Posted 5 August

Twisted Metal Release Update

Twisted Metal logo

Hey all! David Jaffe here with some good news and bad news on behalf of myself, my Eat Sleep Play partner and Twisted Metal co-director Scott Campbell, the entire Eat Sleep Play team, and Sony Santa Monica.

First the good news: Eat Sleep Play and Sony Santa Monica are cranking like mad to get a fantastic Twisted Metal build ready for both Gamescom and PAX Prime! For those not in the know: Gamescom is August 17th-21st in Cologne, Germany and PAX Prime (link) will take place here in America August 26th-28th in Seattle, Washington. Both shows are open to the public but PAX – I believe- is already sold out. If you’ve got PAX Prime tickets, I can’t wait to see you there! I hope you’ll swing by the Twisted Metal booth and give our game a try!

At Gamescom and PAX we’ll be showing off a brand new level called Thrills & Spills Amusement Park! It’s one of our favorite all time Twisted Metal levels and it’s filled with the over the top destruction, strategic level choices, and twisted humor that fans of the series have come to love and expect. Players at both shows will also get hands on with TEAM HUNTED, a brand new mode that we’ll be unveiling – for the first time ever – at Gamescom. We’ll also be premiering the new Dollface story trailer which delves into just what makes that nutty-but-sexy pink-haired freak tick.

And at both shows we’ll be handing out some super cool, super creepy Sweet Tooth masks! Halloween will be here before you know it and we want Twisted Fans to be able to represent their favorite slasher in style!

Ok, so now…the bad news. Or at least the ‘news that seems bad at first but after you read the rest of my post I’m sure you’ll agree that it’s actually fantastic news’ news. So here it is:

We’re not shipping Twisted Metal October 4th, 2011. We’re going to miss our date. We’re going to be late.

Ugh! I know, I know. A lot of dedicated, supportive, passionate Twisted Metal fans have been waiting for the return of Calypso’s demented contest for a long time but the truth is: we’re just not ready yet.

Sony has been – and remains – a super supportive champion and collaborator on this title and all of us at Eat Sleep Play are so grateful that their patience and generosity will allow us the extra time needed to polish our demented baby until it shines. NOTE: I don’t actually think that qualifies as a mixed metaphor… just a bad one. But the ‘demented baby’ part was really cool to me, and it felt very Twisted Metal-y, so I’m keeping it in this post.

Anyway – it sucks bad when games miss their announced launch dates. We’re gamers too and we know how annoying it is. It’s disappointing and frustrating and it really takes the wind out of your sails if you’re a fan that has been looking forward to playing a title for a long time. Thing is, you gotta trust me when I tell you that – with this extra time for tuning and polish – the game is going to be so much better than it already is. And if you played Twisted Metal and liked it at E3 or Comic-Con, or if you get to play it (and you enjoy it) at one of the August shows, just imagine how much more fun the final game will be with some extra time, polish, and love.

There’s a great, classic industry saying by legendary Nintendo designer – and personal hero – Shigeru Miyamoto that goes a little something like this:

‘A late game is only late until it ships. A bad game is bad until the end of time.’

Now, if we shipped Twisted Metal tomorrow – going off the response from folks who have played it – I assure you, it would never be a bad game. Not even close. But we’re aiming for a heck of a lot more than that! With Twisted Metal we plan to ship a multiplayer classic. We plan to ship the best Twisted Metal ever made. We plan to convert a lot of folks who think vehicle combat is a relic best left to 90′s nostalgia. And we plan to explode the belief that the only relevant kind of shooter is a first person one (or a 3rd person one, where you play a human… with a tee shirt not all the way tucked in :)…).

Most importantly, we plan on treating you – the kind folks who play our game (and pay our bills) – like the VIPs that you are. You only deserve our best and we appreciate your understanding as we take a little more time to guarantee that our best is what we deliver.

Twisted Metal for PS3 will ship early 2012. Stay tuned for more details.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

38 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Xenostar 5 August, 2011 @ 4:04 pm   1

Seems like a large delay is that really just for polish or are you adding new content.

Dante_Zero 5 August, 2011 @ 4:07 pm   2

hello Mr jaffe. Thanks for the heads up. Keep up the hard work and keeping the dev interviews real. I’m kinda glad TM has been delayed till early next year as it would have been hard on the wallet with all the other great games coming out and we all want twisted metal to be a success so launching it in the same time as a certain FPS wouldn’t have been a good idea but now Twisted metal will get more exposure and more sales because of the delay. Anyway look forward to taking you all out sweet tooth style come early 2012. :)

Stonesthrow 5 August, 2011 @ 4:07 pm   3

I’d prefer a delay for extra polish anyday.. Nice to see David Jaffe on the blog

Immortal-Wolf- 5 August, 2011 @ 4:08 pm   4

who cares about twisted metal its gonna be rubbish anyway.

