Posted 10 August

New Features And XMB Changes Coming In System Software Update 3.70

PS3 System Software Update 3.70 will be available from 10 August, bringing new features to PlayStation Network and changes to the XMB (XrossMediaBar).

For PlayStation Plus members, System Software update 3.70 introduces two often requested features: Automatic syncing on trophies to PlayStation Network and automatic upload of game saves to Online Storage (only available to PlayStation Plus subscribers). Syncing of Trophy information will occur at the time you select in the Automatic Download settings; due to these additional functions, ‘Automatic Download’ will be renamed as ‘Automatic Update’.

System Software 3.70 will also make some changes to the layout of the XMB. The [TV] section will be renamed [TV/Video Services] and is where you will find the streaming video services available in your territory, such as BBC iPlayer in the UK.

TVservices_110802

In PlayStation Store, a ‘recommend’ feature has been added, allowing you to message your PlayStation Network friends and highlight a game or other piece of content.

MPO (Multi-Picture format) files for 3D photos and multi-angle photos can now be displayed under Photo and in [Photo Gallery].

3D playback of Blu-ray Java (“BD-J”) content is now supported. You can now enjoy BD-J content recorded on Blu-ray 3D discs.

In order to download PS3 system software version 3.70, you will need a minimum 190MB of free space on either the PS3 Hard Disk Drive (System Update) or on removable storage media (PC Update).

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

339 Comments 6 Author replies
Show oldest first

Please increase the amount of data we can upload on the cloud. 150MB is not enough. :-/

KC-alpha-14 10 August, 2011 @ 9:35 am   2

My automatic updates aren’t working since the update. PS3 won’t turn on at all to auto update everything. Good update though.

James Gallagher 10 August, 2011 @ 9:37 am

You might need to go back in to the settings menu and turn it back on – this happened to me too after the last update and it now works fine for me since I turned it back on.

Any TV/Video services for Poland??

YES! Great news!! Thanks!

I can’t find the option where we can select which saves we want to be automatically uploaded

AcidCrashX 10 August, 2011 @ 9:39 am   6

great update guys, love the idea of recommendations to friends.

I would really love to see a unified area for games on the XMB, while trying to search for, and delete, data that I no longer needed/used on my PS3 to free up hard drive space, I found it very hard ot find all my files for individual games.

is it possible to move all data for games to a single area? rather than install data, update data and save data all separated across several areas.

would also really love to see an improvement in the store as to my purchased items. trying to find games I bought 6 months ago and want to re-download is very difficult :(

thanks for the work guys and keep it up :)

Plz add facebook for sub accounts. And i cant get the playstation app 2 work on my Stockholm mobile phone. And i only bought the phone for the PS app.

Carnivius_Prime 10 August, 2011 @ 9:40 am   8

Excellent. Been wanting that automatic save to online for a while. Saves me having to go through my stuff after I’ve played it and doing it manually.

By the way I’ve been loving the new iPlayer. Every single one of the damn annoying things I hated in the old version has been fixed and improved on immensely. Hope the ITV and 4oD ones get the same treatment.

MidgetOlympics 10 August, 2011 @ 9:41 am   9

Anychance the next update could improve the internet browser also would like to be able to put games in separate folders , so the ability to create sub folders

sentry-23 10 August, 2011 @ 9:42 am   10

Great to finally have DTS-HD in 3D as well. That does work on all systems, not just the slim version, right ?

PROJECT-JONNY 10 August, 2011 @ 9:42 am   11

Sucks how only PS+ users get the option of automatic updates. I was hoping this would be a standard feature for all PS3 owners. I can’t help but think that PS+ is just a money-grabbing scheme.

Why is Vidzone left in Music category? Isn’t it a video service?

