Posted 5:00pm

Get More Action With PlayStation Network PLAY

PLAY_Blogtop_5games_v2

We’re excited to introduce a new PlayStation Network event: PLAY. PLAY is a brand-new annual program, where we’re bringing you four of the season’s hottest PlayStation Network action titles. With every purchase of a PLAY title in PlayStation Store throughout the duration of the program (which ends on 20 September 2011), you’ll receive a separate piece of DLC for each game, plus a new theme with every pre-order (pre-orders will be available for a limited period prior to release of the game, see details below). If these incentives aren’t enough, if you purchase all four PLAY titles in PlayStation Store by 20 September 2011, you’ll get a PSN voucher code for PayDay: The Heist as a bonus gift. And, PlayStation Plus subscribers will get an automatic 20% off every purchase of a PLAY title if they purchase them by 20 September 2011.

Pre-orders will be available for all four PLAY titles starting next week on August 10 in PlayStation Store. Remember, in order to qualify to receive PayDay: The Heist as a bonus gift, your purchases must be made by September 20, 2011.

Participating countries only. Age restrictions and other terms and conditions apply. Full details will be available on eu.playstation.com/legal from 10 August 2011.PlayStation Network PLAY is going to be an annual program.

Here is the 2011 line-up:

streetfighterIII

August 24: The PLAY program kicks off with Capcom’s highly-anticipated Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition, available to pre-order until 18 August, 2011. This action-fighting title features 20 playable characters, HD graphics, more than 200 pieces of unlockable content, more than 100 trials and more than 100 challenges When Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition is purchased through PLAY, purchasers will be able to unlock GILL, the self-proclaimed god, without having to beat the game with every character, as day-one DLC. All pre-orders will also receive a Capcom-produced theme. Street Fighter III Third Strike Online Edition will be €14.99 and is rated PEGI 12+.

baconing

August 31: Hothead Studios’ The Baconing will be available to pre-order until 25 August 2011. This action-RPG title is the third in the popular DeathSpank series. Attempt to defeat the Anti-Spank and his army of Cyborques, before they cast an evil shadow over Spanktopia. Discover exciting new worlds and battle hordes of enemies as you search to unlock the secret within the Fires of Bacon. When The Baconing is purchased through PLAY, purchasers will receive an additional co-op character, Roesha – One Bad Mutha. All pre-orders will also receive a static theme, exclusive to PLAY. The Baconing will be €12.99 and is rated PEGI 12+.

BloodRayne

September 7: Majesco Entertainment‘s BloodRayne: Betrayal will be available to pre-order until 1 September 2011. This 2D side-scrolling platformer features 15 bloodthirsty levels where Rayne attempts to infiltrate a treacherous castle, take out a fiendish horde and stop an evil vampire massacre. When BloodRayne: Betrayal is purchased through PLAY, purchasers will receive a BloodRayne: Betrayal virtual item for their PlayStation Home avatar and an exclusive dynamic theme. In addition, all pre-orders will also receive a static theme exclusive to PLAY. BloodRayne: Betrayal will be €12.99 and is rated PEGI 16+.

renegadeops

September 14: The SEGA title Renegade Ops will be available to pre-order until 8 September 2011.This top-down, driving shooter from SEGA features a huge variety of vehicles, guns and endless enemies. The game features Sandbox-style missions, so there are many different ways to play. When Renegade Ops is purchased through PLAY, purchasers will receive a Vehicle & Character Pack with two new vehicles and special weapons. All pre-orders will also receive a static theme, exclusive to PLAY. Renegade Ops will be €12.99 and is rated PEGI 12+.

Payday

Bonus gift: PayDay: The Heist. This gritty, first-person shooter from Sony Online Entertainment lets players take on the role of a hardened career criminal executing intense, dynamic heists in constant pursuit of the next “big score.” A PSN voucher code for PayDay: The Heist will be provided to buyers of all four PLAY titles as a bonus gift if they make their purchases by 20 September 2011. The game releases on 5 October 2011. The game can also be pre-ordered separately from 21 September 2 2011 until 29 September 2011, and all pre-orders will receive a static theme.

