Posted 21 October

PixelJunk Sidescroller Coming To PSN October 26th

PixelJunk SideScroller is not far from your hands! Yes, it has kind of crept up upon us, but the release date is 2nd of November in Europe. I really can’t emphasize enough how really, really good old school fun SideScroller has turned out to be. I’m sure some of you have played the “bonus” stage in PixelJunk Shooter 2 called “The Road to Dawn”, well that is what gave us the urge to make an entire side scrolling shoot-em-up game! Back in the day I used to love games such as R-Type and Darius, and going even further back there were games such as Scramble and Defender that inspired me as a child. So… we decided to dip our toes in and see what PixelJunk could bring to the side-scroller world.

PixelJunk

We used the same engine as for the two Shooter titles, but the game itself is entirely different. To begin with this is a single-stick controlled game rather than the dual-stick control we had in Shooter, which makes it even more addictive and easy to control. And of course, you can only face to the right as you fly your craft! The only similarity really is that a handful of enemies from Shooter have been “re-imagined” for SideScroller, but to add to them we created a whole slew of new enemies and bosses for you to try to destroy also.

The back-story of the game is that SideScroller is the game the pilot of PixelJunk Shooter is playing on his old computer console in his ship on the way home to Earth after the ending of Shooter 2. This explains the cool “retro” look we have designed with the curved CRT (cathode ray tube) screen and the monochrome look of the interface. However, during its orbit of Apoxus Prime perhaps the computer has been infected.. a little?

Some people reckon PixelJunk games are a little tough, and well.. yes, they are a little because I think games should be a challenge. However, what we’ve done this time is scattered loads of checkpoints so even if you do die you’ll restart really close, and we also give you the option to downgrade your difficulty setting if you get a Game Over too. We’ve created 4 difficulty levels so everyone is catered for (I hope!).

Oh and did I mention, the bosses are AWESOME! Maybe I should mention that again…

I’ve got to head off and start finishing off PixelJunk 4am, so I’m going to leave you with this really cool trailer for SideScroller we created. Definitely check it out, because you might be able to spot one of the AWESOME bosses in there!

Remember everyone – Oct 26th!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

18 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first

Catkiller1 21 October, 2011 @ 3:08 pm   1

Can’t wait for this & please get the price right £7.99 & hopefully a Plus discount!

Still need to pick up Shooter 2!

James Gallagher 21 October, 2011 @ 4:35 pm

Hi all, I’m just popping on this post to make a clarification: the release date for PixelJunk Sidescroller is actually October 26 (yes, next week!) and I have updated the post accordingly. Apologies for the error, but I hope it makes the good news even better.

November 2nd… god why do I get the feeling something big is coming out that day?

EpicImmenseCurry 21 October, 2011 @ 3:18 pm   3

Better yet make it free for Plus subscribers :P

Lee_and_Nomi 21 October, 2011 @ 3:24 pm   4

I’ve bought all the PixelJunk games up to this point and Sidescroller will be no different. The look alone should sell most on the game but I’m sure the game will be super tight and challenging.

Hopefully you have some cool themes in the works. I loved the 3D one for Shooter 2.

Why does the trailer say “buy from oct 26th” and u say it comes nov 2nd ?

Bit weird

i second curry’s motion. ^_^

ukcrazyguy 21 October, 2011 @ 4:43 pm   7

Who wants to bet me £10 this isn’t on the store next week lol

Love all the PJ games and this looks pretty cool. Still not finished Shooter2 yet though.
But hopefully there will be a decent price and dare i say Plus discount to tempt me into a purchase!

CoolRichy008UK 21 October, 2011 @ 6:36 pm   9

its like gravity crash meets pixel junk :D

windowsmsnlipi 21 October, 2011 @ 6:51 pm   10

dont we have LBP for this kinna games ?,, lol

I wish ‘Scramble’ and ‘Defender’ were on PSN ;P (the original versions & LOADS of other old-skool arcade games to)

jakster123x 22 October, 2011 @ 1:20 am   12

Sure looks like good fun

“Some people reckon PixelJunk games are a little tough” Of course! And i am one of them! Some sections of your games are simply frustrating. I hope Sidescroller will be truly a little more simple to pley. Games should be funny first. For who are looking for a challenge there must be an apposite mode or level of difficult.

chrisandsheva 23 October, 2011 @ 8:23 am   14

don’t ‘want’ to put a dampener on things, But apart from this old school/sidescrolling or most 2d games not bieng my 1st choice of gaming… i am inclined to agree with a earlier comment, ie level creator games lbp,? and such can allow you to basically make this kind of game for free/bonus etc,.. and i am going to hate myself for saying this but on x- box there are lots, (maybe100 plus) of these type of old school type games that they give you for free.. even on silver.. i think it’s called games room or something,..And they have very similar indie or community made ones ranging from 80p to 2 pound of which many look just as good as this……. Now on a more positive note i bought/played and enjoyed shooter1, though due to the challange/lack of adaquate trophies i never got shooter2… am hoping it will be a plus offering, next year maybe,?.

come on guys stop messing about,where is PixelJunkMonster 2 ? that game was super amazing & we can’t wait for the sequel.

Ah man! So excited. Had no idea this was coming, been waiting for a r-type esque game for yearrrrrrrrrrrrs. Can’t think of a better team than Pixeljunk to make one.

THANK YOU!!!!!

TAKE MY MONEY! ALL OF IT.

Thank you!!!!!

Here take my money!

And what about Payday the Heist and Dungeon Defenders for Europe?
I really don’t care bout ALL other games…