Posted 2:30pm

Happy 20th Anniversary, Sonic The Hedgehog

S20A_Still_Unstoppable

I’m sure you’re all already aware of this, but today marks a very special occasion for us here at SEGA: Sonic the Hedgehog – the world’s fastest spinning hero – is celebrating 20 unstoppable years.

Back in 1991 you would have probably been sat there in your stone-washed jeans and LA Gear trainers listening to the Jazzy Jeff/Fresh Prince classic ‘Summertime’ (if you were cool enough that is), wondering if life could have gotten any better. Little did you know that you were about to meet a true gaming icon, and hero for a generation, in the shape of a blue hedgehog; a certain Sonic the Hedgehog.

From the day Sonic the Hedgehog was released on the SEGA Mega Drive back in June 1991, Sonic has celebrated some major milestones. Defined by his startling super-fast speed, in the twenty years since Sonic first graced our consoles, Sonic has starred in more than 65 games and notched up over 70 million sales worldwide – becoming a global phenomenon in the process. That’s quite some achievement and one that the team here at SEGA are all extremely proud of.

S20A_Poster_Image

To help celebrate this momentous occasion we have released a celebratory Sonic 20th Anniversary Bundle on PlayStation Store. This bundle collects the original Sonic the Hedgehog, Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure (and the DX Upgrade pack), Sonic 4: Episode 1 and a beautiful dynamic theme taken from the world of Sonic 4. This bundle will only be available for 20 days and represents a 50% saving against buying all these titles individually. Pricing for this time-limited bundle is £13.99/€17.99/AU$27.95 and, like Sonic, you’ve got to be quick to take advantage of this offer.

That’s not the only thing we have available to celebrate though – from today we have the Sonic Generations demo available for download, and as this blog post is sponsored by the number twenty, you can probably guess how long this demo will be available for. Once we hit July 12th this demo will no longer be available, so to experience the next step in Sonic’s evolution visit PlayStation Store to download and experience the 2D mode of Green Hill Zone today.

We have also created three free static themes to celebrate Sonic’s 20th Anniversary and these should be available for you to download next week; there’s nothing like eeking out the moment out for as long as possible, is there?

To end, I thought I’d leave you on a slightly educational note, and help fill in some of the gaps in your ‘history of gaming’ knowledge. Did you know the origins of our blue friend? He was actually born from a contest to create a new SEGA mascot and Sonic’s first humble appearance was as a toy hanging from the rear-view mirror in the little-known arcade racing game Rad Mobile. It’s been a meteoric rise to global superstardom since though!

CG_sonic_

So, here’s to twenty years of our blue friend, and here’s to another twenty more.

Over at eu.playstation.com we’ve asked a group of game developers and industry figures to share their first memories of Sonic; join in and let us know in the comments where you first saw him flash before your eyes.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

70 Comments 19 Author replies
Show oldest first

obiadekanobi1980 23 June, 2011 @ 2:32 pm   1

happy 20th…. year of constantly re releasing the same game over and over and over and…. you get the picture cant wait for the new 1 as at least itll be a NEW game bad as ninty with that fat annoying plumber and his green wearing boyfriend…….

Happy birthday sonic

Mike, Your blog post doesn’t work :(

I’ve tried pressing Up, Down, Left, Right, holding A and pressing START but nothing happens ;)

Catkiller1 23 June, 2011 @ 2:43 pm   4

Long time no see Mike!

Hope you’re enjoying your career with SEGA.

Any chance you could ask the team to consider releasing Sonic 3, Sonic & Knuckles, Sonic Spinball, Sonic CD, & possibly Sonic Adventure 2?? The first 3 for free to Plus Members??

Any news on a release date for Sonic Episode 2?

Kind Regards

Mike Kebby 24 June, 2011 @ 11:23 am

I couldn’t possibly speculate on anything, but thanks for the niceties!

Skookie30 23 June, 2011 @ 2:43 pm   5

HAPPY BIRTHDAY “Blue Blur” Sonic

@Mike you have missed a great opportunity here on 20th anniversary instead of more recycle games you could give us sonic 10th anniversary sonic adventure-2 DX

dont tell me it will be 20 years to get sonic adventure-2 dx you not working with SCEE now let them be slow releasing content.

lastly where is comix zone and golden axe comming has that been canned.

ps please a rpg with trophies shining in the darkness, shining force 1/2 & landstalker. :|

Mike Kebby 24 June, 2011 @ 11:24 am

Comix Zone and Golden Axe are still coming, they are the last two games we’re releasing as part of the Plus promotion (and also released via the store too).

In an odd way I’ve kind of grew up with sonic i’m 24. I first played sonic on the master system and been playing ever since the Mega Drive/Sega Genesis versions of sonic are my favorite. I thought sonic 4 episode 1 was a step in the right direction for the modern sonic.

