Posted 7:00pm

Introducing Unit 13: Deploying On PlayStation Vita

On behalf of the entire team at Zipper Interactive, I am proud to announce a new shooter, Unit 13, designed from the ground up for the new PlayStation Vita. It’s been very exciting developing a game for the first portable console with precision dual analog sticks, the perfect platform for a fast action, hard-hitting, third person shooter like Unit 13. In addition, Vita’s front and back touch interface provided a unique and fun way to interact quickly with in-the-world elements of the game.

MtBase_003

Fast action, on-the-go gameplay was a key goal for the Unit 13 team. The game is designed for players to move quickly into the action, choosing from one of six Operatives with unique abilities to tackle 36 action-packed missions across nine unique locales. Missions come in a variety of sizes and difficulty. Some are smaller bite-sized battles; others are longer, more challenging, multi-objective missions that are a good test for any skilled shooter fan. As you make your way through the variety of missions, you unlock the right to take on the tougher High Value Target (HVT) enemy battles. After completing an HVT mission, you can share them with friends and nearby players through PlayStation Vita’s “NEAR” feature.

MtBase_002MtBase_004

The Zipper team put considerable effort into leveraging Vita’s WIFI and 3G functionality to provide exceptional social gaming and competition with friends and opponents from around the world. Unit 13′s live notification interface, enabled through 3G, keeps players up to date on leaderboard positions, new “Daily Challenge” content, new unlocks, shared High Value Target missions, and challenges from friends as they move past you on the leaderboards.

In Coop, you can play Unit 13 with a friend all with high quality voice chat enabled through the PlayStation Vita. Coop teams compete for top positions on the global, regional, and friend mission leaderboards.

Airbase_009Airbase_002

Airbase_001Airbase_010

We’re super excited for all of you to give Unit 13 a try. We believe it’s the perfect portable shooter on the best portable gaming platform, the PlayStation Vita. And it’s available right around Vita launch!

See you in the leaderboards!

The Unit 13 Team

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

25 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
Krat0s9001 22 November, 2011 @ 7:24 pm   1

They drop MAG to work on this? Nice >:(

Ravenblade86 22 November, 2011 @ 7:36 pm   2

Zipper did a great job with the Socom games on the PSP, so they know how to make a game for a portable system so I am very interested to see what they do with this.

Wraith_Bringer 22 November, 2011 @ 7:37 pm   3

Looks brilliant! Well done guys. :)

born2destroy 22 November, 2011 @ 8:03 pm   4

Thank God they have finally Let Socom die instead of trying to keep it going when its just not like socom. Finally you let it die. I may give it a go but was really hoping for a new socom as they were always classic on the PSP never really changed

jakster123x 22 November, 2011 @ 8:06 pm   5

It bares quite an interesting resemblance to Socom… I kid, it looks good and I’m looking forward to seeing gameplay

Jamesie_Payne91 22 November, 2011 @ 8:13 pm   6

I have to say it is nice to see some Vita news coming through, although I personally have a suspicion that this will just become Socom for Vita, as lets face it, that is what Zipper is best known for. Can’t wait to see some videos though.

IVIaster220 22 November, 2011 @ 8:59 pm   7

This is going to be basically what you would call the new Socom ftb series for the Vita. I got to say, it looks good. Will have to get this when it comes out.

KakaStaynz 22 November, 2011 @ 9:56 pm   8

i looked at the pictures first and i was thinking “a new ps3 game”. those graphics are impressive.

SalmonCannon 22 November, 2011 @ 10:53 pm   9

whats going on with the MAG servers then Zippedy-do-dah? :D are they going to be taken off completely? as the lag these days makes it pretty much unplayable especially for us in the UK!!
any chance of a MAG 2?

Please! M.A.G. 2 on PS3 :)

Looks great, in Zipper I trust.

Would love to see that in motion. Wasn’t expecting a launch game from Zipper.

