Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 5:00pm

Digital Comics Store Update (6th July 2011)

blog_featured_image_comicsUpdate2_raw

This is going to be your last comic store update for PSP as the Digital Comics Team are now working on bringing the comic service to other Sony devices. We’ll make sure to keep you updated with any future developments right here on the blog. In the meantime, you can continue to download any of the over 4000 existing comics from the comic store as usual; thanks for your support and we hope you continue enjoying comics on PSP.

I have two lists for you this week including last week’s update as this was not communicated.

Here is this week’s update:

1001 Arabian Nights: The Adventures of Sinbad #5 Zenescope
The Nye Incidents: Free Preview Devil’s Due Digital
The Pound #1 – 2 IDW Publishing
Transformers #19 IDW Publishing
True Blood: Preview IDW Publishing
The X-Files: Free Preview Devil’s Due Digital
Xombie: Reanimated: Free Preview Devil’s Due Digital

Last week’s update can also be found on the Comics Store, here is the full list of what came out:

A Bit of Madness: Free Preview Devil’s Due Digital
Van Von Hunter #19 TOKYOPOP
Wildcats #11 DC Comics
Wonder Woman Vol. 3 #34 DC Comics
The X Files: Volume Two #4 – 7 Devil’s Due Digital
The X Files: Volume Three #1 – 7 Devil’s Due Digital
Y: The Last Man #42 DC Comics

Please visit www.playstationcomics.com for prices and to see the whole catalogue.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

48 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first
Dante_Zero 6 July, 2011 @ 5:06 pm   1

the Sooner you make a ps3 version of the app where i can read comics and have customer soundtracks in the background, the sooner you can have my money for comics. till then. thanks but no thanks

Carnivius_Prime 6 July, 2011 @ 5:09 pm   2

Thanks. I shall take my Doctor Who comics.

Suzzopher 6 July, 2011 @ 5:11 pm   3

Noooo! Please don’t end this. I love this feature on PSP.

Yaster 6 July, 2011 @ 6:23 pm

Ah, you were the first person to read the top paragraph. Fear not, as the announcement says, there is still a future for comics on Sony devices. in the meantime though, the PSP store will no longer receive updates.

Carnivius_Prime 6 July, 2011 @ 5:13 pm   4

Oh hang on I didn’t read that first bit. What the heck? What am I supposed to do then? I buy comics on the PSP cos I don’t have a comic shop anywhere near me and I like having them on my PSP. If I can’t continue the stories I’ve already paid for so far it feels like I’ve wasted my money somewhat.

Yaster 6 July, 2011 @ 6:26 pm

It’s unfortunate you do not have a local comic shop I your area. Although, as the announcement says, comics still has a future, I’d recommend popping into the forums, you can find them linked at http://www.playstationcomics.com and you can start a discussion asking for advice on what the best online retailers for comics are.

Ravenblade86 6 July, 2011 @ 5:13 pm   5

Really disappointing to hear this is going to be the last PSP update while the plans for the future get’s worked out, though talking to Pete on Twitter I can sort of understand the reasoning. Hopefully we won’t have to long to wait before the comics store is back in whatever the new form will be.

Still, some good stuff in this weeks update. The Rocketeer especially catches my attention.

Shou_Kobayashi 6 July, 2011 @ 5:14 pm   6

I guess still nothing planned for Germany…

Besides, can we get our Avatars back? Still not working…:(

@4 I have the exact same sentiments… seriously, f*** that!

tugggernuts 6 July, 2011 @ 5:22 pm   8

is the bottle of awesomeness finished or still their? and is the walking dead coming any time soon?

Talon-000-333 6 July, 2011 @ 5:34 pm   9

Hi please anwser my matter of life and death question.

Issues #7,#8 and #9 of Hack/Slash are missing from the store.Is there any hope?

HazelAM 6 July, 2011 @ 5:39 pm   10

i like the fact that the reader is being worked on for other devices, i hope the ps3 is one of them, but i don’t get why that means there won’t be any more psp updates.

i know i’ve been asking about a ps3 version since the comic store launched, but i meant as well as the psp version, instead of.

and this is announced on the week when we get more free sample issues than we’ve ever got in one go, and no way of knowing when, or even if we’ll ever see any more issues.

why do i get the feeling this is going to be heading exclusively to that experia phone.

Talon-000-333 6 July, 2011 @ 5:41 pm   11

Will we have access to our purchased comics on the new platforms?

Yaster 6 July, 2011 @ 6:30 pm

I don’t have any news about the noted “Sony devices” I’m afraid. It’s still a little early to name names, but what I will advise is to keep an eye on the blog for updates. You will be able to access the content on your psp and will be able to back up to Media Go though.

