Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 4:22pm

The SingStore Update (5 October) With Dusty, Edwyn, Kelly And Martika!

Ok, ok, I gladly take it all back. Summer was obviously far from over two weeks ago judging by me sitting in the office right now in shorts and a tee. I’d like to be wrong all the time in future if this is the outcome.

So, in case you need to cool down a little, get yourselves inside the house, fire up SingStar and download one of the beauties below. We’ve got Edwyn, Kelly and Martika for you plus a lovely Dusty Springfield song pack, an essential for those long summer evenings.

And if anyone’s even remotely interested, I’ll be going a little mental for The Offspring tracks although REO Speedwagon and The Damned are very close behind.

Kelly Clarkson_Walk Away

The Offsprings_Want You BadEdwyn Collins_A Girl Like You

See you in a few weeks ( if not before :) )

Nina xx

Essentials: Dusty Springfield

• Son Of A Preacher Man
  • I Close My Eyes And Count To Ten
  • I Just Don’t Know What To Do With Myself
  • The Look Of Love
  • You Don’t Have To Say You Love Me

Track has previously been released on a disc.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

38 Comments 23 Author replies
Show oldest first
Claudio-Bertozzi 3 October, 2011 @ 4:29 pm   1

This week i’m getting only Kelly Clarkson – Walk away ;-)

FunFontaine 3 October, 2011 @ 4:30 pm   2

Ive nothing positive to say, so Im saying nothing. Mmmmmmm. Nope, not even a sigh of despair.

quidditys_shore 3 October, 2011 @ 4:36 pm   3

sigh………

Carnivius_Prime 3 October, 2011 @ 4:37 pm   4

Did Edywn Collins actually release another song?

Skookie30 3 October, 2011 @ 4:38 pm   5

Oh god sakes this is so Unfair, SCEA has updated it blog with mention of Ps2 classic.

while SLOW-poke SCEE can’t be arse to update.

while i‘m sure EG & thesixthaxis are not lieing but i want to see the official word. :(

Nina Scherer 3 October, 2011 @ 4:44 pm

Not sure I can help you with this as this is the SingStar blog, sorry!

Skookie30 3 October, 2011 @ 4:48 pm   6

i‘m not haveing a go at you nina maybe i should but my post in the store heads up under older entries to be forgotten. :/ lol

Yay more Kelly Clarkson <3

So wheres the rest of the update? =P Did you guys blow all your licensing money on the Dancestar tracklist, cuz well that tracklist is faaaaar better than the entire 2011 Update lists altogether imo :(

But yay Kelly Clarkson, So Dusty Song Pack contains 2 Son of a Preacher man? One an up tempo techno remix?! lol :p

So yea any chance of getting some of the DanceStar stuff over here, kinda feel like SS Has been dropped in favour of the Fail wii-Rip-off move stuff :(

Nina Scherer 11 October, 2011 @ 10:27 am

Nah, swapped that Dusty one out now for The Look Of Love :)

DanceStar is a completely different game to SingStar and the only thing they have in common is that they are made by the same team.

martouf-singstar 3 October, 2011 @ 5:11 pm   8

Hello Nina,

What a coincidence !! Yesterday afternnon, i was singing along Edwyn Collins smash hit “A girl like you” in my car and was wondering when it would be released on the Store !!! You read my mind or what ?? ;)
Have you solved the problem with Franz Ferdinand’s track “No u girl”, coz when you released it, you said it wouldn’t be available in SCEA territories. France, where I live, is a SCEE territory, not a SCEA territory and yet it isn’t available, how come ???
Thanks for answering me. Bye then.

Z0mbie_Plan 3 October, 2011 @ 5:12 pm   9

First time poster I feel like Nina’s getting some harsh stick here for no reason.

That is as diverse a selection of songs as it gets. It caters for a wide range of tastes stop with the flaming.

Kelly Clarkson (for the mrs honestly :)), Edwyn Collins and both offspring songs for me. Good update.

Graffin_UK 3 October, 2011 @ 5:31 pm   10

Sorry Nina, but that’s a rather disappointing selection yet again.

Nothing recent or decent. There’s so much great music out there (even by artists that are already on the SingStore), but is this the best you guys can do?

It seems the list of songs gets shorter with each update.

And, what happened to the Dance/Guitar add-ons?

