Posted 11:57am

White Knight Chronicles II Interview

As the release of White Knight Chronicles II, exclusively on PS3, draws closer, we got in touch with the game’s director Yoshiaki Kusuda to talk about the story behind WKC II and the future of the series.

White Knight Chronicles Returns To PS3 And Debuts On PSP

Tell us about the story in White Knight Chronicles II

The game takes place one year after the events of the original White Knight Chronicles. A year after the return of the Yshrenian Empire, Leonard and his companions come back together to protect the Kingdom of Balandor, the Archduchy of Faria and the Free City of Greede from the Yshrenian Empire, and end up having to save the entire world.

Two new characters will also play key parts in the story: Miu, the daughter of Archduke Dalam; and the mysterious Scardigne. There is civil unrest in the Archduchy of Faria, with one faction trying to protect Miu and another militant faction trying to spark a revolution. Scardigne belongs to the former, but you’ll need to play the actual game to fully understand the role he takes in the story.

White Knight Chronicles II will bring a satisfying conclusion to the conflict between Yshrenia and the other powers, and to the stories of Grazel, Leonard, and Princess Cisna.

What influenced the original White Knight Chronicles?

We wanted it to be a sort of majestic fantasy, with heroic elements that would appeal to RPG fans. In the original White Knight Chronicles you saved a princess, and in the sequel you have to save the whole world.

Along the way, players will transform into a Knight to do battle with gigantic enemies, and there may even be a little love story in amongst all of the fighting. During their adventures, the players will gradually solve mysteries such as the origin of the Knights and the effects they have on the world. I think the game will help both children and adults remember some things that we tend to forget in our modern lives.

White Knight Chronicles Returns To PS3 And Debuts On PSP

What gameplay improvements have been made to the sequel?

We made a number of changes to improve the game’s pacing, such as better response time in battles and having gauges fill up while a special move is being performed, which allows you to transition to the next move more quickly. However, just doing that would turn the game into a mindless button masher, so we also added elements where the player has to attack his opponent just at the right time. This adds element of strategy has slightly increased the difficulty of battles.

For example, since you can now guard whenever you want, you can avoid getting stunned when an enemy makes a powerful attack by guarding at just the right time. Or, you might use an area-of-effect attack the instant an enemy summons a group of smaller enemies. Strategy is definitely more important in this game.

Why did you decide to include the original game with its sequel on the same Blu-ray Disc?

When we were creating White Knight Chronicles II, the first thing we thought about was what form the product would take. A sequel would usually be sold as a separate package that you could buy on its own and play without the original game if you wanted. However, in the case of a game like White Knight Chronicle,s you also have the online gaming side which means it’s difficult to keep the sequel completely separate from the original. We considered a number of possibilities, like making an expansion that would require the original game.

But that would limit our audience to people who had purchased the first game and wanted to play more. The number of PS3 owners has increased since the first White Knight Chronicles was released, which gives us a chance to attract new players, so we decided that including the original game on the disc was the best solution.

White Knight Chronicles

Will there be more WKC games in the future?

White Knight Chronicles II concludes the story started in the first game, so for the moment we don’t have any plans for more games in the series. However, we will be releasing additional quests in the form of downloadable content. And you never know. If there’s strong support for another sequel…

What is your favourite RPG?

Tactics Ogre. It’s a fairly old game now but the story and game world were fantastic. It’s one of those games that I could just sit back and enjoy.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

104 Comments 12 Author replies
Show oldest first
dean-75- 23 May, 2011 @ 12:42 pm   1

FIRST !!!!!!!!!

I Have a question if anyone has any real info….

Will they really separate the US and EU servers? Cause that would be a HORRIBLE decision! I live in the UK but more than half my wkc friends list is US/Canadian. Plus the game tries its best to get people to make guilds, and the 2nd game even has guild specific towns and items…..so splitting the servers is just annoying, cause its just going to split the guilds that are already in WKC1.

shaolinsword 23 May, 2011 @ 12:43 pm   3

This is a must buy for me but I really hope they’ve made the game harder. It was rediculously easy when you transform into the White Knight, espeially the final battle

BigBoss587 23 May, 2011 @ 12:45 pm   4

@ Ross Alexander

Sorry to post this here, but do you know why Play.Com isn’t accepting orders for the inFAMOUS 2′s Hero Edition, from outside of the UK ?

Thank you very much.

AnthonyDwyer 23 May, 2011 @ 12:50 pm   5

while this games looks great, is there any news for the PSN store or any additional news on the welcome back program? the whole episode is getting tiresome and I have opted out of buying any games until the system is fully restored.

Immortal-Wolf- 23 May, 2011 @ 12:54 pm   6

playstation store should be back on 24th may if not by some technical problems then should be 31st may. plus Black ops map pack 2 should be in playstation store 3rd june.

Do you know when this game will be released ? It’s been announced for May, but we still don’t have a precise date.

Ross Alexander 23 May, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

We’ll be announcing the release date later this week. Stay tuned.

