Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 12:01pm

PlayStation.Blog Recap

Well, that was a quiet week. The summer months between E3 and gamescom can be a bit slow on gaming news as release schedules slow, publishers hold back big announcements for Cologne and lots of people simply go on holiday. I’ve been using the time to take a look at the PlayStation.Blog EU with fresh eyes and have started work on some new feature ideas that, I hope, will bring more colour to these pages. We’ll be starting (hopefully!) next week with The Weekend Debate. Those who have been reading a while might remember The Friday Debate and this is very similar, just with one cool difference – the most insightful and entertaining comments around the topic will be rewarded with a voucher code for one of the latest and best games on PlayStation Store.

I love to listen to your feedback and ideas so keep them coming here in the comments. If you ran this blog, what kinds of things would you write about?

Here’s your recap:

Playstation EU

What we learned on eu.playstation.com this week:

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

103 Comments 8 Author replies
Show oldest first
mh24185669 9 July, 2011 @ 12:25 pm   1

hi james, we need to focus on psn future as iv stated before this year has been let down with all these errors occurring. in this economic crisis its hard to keep on top of things to provide a quality service and with these astronomical prices sony has only shown how unreliable and expensive it really is. granted the outage was not sony’s fault but the lack of comunication is very unprofessional, i would be quite happy to work 12 hour day to keep these good customers informed of any situation occurring. think its time to go xbox route and have a yearly charge but untill sony get their system into gear this would be impossible for them to handle.

James Gallagher 10 July, 2011 @ 10:49 am

As the only part that I work on is the communication, it’s disappointing to hear you think we were unprofessional. The truth is, as I have often said, as soon as we got new information, it was posted here on the blog.

mh24185669 9 July, 2011 @ 12:28 pm   2

hi james, we need to focus on psn future as iv stated before this year has been let down with all these errors occurring. in this economic crisis its hard to keep on top of things to provide a quality service and with these astronomical prices sony has only shown how unreliable and expensive it really is. granted outage was not sony’s fault but the lack of comunication is very unprofessional, would be quite happy to work 12 hour day to keep these good customers informed of any situation occurring. think its time to go xbox route and have a yearly charge but untill sony get their system into gear this would be impossible for them to handle.

mh24185669 9 July, 2011 @ 12:30 pm   3

we need to focus on psn future, iv stated before this year has been let down with all these errors occurring. in this economic crisis its hard to keep on top of things to provide a quality service and these astronomical prices sony has only shown how unreliable and expensive it really is. granted outage was not sony’s fault but the lack of comunication is very unprofessional, i’d be quite happy to work 12 hour day to keep these good customers informed of any situation occurring. think its time to go xbox route and have a yearly charge but untill sony get their system into gear this would be impossible for them to handle.

mh24185669 9 July, 2011 @ 12:31 pm   4

sorry about double

heap2008 9 July, 2011 @ 12:40 pm   5

James just asking is there meant to be messgaes being sent to every player asking to invite there friends to the ps store and get $ 100 for inviting them if not is there a bug n the network

James Gallagher 10 July, 2011 @ 10:51 am

No, do not ever believe these spam messages. Sony will NEVER contact you via PSN message. We will only contact you by email and then we will never ask for email addresses, passwords or any other personal info. Just delete these pointless messages that even I receive from time to time.

Already posted this in the PS+ topic, but I feel it should not be missed:

More disturbing is SCEI now going for the online pass.

So much for “the network is going to stay free”.

And instead of making it a part of PS+ for all SCE* games its for every game, EA and CM style. greedy **

I hope that if one of the SCE* employees that made the decision buys a used car he has to pay the manufacturer of the car to get the brakes working…

connorblue14 9 July, 2011 @ 12:45 pm   7

hey james do you know when the black ops map pack annihalation is out for ps3 in the uk

heap2008 9 July, 2011 @ 12:49 pm   8

WELL I WILL BE SURPRISED IF THEY COULD DO THAT IT SAYS ON THERE PS3 BOXES THAT THE PSN IS FREE SO IF THEY TRY AND CHARGE PEOPLE IT WOULD BE AGAINST THE CUSTOMERS AND THEN PEOPLE WILL LEAVE THE SONY BRAND BEHIND.

