Posted 5:14pm

Uncharted: Golden Abyss, WipEout 2048, Little Deviants And More NGP Games Officially Unveiled

Introducing NGP - The Next Generation of Portable Gaming

Since NGP, or next generation portable gaming system, was announced back in January, I know you have been itching to find out more about the hardware and the games we’re going to be able to play and how they make use of the innovative new controls.

Now, we are finally able to lift the lid on some of the NGP titles currently in development. I also managed to grab interviews with some of the developers at an event held in London recently, where journalists got their hands around all of the games listed below.

Without further ado, here are the games:

Uncharted: Golden Abyss

Nathan Drake’s first portable adventure is developed by Bend Studio, the team behind the acclaimed Resistance Retribution on PSP. It promises to retain the crucial elements of the Uncharted titles – adventure, thrilling action and top-notch storytelling – and the familiar control scheme, while also introducing innovative options such as touch and tilt controls. Check out my interview with John Garvin, Creative Director at Bend Studio.

Uncharted-P_Cliff-Opening_01snaketemple_05

snaketemple_02

WipEout 2084

Taking one of the most celebrated PlayStation series in a new prologue, WipEout 2048 is set during the birth of anti-grav racing and features a greater near-future environments than we have become used to since the original soared onto PlayStation in 1995. Perhaps the most exciting feature is the ability to play against PS3 racers on WipEout HD Fury via cross-play with PlayStation 3. Check out my interview with Graeme Ankers, Game Director at Studio Liverpool.

WipEout 2048_screenshot_4WipEout 2048_screenshot_3

WipEout 2048_screenshot_6

Little Deviants

Little Deviants is a series of madcap adventures that will showcase the multitude of features and functions your NGP possesses, including rear touch pad, touch screen, the motion sensor, front and rear cameras, augmented reality and microphone. Check out my interview with Richard Ogden, Game Design Director at Bigbig Studios.

LD_BotzBlast_Game_02LD_Whack_Game02

LD_HoleRoleControl_View03

Reality Fighters

Reality Fighters_select_your_fighterReality Fighters_fight

Previously unannounced, Reality fighters is an augmented reality fighting game in which you can capture yourself using the NGP camera and duke it out against other fighters around the world, in the world as you see it through the NGP camera.

Super Stardust Delta

ssdelta_Screenshot_1

The mesmerising PlayStation Network shooter comes to NGP using the dual analog sticks to control the action the familiar way, plus touch screen and motion sensing controls to add something new.

Sound Shapes (working title)

Soundshapes_SqRunninglevel_1

Play, compose and share on NGP in a unique take on the side-scrolling platformer, where you create music with your actions using the touch screen and share them with the PlayStation Network community.

Hustle Kings

Hustle Kings_Screenshot_4Hustle Kings_Screenshot_2

The king of pool games rolls onto NGP, bringing stunning graphics and a stylish art style and adding precision controls via the touch screen and rear touch pad.

Everybody’s Golf
Tee off with the latest iteration of everybody’s favourite golf series from ClapHanz. You can shoot for a birdie using traditional, touch and tilt controls and take on the world in effortless online multiplayer.

Resistance Retribution

You will be able to play your PSP games from the PlayStation Store on NGP. Resistance Retribution is just one example, and you’ll be able to revisit James Grayson’s voyage across Europe using NGP’s dual analog sticks.

Suffice to say, this is just the very tip of the cherry and we’ll have a lot more to talk about at E3, which is just a few days away. We’re interested to know what you think of this line-up so please leave your comments and I’ll respond in kind.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

62 Comments 10 Author replies
Show oldest first
Nazar_Ops 2 June, 2011 @ 5:16 pm   1

Nice, maybe getting NGP. will think. FIRST!

GarryKE 2 June, 2011 @ 5:18 pm   2

Oh. My. God. I adore Wipeout. But will it not be available on PS3? I’m not really a fan of hand-held consoles so I doubt I will be getting an NGP.

Amazing. Just don’t make it too expensive!

SmoggyPhil 2 June, 2011 @ 5:24 pm   4

It’s got my interest somewhat, but I still highly doubt that Sony will ever be able to dominate the handheld market as much as Nintendo.

spikkle 2 June, 2011 @ 5:25 pm   5

Loks awesome you guys.

I know it will cost a fair amount, but for the love of jeez, please dont let it be tioo much.

Stupid question, but can i play PSP games on it? Like backward compatibility.

James Gallagher 3 June, 2011 @ 10:00 am

You can play any PSP games that you download from PlayStation Store and some, such as Resistance Retribution, will have remapped controls so you can use the dual analog sticks.

