Posted 10:28am

Upcoming Change To PlayStation 3 And PSP Game Content On PlayStation Network

We’d like to inform you of some upcoming changes to the usage policies for PlayStation Network game content.  As of November 18, 2011, the number of devices that can be activated on one PlayStation Network account for game content purchased from the PlayStation Store will be updated.

For game content purchased after November 18, 2011, a new policy will apply and the number of devices that can be activated will be as follows:

• PS3: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PS3 systems.
  • PSP: Users will be able to play the game on up to 2 activated PSP systems.

Please note that this update will not affect game content purchased before November 18.  The PSP rights include PSP-1000/2000/3000 series as well as the PSPgo system.

PlayStation Network users are able to change the activation setting through each device, and Sony Computer Entertainment plans to provide a new PlayStation Network account management website where users will be able to deactivate particular devices attached to their PlayStation Network account via their PC.

For more details on how to activate/deactivate the devices, please read this guide or contact consumer services.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

303 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

capitales7 4 November, 2011 @ 10:34 am   1

REALLY?! No more game sharing?
Not fair…

Been waiting for this change for a looooong time! Amazed you let it carry on so long.

Kotatsu2000 4 November, 2011 @ 10:35 am   3

Ever more restrictive and unfair DRM isn’t going to win you any fans. I currently have two PS3s activated – one got the yellow light of death and is in a land fill now. There’s currently no way to deactivate it, so if my current system dies I’m out of luck.

You better hurry up with that DRM web page so we can jump through those needless, anti-consumer hoops if need be.

Shadow-King 4 November, 2011 @ 10:36 am   4

erm…………….I have 4 activated system already on my account, 2 YLOD systems and 2 Active(in the same household) where does that leave me?

Shadow-King 4 November, 2011 @ 10:37 am   5

ps3 systems*

European_Gamer 4 November, 2011 @ 10:37 am   6

What is the main reasons for this change?

HistoryBoy 4 November, 2011 @ 10:37 am   7

Will this pave way to allow multiple sign in users on one system to allow you to get trophies when playing with friends/co-op? It kinda sucks that you can’t do that.

These are great news!No more gamesharing!Plus that i can now deactivate
my profile from my dead Playstation 3.
Great work Sony :D
I cant wait for MY PSVITA!!!(lol off the topic)

It sucks that we’re losing control over things we buy in the future just because people game share.

That said, I do appreciate the PC activation controls. With any DRM system, there should always be a counterbalancing mechanism so that legitimate users aren’t screwed. On XBL you have the system license transfer, on iTunes you can reset your activations, and it’s good that a similar thing will soon be offered on PS3.

Clearly says in the post that there will be a website where you can DE ACTIVATE devices. No one needs more than 2 active systems at once.

loonytoon1982 4 November, 2011 @ 10:39 am   11

I honestly hope that you have a system in place to identify the consoles that regularly access the content when it comes to those who have more than 2 consoles activated. I had enough trouble getting Sony to deactivate 1 for me due to YLOD so hopefully this wont lead to a lot of problems for users with accounts on newer machines or broken ones.

The deactivation via PC should be useful as long as those issues are dealt with prior to this change.

Personally I’ve had 2 YLOD machines which would take up those 2 activations, understandable move due to the whole sharing issue but I really do hope it has been thought through to the fullest extent.

AvatarIII 4 November, 2011 @ 10:39 am   12

shadow-king, since it says it only affects purchases after 18/11 you should be OK since you won’t be installing games on your YLOD systems,

Catkiller1 4 November, 2011 @ 10:42 am   13

So if my PS3 stops working & I have over 100 Digital titles & I purchase another PS3, then I can only download them once more?

YOU BETTER REDUCE THE PRICE OF DIGITAL TITLES THEN!

I’m not risking paying over £10 for a title, that if 2 PS3s break, then I lose the game!

“Sony Computer Entertainment plans to provide a new PlayStation Network account management website where users will be able to deactivate particular devices attached to their PlayStation Network account via their PC.”

So we will be able to remotely deactivate a console? If that’s true, awesome. I activated a console before the limitations were fully known to us and I have been looking to deactivate it for close to 3 years. I have no way of actually accessing the original device.

solution22 4 November, 2011 @ 10:43 am   15

That really is not fair! so if you own more than 2 you have got to pay for another, come on PS we all came back to you after the hacking even tho most of us were considering moving to XBLive. Pffft

“if this means PSN titles will be cheaper, that’s good news, I’m tired of seeing full games cost £10-£20 more on PSN than as a disc version bought in a shop,”

That’s an incredibly optimistic view… and incredibly unlikely given the current trend of PSN pricing.

