Posted 4:00pm

Assassin’s Creed Revelations: Your Questions Answered

Assassin's Creed Revelations Arsenal_EzioProtectingCitizensFromJanissaries

Recently, Ubisoft invited us to sample the first few hours of Assassin’s Creed Revelations for PS3. I learned a lot during that play session:

• The control scheme has been revised, pushing Eagle Vision to L3. This frees up the Triangle button for secondary weapons such as daggers.
  • Altair comes into play via flashbacks following the thrilling Masyaf key retrieval missions, which are the successors to Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood’s Lairs of Romulus.
  • The game map now has a Google Maps-style satellite view that I enjoyed while skipping around the sprawling city of Constantinople/Istanbul.
  • The Den Defense mission brought tower defense-style sequences that are completely unlike anything I’ve seen in the Assassin’s Creed universe.
  • I saw someone actually *use* the Apple of Eden.
  • I noticed some different UI in the Animus, and started to wonder why the interface was different (and no, Ubisoft wouldn’t tell me).
  • I saw Ezio stab a dude with a guitar – I think they called them “lutes” back then.

And I saw it all in 3D – those leaps of faith are now even more impressive. But it’s not about what I wanted to see; I went in to Ubisoft aiming to get answers to some of your questions. Read on to learn more about the dangerous world of Assassin’s Creed Revelations.

Will Ezio need some prune juice when he eats… because he is about 60 years old? (via @BeyondJizzy26)

While it’s true that our Ezio Auditore da Firenze now looks like The Most Interesting Man in the World, with experience comes wisdom. Early on in Revelations, Ezio is introduced to the hookblade, which enhances Ezio’s parkour skills in a couple of notable ways. When leaping into the air, you can hold down the Circle button to project the hookblade, giving Ezio an extra bit of reach. I adjusted to the move pretty quickly, and experienced noticeably fewer trip-ups while running across rooftops. It also grants compatibility with ziplines, which medieval Constantinople was apparently rife with. And what good would ziplines be if you couldn’t launch assassinations from them? Of course you can.

Assassin's Creed Revelations Constantinople_ZiplineWithYusuf

The hookblade is also battle-ready – the new Hook and Run move allows you to vault over enemies like a 70s action star slides across the hood of a car.

Hookblade aside, I noticed a new leg sweep move (Johnny would be proud), and a chest stomp that wouldn’t be out of place in the WWE. All of this is on top of the impressive arsenal of tricks Ezio earned in previous games, like double assassinations, disposable parachutes, an arm-mounted rifle and more. Would that we were all this spry in our 50s.

Is the super-cool feature where you can call assassins out of nowhere to attack still in the game? (via @francisganzo)

Yes, Ezio still can call in fellow assassins to create a diversion or to get him out of a jam. The feature has been upgraded for Revelations; you still recruit new assassins and send them around the Mediterranean on missions to level them up. When you level up one of your killers to the level of “Master Assassin,” you can assign him to protect one of your dens, preventing further Byzantine attacks.

There are also new challenges associated with these moves which yield tangible benefits. For instance, using your arrow storm and calling in your assassins a set amount of times will reward you with a faster recharging assassin signal, allowing you to use them more often. Similar challenges also applies to bomb usage and the various guilds, encouraging their use.

Assassin's Creed Revelations ForumOfOx

How many new weapons have been added to the game? Or are there new upgrades to it? (via @Allelujah00)

The aforementioned hookblade is the main difference, but the addition of bombs can change the way you play as well. I’ll be honest, after seeing Revelations demoed at E3, I was a bit worried that Assassin’s Creed was turning into a third-person shooter, but after my hands-on session those fears have been allayed.

Ezio’s bombs come in three flavors: lethal, tactical, and diversion. By combining different shells (impact, tripwire, sticky), actions (explosion, stinkbomb, smokebomb), and explosion radius, you can use bombs to perform a wide variety of actions. You could tag a guard with a stinkbomb to repel people, disappear in a huge puff of smoke, or just chuck explosives into a crowd for some good ol’ high-impact killing. You can only hold three of each type of bomb at any given time, so don’t expect to blast your way out of situations by chucking ‘nades.

Trophy list?! (via @max01payne and many others)

I took a peek at the Trophy list, and it’s got a similar mix as Assassin’s Creed Brotherhood. Some Trophies awarded for multiplayer success, and many are for single player, both for advancing the story and for performing certain skill actions, plus a range of completionist stuff. If I had to guess, this won’t be an easy game to Platinum.

