Posted 21 November

Vodafone Announced As Preferred Partner For PS Vita 3G Connectivity

Sony Computer Entertainment Europe (SCEE) and Vodafone have today announced a partnership that will see Vodafone as the preferred provider of 3G connectivity for PlayStation Vita initially in the UK, Ireland, Italy, Germany, Spain, Portugal, Australia, New Zealand and The Netherlands, and with Vodafone’s Partner in France (SFR).

The PS Vita 3G/Wi-Fi model sold in selected countries will come with a Vodafone SIM card so that users can immediately enjoy social gaming experiences on the go. Customers will also be able to buy PS Vita 3G/Wi-Fi model direct from Vodafone channels, both online and in store. In addition, customers connecting with Vodafone will receive a PlayStation Network voucher to download WipEout 2048 from PlayStation Store.

PSVITA_front_WO48

“With social gaming and connectivity at the heart of PlayStation Vita it is important that we partner with a market leading network provider, to ensure users have a high quality 3G experience.” said Jim Ryan, President & CEO of Sony Computer Entertainment Europe. “Partnering with Vodafone will enable PS Vita users in the selected countries to always be connected with their PlayStation life, friends and games, wherever they are.”

“We want our customers to have the best choice of devices and PlayStation Vita is a great addition to our range,” said Patrick Chomet, Vodafone’s Group Terminals Director. “We know from our application downloads that games are hugely popular with our customers, so we’re delighted to be SCEE’s preferred connectivity partner for 3G Vita devices sold across Europe and other selected regional markets. Using the device over Vodafone’s high-performance network with extensive 3G reach and market leading download speeds brings a reliable ‘anywhere anytime’ dimension to gaming.”

PS Vita will be launching in PAL regions from 22nd February 2012. For more information visit eu.playstation.com/psvita

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

90 Comments 9 Author replies
Show oldest first

How will this work then? will you have to set up a monthly thing with vodaphone after you buy the console?

PS I haven’t been receiving Mail for vita or the theme even tho i signed up months ago :(

James Gallagher 21 November, 2011 @ 2:30 pm

Adam is away from his desk right now so I’m popping in to answer any questions I can. First, Vodafone are going to be announcing their 3G tariffs and data plans in due course.

i really want it so bad.

acousticguy92 21 November, 2011 @ 2:05 pm   3

Disappointed its with Vodafone. Was hoping Virgin would have been the preferred server.

@1 It will be exactly the same as any other mobile contract. Either set up a monthly contract with a set amount of downloads a month, or have a pre-paid account to choose the amount you want.

nemesisND1derboy 21 November, 2011 @ 2:06 pm   4

Will this be a contract thing, or will we have the system that’s in Japan where it’s more of a top up thing?

I would much prefer if it was the latter.

What about us who don’t live in any of the countries listed?Like Sweden?

James Gallagher 21 November, 2011 @ 2:33 pm

We’re going to be announcing further countries soon. Vodafone has a wide network of partners across the globe and we hope to work with those where possible.

CardcaptorStacey 21 November, 2011 @ 2:11 pm   6

Is it possible to use another carrier? I want to use 3. They have the best 3G coverage

James Gallagher 21 November, 2011 @ 2:38 pm

It is possible to use another provider as PS Vita isn’t SIM locked. As we have partnered with Vodafone, we have fully tested PS Vita’s features on their service and therefore can assure a great 3G service right from the off. We haven’t tested with other providers’ services and therefore can’t give the same quality assurances.

Oh another question does it have to be Vodaphone or can i put a GiffGaff sim card in it?

Hmmm I was hoping we would get some sort of prepay deal like Japan as atm I am paying over the odds for my mobile and sticking a 3G contract with Vodafone on top of that…:S

Ditto on the other carriers question. Will the 3G vita be SIM locked to vodafone?

booo hisssssssss vodafone

Why does the Wi-Fi model come with a SIM card? #consufed

James Gallagher 21 November, 2011 @ 2:41 pm

It’s just the way the product is listed – the ’3G/Wi-Fi model’ is actually just what you might call the 3G model (it’s written like that because it supports both connections). The Wi-Fi only model doesn’t come with a SIM card.

