Posted 11:30am

Sink Your Fangs Into InFAMOUS: Festival Of Blood Today

Hey all, it’s Brian Fleming from Sucker Punch. It’s been a long time since my last PlayStation Blog post, and today’s entry is a little different… I’ll start with the marketing facts (inFAMOUS: Festival of Blood available today!!!! €9.99/£7.99!! 20% discount if you are a PlayStation Plus member!!!)

But really, I thought I’d give you a little insight into why and how we ended up making a vampire based spin-off of inFamous.

For us, we’d been working for two projects and 5+ years on the main storyline of inFamous. We wanted the DLC to be a chance to take all that work (art and technology) and do something fun and different for players.

We knew we couldn’t just release some more missions or a skin pack, so we took a bunch of pitches from all the departments here at the studio for what we might do… We wanted something that fit our game, would be fun to work on, and ideally would be unexpected, too.

elite_vampire

One of the strong pitches we got was originally called “Vampire City” (a play on “Empire City” from inFamous 1). The pitch was that Zeke was trying to impress a girl with a tall tale about Cole, Vampires, and the origins of Pyre Night. There was a lot to like about this pitch, some important ones were: finally getting to add flying to inFamous, the strong “Pyre Night” set dressing we could add to New Marais, a solid supernatural basis for new powers, and of course having a launch date in the days before Halloween didn’t hurt either. So it was decided, and work began!

About the same time, we had some promising PlayStation Move prototypes running… We’d initially thought we would use move to support UGC authors–but as we progressed, we became convinced we could make the game fully playable with Move. So Move shifted to become a core gameplay feature, and our UGC team decided to tackle our next big wishlist item – “speech bubble” cutscenes. Like making narrative missions? Now you get set-up camera shots and add speech bubbles to characters!

So that’s the story behind “Festival of Blood”… We all hope you enjoy this little ‘what if’ detour in the inFamous universe… From all of us at Sucker Punch, Happy Halloween!!

P.S. I can also confirm the new cutscene tool and PlayStation Move support will appear in the main inFamous 2 game any day now!

Elite_BossRoom

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

63 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Is this a standalone game? Or DLC?

@Yeroon it’s standalone

And thanks Sony for the Plus discount! Now go update the store already… ;)

whats the au price?

TroubleMaker411 26 October, 2011 @ 11:38 am   4

Seriously.
The store update can’t come quick enough.

A halloween helping of Infamous?
What could possibly be better?

Noisepurge 26 October, 2011 @ 11:41 am   5

Hi Brian, does the Festival access my inFamous 2 save file for any data?

i need to get some monays.

Of course I’ll be picking it up, can’t wait..but was wondering…

Why no 3D?

Was this a choice? because you didn’t feel it could help the gameplay, a hardware constraint issue, time to implement or something I’ve yet to think of?

the guy said DLC in my last post i said it was a stand alone DLC,

a mini game not a Full blow game.

but I‘m glad plus getting a discount like our SCEA friends as people wasn’t sure we getting 1 or not.

but you know if this was said last week & not today people wouldn’t go on about “why we not getting a discount?”

Kudos brain still. :)

flamingcarrot 26 October, 2011 @ 11:49 am   9

Nice to see a PS+ discount, but……

Could someone please explain why the game is overpriced compared to the US?

US Price = $9.99 EU Price = €9.99

Does no-one at SCEE understand the concept of exchange rates?

so is the game coming out today or is this like payday where its a red herring

iriihutoR48 26 October, 2011 @ 11:55 am   11

@flamingcarrot games are overpriced here because in Europe we have sales taxes unlike the US.

I can’t wait for this! Looking forward to the update!

Namovaryar 26 October, 2011 @ 11:55 am   12

Hi Brian, sounds like an awesome game! Just wondering, will it just be available to AE, AU, GB, IE, NZ for now, or will it only be available to these countries? I’m in the Netherlands and would really like to get me some vampires as well :)

Raymond

Hurry up and release it then!!!!!!!!!!!

AndyBeans 26 October, 2011 @ 11:57 am   14

Cool, can’t wait to get home and test out Cole’s new nashers! >:[

when does the Europe store get updated?