Dante_Zero 6 July, 2011 @ 5:45 pm   12

Sounds to me like they are shifting over to having it work on Ps certified devices and the main developement being focus on PSvita. Wether or not we see a ps3 version who knows, but you can garuntee this will be available on vita from launch.

HazelAM 6 July, 2011 @ 5:49 pm   13

the vita wont be launching for six or seven months, it’s a bit early to shut up shop in preparation for that.

and abandoning the current users like that to force a new device on them is something i’d expect from ms, not sony.

Zoibie 6 July, 2011 @ 5:53 pm   14

@Ravenblade86 What was the reasoning Pete gave as to why PSP comics were being stopped so early? Publishers not happy with the sales or something?

Dante_Zero 6 July, 2011 @ 5:56 pm   15

@13 these days i’d expect it from both M$ and Sony. SCEE work in mysterious ways these days.

Ravenblade86 6 July, 2011 @ 5:57 pm   16

@14 Zoibie

Not sure how much I can say about that, but it’s nothing to do with sales etc. It’s more to do with contracts changing with publishers thanks to expanding the service to other devices.

nurse_sansam 6 July, 2011 @ 6:03 pm   17

can i request Hellblazer and Aqua-man comics :)

Zoibie 6 July, 2011 @ 6:09 pm   18

@Ravenblade

The comics icon has been shown on the Vita’s menu, so it seems like that’s one of them. And since PSP game content on the Store will be accessible on the Vita, it seems likely that our comics will be available too. I guess I’m OK with that, guess we’ll just have to wait for the Vita for the service to resume.

Ravenblade86 6 July, 2011 @ 6:18 pm   19

@Zoibie

You might see it on other devices before the Vita comes out. Sony set up a new division earlier this year (Sony Network Entertainment) to bring PSN content to other Sony platforms so I’m guessing we might see the comics store pop on things like Sony Ericsson phones etc. but that’s just a guess.

I just hope we don’t end up waiting like six months before we get new comic content on any device, or that the new devices don’t support the format that has been used for comics on the PSP.

AaronSOLDIER 6 July, 2011 @ 6:18 pm   20

First they port all PSP games to PS3 now they’re stopping services. F PSP and Vita I’m sticking with Sony home consoles from now on and get Nintendo handhelds.

Zoibie 6 July, 2011 @ 6:33 pm   21

@Ravenblade

If it goes on to the Xperia Play then there could be a problem there, since you can’t download the PS1 games you’ve bought on PSP/PS3 (although I’m not sure of the setup so I don’t know why that is.) As for not being in a supported format, I can’t imagine that after 4000 comics they would just start again in a new format, I’m sure if there was a problem they’d find some way to make it work. Plus, Pauline once said that the comics that are currently on the Store would look fine on the PS3 in HD, so the quality of the existing comics isn’t an issue for the Vita.

Tridentmorph 6 July, 2011 @ 8:00 pm   22

Sorry to see the service go. Any chance of doing a sale of existing comics to keep the revenue stream going?

ABC-Warrior 6 July, 2011 @ 8:07 pm   23

This is a real shame as it’s become the main use for my PSP! I’m not very happy at the amount of notice given either or the fact that we’re not being told why the PSP is no longer receiving updates. If “other Sony devices” are going to be supported, why not carry on with the PSP too?

Things like this only make consumers hesitate when considering buying in to new services.

For all the countries Sony doesn´t care for, there are some great online shops where you can buy them and they´ll ship them to you!
If you want you can lend them to a friend or sell them on Ebay later on.
There is just no better way to read a comic then from real paper!

Skookie30 6 July, 2011 @ 8:38 pm   25

Ah great SCEE Never ever surprises me 1 more feature to be Nulled just like linux, yaster you were the bringer of Doom & gloom when pauline jump ship.

she got out just in time who ever thought a mod brings bad news lol, 1 question i haven’t seen SCEA comic heads ups is this just us are they effected too?

& what a lame excuse i‘m agree with hazel you could get more man power get more ppl to work with comic team.

hmm wonder what next feature to leave us as against UK law. :|

nickjd331 6 July, 2011 @ 9:52 pm   26

It is incredibly dissspointing to hear that there will be no more comics.

It seems like it will only be a matter of time before the existing comics stop being sold, and are no longer available to download.

I was planning on buying some comics, but I will not any more. I don’t want to buy them, and then loose support for them.

So much for all the requests of bringing it to the PS3, now we will have to request it returning to the PSP.

It would be nice to get these to Finland too also why arent there any resident evil comics ?