What gamer doesn’t want to get more action? Get ready because PlayStation Network PLAY pre-orders start next Wednesday, August 10.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

112 Comments 14 Author replies
Show oldest first

almighty-slayer 5 August, 2011 @ 5:09 pm   1

Sold. Thanks for all the hard work you must have put into this :D

Mike Kebby 5 August, 2011 @ 5:11 pm   2

That Renegade Ops title looks great, doesn’t it ;)

Great promotion Ross, you and the team should be very proud!

GothPunk 5 August, 2011 @ 5:11 pm   3

Simply awesome.

And to whomever at SCEE made up that graphic, NICE!

I’ve only heard great things about Payday: The Heist ^^.

Ross McGrath 5 August, 2011 @ 5:14 pm

The very talented SCEA Creative team came up with the logo – PLAY badges will be available at gamescom! Come find me.

orton131 5 August, 2011 @ 5:14 pm   4

Hell-Raiser-85 5 August, 2011 @ 5:17 pm   5

Great deal count me in. Will we see more offers like this?

ChemicalBacon90 5 August, 2011 @ 5:17 pm   6

It’s not for me personally as the only title there that I’m interested in is Payday: The Heist, but still, it must have taken a lot of hard work to bring this all together, so well done for that.

Also, is there any word on Payday:TH pricing over here?
SCEA blog has it down as $19.99, so £11.99?

Thanks.

Ross McGrath 6 August, 2011 @ 9:15 am

I don’t have final confirmation of the PAYDAY pricing yet for SCEE, so until I hear from SOE I wouldn’t like to speculate.

Wow, an amazing idea!!! You got my money guys ;) Thx 4 Plus discount!

GothPunk 5 August, 2011 @ 5:20 pm   8

Sadly Ross I won’t be at Gamescom, so I’ll miss out on you and your lovely badges. :/

AaronSOLDIER 5 August, 2011 @ 5:22 pm   9

SF3HD looks good.

THEBB1994 5 August, 2011 @ 5:23 pm   10

Instead of bringing out new events can’t we get cross game chat instead?

AnimaOnline 5 August, 2011 @ 5:24 pm   11

oton131 (post #3)
“Looks interesting, however also looks like Xbox 360′s summer of arcade, just with different games.”

@oton131 Yes, they are both sales. I can’t recall who “invented” sales but I’m fairly sure it wasn’t Microsoft. ;)

CHIPPY360 5 August, 2011 @ 5:27 pm   12

I’m happy to see Sony has finally done something to combat the “Summer of Arcade” scheme that Microsoft has had going for a few years. While I play my 360 more than the PS3, that’s only a result of my friends gaming preferences. All of the 1st party titles on Sony’s side far outweigh that of Microsoft’s. Nice job guys’!

Mikal_Drey 5 August, 2011 @ 5:32 pm   13

hey hey

errr. i dont get it ?

by simply buying any of the listed games during the specified timeframe you get a free DLC ?

what specifically makes my purchase considered “play” ?
do i need to preorder ? (new feature for the psn ?)
annual feature that ends in september ?
best of the season ? a month is a season ?
do i need to opt into the program ?
what if i purchased 4 titles over the period of the annum ? (i’m screwed over ?)
will this be a monthly incentive to buy 4 games a month ?

I’d most likely buy a game (deathspank for sure and renegade is a maybe) but the other 2 need to buy me a few drinks, get me drunk, drop me home and call me the next day before they were even a consideration for purchase. 4 different genres, limited choice . . .. sounds pretty fuggered to me.

Ross McGrath 6 August, 2011 @ 9:22 am

1. Yes
    2. Buying the title before September 20th makes it a PLAY purchase automatically.
    3. You do not need to pre-order the titles but you get a theme if you do.
    4. Annual feature in so far as we plan to do it every year.
    5. The best titles that are coming out in the right time period for the promotion on this occasion, yes.
    6. There’s no active opt-in process, other than deciding to buy the games.
    7. You’re not screwed but the promotion ends on September 20th, so you wouldn’t get your free DLC, or any Plus discount.
    8. No, this will not happen every month.

