Posted 3:01pm

NTSC-J And NTSC-U PSone Classics Confirmed For SCEE

psone_flags

Hello everyone,

I am very pleased to confirm that US and Japanese PSone emulations are being prepared for release on the SCEE PlayStation Stores.

While I cannot yet confirm dates or any of the titles in process at this time, there are a few that are already in process and you will start to see them publishing in the future.

What does this mean for you, the consumers?

Here are the key points:

• Publishers who own the rights to release PSone titles that were previously only available in the US and/or Japan will now be able to apply to have them released on the SCEE PlayStation Stores (providing they are rated by the appropriate ratings boards for each territory).
  • All titles will be published ‘as is’, with either English or Japanese language game content where available.
  • All titles will run at 60 Hz and you will need a 60 Hz capable display to play them properly.

This also means that if a PAL version of a title has been unable to pass QA in SCEE, but the NTSC version is already available on the PlayStation Store in SCEA or SCEJ, we can look at publishing that version instead. We cannot simply take the US version and publish it immediately, as it has to be reprocessed for SCEE, but at least we know the title should already be relatively bug-free.

Please note: This does not mean we can publish titles that have not legally cleared for release in SCEE territories as a result of expired licenses, etc.

With this news in mind, we’d love to hear from you what titles you’d like to see available in Europe for the first time – make yourself heard in the comments and with the most requested titles we will speak to publishers on your behalf.

Have a great evening everyone.

Did you enjoy this?

Related posts

Comments

604 Comments 23 Author replies
Show oldest first

Does this mean we will get Parasite Eve 1?
Woohooo if we do.

Good news either way though, lotsa JRPGS out there :).

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2011 @ 3:08 pm

We will certainly be inviting Square-Enix to look at releasing any titles from their US and Japanese only PSone catalogue – any suggestions from the community are of course welcome.

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2011 @ 4:34 pm

In fact I just got off the phone with the man from Square-Enix and pointed him at this blog entry, so he’s going to be checking to see what you’re all asking for. If you want Square-Enix PSone titles you better make some noise!

Any update on Driver Ross?

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2011 @ 3:09 pm

Should be available in all English-speaking SCEE Stores from Wednesday, if not before. Other Stores to follow.

Suzzopher 1 August, 2011 @ 3:04 pm   3

Awesome news Ross!

CRASHBASHUK 1 August, 2011 @ 3:05 pm   4

hmm spyro ;)

I’d like to see Gran Turismo 1 and 2 available

Great news!

littlesmegger 1 August, 2011 @ 3:06 pm   7

Just a shame that no region as of yet is to have the Tony Hawk’s Pro Skater series… clearly the series that defined the original PlayStation. Get them uploaded Sony please!

SalmonCannon 1 August, 2011 @ 3:06 pm   8

please please please tell me that Suikoden 1 and 2 will be released, ive still not played the second one after not being able to find a pal version of it :(

Halbarad_Loire 1 August, 2011 @ 3:07 pm   9

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross!

Having imported them back in the 90′s but now not having the disks i’d love the ability to get them on the EU PSN store.

Not exactly what I expected, but if it means that I can get another Chrono Trigger for my fourth platform, I welcome it. ;)

liambonner 1 August, 2011 @ 3:07 pm   11

All of the arc the lad games please

Suzzopher 1 August, 2011 @ 3:08 pm   12

If I could have Xenogears, Legend of Mana and Threads of Fate on my Pal PSP I shall be very happy :D

ShadowDoGGG 1 August, 2011 @ 3:10 pm   13

I think extraterrestrials have taken over SCEE.

raz_lintu 1 August, 2011 @ 3:11 pm   14

This sounds pretty awesome. Sooo, can we have Spyro now?

adumr82 1 August, 2011 @ 3:11 pm   15

Good news, good start anyway, will reserve full judgement for if/when titles start becoming available.

wow. Impressive news Ross! Those Chromo games are looking mighty tempting ;)

Shou_Kobayashi 1 August, 2011 @ 3:11 pm   17

Great Scott, my mind is blown.