Mike Kebby 24 June, 2011 @ 11:27 am

Glad to hear it :) I was still working at SCEE when Episode 1 was released and have to admit I was feeling sceptical about it, but I was very pleased with the final result, a definite return to form :)

Hamusuta_SWE 23 June, 2011 @ 2:46 pm   7

Sonic 3 to PSN please? and please skip the episodic sonic 4 and release the full game instead?

Happy Birthday you Blue Hog.

Time to revisit my youth.

greyness123 23 June, 2011 @ 2:48 pm   9

hello mike , any chance you can try get us some sonic avatars maybe ? also what the heck did the sega team do to virtua tennis 4 dude coz its an utter disgrace for online play

Danlisa 23 June, 2011 @ 2:48 pm   10

Oh and Hai Mike. Welcome back to the blog :)

Silent_Gig 23 June, 2011 @ 2:51 pm   11

sonic BOOM

xchris2008x 23 June, 2011 @ 2:51 pm   12

we could do with some Sonic psn avatars Mike!!! :P

enormhi 23 June, 2011 @ 2:54 pm   13

Hey Mike! Missed you ;-)
Happy Birthday Sonic!

Shikome 23 June, 2011 @ 3:01 pm   14

Its a pity you aren’t offering a special offer on the games seperately, especially given that you gave away two of them with Plus recently. :P

Mike Kebby 24 June, 2011 @ 11:29 am

Because we had put them on sale fairly recently we wanted to do something differently to celebrate the big 2-0. This is a time limited bundle too, so once it’s gone, it’s gone!

vonhammer 23 June, 2011 @ 3:05 pm   15

Couldnt help but laugh a bit at the poster “Still unstoppable after 20 years” It’s just a shame the series he’s been crawling around for the last 10 of those years.Only Rush and possibly the GBA ones hit the right notes.

Also picked up Yakuza 4 on saturday,is it wrong i’ve stopped doing the story (which is awesome) and put 10 hours into mahjong in the last two days :)

Mike Kebby 24 June, 2011 @ 11:29 am

The mini games within Yakuza 4 can be just as compelling as the main story :)

you must be joking xchris2008x next week we are going to get some eyepet avatars disguised as sonic! we maybe get some eyepet static themes too, oooh i can’t wait! ¬_¬

Catkiller1 23 June, 2011 @ 3:08 pm   17

@ Shikome

I agree as I received some free & some discounted, some time ago.

It would be nice to discount the games seperately to accomodate users that already have the free games.

You never know, as the team might rethink it & reduce them all next week!

vonhammer 23 June, 2011 @ 3:10 pm   18

Also Mike,any chance the next Yakuza will allow online play in things like mahjong,darts,pool. I know the idea behind End of Day’s,but dont know if it’ll have the traditional gameplay.
As with 3 and 4,i’ll go in blind.

beardyweirdy 23 June, 2011 @ 3:10 pm   19

James i thought you sacked Mike ‘clown’ Kebby for doing awful store updates what the hell is he doing back

Mike Kebby 24 June, 2011 @ 11:30 am

Thanks – missed you too! (You know I didn’t dictate what content publishers released right)?

almighty-slayer 23 June, 2011 @ 3:17 pm   20

Happy birthday, Sonic! Many of your recent games were absolutely terrible, but we still love you :)

Carnivius_Prime 23 June, 2011 @ 3:21 pm   21

Dear Sonic, you’ve always been an incredibly annoying character in really shallow, tedious games but you’ve somehow lasted 20 years so kudos to you and happy birthday.

rabiuddin 23 June, 2011 @ 3:27 pm   22

Does that means Free stuffs ? :D

Has anyone tried the demo, is it worth downloading?

rabiuddin 23 June, 2011 @ 3:28 pm   24

Does that mean free stuff? :D

Labreya 23 June, 2011 @ 3:35 pm   25

Just finished the demo. You only get one act of 2D Sonic, and the demo expires in 20 days.

Thats whole new levels of stingy right there. Hopefully they bring out another, better demo before the full games release.

Skookie30 23 June, 2011 @ 3:39 pm   26

I had a go on it it does look good you know what it is, it‘s a sonic the hedgahog-1 remake you play in green hill level & remember that green hill music well it‘s Back.

1 think i‘m not so happy is i didn’t see any small animals when you destroy the robots but that will change as demo not the full game.

the other gripe about it is if you download it quicky before 20 days before it get pulled there is as well a timer in the game 19 day left it says.

so does that mean it will stop played after 20 days :|

Skookie30 23 June, 2011 @ 3:41 pm   27

my demo says 19 days on the title screen i bet it‘s mike getting back at me for all the time i give him on the store heads up lol :D

DARREN200COOK 23 June, 2011 @ 3:52 pm   28

Sonic, my fav gaming icon. HAPPY BELATED B’DAY! ;)

manutreble 23 June, 2011 @ 3:55 pm   29

happy bday Sonic thx for all th gd times.. any chance of sonic avatars to marked the 20th

ShadowDoGGG 23 June, 2011 @ 3:59 pm   30

More Mario and Sonic collaborations please. I know this is PS blog but I would like something other than them at the Olympics.

vherostar 23 June, 2011 @ 4:23 pm   31

Sorry but if people liked them games they would have bought them already no? Cant see it selling too well even at half price as Sonic has lost his pull nowadays. even Mario did that’s why he now plays tennis and golf.