Now that you’ve pretty much exhausted all of the tracks that were on the SingStar Dance disc, will we get any more content?

Nina Scherer 11 October, 2011 @ 10:31 am

Yes, I’m afraid it is.

We’re looking at more content for Dance and Guitar but I don’t know much more that that right now.

SideshowN 3 October, 2011 @ 5:38 pm   11

Glad to see more The Damned!

Evil_Dr_Z 3 October, 2011 @ 5:52 pm   12

I don’t recall Dusty doing 2 sons of a preacher man.

Mikal_Drey 3 October, 2011 @ 6:10 pm   13

hey hey

I have never understood why singstar doesn’t have a standalone app/client for the ps3.

the have a “viewer” but if they had an actual singstar client then you could buy songs and song packs personalized just for you. Sod buying a disc and swapping out all the time. That’s what I hated most about guitar hero.

I’d certainly buy in if it was a casual drop in- drop out app/client/game. What about a PSN singstar game ?

singstar0cks 3 October, 2011 @ 6:15 pm   14

Hi Nina! Can you please tell me if Back to the 80′s is going to be released in the U.S.? It’s looks awesome!

Nina Scherer 11 October, 2011 @ 10:34 am

I’m afraid it’s not looking likely that they will be releasing it over there :(

Just garbage….. as every update. Ladies & gentlemen, say hello to “BINGOSTAR”. Pecos?? Who the f__ck makes the awesome list???… a chinese donkey?? I’m sorry but I DON’T SPEAK AMERICANO. Olé olé y olé por Sony España!!

Nina Scherer 11 October, 2011 @ 10:33 am

Thank you for your brilliant feedback. That will make the list grow next time for sure.

Yodelking 3 October, 2011 @ 6:55 pm   16

Hi, Nina!

Regarding the high volume of the points counter that you didn’t think was high… Did you score over 9000? ;) hehe
The count-up gets higher and higher and ends with an explosion sound.
Instead of just make an option to make it less audible, you can make an option to turn it off completely. That’s perhaps easier?

Thanks in advance! :)

Nina Scherer 11 October, 2011 @ 10:36 am

Of course, that’s ALL I do! :) I’ll pass it on to the team and see whether it’s something they can look at soon.

I bet it snows next week :D

meako1973 3 October, 2011 @ 8:26 pm   18

This wins for me purely for one song…

The Damned – Eloise

Now, I would have preferred the Barry Ryan version, but it is one of my favourite songs of all time. Even named our daughter Eloise because of it. Throw in Edwyn, Dusty, and Offspring…and this is a nice update.

meako1973 3 October, 2011 @ 8:29 pm   19

I would also like to echo what Mikal_Drey said regarding a standalone DLC version of Singstar. Even if it was budget priced for the client, then you build your tracks via DLC (kind of like how Harmonix did for the PSP version of RockBand).

RespawnAtDawn 3 October, 2011 @ 10:17 pm   20

Nipples?!?!

CoolRichy007UK 3 October, 2011 @ 10:31 pm   21

RespawnAtDawn if singstar had nipples all the songs would be harder LMAO

invading_space 4 October, 2011 @ 3:06 am   22

REO Speedwagon highlight of the update, great song!

Bumblebee 4 October, 2011 @ 10:00 am   23

Nothing for me in this update.

I’m still going to request “Babies” by Pulp though. More 90s indie in general would be great. Those bands can’t be demanding too much in the way of royalties, surely? I’d love to see some tracks by The Charlatans on there, for example. “One To Another” or “Just When You’re Thinking Things Over”. Please be considering these!

Mr_Writer 4 October, 2011 @ 11:39 am   24

The communication from the team is thining out again, you expect us to buy you product, but yet you charge us more, recycle songs, and don’t properly reply to the very people who keep you’re game going.

The updates are now smaller, no dance add on’s, no guitar add on’s, hardly any song packs. I have had to delete all my dlc (over 900 songs!) because the dance add on basicly bricked my game (I couldnt play ANY song in two player!) yet we have no response. The facebook group is hardly updated or responded to, and again this blog, 2 posts….

I am not complaing about the content (I never have) however the updates which were once 20/25 songs strong are now 7/8.