Opt1mus76 5 August, 2011 @ 5:33 pm   14

Wow, that’s pretty sweet deal. Probably wouldn’t normally get StreetFighter as not really into beat’em ups but I would have gotten the others so might as well buy SF and get Heist and the incentives free.
Oh, and Mike, Renegade Ops looks awesome. Looking forward to that one. Will you be doing blog post soon with more info?

devilwithoutfear 5 August, 2011 @ 5:38 pm   15

It’s a sweet deal and I love all these games.

hi,

when we found – eufloria or machinarium ?

regards
dave

AcidCrashX 5 August, 2011 @ 5:50 pm   17

absolutely fantastic deal guys, well done to Ross + Team not to mention those at each company (yes thats you mr kebby) for putting this together.

are all 4 games going to be at similar price points? im guessing £10/11 across the board

Dante_Zero 5 August, 2011 @ 5:52 pm   18

so will i be able to buy a pre-order bundle so pay in advance for all 4 games? and if so how much will that be?

Ross McGrath 6 August, 2011 @ 9:25 am

There won’t be a bundle of all four titles this year – we’re not able to bundle together content from different publishers – but it’s an excellent idea and one I’ll put in the filing cabinet for next time around.

AcidCrashX 5 August, 2011 @ 5:52 pm   19

ah sorry didnt see the euro price point at the bottom of each paragraph :)

Dante_Zero 5 August, 2011 @ 5:56 pm   20

to quote fry from futurerama “SHUT UP AND TAKE MY MONEY !!!! ” lol

Orusaka 5 August, 2011 @ 5:56 pm   21

The fact that none of the four games are exclusives kind of takes the edge of it for me. Also, only interested in one of them, and I’m already getting that one on PC. (Renegade Ops)

Nice try, but not quite. I hope you manage to put together a more breathtaking line up next year, hopefully all of them exclusives. Keep up the good work, and next time it might be great.

Pacman_Ownage 5 August, 2011 @ 5:59 pm   22

Ooh, I’m so very tempted.

Just a shame Street Fighter is one of the games… and the most expensive? Still I suppose if I buy it, the when I get The Heist I can count that as the freebie instead

bajwanasser 5 August, 2011 @ 6:17 pm   23

I’m really disappointed that this offer won’t be available in France. Maybe it will next time…

Ross McGrath 6 August, 2011 @ 9:28 am

This offer will be available in France – the countries at the top relate to the blog language versions.

Wraxend 5 August, 2011 @ 6:19 pm   24

I’ve heard some good things about The Heist being compared to Left 4 Dead with an emphasis on Co-op vs increasing difficult AI like the Director from L4D. Might pick that up just have to wait now.

QuietlyWrong 5 August, 2011 @ 6:27 pm   25

Would I be right in thinking that this was the ‘surprise’ that was originally planned for Monday? It’s actually surprising, as opposed to the long awaited imports news… ;)

JonnyPauz 5 August, 2011 @ 6:28 pm   26

wow, wasn’t expecting this, well done sony.

Shou_Kobayashi 5 August, 2011 @ 6:39 pm   27

Great, I was planning on getting THE BACKONING and now on top of that, if I commit to it I get DLC, Themes and extras for free?

Though I was interested in the BloodRayne: Betrayal the Home Avatar doesn’t cut it for me… I was hoping for more ingame related things. Hope this all DLC is not set into stone.

However beggars can’t be choosers. Anyway I am happy to get something extra to stay with DeathSpank and be a Hero to the Downtrodden.

Ross McGrath 6 August, 2011 @ 9:33 am

The nice thing about the program is that it’s still beneficial for those who aren’t interested in all the titles – you at least get a freebie and a discount on every game (and a theme if you pre-order).

We tried to pick games that were different enough so they weren’t just the same game over and over, but similar enough that they’d have the widest possible appeal.

All ACTION titles, but an action-fighter, an action-RPG, an action-combat-platformer and an action-twinstick-shooter.

JolipinatorJG 5 August, 2011 @ 6:40 pm   28

Umm, no. The last game is the only decent looking one.

Sounds like a terrible idea to me. Most game stores have a “buy 2 get 1 free” offer, but “buy 4″? Please.

Titchy_Penguin 5 August, 2011 @ 6:40 pm   29

Offtopic but pls answer. Cheers.
•will ps+ get a assassins creed beta like brotherhood
and
•will everyone be able to get the resistance 3 beta in future
Thanks again

alc_the_talc 5 August, 2011 @ 6:46 pm   30

Nice, I will be getting all these

SHUV__iT 5 August, 2011 @ 6:49 pm   31

Very cool idea. Shouldnt be annual though sony should offer a range of packages like this all year round for fans of different genres. Hire me.

frodouk 5 August, 2011 @ 6:52 pm   32

At #4, so what? Hardly a bad thing. Summer of Arcade is good on the 360 and this looks like it will be equally as good (if not better due to the discounts/dlc etc).