That is so heavy and it doesn’t have to do anything with the gravity pull…

Jedi_Amara 1 August, 2011 @ 3:13 pm   18

Glad to hear this! Does this mean we’ll eventually get every PS1 classic on those stores that isn’t affected by the licensing issues, or only a selection of them? And can you give an idea of what games wouldn’t be able to be released due to the expired licences?

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2011 @ 3:37 pm

Any game where licensed products appear in them, such as certain sports games or games with music tracks licensed from artists tend to be impossible to re-release.

Skookie30 1 August, 2011 @ 3:13 pm   19

YESSSSSSSSSSSS I keep buging about this often for ages that mike kebby got sick of it,

OMG i just soil my Pants I never see this in my life time Thank you Ross For finally listen to Me & Others Moan.

1 qustion i haven’t read fully the post yet i believe monkeypaws and others are to come to us.

so Now we can get PE1, xnenogears CT if SCEA finally get it & lunar 1 & 2 the list to dam long.

Kotatsu2000 1 August, 2011 @ 3:13 pm   20

Well the obvious thing to do would be to re-publish some of the classics which had previously only been available as S-L-O-W—-M-O-T-I-O-N 50hz PAL rubbish, – games like FF7, FF8, FF9, and Vagrant Story.

As for US only stuff, well if there’s anyone left who hasn’t just made a US account to download then, then Xenogears is an obvious one. Castlevania Chronicles is another good one, and of course all the Resident Evil games.

For JP stuff, well the JP PSN store is full of great stuff unavailable elsewhere. A few off the top of my head – Thunderforce V, Raystorm, Raycrisis, Darkstalkers, Rockman 1-4, Donpachi, Dodonpachi, Einhander, G Darius…

Also how about all those great PC Engine games that are on the JP (and now also US) stores? Some great games for download there.

jerry88pl 1 August, 2011 @ 3:13 pm   21

Does it mean Silent Hill will return to the store?? We will see Syphon Filter 2 and others ?? I hope so.
I have a question will Crash Bandicoot 2 appear in other countries like Poland?? thx for reply.

SoundableObject 1 August, 2011 @ 3:13 pm   22

So will these work on the PSP and Vita or is it just PS3?

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2011 @ 3:40 pm

They should (for the most part) work as all PSone emulations do across various platforms.

@ Ross
Excellent idea this published ‘as is’. As long the shop doesn’t fail to explain this, nobody can complain.

Hopefully this is a sign for future games too. Many gamers don’t mind if their games are in English, but more so if publishers don’t want to localize games and thus refuse a market access to those games completly.
Heck some as me, don’t even run any of their games in any other language than English.

Shou_Kobayashi 1 August, 2011 @ 3:15 pm   24

Addendum:

This is my first day off from work and only good news so far, what will happen tomorrow? Will Duke Nu.. oh that already did happen… didn’t it?

AphiX-Reaver 1 August, 2011 @ 3:15 pm   25

Crash Bash!

andy08ps 1 August, 2011 @ 3:17 pm   26

will any of id software classics ever be releashed on psn store?

SpideyWolvie 1 August, 2011 @ 3:17 pm   27

Will Marvel Super Heroes and Croc be released?

Wraxend 1 August, 2011 @ 3:18 pm   28

Was this the suprise you hinting at last week Ross?

ducklady 1 August, 2011 @ 3:18 pm   29

the only games I’m after are Spyro 1, 2 and 3. Considering they went platinum in Europe, there is clearly a market for them on PSN. Thank you Ross and anyone who made this news possible!! :D

Paul-H-UK 1 August, 2011 @ 3:18 pm   30

Policenauts!

liambonner 1 August, 2011 @ 3:20 pm   31

Last week you mentioned the problem with ape escape. Can the game not be put on the store if the item description states that the game is not playable on the psp?

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2011 @ 3:41 pm

We’re looking into that at the moment, it’s not my call to make but I will recommend we do the same.

Darlo-Richie 1 August, 2011 @ 3:21 pm   32

This is great news, as you know Ross I’m one the many posters who have been pushing for this for months, I’m only disapointed this wasn’t done sooner but I can imagine internal politics played a part in the wait for this.

I know its not a Guarantee of Parasite Eve, Xenogears etc but it’s a great move for consumers and publishers.

Now, I’ll have to see if I need another Memory stick for my PSP!

