Posted 5 December

‘Heads-Up’ PlayStation Plus Update – 7th December 2011

TRU_Banner---E2_632x263

December comes to end the year and a PlayStation Plus content refresh is in order. This update will take place on Wednesday, 7th December and you’ll have the opportunity to grab all the current content until then.

This month we have Tomb Raider: Underworld as our main title included with your subscription. In an ancient ruin on the floor of the Mediterranean Sea, Lara Croft uncovers proof of the Norse underworld and Thor’s mythical hammer. As she attempts to unravel the secrets behind these myths, Lara’s perilous journey leads her toward a forgotten power that, if unleashed, could lay waste to all civilization. Serious business, no?

Anyway, while you’re raiding tombs in a low-cut top, make sure you also check out your other offers this month, including Cool Boarders for PSone, and your requisite minis. From the 14th December you’ll also be able to grab a copy of Marvel Pinball from Zen Studios at no extra cost. If flippers are your thing and you like the game, we’ve also secured 50% off the first two DLC packs for you too.

Speaking of DLC – the Deadline DLC Pack for Split/Second: Velocity is included at no extra cost in your Plus subscription this month. Just in case you don’t already own the criminally underrated Split/Second, we’ve also got 50% off the digital version available from the Store throughout December.

Alongside the other bits and pieces this month, we’ve also got a Goldeneye 007: Reloaded demo for you a week before it hits the rest of the Store on the 14th, so enjoy your early playtest of Bond’s latest PS3 outing.

Finally, from this week we’re implementing a new category in Plus which brings us in line with SCEA – we’ll be offering a selection of Full Game Title trials, starting with around 20 titles available on the Store which we’ll expand as time goes on. As usual, you’ll have an hour to try out each title and then you’ll have the option to unlock the full game if you want to keep playing.

That’s all for now, you might find a few extra bits and pieces come to light throughout the month – don’t forget that if you’re a new subscriber to take advantage of the ’12 Gifts of Christmas’ with a new title from the Plus back catalogue available every 48 hours. What’s more, keep an eye on the main Store’s ’12 Deals of Christmas’ promotion, with additional discounts available for Plus members throughout the month.

Bye for now!

From December 14th:

• Marvel Pinball – 100% off
  • Marvel Pinball: Captain America Table – 50% off
  • Marvel Pinball: Fantastic Four Table – 50% off
  • Burnout Crash – 50% off until December 28th
  • The Studio – Hanging Mobile Theme – 100% off

Please note: additional offers may become available throughout the month. Keep an eye on the Plus section of the PlayStation Store and the weekly Store update posts for more information.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

195 Comments 8 Author replies
Show oldest first

A_Nonny_Moose 5 December, 2011 @ 5:05 pm   1

That is a pretty freaking sweet update.

VictorAnalogy 5 December, 2011 @ 5:07 pm   2

Agreed. TR:U is a pretty swish title. Cheers.

Carnivius_Prime 5 December, 2011 @ 5:08 pm   3

Can’t say I’m impressed. Not a fan of Tomb Raider at all. Uncharted beats it in every way possible.

Marvel Pinball would be a nice freebie if I hadn’t bought it already.

That is actually an awesome update, many thanks guys

Tomb Raider’s okay, I’ve already bought that. But Split/Second Velocity, WOOOOOO! :D

Tomb Raider: Underworld – 100% off

Well I thank you :)

Hopefully the 10 deals that are left will be more impressive…

Ross McGrath 5 December, 2011 @ 5:17 pm

It’ll be around €12.50, which is also around £10.00 – not bad at all for a really very entertaining driving game.

already own tomb raider…but some good offers there. how much is split second with the discount?

AllytheBruce 5 December, 2011 @ 5:15 pm   8

I am pleased with December’s offerings!

Great update! I already got Underworld, but those who don’t are in for a treat. Same with Split/Second, which truly enough is very, very underrated. I can’t recommend the game enough.

JonnyPauz 5 December, 2011 @ 5:15 pm   10

yeah, I like it, we want more for christmas please, discount on Sam & Max BTS would bring me some christmas cheer :)

Gundestruup 5 December, 2011 @ 5:16 pm   11

OMG! Awesome! Thank you very much! Merry xmas!

James Gallagher 5 December, 2011 @ 5:19 pm   12

Woop woop for Marvel Pinball! I’m a sucker for bumpers and ball-bearings.

Ross McGrath 5 December, 2011 @ 5:20 pm

There’s an off-colour joke in there somewhere, I’ll leave you to compile it yourself though, James. :)

James Gallagher 5 December, 2011 @ 5:28 pm

And that’s after I spent five minutes trying to make is as innuendo-free as possible. Thanks a bunch!