Assassin's Creed Revelations Masyaf_MariaThorpe&Altair

Will we see Leonardo DaVinci? (via @Dean147)
I looked on the map for you, but didn’t see his icon as in past games. However, it seems that Da Vinci did do some consulting work for the sultan, so fingers crossed.

Is the PS3 version getting exclusive missions like last year? (via @snowman2149)

Assassin’s Creed Revelations hits PS3 on November 15th. Look for more here on the Blog in the leadup between now and then.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

35 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
Immortal-Wolf- 12 October, 2011 @ 4:06 pm   1

ACR sorry is dull game to me i played first AC got bord in 20 mins playing it.

Well Immortal-Wolf-, AC1 is the most boring of the AC games released so far, mainly cause it was getting repetative really quickly. I personally didn’t have the same issue with the other ones. But to each their own :) Just wanted to let you know that you might find the other games much better.

Though with that being said, I prefered Altair over Ezio, and is happy that this is the last game Ezio will take part in.

Ugh, sorry for double post, but thanks for the post :D I liked reading it and it’s nice to see that there are new stuff added to this one aswell and not just the same :)

FurryFreak 12 October, 2011 @ 4:20 pm   4

If you’ve only played some of the first AC, then you can’t really conclude that the entire series is dull. The 2nd game vastly improved on the originals design, as did Brotherhood, and I’m expecting no less of Revelations.

Try playing AC2 and/or Brotherhood, and if you don’t like them then feel free to have a more informed opinion about the series; but until then, please don’t label the series based on 20 mins of gameplay of the weakest of the AC games.

ac has came along way since ac so wolf that statement is incorrect.

also id rather have a mission than a whole game, as a huge ac fan i already own ac, so some missions would be nice.

Catkiller1 12 October, 2011 @ 4:26 pm   6

@ Immortal-Wolf-

I agree the first was monotonous to say the least! I gave up on that title too, but Assassins Creed 2 was enjoyable & you can pick it up for less than £10 now ;)

Immortal-Wolf- 12 October, 2011 @ 4:32 pm   7

funny as your not understanding the AC games all the same story same game play same graphics same time frame AC is like POKEMON watch 100 episodes of POKEMON in a row then your feel like being sick.

Did you just say that you can play ACR in 3D? :)

Assassin’s Creed 1 combat was more satisfying for me since you had to perform combo attack by yourself.
In AC 2 instead combat was too easy for me to enjoy: I spent the last fight with the boss performing non stop counters for more than 2 minutes…not challenging at all!

Juhal_1234 12 October, 2011 @ 4:41 pm   10

i know i posted on usa blog but

add speach for guards like “infidel you will die”

for old times sake

When you say they are using the extra space on blu-ray to chuck in the first Assassins Creed game, is it coming on the disc to play using the disc, or to copy it to your hard drive?

Or is it indeed just a voucher to download a copy off the psn store?

I fear Immortal Wolf is playing the troll card, or is just a tiny bit too young to play 18+ games ;)

Pleeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeease patch AC1 with trophies!

Woooohooo I can’t wait for this !!!

Suhail3728 12 October, 2011 @ 5:04 pm   15

I wanted to play the original game.Now i get it with the revelations. Wow thats great.

sleep all and play games all night sk remix:)

Dante_Zero 12 October, 2011 @ 6:00 pm   17

i’m really looking forward to this but urgh multiplayer trophys? i wish AC would stop adding a tacked on multiplayer mode.

@Immortal-Wolf
Watch 100 episodes of anything in a row and you’ll feel sick.
But really, you’re missing out. Every sequel following the first AC has much improved story, voices and especially game mechanics. Your loss man.

This game is shaping up to be one big star. If it isn’t at least nominated for GOTY I’ll be very surprised.

I can’t wait for this game. Pity I have to wait until Christmas to play it. :(

I love the idea of AC being included but if it had trophies it would give me incentive to play it again before even touching Revelation as it has been 4 years since I played it.

RedPriestRezo 12 October, 2011 @ 7:21 pm   20

>>Exclusive missions? Try a whole game! Ubisoft is taking advantage of the extra space afforded by Blu-ray to gift you the entire original Assassin’s Creed as a free added bonus!

