Posted 5 October

GT5 Functionality Update 2.0

GT5_2.0_OpeningMovie

Hello Gran Turismo fans,

When Gran Turismo 5 launched almost a year ago now, Kazunori Yamauchi, the game’s creator, promised fans clutching their copies of the Real Driving Simulator, that the launch of the eagerly awaited title was not the end of the journey for the game but the start.

True to that statement, since GT5 launched Yamauchi-san and the Polyphony team have been closely monitoring the feedback of the dedicated and discerning GT5 community.  As a result of this, we have seen significant support for GT5 in the form of regular functionality updates.

Today, I am very pleased to announce details of Functionality Update 2.0 which is the most sizable since the game launched. The update will be available for download on the 11th October. Of course the real bonus of all of this new content is the fact that it’s all absolutely free!

Here’s the rundown on what you can expect to see in the update.

Firstly all ‘standard’ cars will now feature an interior view, the level of detail will vary from car to car, but now for the first time you will be able to literally get behind the wheel of all the cars in the game.

GT5_2.0_InteriorView1

GT5_2.0_InteriorView3GT5_2.0_InteriorView2

For fans of the stateside motoring championship NASCAR, there is a package of 11 NASCAR 2011 cars.  There has also been improvement to the weather settings in the game and now players can incrementally adjust weather settings for race start and race end.

GT5_2.0_WeatherChange

Additional features of this update are:

• Photo Travel Mode updates
  • Shortening of load times and improved menu response
  • Improved car physics simulation, further evolved A.I.
  • Improved and enhanced user interface
  • Support for the Logitech G25/G27 steering wheels
  • New features in the Online Lounge

This is what series creator Kazunori Yamauchi had to say about the new content.

GT5_2.0_PhotoTravel_Avator

The coming Gran Turismo 5 Spec 2 update is an update that contains the feedback from the users playing GT5 online every day. We have added cars such as the newest NASCAR race cars, but many of the updates are those that improve usability and expand the field of game play. I believed from the initial release of Gran Turismo 5 that it would be the users that would make the game grow thereafter, and we added things like interior views for the standard models because there was a lot of request for it from our users. You could say that this update is the shape and form of GT5 that was created through the opinions of our fans.

GT5_2.0_NASCAR

As if this massive update was not enough, I can also advise you of more great news – very shortly we will be sharing with you details of a forthcoming package of exciting DLC for GT5 that will include new vehicles and tracks plus a host of other additional new content.   The news will be incoming to PlayStation Blog and gran-turismo.com very soon so keep your ear to the ground.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

114 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first

sephiroth180 5 October, 2011 @ 4:03 pm   1

Sweet! Will be hoping for some additional courses and such as well :)

dimososir 5 October, 2011 @ 4:04 pm   2

Sweet

AaronSOLDIER 5 October, 2011 @ 4:04 pm   3

Any chance some standards will be updated to premiums over time? Or more premiums added

this is very sweet thanks for making all the cars have the behind wheel view i love gt5 and is a game i play all the time you guys have my support keep up the good work =]

Awesome.

“Next is the great news that players can now save their progress during endurance races and return to the fray at a time of their own choosing.”

Dunno who decided this should have been in the game 12 months ago, seeing as every piece of paper sold ith a systme or game says take a break for 15 minutes for every hour of play, and you put 24 hour races in the game.

How is that healthy for people or PS3 systems?

RemyX-1988 5 October, 2011 @ 4:06 pm   7

All Standard Cars have now a cockpit view as well? Awesome! I’d love to play this game again! But sadly, I have to wait for my PS3 to get back from repairs… :(

Dunno who decided this shouldn’t have been in the game 12 months ago, seeing as every piece of paper sold ith a systme or game says take a break for 15 minutes for every hour of play, and you put 24 hour races in the game.

How is that healthy for people or PS3 systems?

Kaz is the twitter GOD of the day! Excellent stuff, now i’ll do the 24h races and get the plat. :D Also nice to see G25/27 support and FFD/REW on replays…

Wonder how much better the AI will be!

RIONMAIDEN666 5 October, 2011 @ 4:07 pm   10

this sounds amazing

RIONMAIDEN666 5 October, 2011 @ 4:08 pm   11

wow this looks like a really great update. I’m a big fan of this game.

Ah, great stuff. GT5 is back!

Marrsterhausen 5 October, 2011 @ 4:09 pm   13

Sounds good & long overdue. Any news if the blocky/pixelated shadows have been fixed too?