James Gallagher 10 August, 2011 @ 9:57 am

I see what you’re saying but I reckon music is still the right place for it.

the_ghost__NL 10 August, 2011 @ 9:43 am   13

Awesome new features glad to see that my save games are really save now I always forget to upload them ^^
sadly no cross game chat

Message send from a android device

capitales7 10 August, 2011 @ 9:44 am   14

I guess these changes are welcome, although I was hoping for an overhaul of the entire friends system. I don’t have an Xbox, but it seems to be the only area where that console trumps the PS3 IMO. I love my PS and I am really starting to gather loads of friends on PSN, but I find that 90% of the time I can’t be bothered communicating with them, as it’s cumbersome and unusable.

Some much needed features:
* Voice chat while in game (like chat rooms)
* Combine voice and text chat so that some people can type, others can talk
* Make messages less like e-mails and more like IMs.
* And here’s an “out there” feature, speech to text for chat??? Would make it really easy for people without keyboards to join a chat room

One can dream…

Have they given us control over the creation of icons and install of downloads?

I hate animated icons; and want to install software in my own time.

Haven’t used the autodownload feature since day one for this very reason. Switched it off after it created icons for all of my video files.

GothicHunter 10 August, 2011 @ 9:46 am   16

After updating to 3.70 the section ‘TV’ has disappeared completely and not replaced with anything else, what a useless update

My entire TV section seems to have gone missing. BBC Iplayer and the rest have gone into hiding. What gives?

capitales7 10 August, 2011 @ 9:49 am   18

Usually signing into PSN and playing a game (I just launched MW2 MP and quit again) then restarting brings back the TV section.
Kinda crap, but that’s how it works…

KingHypnos 10 August, 2011 @ 9:50 am   19

I updated earlier today and to see what’s been added I looked at wikipedia and there it also said ” Surround sound capabilities on headphones.” What does that mean, was ot even part of the update and why don’t you say anything about it if so? Thanks in advance.

Rammstone 10 August, 2011 @ 9:54 am   20

Good update, but can you PLEASE add “copy multiple” and “delete multiple” button in the PS3 Savegames folder?

pickled01 10 August, 2011 @ 9:54 am   21

Great update, I noticed a couple changes to BBC Iplayer last night which I’m not sure if this has anything to do with! One suggestion for a future update, is that voice chat is available for multiple users when they are all in different games? Just like ( dare I say their name on the playstation blog) Xbox live chat! It would make it so much better! Do you know if this idea has been tested or anything or going to be in a future update coming soon? Thanks for your time:)

TheSabreman 10 August, 2011 @ 9:55 am   22

So PlayStation Plus’ers already pay for beta’s that official beta testers get for free.

Now we have updates that only have a purpose if you pay.

Resistance 3 will see the beginning of the PSN Pass too.

Are you struggling for funds & desperate for money ?

mh24185669 10 August, 2011 @ 9:57 am   23

@james, any news yet on avatars that still not working?

cat-charlie 10 August, 2011 @ 9:57 am   24

BBCiPlayer has disappeared!!! where has it gone! My GF is going to kill me if it doesn’t come back!

windowsmsnlipi 10 August, 2011 @ 9:58 am   25

.. i think ill wait with that update just for a little ^^

JonnyPauz 10 August, 2011 @ 9:58 am   26

Hey James is this csidentity.com/sony protection program legit, I recieved an email from news@au.playstationmail.com 4hrs ago about it

mh24185669 10 August, 2011 @ 9:58 am   27

@james, hey any news yet on avatar not working?

shaolinsword 10 August, 2011 @ 9:59 am   28

I’m not normally one to moan but how is automatic trophy synching a premium service?

PROJECT-JONNY 10 August, 2011 @ 10:00 am   29

Oh and my TV section just doesn’t exist anymore

killah_fury 10 August, 2011 @ 10:01 am   30

@cat-charlie & @Aysir – and anyone else who says TV services have disappeared… restart your PS3 to get the service back.

It only does everything! Woooooooooo

Save game upload is a great new feature, but how exactly does it work? Does it upload everything automatically, or does it just update the ones you’ve already added manually?