heap2008 9 July, 2011 @ 12:52 pm   9

aND THERE ONLY DOING IT BECUASE THEY HAVE HAD TO SPEND LOADS OF MONEY ON THERE SERVERS THAT SONY DID NOT PROTECT AT FIRST IF THERE SECURITY WAS UP TO DATE NONE OF THIS WOULD OF HAPPENED WOULDN’T IT SONY

mh24185669 9 July, 2011 @ 12:54 pm   10

p.s online pass for preowned games will most certainly lose more custome, sony will wait for thousands of complaint before takeing notice. so tell me how much of a loss is sony willing to take before it starts giving what customers are kindly asking for. iv been a sony customer since beginning of time and only ever owned a playstation going back to that sexy grey box of its time, cant afford to splash out on xbox or pc but it is getting to the point like many others its time to hang up the gloves.

mh24185669 9 July, 2011 @ 1:04 pm   11

online pass will most certainly lose you more custome, sony will wait for thousands of complaint before takeing notice. tell me how much is sony willing to lose before it starts giving what its customers are kindly asking for? iv been a sony customer since beginning of time and cant afford to splash out on xbox or pc but like many others its almost time to hang up the gloves.

heap2008 9 July, 2011 @ 1:12 pm   12

TRUE TRUE SONY IS NOT LISTENING AT ALL THE ONLINE PASS IS THE WORSED THING SONY CAN DO AFTER THERE NETWORK SCREW UP AND IS THIS THERESORRY TO THERE CUSTOMERS DO YOU MEAN THERE PUSHING AWAY THERE CUSTOMERS AND IF THEY DO THAT THE MORE MONEY THEY LOSE SO AT THE END OF THE DAY IF THERE IS NO CUSTOMERS THERE IS NO SONY

shepzki 9 July, 2011 @ 2:20 pm   13

Online pass=Bad

My brother just sold NFS Hot Pursuit as he bought it 2nd hand and found out you needed a pass to go online, really stupid and a cynical ploy to earn more money from used games.

Bloodlust_1138 9 July, 2011 @ 2:51 pm   14

There are a load of games due for release later this year. So the online pass thing may make customers look for none pass titles. The only essential to be online games in my book are Rage, MW3 and Battlefield 3. I already have a long list of pre order games the only Sony title is uncharted 3. Resistance 3 is up against some fierce competition in the FPS market that IMO it just can’t beat. If I were to buy later I would get pre-owned and wouldn’t buy the pass as I tend to play what my mates play online and it won’t be that!

Lucreto 9 July, 2011 @ 2:58 pm   15

I like the online pass as it only effects people who buy second hand.

People say they will lose customers but EA have stated how successful it has been. They have made millions and with little drop off in sales.

I see the need for the pass. People buy second hand it only profits Gamestop, Game, HMV and other stores. Developers lose out and may have to sack a developer because of it. Developers need a slice of the second hand market.

James I think this should be next weekends debate.

James Gallagher 10 July, 2011 @ 10:55 am

There is a lot of heated discussion around this topic and I can see the points on both sides. At the end of the day, it’s the direction the industry is heading in and seeing the bargains you can pick up in the used game market now, I think customers can still pick up a second hand game, and an online pass, and still be getting a good deal.

mr00droidman 9 July, 2011 @ 3:14 pm   16

hey james,
The online pass problem would make people very outraged and would want to throw their ps3 out the window but they did this so the developers like EA did not lose more money and sony needs more money to pay for the financial loses because of the outage
also the online pass is a big “in your face :)” to all the people who buy the new releases second hand.

Bloodlust_1138 9 July, 2011 @ 3:28 pm   17

I agree with Lucreto that this has come about through loss of new game sales. However, I don’t understand why a percentage of pre-owned sales doesn’t go to the game creators. Shouldn’t shops that sell pre-owned foot the bill instead of the consumer looking for a bargain? Many of my freinds cant afford the release price and usually wait for pre-owned though will feel duped and like they only have half a game. TBH many online multiplayers aren’t worth paying for as they feel slapped on. I dont mind them getting it cheaper as I feel I pay more to play first and usually get pre-order bonuses. This is the start of the long road to the closing of shops and the start of downloadable only games. Judging by the full game prices on the PS store that are way above the retail price that would be really bad.

Lucreto 9 July, 2011 @ 3:30 pm   18

@heap2008 post 5

That is chainletter spam sent out by some user. Sony has never contacted users through the PSN message.