Catkiller1 4 November, 2011 @ 10:43 am   17

Touch wood, over the 4 years i’m only on my 2nd PS3. My first broke, due to it being the terrible 60gb version & had the dreaded YLOD!

marblepebble 4 November, 2011 @ 10:43 am   18

Is that 2 PS3s AND 2 PSPs (eg. in the case of minis?). I have one of each currently, but had been thinking of getting a second PS3 (for a different room in the house), and a Vita later. Can I deactivate individual games, so that I can use them on a different system, or do I have to deactivate the whole system and everything on it?

Jedi_Amara 4 November, 2011 @ 10:44 am   19

If I buy PS1 titles, minis or content in general that’ll play on both PSP and PS3, can I play that on two PSP systems AND two PS3 systems, or only two in a combination of the two types?

cubehouse 4 November, 2011 @ 10:44 am   20

Brilliant, glad we will soon be able to deactivate devices from the web. Had a bad time a few years ago when I kept having refurb PS3s dying on me, meaning I now have a ton of activated PS3s I cannot deactivate.

I think activated on 2 PS3s is still plenty fair. I doubt many people will want to game share beyond that. It’s usually like, one in your room and the family PS3. Fair enough.

Catkiller1 4 November, 2011 @ 10:44 am   21

Does anybody know what the policy is with XBOX?

How many times can you download a title from the XBOX store, once purchased?

Can the limit be adjusted in certain cases? For example, I have 3 PS3s that I actively use in my house, and my brother has another one I could use if I really wanted to.

Jedi_Amara 4 November, 2011 @ 10:45 am   23

Also, guess this puts paid to my plans of buying a second UMD-based PSP ಠ_ಠ If I’m not going to be able to play my content on it, no point for me.

Jedi_Amara 4 November, 2011 @ 10:46 am   24

Oh, and when the Vita comes out will that count as a PSP for the purposes of activating PSP games?

nobodygaming 4 November, 2011 @ 10:46 am   25

I honestly was lost as to WHY these changes would be made until I read ‘game sharing’ in the comments. While I was super pissed at companies like Capcom releasing single player games with always online DRM to combat it, I could just ignore those games. I have 3 devices I use in my day to day gaming life that would share PSN downloads, so limiting me to 2 is a real kick in the nuts.

I’ll certainly be looking to other services (Steam .etc) for my digital games from here on until Sony decides they don’t have to treat their honest consumers like evil software pirates.

Fantatier 4 November, 2011 @ 10:48 am   26

Bummer I have 3 PS3, one at home, one at my parents and one at my Gfs :(

steven_dutch 4 November, 2011 @ 10:48 am   27

Just a few questions.
Can I have 2 PS3 systems and 2 PSP’s activated at the same time? Or is it 1 PS3 and 1 PSP system?
Also what about PSVita, do we get 2 activations on those as well?

erbkaiser 4 November, 2011 @ 10:51 am   28

Hopefully this means that there will be no more crippled DRM games like Capcom’s Bionic Commando Rearmed. As long as the website goes up so I can unactivate my PS3 should I have to replace it, no issues with this.

people are missing the point here in relation to YLOD and broken machines. the restriction to new devices only comes into affect after the mentioned date for games purchased, therefor you wont be able to purchase games on your ylod machine, and so, ylod will not affect the number of downloads you have.

I have two ps3′s in my home..both used regularly. Buying games for use on just these two is fine.

But I also have my account on a family members ps3 and another on my m8′s. Whilst not being able to download games on those is fine, will I still be able to sign in and play other games from those machines or will I need to remove my account from those?

Catkiller1 4 November, 2011 @ 10:53 am   31

Hang on a min!

So I can still re-download my content, as long as I deactivate my old account, if my current one dies?

I can download the 5 usage policy, but only on up to 2 activated systems?

So as long as I stick to 1 or 2 then i’m okay?

What i’m trying to say is, if I own my 3rd PS3 due to 2 previous ones breaking & I deactivate 1 so I only have 2 activated, then i’m fine to re-download everything on my new PS3?

Hope it made sense? LOL ;)

#1: Not fair? I’d say it’s not fair to developers and publishers that people share games. If you wanna play it, at least support those that are making the game.

thegame1982pz 4 November, 2011 @ 10:54 am   33

Well done, full personal support to Sony

loonytoon1982 4 November, 2011 @ 10:54 am   34

Just to make things clear…

You can download the title as many times as you wish, however, the whole idea behind the system was to allow people to play games around at a friends place or on another console. However, you were to deactivate the system when finished.

While the game download would remain there, the console wouldn’t have permission to play it as the system wasn’t activated.