WillPG1212 2 June, 2011 @ 5:27 pm   6

hey SonyBend! love you guys… quick question

When will we see a current gen Syphon Filter… been waiting long for this one :’(

SGTSTEELFACE 2 June, 2011 @ 5:28 pm   7

welcome back package news? sorry to be a pest

Morfi79 2 June, 2011 @ 5:30 pm   8

If the price is right I’m on. If it ain’t I’m waiting for the price to be right :) Not willing to pay more for a Handheld console than the current PS3 price …

Guillemots 2 June, 2011 @ 5:30 pm   9

BOOOOOOM :D

WELCOME BACK SONY!

iriihutoR48 2 June, 2011 @ 5:31 pm   10

I’m getting really interested in the NGP but I am worried about the price being to high. If it’s released this autumn with the tons of cool games coming out, it will be hard to afford one.

nurse_sansam 2 June, 2011 @ 5:38 pm   11

This looks like a great line-up and a def day one buy for me.

The big news for me is that I will be able to play all my PSP games on it :)

Nice to see AR being used in some cool ways

Darkscorpius 2 June, 2011 @ 5:39 pm   12

Sweet as… I’ll be picking it up and Uncharted, Wipeout and Stardust.

Hezkore 2 June, 2011 @ 5:39 pm   13

NGP seems great, might be getting the Xperia Play too… But what about our Welcome Back Package? :/
I want my 2 free games! x(

Superking190x 2 June, 2011 @ 5:43 pm   14

Superstardust HD on a handheld? JUST HOOK IT TO MY VEINS!!!! :D:D:D:D:D

polynski 2 June, 2011 @ 5:46 pm   15

ngp(next generation portable console) when nggc (next generation games console) going to be announced hopefully it is something really cool like visor helmets and interactive gloves or a tv with a built in blu ray player that plays games and the tv has built in ps eye motion sense/camera technology

polynski 2 June, 2011 @ 5:50 pm   16

with the added option to use your standard daulshock 3 playstation controller

Lirion 2 June, 2011 @ 5:50 pm   17

Can’t wait for this thing!

Pesico 2 June, 2011 @ 5:51 pm   18

Info blowout today! Obviously looking forward to Uncharted: Golden Abyss allready. Super Stardust Delta was a very nice surprise and Resistance Retribution with two analog sticks will finally let me play that.

almighty-slayer 2 June, 2011 @ 5:55 pm   19

Seriously just WOW it all sounds so amazing. Cross platform play, Uncharted sounds amazing, WipEout sounds brilliant, a new Super Stardust. Shocked.

DAY ONE

Stocko 2 June, 2011 @ 5:55 pm   20

SICCKKK! Uncharted Looks incredible, the graphics are par PS3, now make it a good price (£200) then its an insta buy from me, looking good sony! Can’t wait for a new Everybody’s Golf game, i love that series!

Carnivius_Prime 2 June, 2011 @ 5:59 pm   21

See, now that’s a proper handheld device unlike the shovelware machines from Nintendo.

Loving the idea of portable Uncharted but I hope the touchscreen stuff is optional. I loathe all garbage. Just makes me worried there’s gonna be even more cheapass iphone porting… The graphics on Uncharted there are are certainly the best ever seen on a handheld even far surpassing the God of War games on PSP

James Gallagher 3 June, 2011 @ 10:08 am

Yes, it’s totally optional. You can play through the whole game and not use it. Then again, I found it pretty useful in places. The best part is that when your climbing a cliff face and you can see the ‘path’ of rocks and ledges you’re going to need to traverse, rather than take it step by step you can draw the path on the touch screen and Drake will follow it. It really streamlines those sections. There are also puzzles where you take rubbings of a pattern in the stone by rubbing the screen.

Carl-G 2 June, 2011 @ 6:02 pm   22

Hustle Kings looks cool :P Might have to get NGP/PSP2 when it comes out. SONY ARE THE GODS OF GAMING! ! !;)

almighty-slayer 2 June, 2011 @ 6:04 pm   23

Great interviews by the way James. Nice work, thanks man :)

link1983 2 June, 2011 @ 6:08 pm   24

Was this report released pre-e3 because of the PSP GO 2 years ago?

Gam3roff 2 June, 2011 @ 6:10 pm   25

This looks like a stellar lineup already! Can’t wait to see it all in action at the E3 press conference!

BLEACH-Fan 2 June, 2011 @ 6:14 pm   26

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me a few of these are launch games espeically Uncharted

BLEACH-Fan 2 June, 2011 @ 6:16 pm   27

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease tell me a few of these are launch games espeically Uncharted and Wipeout

polynski 2 June, 2011 @ 6:17 pm   28

oh so operation raccoon city is what happens behind the scenes of the ps1 classic resident evil 2? incase your wondering why im so of topic it cuz i jus watched operation raccoon city and asura wrath trailer which showed me what theyre bout about n tbh they dont look very appealing

Basket21 2 June, 2011 @ 6:35 pm   29

Will all the mini’s and ps1 games i bought from PSN through the ps3 .. also be playable on the NGP ?

Or do i have to buy everything again like with the playstation phone?

James Gallagher 3 June, 2011 @ 10:12 am

As you long as you bought the PSP games from the Store then you won’t have to buy them again, you can just download them from your download list.

KylieDog 2 June, 2011 @ 6:39 pm   30

No Elena in Uncharted, no buy.

GothicCard 2 June, 2011 @ 7:13 pm   31

Looks nice, games sound great. Not sure about all this social stuff though. Lets hope its not to dear,and they dont keep realising updated versions as often as they have with the PSP.