@heap2008 post 8

PSN is still free it will not effect you if you buy new. Alternatively you can go to the 360 and pay to play every game online. As I stated above EA have made millions on the scheme. EA charge £9.99 Sony will charge £6.99 from what I read.

@heap2008 post 9
If you are talking about the hack you obviously still working on out of date information. Everything was up to date when the hack happened. Also Sony will not get the money it will go to the developers for their hard work that they lost out on if people by second hand.

@heap2008 post 11

It will stop people buying second hand nothing more. It would be easier to wait and get it new at a reduced price. I just bought Dead Space 2 new for £20.99 with a pass.

somethingatt 9 July, 2011 @ 3:39 pm   19

I’m with Lucreto, the Pass is needed. The current system is too unfair on developers, and 2nd hand sales are probably harming developers more than pirating- As they get absolutely £0 in both cases and more people buy second hand than pirate.

My slight concern is, say I got Resistance3 new and activated it’s online, will my brother be able to play it on his account or does he have to go buy a pass?

I’m sure a PSN Pass FAQ will come nearer the time but really think about multiple people using the same PS3 in one house. Don’t make it too unfair on them.

DAVIE222 9 July, 2011 @ 3:44 pm   20

James!

Im getting abit angry at u now because you said you would look into why my avatar wont show up on the blog, and that was last week! and you completly egnored my message about it yestaday, i know your a busy guy but people like me need your help and egnoring me isnt the right thing to do, now PLEASE stop egnoring me and answer me!

James Gallagher 10 July, 2011 @ 10:57 am

I still am and replied to your comment yesterday saying so. It has been a difficult issue to replicate but I gathered some useful info from blog readers yesterday and will hopefully get an update when we’re all back at work on Monday. These things can’t always be solved overnight.

Lucreto 9 July, 2011 @ 3:59 pm   21

@Bloodlust_1138

Retailers are greedy full stop. Developers get $25 per game sold and the rest it the retailers fee.

The price on retail games on PSN are so high as Retailers seen to have the industy over a barrel.

They complain if the price is low on downloaded games and it would hurt them. Why would people buy retail if a download is cheaper.
Retailers can then say “fine we will not sell your games anymore” since retail is the only real way of buying games sales will suffer hugely.

@somethingatt

That is my only concern about the whole thing but I am sure it will be like everything else on PSN.

We are able to have accounts on 5 PS3′s and we are able to download stuff from PSN on to 5 PSN accounts so my money is on the pass will be the same.

@DAVIE222
I am sure he is a man of his word. It is not his job to fix it. That job is for the Blogs techs. It is possible he told them about it and they are working on it but never gave James information on when it will be fixed as the techs might be busy doing other things and will get to it as a later stage.

Dante_Zero 9 July, 2011 @ 4:16 pm   22

glad to see your looking at possible improvements, seems lately theres been a few days with no real news or anything and as you say with the gap between E3 and gamescom and slow summer months there wont be much news so more fresh ideas for the blog is a much welcomed approach.

The only two things i can really feedback is more replys to articles from both publishers posts and maybe a lick of paint for the blog as it’s been awhile since it had a paint job. If i can think of owt else i’ll be sure to post it.

thanks

James Gallagher 10 July, 2011 @ 11:01 am

It can be a a busy job dealing with the quantity of blog requests I get internally and from thirds – sometimes 30 posts a week – it’s good to use this quiet time before gamescom to work on some new ideas. I’m also putting together my suggestions for a new lick of paint, as you say, so now is a great time to mention any redesign suggestions. It won’t be a full overhaul, more of a tweaking exercise.

Dante_Zero 9 July, 2011 @ 4:32 pm   23

an edit button on the blog would be nice too cause i realised what some of what i wrote above might not have made sense. lol

here is the revised version:

The only two things i can really feedback is more replys to articles from both publishers posts and blog staff and maybe a lick of paint for the blog as it’s been awhile since it had a paint job. If i can think of owt else i’ll be sure to post it.