Galvanise_ 21 November, 2011 @ 2:16 pm   12

Well thanks for changing my mind to getting the Wifi version.

Awful decision.

Can I use my phone SIM card in the PS Vita and than use the 3G?

nemesisND1derboy 21 November, 2011 @ 2:26 pm   14

MusterBuster just confirmed it isn’t locked to VodaFone, just that VodaFone is the preferred partner. You can still use other sims, although presumably you won’t get the free voucher code for WipEout 2048 with another carrier.

Vodafone preferred in Australia? Hahahaha. Great if you live in metro areas, crap if you live regional

Vodafone my a$$, what about O2 as a 3G alternative?

poseidoncorps 21 November, 2011 @ 2:37 pm   17

Great news, Vodafone is a great data network, looks like a fantastic partnership between the two, and you also get the Wipeout game for using voda!
Just have to wait till Feb now :D

Foolishbean69 21 November, 2011 @ 2:38 pm   18

Important questions on which I will have to base my purchasing decision….

1) How much does it cost, the 3g contract?
2) Does the Vita support HSDTP?
3) Can I game online over the 3G?

If HSDTP is supported, then you can possibly bring down as much as 2mb/s which should, again, in theory be enough for online gaming…

If i can game online over 3g, I’ll buy a 3g model, if not I’ll tether my HDSTP enabled phone to the vita via WiFi and play across that….

James Gallagher 21 November, 2011 @ 2:51 pm

1.) Vodafone will announce their plans and tariffs in due course.
    2.) HSDPA/HSUPA/GSM/GPRS/EDGE specifications are supported.
    3.) Network options will vary from game to game, but what we’ve seen so far is the 3G connection being used for asynchronous multiplayer, downloading leaderboard and ghost data, Near, social features and more.

Jimmirock 21 November, 2011 @ 2:49 pm   19

I’ve been embroiled in a mini email battle with Vodafone for around 4 months now due to major signal problems in my area.
I’ll definitely be using another network :).

So there will be a monthly fee for 3G? How much could that roughly cost? I was considering buying a 3G version of Vita, but if I have to pay a lot for 3G every month than I don’t see the point… I’ll probably use 3G two or three times a month.

Foolishbean69 21 November, 2011 @ 2:57 pm   21

Thanks, so no sychronous multiplayer over 3g seen so far then?

Cause that’s going to be the deciding factor for me. If I can play real games online, in my lunchbreak i’ll buy a 3g rather than playing over tethered WiFi.

I played a Vita at Eurogamer, so I’m 100% sold on one already (they’re fantastic!!!) but nice to know if the 3g is worth it or not….

Thanks.

James Gallagher 21 November, 2011 @ 3:11 pm

With features such as Near you’re certainly going to get a lot more freedom if you have 3G, but I guess it’s going to come down to personal choice. I’m looking to put together some detailed posts on all of the PS Vita connected features so that might help you make up your mind.

SuGaR_rAy_RiDeR 21 November, 2011 @ 3:01 pm   22

It’s about time this was released to us, now i don’t have to put off pre-ordering as i get 20% off all vodafone tariffs due to where I work, wi-fi + 3g it is :-).

SHAFTRULES 21 November, 2011 @ 3:27 pm   23

cool! looking foward to this wee piece of hardware.

divine1000 21 November, 2011 @ 3:31 pm   24

There needs to be a PAYG option at release. I want the 3G SKU, but I can’t personally see why someone would want to be tied to a contract for this device, especially if you already own a smartphone.

•Hope the social networking features have been fully realised
•Hope we don’t get another completely borked browser

divine1000 21 November, 2011 @ 3:33 pm   25

Micro-SIM?

What about Vodacom (Vodafone’s subsidiary in South Africa)?

As I already have a mobile phone, I can use it’s 3G connection to get the full online experience (rather than the half-online the Vita’s 3G sounds like).