In any case, with the 150 MB limit slowly but steadily creeping ever closer, I have to add to the call for an increase in storage space. It was a decent start, but in the long term we are going to need more! :)

Shadowdragoon 10 August, 2011 @ 10:05 am   33

I have to agree that 150 MB is not enough for saves, I dont have many games, and I am pretty sure I am above the 150 MB limit, we could really use some more space for (online stored)saves.

mrfight67 10 August, 2011 @ 10:06 am   34

So when are these movie channnels coming, or are they just example of possible channels?

mh24185669 10 August, 2011 @ 10:07 am   35

@james also having problems system not recognising security to other browser pages like entering pass for blog!!

cat-charlie 10 August, 2011 @ 10:07 am   36

Its come back now… I turned the PS3 off and back on again and it still wasn’t there, so I went hunting for a solution on the net and after a few minutes I looked back and it had appeared back… very weird…

Oh well, my GF will be happy.

GothicHunter 10 August, 2011 @ 10:07 am   37

@Killah_Fury thanks mate, all good now

WHERE’S OUR CROSS GAME CHAT DAMN IT!

Craftiii4 10 August, 2011 @ 10:09 am   39

HELP!, after I updated to this. I cant start any chapters on uncharted 2, the dagger spins for ever, and the music goes onto a 2 second loop. When I quit the game my ps3 resets. Fix this soon please, one trophie away from platinum >.<

When does the video svervices and movies come to scandinavia?
Its so unfair that we never gets the cool stuff.

bigbossarg 10 August, 2011 @ 10:12 am   41

Hey Sony guys, look i dont want to be mean or anything, but could you PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE work on the kind of updates the community so desperately wants.
And if you are not able to do this because of a higher power, would you kindly let us know who should we try to convice? because its been years since we wanted the cross voice chat thingy and no word.
Seriously we, and i m talking for atleast 90% of the playstation community want a better experience on our Online time with the PS3.
Thanks.
(also, where is tombi? )

Adding features for just plus users selling demos and betas. Sony getting desperate penny pinching B’s

luke2k10boi 10 August, 2011 @ 10:14 am   43

I don’t have the tv section. What do I do?

Are there any updates for the buil-in “internet browser”?

**I’ve lost my ITV 4OD etc since getting 3.70. I have iPlayer, Lovefilm and Mubi but not the rest. Where have they gone? I’ve reset a number of times but still nothing.**

What @Rammstone Comment 20 said times 10 ;-)

Copy multiple and delete multiple in game saves
Oh and more cloud storage space… 150Mb is to small!

Still no MKV support?

loonytoon1982 10 August, 2011 @ 10:17 am   48

Highly disappointed that once again requested features are being added but requiring a Plus subscription to avail of the services. These need to be either free or made available as a smaller fee subscription for those not looking to invest in Plus.

Once again punished for being loyal and spending higher amounts of money on new releases in the past aswell as the present. You even say yourself in the blog post that these are “two often requested features” which is true but when requested I’m sure people wanted them to be included for all.

Currently disappointed with how things are going and have regularly made my point about Plus having nothing to offer me in terms of gaming to justify the cost, the discounts alone aren’t enough as they’re still paid for.

Curiously wondering if my comments will be taken on board or do I need to pay for that privilege aswell? At the moment it’s a shame that there’s no alternative to obtaining these features. We still have to update like everyone else and add the features that we can’t acccess.

i don’t understand. if there are more people using one ps3.
is sony really expecting every family member to buy plus?
isn’t it that kind of wrong?
and like me.
i have different account for buying things
as i have moved to other country and sony is
not allowing to change your country.
so i have left with paying for plus but be unable to
take advantage of some extra features on my main account.
the other one i use only to be able to buy psn cards around here
where i live now.
do you think it is fair ?

psychobudgie 10 August, 2011 @ 10:21 am   50

I have a original phat 60gb model which now is missing the Add media tab. All I have showing is iPlayer and Love Film but no option to re-add Mubi, ITV or C4. The problem isn’t present on my 80gb model or my Slim. I’m assuming I’m not the only one with the issue. I’ve tried, restarting, loading home, inserting a game, logging in and out, restoring the system and reactivating the system. Nothing works.

Load all