Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 11:42am

Borderlands 2 Interview

Gamescom 2011 is a hazy memory now that I’m back at my London desk, watching raindrops fall down the window and imagining they’re racing each other, but that doesn’t mean our coverage is over. I still have a few interviews to bring you, starting with Anthony Burch, writer on the recently announced Borderlands 2.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

47 Comments 7 Author replies
Show oldest first

I’ve don’t know about buying borderlands 2 .. Give plus members free borderlands, then i will get borderlands+ If i like it borderlands 2

I thought it was a bit of a let-down when playing with friends; the ranking system made playing with people of different rank totally pointless except for boosting purposes. The interesting parts were few and far between, padded out with hours of grinding through the same areas over and over again. I won’t be getting the sequel, especially if Rage proves itself.

James Gallagher 23 August, 2011 @ 2:26 pm

I only played it in single-player, as is the case with almost every game these days. We’ve got some coverage of Rage coming so might be able to help you make your mind up.

Alonemusic 23 August, 2011 @ 12:51 pm   3

Hey! It’s the guy from Hey Ash Watchcha Playing!

in other news, I’d be interested in Borderlands 2, though I found the original a little too repetitive to get to the end. Loved the art style though and the DLC was pretty great.

James Gallagher 23 August, 2011 @ 2:27 pm

They did produce great DLC but I figured it would be a bit silly to ask about that when we know so little of the main game. More of a just-before-release interview question.

I’m going to be honest, I hated the first game I found it super boring, I hope this is better.

Shou_Kobayashi 23 August, 2011 @ 1:42 pm   5

Hey Ash, watcha playin’?

Borderlands was great in the beginning but after a while it gets boring just redoing stuff to level up

SalmonCannon 23 August, 2011 @ 2:31 pm   7

I personally LOVED the original Borderlands and can’t wait for the second one, i enjoyed everything about the game, especially farming Crawmerax (a very hard boss) for Pearlescent weapons on my second playthrough

mh24185669 23 August, 2011 @ 2:33 pm   8

It was a good start but soon found myself getting bored and tired of the repetitious back and forth! never bothered completing, so the second game will have to be in bargain bin before i even glance at it!!

Jamesie_Payne91 23 August, 2011 @ 2:36 pm   9

I’m currently playing Borderlands and find it to be a great game. I think I will be purchasing Borderlands 2 when its released (do we have a date yet?) and look forward to playing it. Great interview James.

Slightly off topic, but any information on a PS Store update?

James Gallagher 23 August, 2011 @ 2:40 pm

This comments thread alone shows how people were polarised around this game – might make a good Weekend Debate: why are some games like Marmite?

PS Store updates are on Wednesdays.

James, off topic I know, but any idea when auto updates will be fixed for some Playstation Plus members? It’s all over your EU forum in the technical section, and no word from Sony.

Hey james, a few weeks back you posted the happy campers weekend debate. I posted a comment and then went on holiday and when i came back this week i found that my comment was one of the winning ones. so i followed the link you put to the forums, checked my private messages and there was nothing there! could i please get a reply and my prize! thank you! sorry if this double posts…

obiadekanobi1980 23 August, 2011 @ 2:46 pm   13

wow games are made on copius amounts of red bull by the looks of it do they have a red bull detox programme for the devs???

good interview james the more i hear bout borderlands the more i think about grabbing it any chance of a discount on the game like the US had

cheers james and the biggest raindrop always loses to the little ones!!

Feck2009 23 August, 2011 @ 2:49 pm   14

I think the original Borderlands is awesome, i’m playing through it a second time . i so can’t wait for the second one.

bobopudge 23 August, 2011 @ 2:57 pm   15

@10, I turned my automatic update off for a day and turned it back on yesterday. now it works fine, try that.
James, there isn’t a relevant post for this but a suggestion could be to make batman: arkham asylum avaiable digitally and meybe give it to PS+ for free to add hype to Arkham City while it releases alongside some stellar games. Please let me know if this is possible

James Gallagher 23 August, 2011 @ 3:03 pm

That’s a call for Warner Brothers to make, not me. I don’t have any say in anything outside of this blog.

I really enjoyed borderlands, I played it with my brother and I had lots of fun. I even got the plat. I will be getting borderlands 2

“What did you think of the original Borderlands and will you be picking up the sequel?”

They changed the initial artstyle to somthing that I don´t like to I dind´t buy the first one and sure not going to buy the second one. My friend also thought it was boring and almost all Unreal Engine 3 titles look bad on PS3.
To much great games comming out I do care for.

windsorblue01 23 August, 2011 @ 3:20 pm   18

just got the first one from ebay £7.50 got it today takes ages to install and im having problems syncing the trophies keeps getting stuck 15% but i like the game

I know it’s totally unrelated, but what is the “try” for under all the games in the gamescom section of the store. At first I thought demo’s but there is nothing in them, what are they for?

polynski 23 August, 2011 @ 3:45 pm   20

any1 wunna play rainbow 6 vegas 2? if so add me

CassyChan 23 August, 2011 @ 3:51 pm   21

Cool, I played the crap out of the first one but the only thing that’s putting me off getting the sequel day one is all the glitches in the first, I had a few quests glitch and the Mad Moxxi rounds stop spawning enemies two hours in forcing me to restart. Just looking through the wikia there are a ridiculous number of glitches, all I really care about for the sequel is that they don’t rush it out with so many issues and such a dodgy framerate.

Also I don’t get what he means about not making the player watch a cutscene for 20 mins… the first one had like a page of writing for every single mission log, that’s far more tedious! Hopefully they’ll produce a better story overall though, as the sequel does sound better than the first already.