Nina Scherer 11 October, 2011 @ 11:03 am

I try and get back to as many people as I can so sorry if you feel you didn’t hear anything and shall also pass on you comments tabout the Facebook page to the appropriate people.

We’re aware of the issue with the dance add-ons and are looking into it with our collegues from PSN. Until we have got to the bottom of this we probably won’t be releaseing any more add-ons to avoid more of you having problems going forward.

The music industy works in mysterious ways and ‘getting’ songs is not as easy as it might sound. Otherwise we’d probably have every song you guys (and us) have ever wanted on here, right? :)

All I can say over and over is that we do our best every day to get more tracks, whether you believe it or not. Don’t forget that we also already have over 2,500 available which, at least in my book, is a pretty good selection.

Hope this helps a bit.

Thanks,

Ninax

AnthonyDwyer 4 October, 2011 @ 2:16 pm   25

Over the few years Sing star has deteriorated in a big way, the updates have been so poor when I have got a song lately they have been from updates prior to 2009. I feel the Sing Star team have dropped the ball. I have literally gone from spending 5 or 6 pound per update to not buying anything for months at a time, Sing Star needs some love, not from its community, but from its developers, give us something worthwhile instead of 80s pop songs that where to be honest bad in the 80s.

AnthonyDwyer 4 October, 2011 @ 2:18 pm   26

P.S. Get some Tenacious D on the Sing Store, Jack B and Kyle would love the idea tbh as they want their rock to be heard by the masses :P

BloodyAndrew 4 October, 2011 @ 4:25 pm   27

Now that PS2 classics are confirmed to arrive for PS3 download, will we see some SingStar from PS2 to download?

Graffin_UK 4 October, 2011 @ 6:49 pm   28

Well put Mr_Writer.

The UK VIP Lounge on Facebook has been left for dead.

The SingStar Viewer is STILL broken, it STILL causes the PS3 to beep 3 times and shutdown if you quit using the XMB. The current patch caused problems within the game and I had to re-download about 38 of my 252 songs. Wasn’t the patch meant to allow for simultaneous guitar and dance play? What’s the point of that when they’ve ceased releasing add-ons? Will they ever fix the bugs in the current patch (and test it properly this time)?

I’ve supported the game from day one on the PS3 (when the fortnightly updates had 20+ songs and songpacks), but since 2010, the selection and support for SingStar has been pitiful.

ObroniGuy 4 October, 2011 @ 11:30 pm   29

I tend to agree with some of the posts here, Singstar needs some TLC (and I don’t mean the band, although that would be a start because I’ve heard of them).

While this update IS better than the last, it’s still pitiful & completely mocks the potential of the game. My advice to the development team is to just work on getting all the former PS2 games re-released, mixed with some new releases.

Also, reduce your carbon footprint by releasing songs in the store for download, not on discs – that is archaic PS2 technology of buying disc after disc for perhaps 5-10 songs you really want and the rest being ring-ins does suck.

I presume your market research tells you that you do a decent release, and business picks up. And you clearly have a channel open to the tracks of Dire Straits, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson – so why we get substandard releases is truly bizarre.

I mean, right now, with the song being so popular, you should be on an all-out assault to get that Adele song that is an instant classic, and you already have a release of hers in the store now, so unless the studios are major mugs, they should be pulling out all stops to market it on a medium like Singstar.

Nina Scherer 11 October, 2011 @ 11:06 am

‘And you clearly have a channel open to the tracks of Dire Straits, Johnny Cash, Elvis Presley, Michael Jackson…’ – and that would be?

ObroniGuy 4 October, 2011 @ 11:38 pm   30

(Cont’d)

I felt Singstar totally dropped the ball on Michael Jackson – I am very surprised that since his death, we haven’t seen any of his solo stuff in store, and you can only get Billy Jean if you buy a disc that for me only has the Faecal (sic) Sharkey track on it, and the rest of the disc is of no consequence to me.

But, two songs I would download immediately IF they made it to the store. I detest Guns & Roses, a truly dreadful band in my opinion, but I know that to release them for example, would be a major coup, despite my life-long position that they have massacred every song they have covered.

If it is a matter of the studios being blase about the whole thing, I can’t imagine why – if they don’t see the massive potential of Singstar, they are blind.