OMG OMG can’t wait to get back to GT5 :D

When you say “most sizeable”, how big in GB will this be?

niall077 5 October, 2011 @ 4:12 pm   16

great update but will you be fixing the follow camera / chase camera?

its so stiff in GT5 that its practically unusable. I would love to see a option to switch between the default stiff GT5 camera and a more loose camera like every other racing game on the market.

An update is always nice, but can a casual mode be added in the future?

The game is too difficult for me :(

Catkiller1 5 October, 2011 @ 4:15 pm   18

Fantastic!

Time to purchase GT5 again ;)

Penrose Tackie 5 October, 2011 @ 4:18 pm

Catkiller if you don’t have a copy it’s now gone to Platinum so even more reason to get yourself one!

RemyX-1988 5 October, 2011 @ 4:17 pm   19

@Yeroon,
Keep playing. You’ll get the hang of it! Trust me.

EXCELLENT! ! ! :P
Only 1 thing is a shame is that all cars in GT5 are not premium cars :-(

antikewl 5 October, 2011 @ 4:17 pm   21

@Yeroon Try going for the licenses. Practice makes perfect! :)

Bjarno86 5 October, 2011 @ 4:18 pm   22

Any chance of a load of new events among the DLC?

Penrose Tackie 5 October, 2011 @ 4:24 pm

Bjarno86 there will be some new in-game events during October so keep an eye out for news!

The Polyphony team deserve alot of praise, still showing their passion for this game by supporting and evolving GT5 with updates.

Catkiller1 5 October, 2011 @ 4:20 pm   24

@ Penrose Tackle

Yes i’m aware, as I traded it before the price dropped on the Platinum version, so I could make a little bit more back on my in store credit. I received £22 credit at the time & can now purchase it for £12 ;)

niall077 5 October, 2011 @ 4:22 pm   25

oh and Will the new DLC tracks also include new A spec races on those tracks?

Why cant developers when they release the platinum editions include all the patches on disc? it would save me allot on my download limit. and put less pressure on the devs servers.

but otherwise great update ;)

SleazyC69 5 October, 2011 @ 4:24 pm   27

amazing about in car view. some people with platinum trophy may be a bit annoyed by the in race save though. nevermind. can’t wait to be able to use my lotus carlton properly! bet ariel atom V8 is on dlc. and maybe spa. should have bathurst IMO or cadwell lol

First thing I’m gonna do is to drive the Indy 500 with the Mazda Furai with indoor view. Love that car. Lots of great updates in this Spec 2 update. Looking forward to hear what the DLC will include.

Super_Snake87 5 October, 2011 @ 4:26 pm   29

amazing bit of news..like Kaz said, “This is only the beginning for GT5′”. Well not the exact same words, but you get the idea. Keep up the good work PD

Penrose Tackie 5 October, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

Thanks Super_Snaker87, I know that the team will be very encouraged by the response to the news of the update!

skells22 5 October, 2011 @ 4:29 pm   30

thankyou for the update on this, back i go to GT5 now knowing i can now save the long races.

Fyshokid 5 October, 2011 @ 4:31 pm   31

Awesome update! It’s nice that the G27 is now officially supported, and I’m also a sucker for opening movies, so I’ll be looking forward to that.

Also, are those new RM cars I spot in the first screenshot? The RX7 looks hot.

Opt1mus76 5 October, 2011 @ 4:31 pm   32

How big is update? I lost loads of data (I’d reached lvl 36 A-spec and lvl 40 B-spec) when PS3 packed up during PSN outage and cloud save was back down 5-10 levels and not sure I can be bothered to go through it again.
Who’s incredibly stupid idea was 24hr real-time events with no save system? I hold GT5 responsible for my PS3 dying because it gave up during night when I couldn’t monitor its temperature and it cost me £130 for a refurb through Sony. Why doesn’t it have time lapse so we could do 24 hour races in maybe 8hrs or split the A-spec events with B-spec drivers so we only do 8hrs of the 24 like real le mans racers
Rant over :)

Calcifer 5 October, 2011 @ 4:37 pm   33

@Penrose: Are proper online time trials (like GT5P) are part of the new online lounge features?