It would be a good thing if we haven’t complited AC long time ago. Otherwise I think everybody would prefer some exclusive NEW things. But, oh well.

chrisandsheva 12 October, 2011 @ 7:40 pm   21

@post10 m8 haven’t you seen the statement at beginning of AC games about it bieng a multicultural venture etc etc no way they would put that word in one of their bias less cultural/religious games,.. you do know what that word really means and implies don’t you,?…… allthough if there was a similar catholic/christian alternative i’d bet my family’s lives that they’d have no ‘issues’ including that,….. apart from that laughable multicultural no offense intended to anyone etc etc i loved AC2 and Brotherhood, until i seen i wasn’t going to be using the multiplayer deformity!.. but i may finish the (Brotherhoods) story mode one day,,……..ps would of allready if i hadn’t of lost over 20hrs of progress due to my own stupidity, not backing up the savefile etc,… if i could of asked a question it would of been ..why not make a real truer multi for this game,?

NightWolf1396 12 October, 2011 @ 8:38 pm   22

I’d like to have AC 3 next year with only Desmond Miles, it would be awesome, altough ezio is a great character

ShadowGandalf 12 October, 2011 @ 8:47 pm   23

AC1 – Not bad, enjoyable but eventually repetitive.
AC2 – Huge improvement, great story
ACB – Pretty much same as AC2, getting bored now
ACB MP – Terrible. (for me anyway, i know some liked it)
ACR – No longer interested

I’m slightly interested to know how the story turns out (Desmonds story mostly) but not enough to want to buy ACR. I’ll read it up on Wikipedia or something.

So, this is me, officially leaving the world of Assassins Creed behind. I hope all those who are still interested enjoy it.

preorded a long time ago :)

fatalgearsoid 12 October, 2011 @ 10:59 pm   25

Great Ubisoft … Thanks for thr full game :)

They would most definitely make a killing if they give trophies for AC1.

My name in greek translates as priest from Constantinople. This priest is well looking forward to tracing the steps of my fore-fathers in Constantinopolis…

As for comment number 1, i don’t know what you found boring in only 20 mins of gameplay in AC. 20 minutes is hardly ample time to judge the whole of that game. it has many interesting features. I love the countryside that connects up all the cities. maybe you should give it a bit longer and see if you like it after getting a little bit farther into the game. For myself I’m hunting down a copy of the CE of Assassin’s Creed with the Altair figurine.
What I find tedious is the multi-player in the later games. Watching others get your kills or not being able to defend in time because of latency issues is disheartening and unfair. I tried it, but couldn’t stomach the continual lag…(

Please rethink the mp trophys they are a waste of time and annoying I would’ve platted acb if it wasn’t for the tacked on mp mode

A_Nonny_Moose 13 October, 2011 @ 8:43 am   29

“The Den Defense mission brought tower defense-style sequences that are completely unlike anything I’ve seen in the Assassin’s Creed universe.”

Oh God! More management nonsense that will inevitably link in with some worthless facebook or iOS game.

More of the same with a little update and mp that needs a code.
This series is getting old very fast so I´ll pick it up in a few months when it´s in the budget bin.

Immortal-Wolf- 13 October, 2011 @ 5:06 pm   31

@yarnboy
Sorry to disappoint you im Immortal-Wolf- EL73 Elite age 25 sponsored by Activision.
Black Ops favourite weapon CZ75 with 4.000 kills 25.08% accuracy
im already recognise Immortal-Wolf- famous professional player at all Call of Duty games reason Activision sponsored me and signed me to EL73 Elite on 27th may 2011

VictorAnalogy 13 October, 2011 @ 5:26 pm   32

I’m playing “PS Blog”. Want to join in?

For every grammatical/spelling error Immortal-Wolf- makes: Take a sip.

Every time Immortal-Wolf- mentions “elte”, his kills, his accuracy or his Activision sponsorship: Drink a shot.

If he does it all at once. Down your drink!

(You might want to call an ambulance in advance and book in a liver transplant).

On topic. AC games are rare in that every single one improves on the last, if they keep this up Revelations is going to blow me away!

Immortal-Wolf- 14 October, 2011 @ 6:53 am   33

@VictorAnalogy
I wouldn’t start on me if i was you! Want evidence.

Just click link. See im the real deal.

Immortal-Wolf- © 2011 Activision Publishing, Inc. Activision and Call of Duty are registered trademarks of Activision Publishing, Inc. The ratings icon is a registered trademark of the Entertainment Software Association. All other trademarks and trade names are the properties of their respective owners.

VictorAnalogy 14 October, 2011 @ 10:36 am   34

Hahaha. I love this. Seriously, you crack me up. :D

Keep on rolling Wolf you crazy, crazy man.

Immortal-Wolf- 14 October, 2011 @ 7:53 pm   35

@VictorAnalogy
Why don’t you check playstation store right now see anything that iv done ???? whats EL73 Elite who did all that ????