Mat_Husky 26 October, 2011 @ 12:01 pm   16

I saw on the American PlayStation blog that this takes up 3.02Gb of space. There’s no way I’d be able to get that on my PS3. Is this going to be released in any kind of disk format in the future?

Chocobo115 26 October, 2011 @ 12:02 pm   17

SOLD!

Obviously ignoring Payday and Dungeon Defenders questions just by deleting comments…
Way to go SCEE ;-)

Great price!!! Already bought my psn card so i’m ready :D

JonnyPauz 26 October, 2011 @ 12:03 pm   20

awesome, I really hope the au price is not blown out too much

AndyBeans 26 October, 2011 @ 12:05 pm   21

@rathomus About 5-6pm BST :)

I3loodthirsty 26 October, 2011 @ 12:06 pm   22

really looking forward to this game shame we got to wait hours for the store to update but i know it will be worth the wait :D

SickMick_UK 26 October, 2011 @ 12:08 pm   23

Store normally updates a 3-4PM

I haven’t played InF or InF 2 fully yet does this game give the story away of the 2 games.

I3loodthirsty 26 October, 2011 @ 12:10 pm   24

@23 nah this story is a “what if” story so its not linked to the main infamous story

flamingcarrot 26 October, 2011 @ 12:14 pm   25

@iriihutoR48 – With all due respect, that is not a valid reason, and you are letting SCEE get away with a pricing error by excusing them on those grounds.

Blaming ‘sales tax’ is a nonsense. Sales tax varies wildly between States in the US, and many States charge none at all.

Other games on the PSN Store are properly translated in price, such as Okabu and Rocketbirds last week.

Okabu: US Price = $14.99 EU Price = €12.99
Rocketbirds: US Price = £11.99 EU Price = €9.99

Please could someone from SCEE explain/justify the €9.99 pricing on this game?

I3loodthirsty 26 October, 2011 @ 12:23 pm   26

its only €9.99 its not going to break the bank is it.they could of easy asked for more for the game say around €20+ so be happy your getting a great game at a great price

flamingcarrot 26 October, 2011 @ 12:29 pm   27

It is easy to say “It’s only €9.99″, but where do you draw the line?

I have been noting the prices of PSN games going steadily up over the last couple of years anyway, and if we accept this false £1 = €1 translation, then the trend will only become worse on our side of the Atlantic.

Querdenker 26 October, 2011 @ 12:33 pm   28

@flamingcarrot

Licensing and localization for the EU region certainly are factors to count in. Different countries mean different languages, different currencies, and different laws (concerning licensing).

I3loodthirsty 26 October, 2011 @ 12:37 pm   29

@flamingcarrot well put it this way if you thing its to much dont buy it no one is forcing you to buy it.

i know they will get plenty of sales eather way as most others can see what a bargain it is for a great game

homer_snake 26 October, 2011 @ 12:39 pm   30

what about required hdd space?

greekgoddj 26 October, 2011 @ 12:40 pm   31

$10.00 = £6.25
£6.25 + 20% VAT = £7.50

What are you charging an extra £2.50(25%) for?

I3loodthirsty 26 October, 2011 @ 12:41 pm   32

@homer_snake its just over 3 gig i think

Huono_peleis 26 October, 2011 @ 12:42 pm   33

@QuerdenkerIn Finland games are very rarely localized and nobody complains. I would’t mind if germans, french, italians etc. would pay little extra for a localised version if they don’t know what “press start” means.

Actually I dont’t get it why games should be localised in countries such as Germany or Holland where people do speak and/or understand english enough. In countries like France it’s totally different situation.

Catkiller1 26 October, 2011 @ 12:52 pm   34

We’re getting a better deal guys as €9.99 is £8.70!

I don’t think we’ll ever have an explanation on prices, as there are too many factors to consider!

@ greekgoddj

By your calculations we’re only paying 49p extra ;)

Remember to take notice of the Euro & the Pound!

I’m not bothered anyway, as it should be roughly £6.40/£6.39 with the Plus discount :)

Faustofausto 26 October, 2011 @ 12:56 pm   35

Is there any advantages, if I have an inFamous or inFamous 2 save game?

