Posted 27 September

Your Journey Begins Spring 2012

This is Jenova Chen from thatgamecompany. First of all I would like to thank you for your support during the closed beta for our upcoming game Journey. It was a great success!

Journey

For the past few months, we kept getting asked about Journey’s release date. Yes, we haven’t said anything about our release in a while mainly because we really couldn’t tell. And we don’t want to throw out a date that we are not sure about, and later disappoint our players.

Fortunately, the online beta went very well, and our continued playtests have given us great feedback on the work we have left to complete. While there is still a ton of care and polish needed, we can’t wait to finally deliver Journey, TGC’s take on an online adventure game.

Like all our games, Journey is an experiment. In the end, it’s what you think that matters. We are happy to announce Journey will be released Spring 2012, so you can experience the adventure for yourself.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

29 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Was hoping it would be before Christmas :(

Everything needs to be right though when you’re being judged by the standards of Flower.

ps. Where did the Ico & SotC article disappear to?

Booo :P I don’t think I can wait that long. Well at least I got the Beta which was fun, but I really thought it was gonna be out this year.

iriihutoR48 27 September, 2011 @ 2:17 pm   3

Great! This autumn is packed with so many incredible games that waiting will be bearable and hopefully the game will also preform better next spring.

I was expecting days/weeks, not to worry. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t sad. Looking forward to Spring.

Can’t wait.Beta was cool when you got paired up.The third area was amazing,it looks insane.
Length is a concern based on past titles.i’d like 5-8 hours from it,and deep down I think we’ll get that.But I still can’t shake the feeling it’ll be a quick two hour blast.

Cant wait

i’m totally gutted. Wasen’t involved in the beta even though i purchased flow and flower day 1 when they released SO at eurogamer on sunday it was the first time i got to get my hands on with it. It looked stunning and i really wanted more but i thought no worries only a couple weeks to wait then you break the news it’s been pushed back. Looked pretty finished to me in the demo on Sunday just be a shame that this could potentially effect sales of a game which is breath takingly magical.

Damn!

Was hoping for a release this year. Oh well the wait will be worth it!

Any chance of a 50% reduction off Flower to lighten the mood from this sad news? ;)

PedroSanchezz 27 September, 2011 @ 2:32 pm   9

As #3 pointed out there is a lot of competition in the run up to Christmas so does make sense to hold out until spring. (lets hope it’s early spring rather than late spring though!)
Got to play the 1st level at ‘Playstation Access’ in Birmingham and was blown away by the sheer beauty of the game. Can not wait to play it in full.
Might have to fire up ‘Flower’ in the meantime and bask in it’s glory for a while!

To quote Star Wars Episode 6 Blu-ray Edition…..

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!

Lee_and_Nomi 27 September, 2011 @ 2:39 pm   11

I’ll play the game when it is ready I’m sure I’ll love it. I really feel this is going to be a very special game.

I would love a dynamic theme at the start of the year to get the hype rolling. I’d even pre order the game to get one.

FULLMETAL56 27 September, 2011 @ 3:01 pm   12

2012 ???
I’m a hge fan of TGC’s games but i’m really bored of the wait of news from you…

it will be without me… the game is not anymore attractive…

The beta was AMAZING :P It was a rare beta invite i got to :D

tapantaola 27 September, 2011 @ 3:30 pm   14

How much will it cost? €9.99, just like Flower?

I also hope for a PS+ discount. :)

I loved the Beta and I´m excited to see how the final product compares to what I have played. It´s a long wait but it will be worth it.

Jesse-Blue 27 September, 2011 @ 5:01 pm   16

NOOOOOOOOOO…. :-(
Postponed to spring next year??!

This was THE downloadable game I was most looking forward to play, All the beta coverage and videos got me so hyped.
Now it’s release date is so distant I will have to loose interest otherwise I would go nuts waiting in anticipation for another 7-9 months… :)

VERY disappointed, but I guess better wait for a polished game some months longer then get a half finished product.

All the media build-up for nothing though, majority of people won’t even remember all the stuff shown now when the game releases in 7-9 months.
Hyping people for a let-down (or far too early) is not clever. :)

why do all ps+ members expect to get EVERYTHING half price???????? you all do know that these companies need to make money right? i get the fact that you paid money for ps+ but get real, you cant get EVERYTHING for half price

Sorry Jenova, but Spring 2012 is not a firm date.

windowsmsnlipi 27 September, 2011 @ 8:26 pm   19

Awesoooome! i guess we’ll have trine 2 to keep us busy til then :D

I’m really looking forward to this one

Sad news, in a way. Oh, well. You know best what’s needed.. :)

But.. any comments on whether or not the “camera on the right stick” will be in? Honestly, it was convenient when it was there, in the second patch of the beta, since I was used to having the camera on the right stick. But it did change the way I played the game. And I ended up preferring the sixaxis camera instead.

Could tell that it affected the way the other players moved around as well. Much less subtle movement, and more jittery running. Really hope it’s not “an option” in the final game. Because it really does change the way you look ahead very quickly.. One of my “non gamer” friends tried it.. took about three seconds before she was comfortable with it, and able to play the game easily. We discussed it a bit – one thing was that it made you look far off in the distance very quickly, and mentally tried to look ahead and pick a route.

You could see on the other players that the opposite happened when the camera turned quicker.

Another thing.. matchmaking. Please have a very strict filter in place, so the animation won’t break/take shortcuts because of network lag, and so on. Please? :D

It would be nice to have been invited to the beta, with the amount of money and time and effort I spend on psn. It’s unfair that beta testers are chosen by the amount of kudos people give them in the ps forums. Beta status should be given out by customer’s loyalty and customer dedication and spending power to PS3/PSN, the amount of trophies they have(not neccesarily by how many plats they have as some folk cheat tros into their systems) their dedication to any former betas they have attended. The quality of feedback they give(I see it as a work project as well as having fun and treat it accordingly), not by how many popularity points people get given by their friends in forums.
It seems in the case of Sony’s selection process for beta testers, that popularity really does breed contempt.

@procion Hey its not all about popularity. Not to show off or anything but I got a Beta code and I’ve spent 0 seconds in the ps forums lol. But your right it should be on loyality and time spent on the platform.

hehe.. trust me – I did not get the beta-code from masses of kudos on the playstation forums :D

One thing, though. The people who spend the most time on the ps3, and buy the most games – we are a very small minority. With maybe a few orthodox preferences. So if they wanted some less exclusively selective feedback, then not favouring the preorder, ps+, or most kudos or platinum trophy folks, probably makes a lot of sense.

oyunmu gzl

I agree with Jenova’s/TGC’s stance on this, and I don’t mind the wait. I would prefer to purchase, play and experience a game that reflects the creators vision rather than something that has been rushed out of the door to satisfy public/investor demands.

One thing game developers and publishers should avoid doing though (and this is mainly aimed at Sony) is releasing screenshots etc too early. Start the hype machine running six months or so before the game is released, not years before it’s released. Lengthy periods of prerelease hype does more damage than it does good.

excellent, really looking forward to it. I am mainly a stealth and FPS fan, so was really surprised how much I enjoyed flOw and flower.

Sorry, but you’ve taken far too long for a digital download title. No longer interested. It’s not as if you’re making Crysis 3, Battlefield 4, or CoDMW43.

Stonesthrow 28 September, 2011 @ 4:29 pm   29