I’m all for this type of thing.

Heavenly_king 5 August, 2011 @ 6:56 pm   33

How about bringing this to the US PS Store??? :D

FBZ1501 5 August, 2011 @ 6:59 pm   34

Great to see a new promo, especially with the 360 one, I kind of felt left out on the PS3!
Tempted but not sure on all the games, will there be a demo of each available? But I suppose you can’t preoder if you want a demo?
The Plus discount is certainly a nice touch. Will have to see what I can find out about those games!!

Ross McGrath 6 August, 2011 @ 9:38 am

I’m not 100% sure about PAYDAY but the four titles releasing first will all have a trial available once they release, but you’re right, you’d miss out on the pre-order theme.

But to clarify, you’re still eligible for PAYDAY even if you buy all four titles on the last day of the promotion (September 20th).

X_Weapon 5 August, 2011 @ 7:00 pm   35

Very, very good initiative (and including themes, dlc ecc.. is a great idea). But at this time I’m not interested in any of those games anyway. O_O

You should’ve included Journey at least.

polynski 5 August, 2011 @ 7:02 pm   36

this looks great…how long is this offer on for? i cant buy it at the moment

mike20036 5 August, 2011 @ 7:05 pm   37

I will be getting street fighter 3rd strike can’t wait :)

AkodoRyu 5 August, 2011 @ 7:05 pm   38

Are AE,AU,GB,IE,NZ only “participating countries”? Because last time I checked PSN is available in around 30 countries in EU zone, all of them have paying customers, all of them with PS+ subscribers. So, Sony, all I’ll say is: Wheaton’s Law, look it up and do the right thing.

Ross McGrath 6 August, 2011 @ 9:41 am

That list of countries appears on all blog posts, it has nothing to do with the promotion. Almost everywhere is included but full details will be available on August 10th.

polynski 5 August, 2011 @ 7:07 pm   39

oops silly me 20th september:)this will be my 1st store purchase since may and we dont use the euro here ross come on man sort it out…shame on you

darrenj1 5 August, 2011 @ 7:13 pm   40

I dont get it, sounds very odd
a) Its an offer not an event
b) Why is an order builder promotion an annual thing? You could do these all year.

xchris2008x 5 August, 2011 @ 7:16 pm   41

ah scrap what i said last week, here’s Sonys version of summer of arcade.

Will be preordering Deathsp,ank :D

polynski 5 August, 2011 @ 7:20 pm   42

what did u say last week?

Extra! :D

tiago-kun 5 August, 2011 @ 7:34 pm   44

Cool, so I buy 4 games I was already planing to buy and I get one free? Cool!

By the way, where’s the weekend debate? :)

Bovrillor 5 August, 2011 @ 7:43 pm   45

Mike/Ross

Any word on the UK Pricing for SF3?

Also, will the Gill unlock be usable online? I can see that getting REALLY annoying.

polynski 5 August, 2011 @ 8:08 pm   46

obviously u aint gunna answer so im off to play my childhood favourites crash bandicoot 1 followed by a bugs life followed by monsters inc followed by rayman followed by rayman 2 followed by tarzan followed by oddworld abes odysee followed by oddworld abes exxodus..ima hve a ps1 marathon seeya in 2 or 3 days

vonhammer 5 August, 2011 @ 8:13 pm   47

Liked the look of PayDay from the first trailer,and it’s the only one from that list i’d buy.Would by lying if I said I wasn’t interested in SF and R Op’s but doubt i’ll buy them.
If your into the four then it’s a fair deal,especially with + discount.

vonhammer 5 August, 2011 @ 8:20 pm   48

Sorry for the double post,but another reason I won’t be getting SF is because of the way Capcom require you to be online when playing.Totally against that.
Hopefully after the PSN downtime Capcom will rethink the drm.

wow POLYNSKI i wouldn’t be able to finish oddworld 1 – 2 in two days :-)

I’ll be on the lookout for you in between my GamesCom appointments Ross :)

Ross McGrath 6 August, 2011 @ 9:45 am

I’m around from the 16th to the 18th – a couple of these titles will be on our stand as well.

Load all