I3loodthirsty 26 October, 2011 @ 12:57 pm   36

@34 not that i know of no

THC_PRITCHARD 26 October, 2011 @ 1:01 pm   37

Sucker punch this is awesome
Please make the next soul rever

OMG this is standalone? That’s just made my day. I wanted this sooooo badly, but don’t have inFamous 2. I was actually going to buy this game JUST for this ‘DLC’.

Thank you, Suckerpunch! I will be buying this as soon as I see it on the Store today. :)

Bovrillor 26 October, 2011 @ 1:12 pm   39

Can I use the UGC features in Festival of Blood without owning Infamous2? This wasn’t answered in the last blog entry.

Phala1234 26 October, 2011 @ 1:13 pm   40

Can’t wait to get this very very soon!!!
I love inFAMOUS!!
<< Look at my avatar :D

I3loodthirsty 26 October, 2011 @ 1:18 pm   41

@37 yea its stand alone :D

Excellent looking game Brian, great timing too. This game’s gonna rock. :)

I3loodthirsty 26 October, 2011 @ 1:19 pm   43

@38 from what iv read we can use the UGC feature in this game without needing infamous 2

chrisandsheva 26 October, 2011 @ 1:21 pm   44

i suppose that others will mention this in heads up later, but since it’s been talked about here as well. i believe the US (ye yawn etc) are now basically just giving games away both for a pound or so,?.. and it seems better titles for free, on there plus, i am no expert on exchange rates but can remember the days when 1 pound got u 2 dollars, so i can’t see it bieng that different today, but to see US bieng charged 4 dollars for things were paying 4 (or more) pounds for, i just don’t see it as right, and as for added tax, well i know theres a handfull of us states that add none to games, but also they have been getting a new psn game weekly now for a good while, yesterday it was smash cars, which actually looked good fun,(tried demo) AND the added dlc virus,?…. But why,?.. we are defo just living up to the US’s ideas on us, ie were just poodles to their rotweilers attitude,.. i had nough now, i know can’t do nought about it, but this is seriously beyond a joke…. and no complaints over infamous, but these issues Need to be raised on Every blog post.

PenguinGlen 26 October, 2011 @ 1:34 pm   45

Been looking forward to this since it was announced. Loved InFamous 2 so no odubt this will be awesome. The Plus discount is very nice too. :)

chrisandsheva 26 October, 2011 @ 1:35 pm   46

about the mission creator tool from infamous2 bieng included with todays game,?.. i would be doubtfull of that, i mean if it is then whoever made infamous fob has got to start passing around the cupcakes that some nice person Must of made for them.. i mean after watching some game footage i thought no, this must be a late April fools joke ie sucker p were trying to make suckers out of us, isn’t just looking Awsome, And for 8 pound to…. so if there are ucg tools As well, then i would most probably Remain speachless for a day or so,… but if there giving us this then maybe they will Give us ability to create further missions.?

I3loodthirsty 26 October, 2011 @ 1:38 pm   47

@46 the ugc is in this new game so you dont have to doubt if its in there or not.you can even make your own cut scenes for your missions now

great looking game, great price.

we get the user created content :)

hopefully this can start a trend of vampire games(good ones)

to the whole usa pricing thing, there are more factors to take into account, company’s price games at rates that they feel there target markets can afford, for example average disc title retails at $60 and in the uk its £40, the national avarage wage in the usa is actually lower than in the uk on a $ to £ conversion so people in the usa are no better off than us in the uk at least.

example(not including income tax which both countries have)…. if someone in the usa is working in an office and getting $10 ph and works a 37.5 hr week = $310 lets say they buy 1 game at $60 that leaves $250 convert that to £ and they have £156.45.
in the uk(where i am at least) you get about ~£7 ph to work in office take the same 37.5 hr week you get £262.50 buy 1 game at £40 you have £222.50 left.

the more i look into it the more i feel we are not getting the shaft, its always been the case if you have the stronger currency then it will be cheaper to import,if thats an option for you then do it and stop complaining.

also just to add with regards to euro zone pricing, the euro is falling apart as a currency and can hardly be viewed as strong so thats the main reason things are looking so expensive in euros

example for usa should have been $375 – $60 = 315 converted to £ = £196