Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 4:00pm

What’s New In Sly Cooper: Thieves In Time?

SonyBlog02

Wow! I just realized that it has been quite a while since I have posted to the PS Blog – after the busy summer tradeshow schedule we have hunkered down to really concentrate on making Sly Cooper: Thieves in Times the best game of 2012! Now with the new year approaching fast I am back to tell you more. Over the summer I spent a lot of time showing our progress on the game and talking about how we are making sure we stay true to the core of the Sly Cooper series – but now I want to start talking about the NEW things we are bringing to Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time.

When we played the old Sly Cooper games on the PS2, we loved the stories about the Cooper clan ancestors and their various thieving abilities. Something that is really exciting and fun for Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time is that you can not only travel back in time to meet these ancestors but you will also have the ability to play as the Cooper Clan ancestors! As you proceed through the game each episode you encounter features a new time period with a new playable ancestor. Each new member of the Cooper clan has their own unique and powerful abilities that open up a whole new range of game play in the huge environments. This is one of the coolest aspects of Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time – meeting these characters, learning more about them, and then getting to experience a whole new set of kick-ass game moves and skills that you have never seen before. Each time a new character in production comes on line and is added to the game, they instantly become my new favorite character of the series!

SonyBlog01

The first ancestor we want to show off is Rioichi Cooper, the master of the Ninja Spire Landing! We were introduced to him back in the original Sly Cooper and the Thievius Raccoonus and learned about his cool Ninja ability. Now, when you get to play as Rioichi, you will see how much more powerful the original master’s techniques are. For instance, by focusing his energy Rioichi can execute his Leaping Dragon Technique and span great distances between spires.

SonyBlog04

Rioichi, it turns out, is not only an uber-Ninja but is also the inventor of sushi, his famous restaurant providing the perfect cover for a night stalking ninja thief! We really wanted to explore the character of each of Sly’s ancestors (they are all very different in both ability and personality), and this leads to some very entertaining dialogue as they meet and get to know their descendant and his crew. But of course, once Sly is united with his ancestor he becomes one of the gang, hanging out in the hideout ready to venture out for some Ninja Thieving fun at a moment’s notice.

SonyBlog03

Anyway, that’s it for now, but don’t worry, I will be back soon to talk about new characters and other cool stuff in Sly Cooper: Thieves in Time as we head towards the New Year!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

20 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
jakster123x 15 November, 2011 @ 4:15 pm   1

Looks like it’s shaping up nicely. Now I better finish and platinum Sly 3 to go along with my Sly 1 and 2 plats. XD

somethingatt 15 November, 2011 @ 4:15 pm   2

Is Insomniac having any serious input for this game?

Not that I don’t trust you guys, but for a bit of extra peace of mind :)

AugustWorldness 15 November, 2011 @ 4:20 pm   3

Where are our European Uncharted 3 Beta rewards? US folks got their already. Why havenĀ“t we got ours?

iriihutoR48 15 November, 2011 @ 4:22 pm   4

@somethingatt Why would Insomniac have any input? Sucker Punch made the original trilogy.

This game looks more and more promising and I loved the remakes of the original trilogy so I will preorder once a date for the game is set!

Looks cool, never played it, maybe I’ll get the new one.
Nice to have a break from Battlefield and CoD for some time

Stonesthrow 15 November, 2011 @ 4:31 pm   6

I loved the first Sly.. I liked the series better when it was lineair, the open world in the sequels made it less storydriven, or atleast did it with a slower tempo.. I only played the collection and I remember playing through the first in a couple of days, whereas I got sick of the open world sequel because of all the sidestuff and spending too much time in the same area..
I hope this one brings the best of both together.. The graphics look awesome.

somethingatt 15 November, 2011 @ 4:43 pm   7

@1: Ooops, I obviously meant Sucker Punch :)

jakster123x 15 November, 2011 @ 5:00 pm   8

@2 and @4

Yup.

@7

What do I have to do with this?! ;)

andrewsqual 15 November, 2011 @ 5:37 pm   9

Oh my God please don’t screw up this franchise. When somebody else touched Crash and Spyro back in the day the games were destroyed forever. Ninja Reflex??? I have no hope for this.

SamTheSkater 15 November, 2011 @ 5:57 pm   10

Easily the game I’m looking forward to the most! Glad the series is back! Sly 2 is probably my favourite game of all time. I think Sly 3 had too many characters so it got messy, plus it didn’t have the collectible bottles. Too bad Sucker Punch isn’t developing this one, but I’m sure it’ll be great anyway!

Very, very cool. I get more excited for the game every time I hear something new. Can’t wait to get my hands on a copy of it once it’s released. Don’t keep us waiting too long.

Screens look very nice.

divine1000 15 November, 2011 @ 8:53 pm   13

I plat’d the Sly HD collection earlier this year. By the time I’d finished Sly 3 I’d kinda had enough. I guess by the time this game is released I’ll be ready for some more.
Definite pre-order from me.

divine1000 15 November, 2011 @ 8:54 pm   14

I hope the bottles are back too :)

Shou_Kobayashi 15 November, 2011 @ 10:02 pm   15

ME GUSTA :D

Suzzopher 16 November, 2011 @ 8:18 am   16

This looks great. Possibly my most wanted PS3 game right now.

Huono_peleis 16 November, 2011 @ 12:19 pm   17

Oh! I thought this was developed by Sucker Punch. Not interested anymore since Sanzaras track-record isn’t actually very promising with mediocre or horribly bad games like Ninja reflex.

Hi glen if your reading when will sly thieves in time come out in the uk because it looks like the best game in the galaxy!

PilotB738 24 November, 2011 @ 1:40 am   19

nice game..i like it

rioichicooper 13 December, 2011 @ 12:41 am   20

I’ve am a very committed fan of the sly Cooper franchise and my favorite ancestor has always been rioichi Cooper. After seeing him I just wish They would him resemble rioichi from the 1st 2nd and 3rd game more by taking the ears out of his hood and by either making him grey like sly or changing his dominant color to red / white. And I really hope we get to go back and see sly’s dad other than that every thing else looks awesome. OH YEAH PLENTY OF DLC and add-ons as much as possible