AaronSOLDIER 23 June, 2011 @ 4:38 pm   32

He pretty much died when Sega did (DreamCast)

Omegabug2003 23 June, 2011 @ 4:49 pm   33

Here’s a little story about my introduction to Sonic.

When I first got my NES back in the mid 80′s I basically became a Nintendo Fan-person, and refused to play anything Sega (let alone Sonic).

Nintendo was it for me – period.

It wasn’t until the Dreamcast came out that I picked up Sonic Adventure and fell in love with it – and Sonic. Since then I’ve dropped the Nintendo ‘tag’ and broadened my horizons.

I’ve just downloaded the Sonic Generations demo and can’t wait to play the full game.

Happy Birthday Sonic :)

leviathan1101 23 June, 2011 @ 4:59 pm   34

I want to see Sonic 3 and Sonic & Knuckles.

ShadowDoGGG 23 June, 2011 @ 5:00 pm   35

Just played it. There is only the old sonic? Should have shown at least both of them to show how they both differ. Most pointless demo ever

Mike Kebby 24 June, 2011 @ 11:32 am

The game isn’t out for a while…we can’t let you have it all just yet right? ;)

Omegabug2003 23 June, 2011 @ 5:01 pm   36

@35 Agreed – it was very fast and very short lol

JonnyPauz 23 June, 2011 @ 5:29 pm   37

happy birthday sonic, on a side note sega when will we have comic zone for ps+ users

Mike Kebby 24 June, 2011 @ 11:33 am

It’s not going to be too much longer, I’ll leave it for James T to confirm dates on the blog though.

shaolinsword 23 June, 2011 @ 5:30 pm   38

Glad to see the demo for Generations is up but more importantly, why don’t I get a Renji avatar? :(

Mike Kebby 24 June, 2011 @ 11:34 am

I’m keeping the Renji avatar for myself (I don’t have it on my PSN ID though, as it’s not an official avatar) :P

kingcrowbaruk 23 June, 2011 @ 5:31 pm   39

Seeing as we already received Sonic 1 and 2 through PS+ for free, the discount doesn’t quite add up to 50%.

Any chance of a separate bundle with just Sonic Adventure, DX and 4?

extermin8or_ 23 June, 2011 @ 5:38 pm   40

unstobable (excluding all the more recent awful games :( ) sonic needs a really good game for once :/ there hasn’t been one in a while… (except the ps store rerelease of of the original

vonhammer 23 June, 2011 @ 5:50 pm   41

“Sonic has lost his pull nowadays.even Mario did that’s why he now plays tennis and golf”

I dont buy that Maro lost it’s pull.I’d argue it’s greater than ever.Just look at NSMB Wii/DS they have a combined sales of just under 50 million :o Add in Maro Kart WII/DS and the sales of those four Maro game is just over 95 million units.That’s more than all the 60 Sonic starred in.

And the Maro games have been consistently great.Yes even Maro Golf was amazing,especially the GBC version.

Bovrillor 23 June, 2011 @ 5:53 pm   42

20 years on, still getting owned by Mario. And rightly so.

mystic2405 23 June, 2011 @ 6:06 pm   43

@ Bovrillor

why did you bother coming on a ps blog and why did you bother posting that post

mystic2405 23 June, 2011 @ 6:09 pm   44

can you please tell us when the 3D demo of this will be up?

Smeghead42 23 June, 2011 @ 6:25 pm   45

You can choose the 3d option from the demo if i’m not mistaken.
What i find weird is why the demo use a earlier build than the E3 one… it’s that or they made changes again… Anyway, happy birthday Sonic!

cspr111 23 June, 2011 @ 6:28 pm   46

I’m 5 months older than Sonic :D

SickMick_UK 23 June, 2011 @ 6:44 pm   47

it was my birthday yesterday cool that Sonic is in the same month

Mike will there be any Sonic Avatars released on PSN

stargateheaven 23 June, 2011 @ 6:55 pm   48

Hmm.
I wish sega would step their game up with their mascot.
If nintendo can do it with mario, why can’t sega?
bring sonic into 2011 without ruining it.

dividsmythe 23 June, 2011 @ 7:19 pm   49

Happy birthday Sonic always loved you always will.Hopefully different set of trophies with new versions of games.It does look good re-done tho

C_L_O_U_D_M_A_N 23 June, 2011 @ 7:47 pm   50