Posted 9:30am

PlayStation Official App Version 1.1 Coming Soon

Since we launched the first version of the PlayStation Official App back in January, we have consistently been keeping an eye on your feedback and ideas on the Blog, Twitter, Android Market and iTunes.

I’m pleased to announce that the next version (1.1) will include some of the most requested features. This new version will be available for download in a few weeks from iTunes and Android Market. Let’s take a look at the new features and improvements.

In the MyPSN section you’ll be able to order your friend list based on their online status and search for friends.

Search Friend

You will now have the ability to compare trophy information with your friends in more detail, as shown in the screenshots below.

Compare Trophy 1Compare Trophy 2

In the Blog section, you’ll now be able to comment directly from the app and also rate the posts in portrait and landscape mode.

Blog Post Comments 1Blog Post Comments 2

Add Comment Portrait

Add Comment Landscape

Share & Discuss

There is a new section in the app called Share & Discuss. In there you’ll find all our official
PlayStation updates from Twitter, Facebook and YouTube.

Share and DiscussTwitter

Please note that this new version will not support Android 1.6 anymore. Please upgrade your firmware before installing the new version of the PlayStation Official App.

I’ll be back on the blog to let you know as soon as the new version becomes available in the meantime you can still install the current version (1.05) and here are some handy QR codes to take you straight to the download page:

Android QRiTunes QR

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

105 Comments 37 Author replies
Show oldest first

Suzzopher 24 June, 2011 @ 9:35 am   1

Cool update. Any chance messaging friends on PSN could happen on the app?

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 10:18 am

Trust me, if we could add this feature it would already be in the app. We can’t do this for now but if this changes I’ll let you all know.

Nihilius90 24 June, 2011 @ 9:36 am   2

Messaging could be really handy. Looks great!

Any plans for blackberry ? :)

FIGHTFULL 24 June, 2011 @ 9:37 am   4

Come On!!! Why not for iPad!

Like Suzzopher I am wondering and hoping for the same. A nice way to trash talk to your friends before you get home. Or arrange/kept aware of things in games (sudden clan challenges in Socom, Black Ops)

smokeypsd 24 June, 2011 @ 9:40 am   6

This will be releasing in Australia right? Everything is lagging. It does not bode well for Vita with the type of device that it is will need stuff like this, however small close to day and date.

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 10:20 am

The app is already available in Australia and this new version will be available across all SCEE countries at the same time.

Still no love for QVGA screens like the wildfire and the Sony-ericsson X10 mini/-pro?

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 10:22 am

no sorry, if we were to support these screens we would have to redesign the app just for small screen devices.

Funtimefitzy 24 June, 2011 @ 9:42 am   8

Needs an iPad app and how many times do we need to ask for the messaging ability before it’s added? If it’s not possible, just say and people will stop asking.

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 10:23 am

messaging is not possible now. If this changes I’ll let you all know

MohammedMK 24 June, 2011 @ 9:42 am   9

Looks great although I had a problem signing in over and over every time I open this app, which made me lose interest in checking it.

Good work anyway, hopefully one day you’ll make our dreams come true and enable us to send messages to our friends on PSN.

Good luck.

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 10:25 am

Ideally we’d like to let you save your PSN details in the app so you don’t have to sign in every time you use the app. But for security reasons we can’t do this.

RingoSmith 24 June, 2011 @ 9:43 am   10

Will this app be made available on WP7 at any point??? please

Clewis94 24 June, 2011 @ 9:46 am   11

The main feature people want is the ability to send messages to your psn friends, where is this feature?. Why does sony never give the top features to there community, i dont understand how microsoft can make these features and sony can’t, you guys need better software staff, dammm

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 10:26 am

I hear what you are saying but we can’t give you this feature for now. If we have a solution at some point I’ll let you know.

AndyBeans 24 June, 2011 @ 9:47 am   12

Cool, v1.0 was a good starter but is eclipsed by other third-party apps such as iTrophies. I reckon a good idea for further development would be:

a) Messaging (although I suppose that opens the door to automated spamming)
b) Team up with PS3Trophies.org to deliver walkthroughs and trophy guides.

Anyway, good work, will be looking forward to updating it on my iPhone (but REALLY looking forward to putting it on my Xperia Play when I get it next month!)

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 10:27 am

Thanks for your feedback AndyBeans. There will be many more updates to the app over time with new features.