JonnyPauz 5 December, 2011 @ 5:22 pm   13

Yay for the early heads up Ross

Meh! Only 007 Demo for me! The rest i own or it’s not interesting! Not downloaded anything from PSN since Deus Ex DLC and i used to buy EVERYTHING… There’s just nothing i want!

Anyone need PSN cards or free games next week? fb.com/meandmyps3 Check it out :D Yeah i’m the Norwegian Santa!

Ross McGrath 5 December, 2011 @ 5:27 pm

Sorry there’s nothing there yet for you, hopefully there’ll be some extra Plus discounts on some things you’ll be wanting from the PSN Store this Holiday season.

When i want something i buy it right away! I dont wait for discounts ;-) Hopefully there will be some cool NEW games soon…

Ross McGrath 5 December, 2011 @ 5:34 pm

Good stuff – keep it up! Of course, it’s always possible we’ll have a day-one discount on something cool later on in the month…

will we be having a tomba 1/2 christmas?
when is fear effect 1/2 coming since its been rated on PEGI recently
and can i haz arc of lad (i suggest doing it or the teddy gets it D:<)

Ross McGrath 5 December, 2011 @ 5:35 pm

I can tell you for sure that Arc the Lad will be with you at some point in December.

TroubleMaker411 5 December, 2011 @ 5:34 pm   17

Superb!
Just as I was starting to wonder how I would be spending my 3 week Christmas hols, along comes a free copy of Tomb Raider: Underworld.

A decent game to run through, AND FREE TROPHIES!

Decent update Ross, cheers mate!

afccarl1994 5 December, 2011 @ 5:37 pm   18

Not bad at all. Might take a look at split/second.

Do you know if my TR:U BR save will work with the download version?

Ross McGrath 5 December, 2011 @ 5:39 pm

Actually I don’t, but there should be no difference between them as long as you’ve got the same region version as your Store account. No guarantees though, I’m afraid.

@afccarl it wont work, the game ID is different on all 3 versions (disc,digital,trilogy) i was close to platinum when i traded my original TR:U disc in for the trilogy

afccarl1994 5 December, 2011 @ 5:50 pm   20

Cheers, I had a feeling they would be awkward lol.

Haven’t done much of it anyway so I don’t mind.

Darlo-Richie 5 December, 2011 @ 5:52 pm   21

Ross, I know this is not plus related but please answer the best you can:

I’m really concerned that the Imports section isn’t getting the games I really want, Square Enix seem to be showing no interest in giving us Xenogears, Parasite Eve or Chrono Trigger/Cross. Resident Evil 2 and 3 are nowhere in site. Is Wild Arms in doubt as well?

almighty-slayer 5 December, 2011 @ 5:52 pm   22

Already own Tomb Raider so nothing for me. Pretty decent update though. Nice one

CookieMonsterES 5 December, 2011 @ 5:55 pm   23

Already have TRU and Marvel Pinball (excellent game, looking forward the new tables) but this is a great update, indeed. The Plus team did a great job again.

I know this is not the right blogpost to comment it, but FarCry 2 is not showing the discount announced in the Ubisoft 25th Anniversary blogpost, should be a 66%, not a 50% off, dunno if there’s still time to fix it.

jakster123x 5 December, 2011 @ 5:58 pm   24

What?! A full game for free? Wow, thanks!

What a great update, very happy this month. Split/Second is a very underrated game, I agree, I think i’ll take advantage of that deal.

Woo! Thanks again

Does this mean that Jurassic Park won’t be released on Wednesday?

Good update. To bad I already have TR:U, oh well, at least Ill get some fun pinball action.

smell_ya_l8r 5 December, 2011 @ 5:59 pm   27

Hi Ross/James

Saves between physical and downloaded games are never the same on the games I have tried.

I got the plat trophy on burnout ages ago and traded it in.

Then this year Burnout was free on plus and I big discount on all the DLC. I downloaded it all to find my save was incompatible and have to start from the beginning again!!

Same thing happened with Infamous and LBP.

Is there any chance you could look in to why this happens and perhaps try to get some kind of unification?

Cheers

DJbruce92 5 December, 2011 @ 6:02 pm   28

Shame I already own this on The Tomb Raider Trilogy.

Furiekins 5 December, 2011 @ 6:06 pm   29

Content is excellent, service is poor. A lot of us have lost last years PS+ content and there’s no ETA on it’s return.