Carnivius_Prime 6 July, 2011 @ 10:30 pm   28

@Yaster
Thanks for the advice but it’s no good. I got real comfortable enjoying comics on my PSP. I don’t want them on any other device (cos I only carry my PSP around with me and that’s all I can fit in my pockets or want to take) and I do not want paper comics (I gave up on them cos I hate clutter in my flat and it’s a pain in the butt searching through them all to find a story so I gave away the thousands I used to have, plus the amount of frickin’ ads in paper comics is ridiculous and kills the flow of most stories). I have paid some money to build collection on my PSP and now it seems I’m being told it’ll always be incomplete. If I’d known this I would never have given you any money for the comics at all.

It’s really not good enough and a bit of a kick in the teeth to loyal customers.

blankedboy 6 July, 2011 @ 10:45 pm   29

How does DC’s reboot of the DCU in September and the beginning of “same day” digital releases for all of their comics effect the PS Comic Store?

Will you be offering all of the DC published books in digital format the day they are released in comic stores?

Shadowdragoon 7 July, 2011 @ 5:53 am   30

So, Finaly news that it will come?
Will the store finally be released to the rest of the European countries that do not have access as part of the goodwill program?

When will Norway/Rest of Europe get access?
Cross region gifting option?
PS3 comics reader? (after the release in other countries part)

TheVVolf 7 July, 2011 @ 8:14 am   31

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(
We want Pauline back! She wouldn’t have closed the Comics Store…

Brodiesan 7 July, 2011 @ 10:03 am   32

Comics on the S1 is something that has to happen.

I’m hoping this means updates will start again once the service is set up on other devices? It’s a shame I’ve always thought comics were one of the better more reliable PSN services. But I’ll be happy if they turn Jo on Android (including non SE) , ps3, vita and psp when this work is complete.

LiquidSolid 7 July, 2011 @ 12:09 pm   34

Would you mind telling us what on earth’s going on? Why does expanding to other platforms mean you have to stop providing content to current platforms? Or have you guys screwed up and can’t just port the comic reader over to the PS3 and Vita? If so, wow…

Do only a couple of people run each store on the PSN or something? Cause that’d explain the consistent incompetence.

StefNighthawk 7 July, 2011 @ 12:47 pm   35

As the Comics store wasn’t available in Belgium, I can only respond with a “good riddance!”.
And “Don’t come back unless you are publishing in at least 80% of the SCEE market including Belgium”

Bovrillor 7 July, 2011 @ 3:29 pm   36

No great loss – the comics were always badly out-of-date anyway. Must suck for people who actually used it though.

Norman728 7 July, 2011 @ 4:03 pm   37

I am saddened to see it go. I really only bought the Miniseries or a few favorite issues. I did discover a few Gems I wouldn’t of heard of if not for the store. and then you add a few new Publishers and now POOF. The store was always lousy with updates it was always feast or famine. Does this mean another Comic “shop” is opening? and will our Current Sony devices be Compatible?

TehPhilosopher 7 July, 2011 @ 5:01 pm   38

That’s some impressively vague and incredibly abrupt bad news. And that’s saying a lot since we’re talking about Sony.

I hope SCEE will at least have the decency to enable existing comics on those mystery devices for those who bought them on PSP.

SpiderMike_X 8 July, 2011 @ 4:35 am   39

Focus on UK, please. We’re your bread and butter, after all.

Rocstarr 8 July, 2011 @ 9:27 am   40

cool stuff

HELIX-MONKEY 8 July, 2011 @ 9:52 am   41

great stuff guys , well done

Rocstarr 8 July, 2011 @ 9:56 am   42
Rocstarr 8 July, 2011 @ 12:32 pm   43

game is great

sniperhobbit 8 July, 2011 @ 2:14 pm   44

please make shore all the infamous comics still make it on the store all right :(

Rocstarr 8 July, 2011 @ 2:21 pm   45

love the graphics

Splutterbug 8 July, 2011 @ 4:04 pm   46

Seems crazy to have this on the same month DC announce day and date digital comics with their print counterparts. Don’t worry this is going to be the year of Digital Comics so there will be plenty of places to buy them for your phone or tablet PC check out Comixology.com

Gestalt_ 13 July, 2011 @ 9:42 am   47

Very disappointed to hear this, I’ve downloaded dozens of comics from the store since the service started and it’s really got me hooked. There’s at least one mini-series I was reading that already stopped without any explanation, missing the final issue. Now the whole service is being stopped for no apparent reason, just when it was really hitting its stride with lots of great releases in recent months.

I can’t see why supporting new devices would mean cutting off existing ones. At the very least though I hope you ensure that we can carry our collections over to any new devices (PS3? Vita?) when the service relaunches on them. It would be a massive kick in the face for all the fans that have invested a lot of money in digital comics if their collection gets orphaned on an unsupported device.

Querdenker 27 July, 2011 @ 2:55 pm   48