Otaku_BAKA 23 May, 2011 @ 12:56 pm   8

Can you guys confirm if the 10th of June is the actual release date? Or is it still tba?

xchris2008x 23 May, 2011 @ 1:22 pm   9

release date please? have had this game on pre order since it 1st came available to pre order.

KrisSilver 23 May, 2011 @ 1:28 pm   10

This looks pretty cool Ive never played the first one will there be a demo?

SolidGreg 23 May, 2011 @ 1:31 pm   11

Any word on NI NO KUNI ??

June 1st is apparently the release date, at least in France

For BigBoss587, it’s because the box is too big, they don’t send biggest packages outside UK

Lucreto 23 May, 2011 @ 1:41 pm   14

Can’t wait for the game.

@BigBoss587

Play.com have a weight and size restriction on international deliveries.

almighty-slayer 23 May, 2011 @ 1:43 pm   15

@BigBoss

Because play.com suck

Question if someone know: Can I get trophies for WKC1 by playing it in WKC2?

Ross Alexander 24 May, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

Yes, you can get trophies playing the first WKC on the Blu-Ray with WKC II.

No, to get WKC1 trophies, you must play WKC1.

TERRYKOF 23 May, 2011 @ 2:19 pm   18

WAY……THIS GAME, THIS LANGUAGEM IN PORTUGUESE BRAZIL…..OH MY GOOD
..NOTE 10!

StuDevo 23 May, 2011 @ 2:21 pm   19

Release Date please? I really want this game.

Izorpo 23 May, 2011 @ 2:26 pm   20

my pre-order still says the 10th of June- so far seen that date at shopto.net, hmv and now game plus some other online retailers

curious though will the word censor filter be fixed – come on until, confusing, controller, bigger – exactly how are these words offensive? it’s very frustrating for english speakers

also as it looks like new powers will be included – how exactly will that affect our characters? especially those who have gone through all class skill sets – will be able to remake our characters again? will some of the rare drops be made easier to come by?

also our georama towns – obviously new items – but will 2 make the georama less of a money pit?

Slarth 23 May, 2011 @ 2:26 pm   21

Can you transfer your Save file from WKC1 to WKC2? Also can we have a release date please? Looking forward to it,

Many Thanks :)

BohKing 23 May, 2011 @ 2:29 pm   22

Information on international servers if you have it please. Still gonna buy if its EU/US split but it would lessen my enjoyment of the game a lot.

Cotrip 23 May, 2011 @ 2:37 pm   23

Nothing new. =/

Tabs85 made an interesting question, will this game have different servers for EU and NA? If yes, would be a shame. Also, any chances to play with my NA account using the online pass of the EU WKC2 game? (that’s possible with Dead Space 2)

Luis_FFgamer 23 May, 2011 @ 2:41 pm   24

Now the important question…. release date?? :D

Thomaskill71 23 May, 2011 @ 2:42 pm   25

LightningSamus 23 May, 2011 @ 3:10 pm   26

Never beat the first games, still have it.

I do not know why.

Luis_FFgamer 23 May, 2011 @ 3:13 pm   27

@26 you should give it a change. I have clocked around 350 hours already, and will only stop when i get my copy of WKC2. The game is amazing online, and the community is awesome.

SurrealNightmare 23 May, 2011 @ 3:19 pm   28

I hope you’re able to provide new information about WKC: Origins as well since I plan on picking that up for PSP as well as White Knight Chronicles II.

It’s funny that Kusuda mentions that Tactics Ogre is his favourite game since its PSP remake was released just a couple of months ago. I read that they made a lot of changes from the original, but I really enjoyed that game too.

Also, do you know if there will be any new dynamic themes added to the store like there were for the 1st game?

Ross Alexander 24 May, 2011 @ 5:30 pm

Good news….

More info on WKC: Origins coming very soon indeed. Look out for a Q&A with one of the dev team.

Bad news….

No dynamic themes, I’m afraid.

obiadekanobi1980 23 May, 2011 @ 3:27 pm   29

never played them myself personaly was put off by the online side of things. my question is are the single player elements there own story or do u have to play online as i cant stand online rpgs they just dont feel as personal to me like final fantasy are id give the game a whirl otherwise and are the trophies for 1 sp or are there online ones as well my m8 was playing it and he said the one trophy was to earn/collect 10,000,000 gold or something? if so count me out im still trying to get the weapon master trophy on ff its been 5 months and 3 complete playthroughts and i still havent heard the ping of the trophy that and the master evryones board trophy is driving me mad it took me a good 400+ hrs to get where i am on ff13 and i have finaly given up.\
so if this rpg is along the same line count me out,but if singleplayer is good without going online i might pick it up!!!

HEY ITS TWO FULL GAMES FOR THE PRICE OF 1 THAT CANT BE ALL BAD WISH KZ3 AND THE OTHER DEVS FOR SONY WOULD DO THIS THEN THEY COULD JUSTIFY US PAYING NEARLY 50 QUID FOR A NEW RELEASE

xx-InFeRnAL-xx 23 May, 2011 @ 3:30 pm   30

Welcome Back Program for PSN???
Oh my god how long we must wait?!…SCEE shame on you…

Ahkiva 23 May, 2011 @ 3:34 pm   31

I moved from the states but still used a US PSN account to play WKC1, I don’t want to lose my character data, and I heard there’d be an online pass in this copy of the game(like in Japan). Will I be able to use the online pass on my US PSN with the PAL version?