Looks totally generic.

Zipper should make MAG 2 instead.
MAG is the best FPS experience on the market. I hope they read the comments and see us fans craving for a sequel for PS3/PSVita.

Choppy frame rate. Some PS2 quality animations. Clearly a rush job.
No thanks

bazer24773 23 November, 2011 @ 11:22 am   15

why are people saying zipper made socom on psp when it was slantsix who made it for them!

Because they developed SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 1+2 for PSP.

Only SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Fireteam Bravo 3 and SOCOM: U.S. Navy SEALs Tactical Strike were from Slant Six.

looks nice

SHAFTRULES 23 November, 2011 @ 5:01 pm   18

is there going to be any strategy games for the ps vita like the command & conquer series they type of games would be superb being able to use the touch screen capabilities

shedboy90 23 November, 2011 @ 9:57 pm   19

@nampad
“MAG is the best FPS experience on the market.”
u forgot to put iudo lol

Canadainoz 24 November, 2011 @ 1:26 am   20

Wow, Zipper can’t even manage to support its SOCOM community on the PS3 platform which has been around for 5 years.

Now they are actually expecting us to be interested in a game they are developing for a new and untested platform?

Adding insult to injury, from what I’ve read that drop kick “community manager” Dunham is part of the development team for this game.

Zipper you have provided me with some great entertainment it will truly be sad to see you go.

Let me know when Battlefield comes to vita and I’ll think about investing.

Bumblebee 24 November, 2011 @ 2:04 pm   21

1) It will need lobbies, and regional lobbies. Don’t lump everyone together and expect it to work. It may be functional but it isn’t anywhere NEAR as fun. See: SOCOM 2 vs SOCOM 4. A game with a thriving community versus a game with a dead community.

2) FIX SOCOM 4 FIRST PLEASE. By fix I mean ADD LOBBIES! REGIONAL LOBBIES! See point 1. The game itself is so nice, I just don’t play it because getting game with my friends in the UK is nigh-on impossible. After many nights sat staring at waiting screens for 20mins and up, I’ve not bothered with the competitive multiplayer. Co-op, though, we still play from time to time as unlike Competitive mode, it’s easy to play together.

Bumblebee 24 November, 2011 @ 2:04 pm   22

Honestly, Zipper need to start listening to the community… we used to be rabid SOCOM fans despite the flaws on PS2 (choppy frame rate, cheaters killing the game eventually etc) but destroying the lobby system has made even the most die-hard SOCOM 2 fan lose faith. And all they’d need to do to reinstall confidence is to sort out the lack of lobbies. I don’t think Zipper like making money any more. If I was a Sony bigwig I’d be so angry at them right now.

Online multiplayer games need regional lobby systems if they want to build a loyal, close-knit, dedicated community. Surprising that nobody took that on board from SOCOM 2. Sure, CoD doesn’t do it quite like that but that’s why it’s full of lonely casual players.

Please Zipper, learn from what you did right before and don’t ignore it! You could be the kings of online but it seems you’d rather chop off your own head. It’s a shame.

damien1789 24 November, 2011 @ 6:27 pm   23

After first hearing of the ps vita I must admit I was really looking forward to the release date. expecting big big FPS shooters for the first dual analog handheld ! And i must admit that if this is all that the vita has to offer i think i,l give it a miss!
the hole point of having a handheld is to be able to play anywhere in the house or out and about! theyd sell way more if they ported all our ps3 favs over to it…. AND TOOK THE DUAL ANALOG STICKS AND PUT THEM TO BETTER USE FULL FPS SHOOTERS WITH ONLINE MUTI.

TehPhilosopher 25 November, 2011 @ 10:21 am   24

I’d be thrilled to see MAG 2 – it’s head and shoulders above any other FPS out there when it comes to teamplay mechanics. MAG had a lot of promise, and you should be able to make a really good game out of MAG 2.

Cool! reminds me of Socom…..2!