DAVIE222 23 August, 2011 @ 5:18 pm   22

JAMES LOOK!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WOOOO MY AVATAR :D

DAVIE222 23 August, 2011 @ 5:20 pm   23

mh24185669

LOOK AT MY AVATAR! HAHA

James Gallagher 23 August, 2011 @ 5:21 pm

Phew… I’m glad about that. I’ll let the devs know as they have been scratching their heads.

windsorblue01 23 August, 2011 @ 5:21 pm   24

i think every one on the blog would like to congratulate davie222 for getting his avatar fixed after all these weeks

@DAVIE222 Total random post LOL.

EagleJin 23 August, 2011 @ 5:27 pm   26

What did I think of the first? Brilliant! BL1 was and is not a game where questing and completing the story is the only thing doable. Me and a friend loved exploiting the physics engine, running wild in the environments with the Racer.

Questing, in this case aka “BFG” (Back and Forth Gaming…), was not fun inbetween talking to NPCs and the killing parts. Repetetive, yes. Boring? Not really. Because BL1 has eastereggs, great attention to detail in conversation and characters.

Will I buy BL2? Of course! If BL2 can give me just half of the hours with fun I had with BL1, it’s money well spent.

DAVIE222 23 August, 2011 @ 5:31 pm   27

James

yeah! im happy now! p.s: your a prefesinal interviewer lol

DAVIE222 23 August, 2011 @ 5:32 pm   28

windsorblue01

i didnt, my friend did :)

OGSamir

well i am exited because for months now ive had that old avatar!

polynski 23 August, 2011 @ 5:39 pm   29

yeah davie222 i changed ur avatar big whoop lol it like 40p

polynski 23 August, 2011 @ 5:41 pm   30

n u sed it doesnt work:) im actually happy i fixed something the mods were confused about:)

polynski 23 August, 2011 @ 5:43 pm   31

lol its a avatar idc shh poly shh ur acting crazy

DAVIE222 23 August, 2011 @ 5:49 pm   32

polynski

yeah :D its my avatar! hahaha.

polynski 23 August, 2011 @ 6:17 pm   33

while i was changing it 4 u shedboy messaged u saying i was stupid what the hell

polynski 23 August, 2011 @ 6:35 pm   34

james can you ask someone scea if we can have the tester season 3(if there is gunna be 1) on the eu store pretty please..its like a gameshow ive seen both seasons where both cyrus and gaymer won but had to watch it on youtube

OMG, thats Ash’s brother.. he wasnt joking when he said he works for Gearbox… damn!!! lol

His sister is sooooooooooooo funny its unreal!

Good on him. Hes whole family is really funny. Plus hes dads the man.

I dont have a horse in the race for the borderlands francise so i couldnt care for it but had to just comment on ant being on the blog.

Hey James could you do a article on his Hey Ash What you Playing episodes please dude, its so funny!

Cant wait I’m a huge fan

chrisandsheva 23 August, 2011 @ 9:51 pm   37

nice, i was lucky enough to download the trial, well put it on my download history list, so i played it bout 2 months back and just knew that i’d be getting it and not long after i spotted it new for £10 in hmv, and grabbed 3 of the dlc’s when they were on sale a few weeks back….. all i can say is that it is one of the best games i have played, and how i missed it on release i’ve no idea… just got the plat halfway into 2nd playthrough..but i want to finish this (2nd) play b4 i move on to the dlc’s… i never give it a thought bout it bien like marmite, (ha).. which i hate as like i said it’s 1 of the best i played glithces warts and all, … so to have the rumours confirmed about 2 is for me very welcome news…. but as someones asked when will/can we expect it….. ps. got to laugh at someone wanting it off plus and then they’ll buy 2 haha… since when have plus given out anything good, or even pegi 18s lucky if we get a pegi12, of them which is one of the reasons i’ll not be wasting anymore of ‘my’ time with it.

Alex-1124 24 August, 2011 @ 1:05 am   38

Really looking forward to Borderlands 2, I’m hoping for some kind of special edition which comes with a decent sized Claptrap (Original orange one). Was the interview sped up because you both seemed to be talking pretty fast :P.

James Gallagher 24 August, 2011 @ 10:22 am

Time is short on these junket-type events. No special treatment for PS.Blog, I’m afraid!

Boraderlands 2 count me in can’t wait to get it

Sweet can’t wait to get borderlands 2 I played the first one over a over I like playing the zombie dlc it was awesome

I loved the first Borderlands – I finished it and all dlc on the other console – would buy it for ps3 but can’t import the fabulous guns I got and no way will I ever do the underdome again

Borderlands 2 – Hitler in the wild west – yep I’m sold will be a day one purchase for me just like the original Borderlands was

as for the grinding – I play RPGS – Borderlands is not that much of a grind – less a grind than passing into legend 5 times on Red Dead Redemption or getting to guild rank 30 on White Knight Chronicles

What’s with all the beards?

I really liked BL 1, it’s one of my two only platinums (and I have a lot of games!).

Looking fw to BL2!!

Stonesthrow 24 August, 2011 @ 4:17 pm   43

Ash her brother? :d

Will-i-am234 24 August, 2011 @ 11:52 pm   44

I loved the first Borderlands game and all the add on content, I hope they haven’t taken out any of the charm or mindless fun, I just hope there is a much better and less disappointing ending -.-

BRILLIANT! love the first one played and completed it so many times. i hope they’ll be a demo to pass the time towards its release date to pass the time. i can’t wait for it. this weekend debate also sounds good.

lobo_eire 29 August, 2011 @ 4:33 pm   46

i just hope the ingame voice chat works: ridiculous that an extremely co-op orientated game had broken voice chat.

I bought the game of the year borderlands, with all the dlc included, and loved every minute of it! Cant wait for the next one…..