Also, will the servers for EU and the US be separate because of the difference in release dates?

Djvilas 23 May, 2011 @ 4:02 pm   32

Hope you can answer this.

People say “Sony” confirmed that the STORE is coming back on Tuesday 24′th of May. Is that true?

ShoaibO 23 May, 2011 @ 4:08 pm   33

Everyone but Sony thinks the store is back tommorow, be a sweetheart James and answer this?

kivi95 23 May, 2011 @ 4:15 pm   34

31# Sony have never confirmed it will be back this tuesday but their are rumors that are saying that sony said to devolepers that it will be back tomorrow.

ShInMeSsAtSu101 23 May, 2011 @ 4:26 pm   35

can not wait for this game to come out waiting for it for ages

ShadowDoGGG 23 May, 2011 @ 4:31 pm   36

Hasn’t this been in America for ages?

Everyone should boycott any product which takes longer than 2 weeks to arrive in EU.

Ross Alexander 24 May, 2011 @ 5:31 pm

It’s not been released in the US yet at all.

It’s launching in Europe first and then coming to the US a little later.

CodeMonkey_UK 23 May, 2011 @ 4:34 pm   37

At what point is the store coming back up? My loyalty is seriously being tested. Japanese / Asian gamers must be rioting by now!

I hate trophies! If it weren’t for them i’d be less hesitant in jumping ship. That and i want those freebies.

I hope for Sony’s sake they realise how much this whole farce has infuriated loyal consumers.

ZzStalkerzZ 23 May, 2011 @ 4:41 pm   38

2 things:
No1 whats with the childish “first” comment?
No2 Is there any CONCRETE WORD on the store?I said i would stay loyal to SONY,and i know their working hard but i find my patience being tested after all basically SONY has said “Heres a welcome back pack to say sorry for the network being down.Sorry you can’t get it, that part of the network is still down”.Come on SONY,FIX IT!

Ahkiva 23 May, 2011 @ 4:43 pm   39

why would he know about the store? stop asking about it, this is a game article for White Knight 2, the store will be up when it’s up

procion 23 May, 2011 @ 5:09 pm   40

I’m stillof a mind on whether to get this title(again)or not. The reason I sold the first game was that I was sick of being made to go back over an hours gametime for dying in a mission. It needed checkpoints or A checkpoint before the boss battle at the end of certain segments. Also the jp part about it made extremely childish and simple looking viz char conversations and some aspects of gameplay. I did like the georama tho and the idea of two games on one disc interests me again. Might wait until it’s cheaper so that I do not get stung again…
Bring on Ico & SotC & The Last Guardian Sony. Now there is a man with extraordinary talent.

Ahkiva 23 May, 2011 @ 5:26 pm   41

#40, missions are no trouble in a group online, which is how those missions were meant to be played. Many people tried to just solo them offline but that’s not what they were designed for. Only at much higher GR levels would you usually be able to solo a mission from a lower GR

DBcoopmore 23 May, 2011 @ 6:11 pm   42

This sounds pretty interesting. Was thinking of getting the first when that first came out but was a little weary of it for some reason. Thankfully by getting this one I’ll have both! Awesome!

UNIT-Commanda 23 May, 2011 @ 6:15 pm   43

yawwn boring where’s mw3 already

ShadowDoggg this game comes out in America Aug 31 (according to Amazon US) so if you want to boycott a game that comes out in America 2 months AFTER the EU, well now’s your chance. The US blog hasn’t even mentioned this game (I don’t know how that’s possible but I can’t find anything.

ShadowDoGGG 23 May, 2011 @ 6:50 pm   45

@rjejr Meh. Still don’t like it.

SGTSTEELFACE 23 May, 2011 @ 6:54 pm   46

@anyone at sony give us an answer on the store

perrandy 23 May, 2011 @ 7:14 pm   47

i’m gonna but this title as soon as it comes to NA. its pretty weird that the u.s blog hasnt mentioned this title at all.it must be because of the immense popularity of first person shooters and platformers galore!

its really sad to be an rpg fan in america nowadays.btw, any idea why the american blog hasnt updated yet??:(

perrandy 23 May, 2011 @ 7:14 pm   48

meant buy hehe…

TheRedMage 23 May, 2011 @ 7:19 pm   49

Woooo WKC2! Hopefully it won’t have the same slap-in-the-face type ending that the first one had <.<
Also, I finally have some friends to play it online, so hurray for me, I guess :)

xXMUDDLESXx 23 May, 2011 @ 7:29 pm   50

You are logged in as xXMUDDLESXx. If you are not xXMUDDLESXx, click here to logout.

any one wanna try convince me that WKC is worth getting.. i was toying with the idea on the first one… but im not too sure now…

Load all