All this means, if you have more than 2 consoles, that you will have to deactivate one to play on another. It takes no more than 10 seconds to do it so it’s not much of an issue. A minor hindrance at worst.

GREEDY, Why have you become GREEDY!

Bumblebee 4 November, 2011 @ 10:55 am   36

If this system means we can deactivate YLoD consoles, that’s one good thing.

But does anyone remember the days when you’d get a new game and take it round a friend’s house to play with them? I miss those days. This is quite a tight move by Sony. As in, unreasonably tight-fisted. Not as in “good”.

BAD PR MOVE SONY. Who’s in charge there these days?

Pacman_Ownage 4 November, 2011 @ 10:56 am   37

As long as we can deactivate systems, I welcome this change :D. I currently use two PS3s so I’m as happy as larry ^_^

…Unless it’s leisure suite larry… can’t imagine he’s too happy as of late :3

Hogwild333 4 November, 2011 @ 10:57 am   38

I think this is a change for the better. It will stop people from abusing the system but still accommodate people with two systems. I was afraid you would limit it to one system only so Thank you Sony!

@Catkiller1

Yes that’s exactly what they wrote. When you deactivate it on one of your systems that YLOD you can then redownload & play it on a new system.

The content will only work on TWO systems at once, that doesn’t mean it has to be the SAME two systems forever (if they break that is)

If your games werent to expensive then maybe people wouldn’t game share. I mean i was looking at some games on playstation store that were like £25 or £30. And yet when i go to game or graingergames they are like £10 or £15. Also i think when things like add on content comes out and say five people who gameshare would chip in together to get them then at least sony is getting their money whereas if it were one person it may be too much and they will not get it. I thought Sony does their job for peoples entertainment and not for their wallet.

“where users will be able to deactivate particular devices attached to their PlayStation Network account via their PC.” I am glad about that. My 1st PS3 got YLOD :( So hopefully i can deactivate it? Erm i am not sure tho if that is right :D
+ i always found it strange you can give someone else your PSN games? Don’t SONY lose money doing that in the 1st place?

very good… if i can then deactivate my account from my dead console.

MissSouthampton 4 November, 2011 @ 10:59 am   43

I am pretty stuffed. I have 3 dead systems with no deactivation possible – ya know back then when they didn’t tell you and when the fatties died on ya lol

Catkiller1 4 November, 2011 @ 11:00 am   44

@ gypsiee

Thanks for your reply ;)

I understand now & I need to have some more caffeine!

Too many late nights on BF3 & Uncharted 3 has frazzled my brain slightly! lol

Opt1mus76 4 November, 2011 @ 11:01 am   45

Hang on! I have 4 PS3 (and 3 PSP) which I use (My main, one in spare room and my kids plus one at my mums for when I stay there). Now if I buy a disc I can use it on any of these but from now on I can only use what I buy off PSN on 2 of these? So I’ve paid sony over £600 (plus one which I won from sony) but I can’t use my content on all of them? What kind of way is this to treat customers? I spend loads on PSN and now I’m gonna have to decide if its value for money if I can’t have something on main,son’s and at least one other. I’ve paid for the software so why are you restricting how I use it? The prices won’t come down so this just sounds like you’re penalising me because of my loyalty to Sony’s console. If I can’t fully utilise all consoles are Sony going to give me some kind of reimbursement? Unlikely.
Along with the Payday fiasco Sony are really trying my patience now

AvatarIII 4 November, 2011 @ 11:03 am   46

perhaps it would be worth giving PS+ users 5 activated PS3s for those who need that many. just an idea.

Christ people, read the posts, before whining about Sony being greedy.

THERE WILL BE A WEBPAGE, WHERE YOU CAN DEACTIVATE DEVICES, EG. IF YOUR PS3 GETS A YLOD OR IF YOU DOWNLOAD ONE OF YOUR GAMES ON A FRIENDS PC.

This change is for the better, with the new system.
Gamesharing has NEVER been about you abusing the system to share games with your friends, it so you can download games to your own consoles and now it becomes easier with online management.

poisondarter 4 November, 2011 @ 11:06 am   48

Well this will obviously be annoying to the people who share their games with friends, but for unlucky people like me (read people who aren’t careful enough with their hardware) The new deactivation service will be great for getting rid of all those old licences for consoles you don’t even own any more. By the way, don’t share your digital games. Buy It multiple times to give Sony more money so they can make even more great games and especially put more retail releases on the PlayStation store. Preferably at lower prices that what their charging now.

MissSouthampton 4 November, 2011 @ 11:06 am   49

Hang on…Does that mean the current system I use I won’t be able to buy any new games on? It would be the 4th activated? Or does it just count for the games you downloaded. This has always confusalled me.

@ Avatar111