Def going to be getting one.

Neonfast 2 June, 2011 @ 7:15 pm   32

it’s been said but PLEASE do not over price this product!!!!!!

I’m not going to play the Little Deviants video because I have a mental image of him saying “Jus’ like that” :D

Mr_Freaker 2 June, 2011 @ 7:36 pm   34

Why releasing this now?
Wouldn’t it have been better to wait till monday or tuesday?

ChrisEngdahl 2 June, 2011 @ 7:40 pm   35

I kinda have a crush on James, and of course UNCHARTED!!!

rexel1 2 June, 2011 @ 7:52 pm   36

Uncharted sounds amazing. I can’t wait for the machine and games to be out.

Please Sony release it in the UK before xmas :-)

reeferchief 2 June, 2011 @ 7:55 pm   37

New Wipeout looks impressive.

looks like you’re missing some of those planned edits in the little deviants interview :D

Great media blowout though. I’m more pumped about the “NGP” than ever!

Hamusuta_SWE 2 June, 2011 @ 8:42 pm   39

So people who already purchased the PSP games like resistance retribution will have to pay again to play on NGP? Sorry I won’t even touch the NGP if that’s the case.

James Gallagher 3 June, 2011 @ 10:14 am

As long as you purchased the digital version from PlayStation Store then you won’t have to buy it again.

Dante_Zero 2 June, 2011 @ 9:03 pm   40

NGP is D1P for me. i’m glad it’ll have cross play with some ps3 games as well. I wounder if the NGP trophy system will link in with ps3 aswell. The only concern i have is if i bought stuff on psn will i be able to use it on NGP with out having to buy it again. psyched about E3 though.

Sw1tch 2 June, 2011 @ 9:55 pm   41

Sinec wipeout 2048 have cross-platform, does that mean we gonna have an new add-on for wipeout HD? please say yes I love the serie since the first one.

SkillfulSage 2 June, 2011 @ 11:40 pm   42

HAS THE NETWORK BEEN HACKED AGAIN ALREADY???

twinlight2 3 June, 2011 @ 12:04 am   43

Probably getting this and Wipeout on day one. If they drop the specs I’m might wait. I want a top of the line product and I want it tied in with the PS3.

I want it to be possible to use it as a heads up display for PS3 games and as a controller.

xiiNeoNz 3 June, 2011 @ 1:42 am   44

Is it true Sony’s been hacked AGAIN? It says that on BBC News? :( I hope not

chrisandsheva 3 June, 2011 @ 4:03 am   45

seen the small print saying design and spec’s subject to ‘change without notice’ .. what’s new? … so if those video’s look good (gameplay/graphic’s etc) what’s to make ‘some’ of us think that it’s because there’s a chip in it now that won’t be in it on release and it’s only another scheme to part people from money etc. .. i won’t be gettin one even if it is genuine, and a few week’s ago i’d of posted a remark or two if i’d of read a post like this but it’s funny just how much someone’s opinion’s can change over a few week’s… just couldn’t care less about this stuff anymore…… still bitter.

procion 3 June, 2011 @ 4:19 am   46

What’s that catchphrase we see SCEA using at the end of its many Playstation games trailers again? Oh that’s right, here’s how it goes… PS3: It Only Does Everything As Long As It’s Only AnyONEsinglething So It Does Not Overtax It’s RAMless Little Freezing Head. 256mb of RAM was an extremely unfunny joke of an amount to put in an operating system even 4 years ago when PS3 debuted. Hence the many games that freeze on the system no doubt in part because of it’s lack of RAM. Try going thru to a prompted link on the net when in Home is another example. If you are not waiting 2 minutes for the promised website to finally appear(White Knight has a link therein at mo as an example), the whole system might just freeze up on you instead. NGP has 4 times the amount of RAM of the PS3. Will this current RAMMAGE cut the mustard or will we have another lemon in our hands. Also are my hands going to turn into widows claws like they do trying to comfortably hold the psp. Pretty PR images aside, I really NEED to try NGP out for a few hours before I buy it, just to be on the safe side…

TroubleMaker411 3 June, 2011 @ 5:43 am   47

Was hoping for a killzone game for the NGP.
Cool line-up though. Wipeout should be awesome

GothicCard 3 June, 2011 @ 7:03 am   48

It says you can re-download your PSP games bought from the Store.

What about all the people that have bought their games on UMD? Is there going to be any deals/offers to download them for the NGP?

What about another Resistance off shoot game like Resistance Retribution, it is such a brill game.

I have seen it mentioned on dif web sites; prices from £200 to £299. Hope get the price info & release dates confirmed at E3.

Sup James, nice interviews, why wasnt there any footage of the said games though?!

Gamespot, Gametrailers, IGN etc has gameplay footage?

James Gallagher 3 June, 2011 @ 10:16 am

I didn’t get any in time but E3 is just a few days away and I expect we’ll get tonnes there.

SGTSTEELFACE 3 June, 2011 @ 8:04 am   50

welcome back package today? i guess it will be streamlined with us update of it

Load all