mh24185669 9 July, 2011 @ 4:44 pm   24

those agreeing with pass need to move out of parents house! the market for second hand games is so big because games are way to expensive. in the old days sega, ps1, nintendo, dreamcast even ps2 never really sold games over £35 now on average we expect to pay £40 to £60 on new titles. i bought homefront new £25 and capcom vs marvel 3 £15 this is more like it, if this wouldnt of happend it would of been preowned job so this is perfect example of how sony lose money. every1 is struggling in life at the moment and with sony being so greedy will force people to file share, jail break, pirate even more

mh24185669 9 July, 2011 @ 4:50 pm   25

those agreeing with pass need to move out of parents house! market for preowned games is big because games are to expensive. in old days sega, ps1, nintendo, dreamcast even ps2 never really sold games over £35 now on average we expect to pay £40-60 on new titles. i bought homefront new £25 and capcom vs marvel 3 £15 this is more like it, if this wouldnt of happend it would of been preowned job so this is perfect example of how sony lose money. every1 is struggling in life at the moment and with sony being so greedy will force people to file share, jail break, pirate even more

biotec 9 July, 2011 @ 4:52 pm   26

You wanna know why Sony now have a online pass? Remember Haze? The number of people that played it was 4 times the number of people that bought it. No money from pre-owned sales goes to developers. They are now closed down. Red Faction’s ratio of players to sales was 3-1. There is a huge % of games these days that r not making any profit, even good ones like enslaved. Unless you want the only games to be released in the future to be fifa, COD and GTA, u will agree with the pass system.

Bloodlust_1138 9 July, 2011 @ 4:55 pm   27

@Lucreto appreciate the info :)
Bloody greedy ass retailers! I just hope this doesn’t mean developers will spend time trying to online every game to get resale cash. Some games I actually prefer coz they’re offline no trolls, no lag, no disconnect just me versus the game that has been made well as they focused on the single player and really pushed it like GOW 3.

gamniac 9 July, 2011 @ 5:03 pm   28

I stop with asking questions about technical issues on this blog,where can i go to when it comes to Burnout Paradise not working with an exclusive avatar ?… give me some options..
You keep stating you are not ignoring us, then where is the fix ?
I asked this last month,and still no reply.
Where can i go to with this, and don’t say customer service because they can’t fix such issues.

Lucreto 9 July, 2011 @ 5:06 pm   29

@mh24185669

It is the retailers who are greedy. You want to pay £15 for a game that is what the developers get out of the £35.

Complain to retailers to lower their prices not Sony unless you want less PS3 exclusives and be of lower quality.

You said you bought Homefront and for cheaper this is the retailer losing money to clear the stock. It shows you how much money retail shops are getting if they are able to lower the price that much.

I am glad you want to help people lose their jobs making games so you can get something cheaper.

zFreaKzx 9 July, 2011 @ 5:23 pm   30

PSN PASS!? omg sony? is it true? sony will lose very many members…

Mr__Stig 9 July, 2011 @ 5:38 pm   31

1st Of all i loved the post about the new Bioshock game.
If i was making the blogs on here i’d have more info on PS3 trophies.
Maybe full trophy lists of up coming games. That would be cool 2 read about.

mh24185669 9 July, 2011 @ 5:40 pm   32

@29 learn to read kid, ur only ranting because i told ya to move out of parents house! i bought capcom vs marvel 3 for £15. pass will be 10-15 quid now on average i get 10 old games in year thats £100+ far more than £50 yearly charge from xbox. i aslo do get new titles like cod who sell games at £45 then you got 3 map packs thats £33 do the maths thats nearly £100 just for 1 game. if developers didnt get money how is it maps for bfbc were free?

taurus82 9 July, 2011 @ 5:47 pm   33

Would it be possible to expand The Studio into developing music visualisation for PS3/PSP/VITA?

mh24185669 9 July, 2011 @ 6:12 pm   34

@29 another thing sony is the one putting people out of work. this online pass is a way of breaking into the preowned market, not a pennie is going to developers. know what your talking about before throwing toys out of your cot! god fan boys grind my gears!

spikkle 9 July, 2011 @ 6:20 pm   35

Online pass? Whats this?

manutreble 9 July, 2011 @ 6:21 pm   36

does any1 agree black ops is getting boreing Now i know that was off topic LOL .. Any way James what gonin on with the blog avatars mine still won’t show up im usein bad cole infamous 2….. and whan is Gamescom is it August sometime ?

spikkle 9 July, 2011 @ 6:24 pm   37

@35: avatars arent showing cause the blog sucks.

It was a quiet week, which is good. Didnt have to endure the usual crap you post.