Erroneus 5 August, 2011 @ 4:09 pm   5

Well frankly this fall is hammered with big releases. Yes every fall has that, but this year is REALLY REALLY big. UC3, Skyrim, Deus Ex, Resitance 3, Dead Island, MW3, AC:R, Saints Row 3, BF3, Ratchet & Clank, Batman: Arkham City, Dark Souls…. and LOTS more. So pushing Twisted Metal to early 2012 is not a bad move, pretty much for nobody other then the hardcore fans dying to get it :)

No worries about the delay.

Quality is more important in the long run and developers should never release anything until they are happy with it (even if they’re pressured).

Carry on and make it great.

SunnyBoy 5 August, 2011 @ 4:11 pm   7

Hey David, take your time, I rather have polished game than a rushed game with tons of patches and updates. Very annoying these days. All the best!

worst news of the day :( oh well I guess it’s for the best

colbaker27 5 August, 2011 @ 4:15 pm   9

Or just aiming for a slightly quiter release time – no bad thing at all as there is already so much due in October / Novemeber so take your time :) Good luck !

BenchyUK 5 August, 2011 @ 4:21 pm   10

With the lack of an E3 showing, i knew pretty much then that it would slip to 2012.

2012 is ok. Because the next few months there is to much to buy & play(i.e Uncharted 3 + R&C + R3 + ICO HD + MGS HD etc etc) :P

Catkiller1 5 August, 2011 @ 4:35 pm   12

Damn, was looking forward to this, but it will work out good in the end :)

Any chance, if you purchase the game new, you will receive a voucher to download the original PS1 version?

I’m sure the wait will be worth it & I have every faith in you David!

Thank you for personally blogging & for the update.

To be honest with Resistance 3, Uncharted 3 & Battlefield 3, all releasing within a tight window, it will only be beneficial!

I really don’t understand why people like Twisted Metal. I remember playing the demo of the first game with a few mates and not really enjoying it. Saying that, its original, and I would really like to give this one a go to see if I like it. I hope you release a demo as without one I don’t think I could pay £40 for it. (PS, that comment about the tee shirt not tucked all the way in could easily be replaced by “bald man with beard who shouts a lot and has gritty family issues”, and if it was Uncharted you were trying to slag, its unwise since its a lot funnier than your “our big selling point is the humour” game. XD)

Good news me thinks :). Hoppefully their wont be lots of aches then when the game releases and oktobe-november is pretty full up.

So any news on a beta maybe????

4# Just because the game isn’t generic dosen’t mean it will be rubbish. This game will be awesome!!! So tired of all fps games.

raffieltiger 5 August, 2011 @ 5:04 pm   15

Twisted Metal is an old franchise, so a reboot will definitely be worth the wait :D.

Need more games that don’t take themselves so damn seriously.

DAVIE222 5 August, 2011 @ 5:11 pm   16

i watched E3 2010 yestaday because i missed it last year and….wow i was extreemly impresed with twisted metal (never heard of it before) lol but this one looks great! its a dfenate buy for me!

geddesmond2 5 August, 2011 @ 5:13 pm   17

I never played a Twisted Metal game before because I didn’t follow the gaming industry back then like I do now so I didn’t know much about TM but I was really anticipating this game. Everything I seen of the game looks awesome and I am very very disappointed with the delay. I’ve been looking forward to October for ages now and I have the game pre ordered weeks ago.

How early is early 2012? January? March? December 21st 2012? We could all be dead by then ya know or taken away by aliens!

geddesmond2 5 August, 2011 @ 5:26 pm   18

@Immortal wolf

If you think a games rubbish then stay away from its comments section. I really hate people talking bad about games they have never played or have no interest in. It says a lot about your character and your intelligence.

Now go back to playing COD for the 1 millionth time

iriihutoR48 5 August, 2011 @ 5:50 pm   19

It was one of my most anticipated games for this autumn but I’ll just make it one of my most anticipated games for next year. We Playstation owners certainly don’t lack games over the next few months.

fair enough, hope the delay helps you do everything you want with the game! Will it be at the Eurogamer expo too? Please? :)

danielmccue 5 August, 2011 @ 6:17 pm   21

good decision. That said, a demo would be nice.

Willie699 5 August, 2011 @ 6:28 pm   22

Very rarely do I feel understanding after an announcement that a game im looking forward to gets delayed for a couple of months. Shows the class of the developer to pull that off.