F4C33oFF 24 June, 2011 @ 9:48 am   13

Why do we need it? We want to cross game chat on PS3! Are you listening to customer feedback?

bassslammers 24 June, 2011 @ 9:48 am   14

Dont really trust PSN anymore, removed app. The less you know about me the better.

C’mon there needs to be a iPad and tablet version

ShinRuyJin 24 June, 2011 @ 9:49 am   16

ANd the users with a Symbian will not use at all :D

capitales7 24 June, 2011 @ 9:50 am   17

Good features. Nice to be able to compare trophies, as that’s mainly what I wanted to use the app for, but the posting is useful! :D

Cheers.

Xenostar 24 June, 2011 @ 9:51 am   18

Fantastic update, i would love it if you could also build in the comic reader and music unlimited into this app, when/if they get released :D

Also messaging to friends on PSN would be the best thing you could do!

NikeJustDoItNike 24 June, 2011 @ 9:52 am   19

Why no love for blackberry?

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 10:30 am

Nothing against Blackberry but we can’t support all platforms sorry.

AndyBeans 24 June, 2011 @ 9:56 am   20

@Clewis94 If you don’t understand then stop being abusive. XBL is a subscription service, PSN is free, hence Microsoft have more revenue to pour into XBL development. Enabling PSN messaging on third party devices means that hackers and spammers could then create automated systems to set up bogus PSN accounts and then spam all PSN users. This is less likely on XBL because accounts aren’t free and because Microsoft use subscription revenue to pay for extra security and support staff to monitor for abuse such as spam.

If you want cross-platform messaging that much go join XBL, if you want FREE online gaming without being spammed to death then put a lid on your anger and appreciate Sony/PSN a bit more, eh?

hans832009 24 June, 2011 @ 9:56 am   21

Will this new app work on the old HTC Wildfire? The last version didnt, it was one of the reasons I bought myself a smartphone!!

EpicImmenseCurry 24 June, 2011 @ 10:01 am   22

would be nice if we could update our portable ID through this app, I imagine it’d be a lot quicker than doing it through this website.

JediEagleSLO 24 June, 2011 @ 10:11 am   23

Any plans on expanding the countries where the app is available?

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 10:40 am

Maybe we’ll add a few more countries one of the next versions.

twinlight2 24 June, 2011 @ 10:12 am   24

Scanned the QR code. Taken to market.. not found.

How do I get it? I have also searched for Sony, Playstation, PSN and stuff like that and never found the offical app.

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 10:34 am

Hi twinlight2, the app should be there in Sweden… I’ll look into this.

SpartanDavie 24 June, 2011 @ 10:17 am   25

I think the app should auto start in Playstation Blog…

kezla83 24 June, 2011 @ 10:22 am   26

Superb update! Yay for commenting on blogs and comparing trophies in more detail :D

Xenostar 24 June, 2011 @ 10:31 am   27

Teaming up with PS3 trophies.org like others have suggested would be fantastic, to get quick tips on those trophies that are hard to get.

Sort it out boffins.

VictorAnalogy 24 June, 2011 @ 10:32 am   28

I see you’ve cited “security reasons” for why we can’t stay logged in, but I really do think that it is one of the biggest barriers to entry on the app.

All my other online service apps, twitter, facebook, ebuddy all log me in automatically.

I’m wondering if this is a case of shutting the stable door after the horse has bolted, then nailing it shut, welding the hinges and putting 24hr armed security guards on it.

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 10:37 am

I agree with you. It would be so much better if the app could keep you logged in. We can’t do this for now but are still looking into a solution.

Opt1mus76 24 June, 2011 @ 10:32 am   29

No Blackberry version planned? Why not? You support Apple Iphone/Ipad and they are more direct competition to Sony than Blackberry.