Graffin_UK 5 October, 2011 @ 8:19 am   31

While it’d be great to have the remaining songs that were on PS2 discs available on the SingStore, i’d only buy a handful of my favourites since i’ve already bought all the PS2 and PS3 discs that are available.

I get annoyed when they (London Studios) get lazy by releasing nothing but tracks from PS2/PS3 discs along with a few obscure titles.

I also get annoyed when they release updates/patches that haven’t been tested properly and cause songs to disappear or affect the stability of the game.

If you’re going to release discs, then release them with exclusive, uncensored content that will never hit the SingStore, and a set of new trophies wouldn’t hurt either as it’d give players an extra incentive to buy the discs and to play the game longer.

Graffin_UK 5 October, 2011 @ 8:35 am   32

The forthcoming back to the 80s disc is equally disappointing. Why bother putting songs on there that already feature on the SingStore?

Whilst on the subject of discs, remember when they used to put effort into the opening sequences of the games? Now they’re nothing more than a different wallpaper.

SingStar needs something like Rock Band’s RBN, where artists can submit their music videos and have them featured in the game.

And yeah, it amazes me too how they never tried to get songs that us players keep asking for, like Michael Jackson (even though i’m not a fan) or songs from Glee. Glee is huge, their songs have made it onto the Wii (Karaoke Revolution) and even the iPhone (Tap Tap Glee), yet Sony/London Studios can’t seem to get their songs…

Are they really trying???

Nina Scherer 11 October, 2011 @ 11:09 am

‘They blame licensing, but you’d think record companies and artists would love to have their music promoted wouldn’t you?’ – Mhh, yes, you would, wouldn’t you? And then you start working in the music industry and you slowly but surely will start to understand that it’s just not how it works.

RKO_JPL7 5 October, 2011 @ 2:49 pm   33

@Graffin_UK well some people don’t have access to the singstore to it’s understandable to release some of the songs from the Singstore onto disc. I think the reason why Michael Jackson’s music hasn’t been on Singstar is because of Ubisoft’s Michael Jackson The Experience.

FunFontaine 7 October, 2011 @ 11:09 am   34

I agree with all the comments above.

The fact the community speaks so strongly about this game shows how much love they have for it.

Its a shame it is dying, but its been this way for 12 months now, and theres little evidence the decline will be reversed by London Studios.

Record companies will only provide their songs if theres money in it for them. Thats the problem here. I believe London Studios does not have the money to buy the big songs. They get cheaper, less known tracks, and hope that will suffice our craving for new music. Trying to keep a product alive for a little longer when everyone knows its in a coma and has only a short amount of time before it dies and will no longer be supported.

I think we have to face the fact Singstar is dying and turn our attentions to other companies, who have have the finances to invest in their products. Look at Apple – the iCloud, music streaming, gaming, its wonderful to watch. Thats where my focus (AND MONEY) will now go.

Thank you for the memories Singstar and RIP.

mpmaniac85 7 October, 2011 @ 5:31 pm   35

@Graffin_UK (Comment #32).

You are totally in the wrong on this one, buddy.

The Back to the 80′s disc features nearly ALL new content that has not been featured on the SingStore. Maybe, MAYBE, three to four of the songs have been featured on the Singstore, but the majority of these tracks are solid, welcome additions to most anyone’s library. (Heart’s ‘Alone’? George Michael’s ‘Faith? YES AND YES!)

I think you may have seen an earlier, incorrect songlist. The complete, official tracklist, found here: http://www.singstar.com/news/Back-To-The-80s.html, swiftly puts to bed any idea that these are recycled from the Singstore.

Again, a maximum of three of these songs have been seen before in Singstar. So, please check your facts before making such statements.

AVengerROcks 8 October, 2011 @ 12:47 pm   36

The Damned, Eloise is one of my favourite songs. When I went to download it the video was the rubbish animation effects and no real video of the band playing. I was soooooooooo disappointed I never bought it.

Nina Scherer 11 October, 2011 @ 11:13 am

They just didn’t send us the video so we made one to be able to release it for you.

windsorblue01 11 October, 2011 @ 10:41 am   37

any chance of more savage garden and a song call beds are burning by midnight oil

AVengerROcks 27 October, 2011 @ 3:55 pm   38

Nina

Any chance of asking them for the video and re doing it. I really hate animation effects. I want to see the band im trying to be, and this song is too good not to be done properly :D