Kenshin71 5 October, 2011 @ 4:37 pm   34

Why doesn’t PD still have a community manager? Does anyone bother to ask Kaz this question? The update is nice but most of the stuff should have been in the game on release. Had they been interacting with fans from the beginning the game wouldn’t have turned out such a disappointment, with its ugly standard cars missing interior view, mind numbingly stupid UI navigation, embarrassing reused PS2 assets, poorly implemented crash damage, the list goes on. Can someone with a Twitter account ask Kaz or Shuhei Yoshida why PD does not have a community manager and tell him to hire one pronto?

CoolRichy007UK 5 October, 2011 @ 4:39 pm   35

will u add dlc so we can buy all the cars or a unlok mode

Late but great it seems. Sadly the major reason why I didn’t buy this game yet, still exists: The lack of western cars, especially germans.

I don’t know how a game can claim to represent the pinnacle of simulations and then only offer tons of japanese cars. And we all know how boring the majority of japanese cars are.

RedBullRacer 5 October, 2011 @ 4:42 pm   37

Fantastic!!! All we need now is GT5 added to the PSN store, played the game pretty much every day since day one so would be nice to have it playable off the HDD to stop disk swapping!

biggo0224 5 October, 2011 @ 4:42 pm   38

wait for a looooooooong time~~~

THIS EPIC , cant Wait !!!

MUSTANG750R 5 October, 2011 @ 4:47 pm   40

@Kenshin71 Dude/Dudette, most of these new features are based on what fans have ask of PD. They only have a staff of about 150 (Last time I heard) so it takes time to get things right.

As for me, I could care less how many times they update the game. As long as its still fun I’ll continue to play GT5 and support PD & SONY.

hi i would like to know if this game supports visual customisation like body kits or spoilers etc. the graphics look awesome tho :)

JonnyPauz 5 October, 2011 @ 4:50 pm   42

looks like its time to dust of GT5 and the driving force GT wheel, very good work, way to spark my interest again :)

Opt1mus76 5 October, 2011 @ 4:51 pm   43

On a slightly more constructive note, will there be an increase in the number of cars that can have Race Modification. Less than 2% have the option which is ridiculous compared to GT1 where every car could be Race Modified. Forza has so much more depth (custom paints/graphics and huge scope for modification) but lacks the gameplay of GT5. Even simplest things like being able to pick a paint colour freely from a colour wheel instead of earning the colour through car purchase. Go into a paint shop and you can make any colour, go on GT5 and you can only pick a colour if you own it

polynski 5 October, 2011 @ 5:02 pm   44

boom boom boom now let me hear you say wayo

Thunderlizzard 5 October, 2011 @ 5:03 pm   45

This started off sounding quite good, ooh interiors, but then…still on the old hugely (sub)standard car models (like they were ever going to upgrade those) and then it just got more “meh” from there.

As a massive fan of the series up to (and including) GT4, 5 was just as massive a disappointment. Some of it is undeniably awesome but far too much of it is just poorly implemented or just a blatant port from the PS2. Such a shame.

And releasing this patch on the day Forza 4 ships (in the US at least)…shame on you Polyphony!

xx_Tooms109_xx 5 October, 2011 @ 5:06 pm   46

Bought this a couple of weeks ago (platinum).

Was all ready for weeks of time attack pleasure – But to my amazement,there is no online leaderboards at all.For such a game not to have this basic requirement in 2011 is laughable.

This is one of the main reasons ive hardly touched it – is there any chance of GT5 getting leaderboards any time soon?.

A quick search of google,shows many people have complained about this.

GTP_j8mie 5 October, 2011 @ 5:09 pm   47

I still think GT5 falls short of my expectations, even with this update. however it is nice that PD are looking to improve the game, over a year after it’s release, and free of charge.

Please keep these coming.

I’ll be interested to see what the DLC is, especially the “track pack”.

SpeedyOLLY 5 October, 2011 @ 5:13 pm   48

AWESOMES! omg omg omg I love you lol thanks :D

FerrariThugs 5 October, 2011 @ 5:20 pm   49

WOW. WOW. WOW!

PLAYSTATION! IT’S THINGS LIKE THIS THAT CAUSE ME TO LOVE YOU ALL SO MUCH!
THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU!

Please announce the DLC’s soon. I’m getting a bit impatient.

Penrose Tackie 5 October, 2011 @ 5:38 pm

Hey FerrariThugs love the positive feedback, news on DLC is coming very soon!

tomren30 5 October, 2011 @ 5:23 pm   50

This is really awesome!!! Thanks to Kazu San and his team. It is like “new” game coming! THANK YOU

Load all