SphericalPuma 5 August, 2011 @ 6:33 pm   23

No worries about the delay, and loving the Shiggy quote, but I think it goes “A delayed game is eventually good, a bad game is bad forever.” Take all the time, to make this game great.

DoucheVader 5 August, 2011 @ 6:35 pm   24

Wow I am impressed no cuss words. LOL

tiago-kun 5 August, 2011 @ 6:41 pm   25

I’m actually cool with that. That way I can get more play time with the crowded holiday season and then have more time later for the Twisted Metal. Take your time, no rush.

If there’s anything a few games showed me was that better delayed and good than rushed and bad.

Melchiah001 5 August, 2011 @ 6:41 pm   26

Thanks for the update, Jaffe. Take your time and make it even better. Have had this game pre-ordered and paid off for six months or more. Pushing this back to 2012 will allow me to give it some more play time. This holiday season is maddening!! Maybe you and the rest of the crew at Eat Sleep Play could use use this extra time to put Yellow Jacket in the game? Please please please please put Yellow Jacket in! :))

Spiderling 5 August, 2011 @ 9:28 pm   27

I would imagine Mr Jaffe that with your new found love of Saville Row T-shirts and an ample Doughnut David skin, that your sweat ringed upper garment stays firmly tucked into your pantaloonies while attacking enemies in the desert?

Hmm? ;)

Take all the time you need, a lot of stuff coming out last quarter and vita early 2012 so I would pencil in, what, July next year as that is generally when there is a drought of good games.

bitbydeath 5 August, 2011 @ 11:24 pm   28

I hope you guys try release TM at least a month or two before Starhawk arrives cause once that game comes out i doubt i’ll have much time for any other games.

Scuffy_P 6 August, 2011 @ 8:38 am   29

Mr Jaffe, You’re totally right. I’d rather wait an extra 12 months for a good game to become great, than 12 weeks early for a great game to slip to being good.

It’s ready when it’s ready. Plus, things are so crowded this year sales might be lost to games of a more generic, anual *yawn* nature.

Good luck.

TehPhilosopher 6 August, 2011 @ 9:55 am   30

Releasing games late will annoy bean counters, but I think every gamer appreciates that it’s better to release a good game than a half-finished one.

vherostar 6 August, 2011 @ 1:15 pm   31

I would rather wait for a perfect TM than get a buggy one on launch. Too many buggy games released these days then patched after launch. Brink is a perfect example of this and ESP are doing a great job keep it up! plus you miss that mad Christmas rush which is also great as it won’t impact profits. TOO many games!

Catkiller1 6 August, 2011 @ 1:38 pm   32

@ Immortal

Seriously!!! Stop trolling about COD!

The majority of people that play COD are kids anyway………Ah I see now lol J/K

ligtningrod1 6 August, 2011 @ 6:34 pm   33

Good on ya!,

Its about time other Devs did the same Im sick of day one patches Day one DLC Day one Cock ups Day one rip offs.

Take your time tbh :D

niemtoor 6 August, 2011 @ 11:20 pm   34

hmm

lukeridgley 7 August, 2011 @ 11:21 pm   35

Wise move, this game won’t compete with the quality being released during the holiday period. Not impressed from what I’ve seen of twisted metal anyway. Looks like an over the top “comedy” version of rage’s proposed multiplayer deathmatch racer, only with ps2 quality visuals running at 15fps.

EmpireNO 8 August, 2011 @ 8:42 am   36

I’m glad Sony Santa Monica jumped inn to save this game, ESP wouldn’t stand a chance without their help. I wasn’t that interrested in this game, but now I can’t help but thinking it’ll be a great game, just like everything SSM touches, and in coop with ESP it’ll be awesome.

Only bad thing about SSM working so much on this is their own new titles will probably suffer delays because of this. Read: God of War 4 and Starhawk.

Hell_Bound666 31 August, 2011 @ 5:14 pm   37

=( It sucks that it’s being delayed(again) BUT at least there is some light at the end of the tunnel. 1 with it being delayed it gives them a chance to polish this to a perfect shine. 2 it will also possibly help the sales of the game because the original release date was pretty damn close to A LOT of big name games this year(Batman Arkham City,Resistance 3,MW3 Etc.) so it MAY have got lost in the group if it was released when it was originally going to be released. This way at least it may have little to NO competition and possibly become a HUGE seller(No that it wouldn’t even if it HADN’T been delayed) faster

Hell_Bound666 31 August, 2011 @ 5:14 pm   38