PS+ is NOT a perpetual software subscription for us, and therefore, as good as the content is, cannot be recommended for anyone expecting the content to last beyond their year’s subscription :(

HighflyerVII 5 December, 2011 @ 6:06 pm   30

Nice update, have already 100%’d TR:U but I wouldn’t mind having it in my collection again. I look forward to Marvel Pinball, haven’t had a pinball game since True Pinball for the PS1 (which was awesome, might I add). I’ll probably use the discounts on Burnout and maybe Split/Second.

As for future Plus updates, I’d personally like to see Dante’s Inferno and Trine make an appearance soon, as well as DLC like ModNation Racers or PJE Encore…

…oh, and Super Rub’A’Dub!

well nothing for me, hate tomb raider, hate pinball games, very rarely buy anything from psn so discounts arent for me, cool boarders was crap but will give the minis a bash.still a better offering than last few months though just a pity its not for me.

DazzaUK1985 5 December, 2011 @ 6:09 pm   32

wow. This shows how good plus updates can be. It would be great if the free game given away each month could be a full retail title such as TR. Unfortunately I already have TR so there perhaps isn’t much for me (although split second may tempt me!) but this promises good things for the future! Oh and nice to see the UK store coming further in to line with the US – just please try to give us as much regular content as they get also ;-D

was meant to add, cant please every one all the time lol

Wow, best update for a while. Tomb Raider I did own but before the trophy patch, this is the perfect opportunity to get the platinum. Split Second is a game I always wanted to get round to, and now it looks as if I should. And anything Marvel is epic. Big thanks to you Ross and the rest of the guys, maybe this signals the start of EU Store finally catching up to US. Great stuff, keep it this way from now on!

Good game! Enjoy it people, I already own a copy.

And thanks for a pretty good update. Looking forward to Marvel pinball.

Skookie30 5 December, 2011 @ 6:17 pm   36

bloody typical what a weak update nothing for as for this…

” hopefully there’ll be some extra Plus discounts on some things you’ll be wanting from the PSN Store this Holiday season.”

we here this before & it comes back to nothing take the comming soon resident evil 2 & 3 we still haven’t got.

1 thing for sure i’m getting rid of my Ps3 if this pathetic Ps3 to be aim at youngest so bye bye adult theme storys hello kids move game & kids games.

what the [Deleted] point while we haven’t got Ps1 classics or PS2 titles & if this is true we can say good bye to PS1 classics & Ps2 titles hello disney.

Pacman_Ownage 5 December, 2011 @ 6:18 pm   37

Jolly good show chaps :D

Already own Tomb Raider: Underwear, but DLC for Split/Second free is icing on the cake ^_^

Will certainly think about renewing my subscription come February :D

KC-alpha-14 5 December, 2011 @ 6:18 pm   38

This is the breast, I mean best update we’ve had in a while..

Merry Christmas PS Store Team + James.

Nice, I was still searching for Tomb Raider, so if it’s for free, that’s briljant. I already own Split/Second, but with the DLC maybe more people will be online next few weeks, which would be nice.

Lovin’ this update. :D

And maybe Bolt, just have to check a few reviews first.

And Ross, can you give us a preview of the 20 titles that will be available to test out for a hour?

Homicide_17 5 December, 2011 @ 6:28 pm   41

So when will we see PS2 classics, we was told before 2012.

Alienshade 5 December, 2011 @ 6:31 pm   42

Ross you rock this is exakly what i want from this blogg. :)

Skookie30 5 December, 2011 @ 6:39 pm   43

My above commet about Kids aim for Ps3 is aim At SCEE because it doesn’t effect SCEA or SCEJ.

Faustofausto 5 December, 2011 @ 6:48 pm   44

Lol, I just bought the Zen/Marvel Pinball bundle :D I’m sure, I will buy the additional tables!
Anyway, it’s a nice update, can’t wait to download Tomb Raider!
Any gift for december 25? ;)

best update in a while well happy with this lot Decembers looking good :)

Awesome, thanks for the update.

I would also like to say what a great job you guys are doing with regards to news posts and replying to comments. It’s great to see that you obviously care about what you do. This is coming from someone who has (well had unfortunately) a very similar job at a gaming company. Keep up the great work!

nice update but I already have TR Trilogy……interested in split second but how big is the download? 6 or 7 gig maybe? anyone know!

Sm8ckhead 5 December, 2011 @ 6:59 pm   48

Please tell me if Trine 2 comes out on wednesday? All i can find about the release date is Q4 2011 which is now,so is there any info please Mr Crumb dangle.8)

How about some more space in clod storage for xmas? 150Mb is way to small… Skyrim 3 autosaves and 2 regular takes 1/3 of the space in the cloud!!! 500Mb or more would be nice, then i could backup Africa save also ;-)

Yeah! Great update this month!

Load all