(yes im in a bad mood)

spikkle 9 July, 2011 @ 6:25 pm   38

By “you”, I didnt mean just James. I mean everyone who posts on the blog. Nothing is particulary interesting :( *sigh* :’(

spikkle 9 July, 2011 @ 6:27 pm   39

Oh and NO passes ARE NOT NEEDED. Keep freaking Online Playing FREE, dont screw us over with something else…

Barryoko 9 July, 2011 @ 6:35 pm   40

ONLINE PASS

Why should gamers pay for greedy retailers getting all the cash for 2nd hand games?
Devs need to flex their muscles & make retailers pay them for 2nd hand games, simple.
I think Sony should stick with free online gaming, nothing worse than going back on your word, let your no mean NO, & your yes mean YES.
Lets see if the PS4 will be free online gaming…i think not.

Barryoko 9 July, 2011 @ 6:43 pm   41

@heap2008

If the spam messages are bugging you

open message press triangle go to grief report select defamation & add to block list.

why let this rubbish continue, stop the spammers.

windsorblue01 9 July, 2011 @ 6:55 pm   42

are you fixing these problems with the avatars as when i try to go on page listed below it says do for maintence https://store.playstation.com/accounts/manage/

windsorblue01 9 July, 2011 @ 6:55 pm   43

shouls day down not do

windsorblue01 9 July, 2011 @ 6:57 pm   44

ok sorry totally mucked up trying to do 2 things at once mean says down for maintaince

DAVIE222 9 July, 2011 @ 7:12 pm   45

IF I RAN THIS BLOG I WOULD REPLY TO EVRYONES COMMENTS, AND I WOULD TELL PEOPLE ON THE BLOG WHEN IM ON HOLIDAY FOR A WEEK AND NOT JUST GO.

not hating on you james but u need to start commenting back to people more.

spikkle 9 July, 2011 @ 7:24 pm   46

I find myself agreeing with you @45.

Lucreto 9 July, 2011 @ 7:55 pm   47

@mh24185669

Only PS3 exclusive get the pass which means 4 games this year might get the pass.

According to GAME £2 billion are pre-owned sales and £1 billion are new sales 2010. That is £2 billion taken out of the industry and lining the pockets of upper management in another company who did nothing for the games development and profit off if it.

BFBC map packs were free because it was a marketing ploy to get COD players over. This is EA they can well afford free map packs as they cover all platfroms and release more games than Sony to cover any costs.

You are right in one point Sony does get the money. They fund developers to make games and give a bonus to developers for reaching a certain numbers of sales. Sony could sell 3 million copies Uncharted 3 and through pre-owned a retailer might make the same as 4 or 5 million in terms of revenue and Sony won’t see any of that extra money. Now they can get a sliver of it.

Lucreto 9 July, 2011 @ 7:59 pm   48

You are going to have to bite the bullet and pay for the pass if you insist for buying pre-owned or wait a few months and buy it sealed later for cheaper or not buy the 4 games.

Why don’t you complain to retailers to lower their price or include the price of the pass into their games and give you PSN credit to pay for it. Blaming Sony to try and get extra money from their hard work is only childish.

mh24185669 9 July, 2011 @ 9:23 pm   49

telling me cod franchise one of the biggest, larger than bfbc havent made enough money to supply free maps? what do ya think people done with pre cod, bought maps. EA cant cover cost that much as all other dlc was priced and costs a considerable amount less to produce than maps! those figures are bit wrong considering i managed game store in that year and even if it were true are you surprised people are broke but untill you stand on your own two feet you’ll never know. point is that if there wasnt shops people would sell it themself anyway

Lucreto 9 July, 2011 @ 11:04 pm   50

Activision loves money and they milk every title. They could supply free maps but why bother if people are more than willing to spend £11 for 4 maps. COD is all about money and hw to drain your wattle for all its worth. Boddy said last year he would like to raise the price of the game. He has a subscription now and people will pay it without a thought as it is COD.

EA on the other hand are playing catch up. They will try different ways to outclass COD. People complained about the high price for maps and EA listened saying “why pay for maps while we give them for free.” As I said before they can cover the cost from other titles profits or is consolidated into the development costs with the full title.

The figures might be wrong about the uncharted 3 as they was just speculation but I am not far off my friend who currently works in a game store as a manager saying pre-owned is the bulk of the business and developers know this. I looked up GAMES financial statements they show 2 billion on pre-owned market.

Pardon me I do stand on my own two feet and know very well the costs of life but I still never buy pre-owned and I usually get the game cheaper months down the line. I plan to get Crysis 2 during the summer sales.

Load all