Sure, 3G is a bit wonky while you’re on the move but when sitting around mine is strong enough in most areas for online gaming – I’ve used it with my PS3 before now.

tapping123 21 November, 2011 @ 3:52 pm   28

I wonder how many times the same question is going to be asked? It is sim free so you don’t have to use Vodafone if you don’t get good coverage, only recommended.

jakster123x 21 November, 2011 @ 4:11 pm   29

Can I have a Vita, James?

Carnivius_Prime 21 November, 2011 @ 4:25 pm   30

Definitely getting a 3G Vita but I’ll be using o2 here for the best deal and coverage in my area.

manutreble 21 November, 2011 @ 4:26 pm   31

Will other phones company like o2 do this offer or is just Vodafone that’s doing this ?

Suzzopher 21 November, 2011 @ 4:30 pm   32

What sort of SIM card does the Vita support? Will it be standard SIM or Micro SIM?

Vodafone if good.
But expensive.

I’ll buy my PS Vita 3G on amazon, so I’ll get a Vodafone SIM card ?

undergroundgr 21 November, 2011 @ 4:39 pm   35

ehmmm please tell me i can use cosmote sim here in greece

Ok, I know this may seem stupid but can you connect a PS Vita to a Modem Router?

So am I right thinking if you buy the 3g model you get Wipeout free? Am getting my 3g Vita from GameStation (UK). So will it come with a Vodafone sim and if I put the vodafone sim in the vita I will get Wipeout.

Sorry am a little confused.

night_sign 21 November, 2011 @ 5:03 pm   38

And PSP Vita Lte?
Lte is better than 3G and is the future.

Ah! Thanks for telling me.
I’m so excited about LittleBigPlanet. I’ve been a following fan of the franchise for years and I’ll never miss a single game! :)

@37, It’s contract-based so if you want WipEout 2048 for free, you need to buy a contract from Vodafone directly.
BTW Are you from Scotland by any chance?

@40

No am from Liverpool lol. Thanks for the info.

@37, I think like you, just connect with the provided SIM card Vodafone to get WipEout 2048.

V00D00CHARL1E 21 November, 2011 @ 5:36 pm   43

@18 …. so am i correct in saying that unless you have a 3g model, you cant use features such as near, etc… If so, it kinda sucks cos the 3ds manages similar features aka street pass

get ya self a 3 net work pay as ya go sim put £15 on it and get 300 mins 3000 text and unlimited internet aslong as u have a smart phone u can tether it to a laptop then to ur ps3 works perfect for me. :)

dividsmythe 21 November, 2011 @ 5:54 pm   45

3g version for me if its p.a.y.g. and free wipeout.I’m happy now I know its hsdpa its good enough for gaming I think

cthulhu85 21 November, 2011 @ 5:58 pm   46

I was going for the 3G version at first, but then it’s a gamble if I’m allowed to bring it offshore with me, since they keep stopping people with Ipads (that has 3G possibilities) at the heliport…. So I pre-ordered the WiFi only version… might when it drops in price go and buy the 3G version for the smoothness of that… but most of the time I play on the PSP is when I’m at work, so it would’ve been bad to not be able to bring it with me… :(

ShootingStar_XCI 21 November, 2011 @ 6:00 pm   47

divine1000 (#24) already mentioned this. I’m not going to be completely satisfied with the 3G model unless its internet browser shows considerable improvement from the PS3′s.

Can I expect any improvement?

Thank you.

maddogarchie64 21 November, 2011 @ 6:00 pm   48

come on, virgin is much better, and will I have to pay to connect with 3G on a monthly basis or something? Because that would be a rip off

VitalogyPJ 21 November, 2011 @ 6:10 pm   49

Coolio!

I work for Vodafone (Portugal) I’ll look into this tomorrow and try to get some feedback with one of our produtcs manager :p

judgehusler 21 November, 2011 @ 6:16 pm   50

another stupid idea from sony! ill be sticking to the xperia play on o2, i pay £10 a month with free txt, free calls, great network coverage and enough gb for the net to keep me going until month ends!

Load all