Maxthebird 1 August, 2011 @ 3:22 pm   33

Any chance of, while at it, introducing a PocketStation emulator and Pocket MuuMuu?

TheNarrator 1 August, 2011 @ 3:22 pm   34

yay, the more PSone games the better! :D tis very cool news, hopefully itll give us all a chance to play some games we normally wouldnt have been able to find and buy, or classics we may have missed.

am hoping that the *very smart people* who run the Store will put warnings and descriptions on the games to tell costumers if its language is all Japanesey-like 8P.

Jedi_Amara 1 August, 2011 @ 3:23 pm   35

I’d also like to know whether games already available as 50Hz PAL versions will be rereleased as the 60Hz NTSC versions.

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2011 @ 3:43 pm

That’s not a priority for us at the moment, but if there is enough demand we may look into this in the future. At the moment the focus is to bring you games that you’ve been missing or have been previously unavailable outside of the US or Japan.

Agamer2006 1 August, 2011 @ 3:23 pm   36

Does that mean titles like sypro and ape escape can finally come to the store. They are PS1 games I have really been looking forward to playing

alistair_thomas 1 August, 2011 @ 3:23 pm   37

Interesting news indeed!

As for requests, here are (just!) a few:

- Resident Evil 2
- Resident Evil 3
- Dino Crisis
- Dino Crisis 2
- Tomb Raider 2

lcmnick 1 August, 2011 @ 3:24 pm   38

Please, please, pleeeeeeease try to get Polyphony’s Omega Boost on PSN.

That was a great game.

dasjojo465 1 August, 2011 @ 3:25 pm   39

Great news!

I only got one question:

Does the import feature also include games, that are already available in the EU stores, like FF VII?
I’d like to buy the US version of FF VII, because the german translation is pretty bad.

Do you know anything about that Ross?

extermin8or_ 1 August, 2011 @ 3:25 pm   40

Does this mean we might get the 3 spyro’s now? yes :) or no :(

Skookie30 1 August, 2011 @ 3:26 pm   41

i have read it so happy till the please Note: part every games in SCEA should be alright am i reading it wrong.

i will drop lunar 1 & 2 for now as SCEJ & SCEA haven’t got those games but if SCEA & SCEJ finally get them SCEE will as well.

i got a Pal SD telly that can display 60 htz but those titles can play on PSP as well, your post never said about that. :|

gforce-92 1 August, 2011 @ 3:27 pm   42

Atta boy Ross. You’re the man ;)

Shin-Ra 1 August, 2011 @ 3:28 pm   43

I’d re-buy some games like FFVII, VIII, IX for the fullscreen 60Hz display.

Darlo-Richie 1 August, 2011 @ 3:28 pm   44

@Jedi_Amara

I think this will only happen when 50Hz version of said title repeatedly fails QA, if it passes will still be put up in its PAL format.

Andrefpvs 1 August, 2011 @ 3:28 pm   45

I LOVE YOU, ROSS! :D

Xenostar 1 August, 2011 @ 3:28 pm   46

Does this mean the PS3 will now play PS1 NTSC U and J physical disks if we have them?

Ross McGrath 1 August, 2011 @ 3:45 pm

No, the emulator has nothing to do with the actual read capabilities of the PS3′s Blu-ray drive.

Jesse-Blue 1 August, 2011 @ 3:30 pm   47

Thunder Force V !
And while were at it, please try to get Sega to release a Thunder Force Complete collection with all games (2 to 5, maybe even 6 from PS2, that would be fantastic.
The shmup genre is severely under-represented.
Only Söldner X is preventing fans from joining the dark side (Xbox360) which has some tempting offers.

Jedi_Amara 1 August, 2011 @ 3:30 pm   48

@Darlo-Richie

I figured that would be the case, but thought it would be worth asking anyway! I’d much rather have the 60Hz versions.

Xenostar 1 August, 2011 @ 3:31 pm   49

Square Enix have the biggest and best back catalogue of US/Jap titles that never made it to EU, i wont hold my breath tho as ive died multiple times over waiting for Crisis Core for download.

Chocobo115 1 August, 2011 @ 3:31 pm   50

Yaay! lots of hugs from the comunity to Ross!

Load all