Krisp1989 24 June, 2011 @ 10:39 am   30

Would you please consider support for X10 Mini Pro? It’s really annoying, i bought a Sony branded phone and i can’t even use the Playstation app. You would at least think you support your own brand. :|

James Gallagher 24 June, 2011 @ 10:39 am   31

I didn’t realise I had so many more trophies than you, Manu!

rabiuddin 24 June, 2011 @ 10:46 am   32

Hey Emmanuel how are you? Just wanted to ask will the App be coming to Symbian or Java Mobile ? :D

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 10:55 am

Hi rabiuddin, we have no plans to support Symbian or Java Mobile.

vicheous 24 June, 2011 @ 10:50 am   33

Great news! My SE Arc should be here in 1-2 days :D

SilentShadow777 24 June, 2011 @ 10:52 am   34

sorry emmanuel but i think we need a more detailed explaination as to why no blackberry. i realise you are far from the only developer to give only iphone and android versions.

is the blackberry too hard to develop for? was it easier to adapt the iphone version to android?

we honestly need more of a reason than “sorry”, this just comes off as sorry we couldnt be bothered and dont care about blackberry as none of us have one :P

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 11:04 am

Hi SilentShadown777, with iOS and Android support we cover half of the market share of smart phones OS. It’s a question of balancing the reach versus the development resources that we have. Don’t forget this application is free to download ;)

Leon_DiZ 24 June, 2011 @ 10:53 am   35

put it on the iPad guys!

Why no XPERIA X10 MINI support????

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 11:06 am

Because of the screen size we are not able to support Xperia X10 mini

All i need to do now is buy a new phone :D (i got a crapy-non-smartphone) :D
+ do i wait for the iPhone 5? or get the Samsung Galaxy S 2? :P

dgt1983 24 June, 2011 @ 11:02 am   38

Well I have a Nokia X6 on Symbian OS that no one seems to support anymore, so I should expect that theres no chance of me being able to use app. Cant wait for my contract to run out.

I know that Microsoft is your direct competition so it is unlikely to ever happen, but I’ll just put it out there that I would personally love a Windows Phone 7 version of the app. :)

Bazdoctor 24 June, 2011 @ 11:10 am   40

Hi Emmanuel. Will this version fix the Last Online time accuracy issues. I’m from Australia and the last online time is always out by 10 hours. Thanks.

Indentity thef protection plan for Netherlands and other countries that weren´t mentiond earlier, please, Sony, the clock is ticking!!!!!

scottad 24 June, 2011 @ 11:17 am   42

Would it be possible to use the remote play feature through this app?

Good update really like the feature for sorting the friends list by status and the ability to comment on the blog through it :D

Cant get the app either, suppose it’s the same reason as the x10mini, you should consider making a version for us with small screens aswell, I have a Huawei U8150 Ideos Black, really would loved this app!

Sage2626 24 June, 2011 @ 11:28 am   44

Why don’t you want to support WP7 (Windows Phone 7)?

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 12:33 pm

For the same reason that I mentioned earlier when asked about Blackberry support:
    with iOS and Android support we cover half of the market share of smart phones OS. It’s a question of balancing the reach versus the development resources that we have. Don’t forget this application is free to download.

vherostar 24 June, 2011 @ 11:37 am   45

LOL @ people asking about if it will support WP7 The only reason you would choose WP7 over Android (if there was any) is xbox live link up so use it for that. Sony supporting MS software? You ain’t gonna see it.

VenomUK 24 June, 2011 @ 11:55 am   46

Emmanuel there are some great additions and it’s really great that you are supporting the iOS platform as there are so many PSN consumers who have an iPhone. It shows a common sense and open mindedness from your team. Nice to hear about an iPad version too as the current version looks too blurry on the big screen.

The only problem is that there is no permanent sign-in. After the PSN outage I changed my password to something very long and random so I can’t remember it! Which means if I want the functionality of the app then I have to change my password to something simpler. Surely there must be a way to keep us logged in? At least for a 48 hour period.

Are you able to say why messaging is not possible, is it a technical or security issue? What about cross-platform chat videocalls between the app and PS3 users using the PlayStation Eye? ;)

Apart from that keep giving us new features!

Emmanuel Orssaud 24 June, 2011 @ 12:38 pm

Thanks VenomUK.
    To answer your questions:
    - extending PSN session/saving login details.
    -> we can’t do this for security reasons
    - PSN messaging
    -> this is not a security issue.

I like your other ideas.

“Because of the screen size we are not able to support Xperia X10 mini”

Doh, I realize that, its just that almost any app in the marketplace supports the screensize of the mini….yet the PS app does not.

aIMIaZn 24 June, 2011 @ 12:09 pm   48

Messaging will be really handy to this app.
:]

iPad ! iPad ! iPad ! iPad ! iPad ! iPad ! …

DuncsST 24 June, 2011 @ 12:11 pm   50

LOL so still no messaging and still wont remember my details, is there really any use for this app ??

Load all