Posted 7 December

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD Launching 21 December

StrangerLogo_HD_Final-Small

I wanted to first thank you all for your patience, it’s been a long wait I guess, but at the same time it’s been even longer for us. We’ve been working on Stranger’s Wrath, one way or another for around 15 months now. From the initial discussions, to actually starting work on the project true, to then getting it done!

As most of you may know we originally planned to release the game around Easter, to be able to do that we were to have started full development in September last year, but as it transpired, we didn’t actually start until April 2011, which gave us our hoped late Summer release; but we ended up spending another couple of months on it, so here we are DONE AND DUSTED for release.

As such I’m extremely pleased to announce that Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD will release across PAL on 21 December.

One of things we’ve been asked a lot over the past few months is if Stranger’s Wrath HD has a Platinum trophy – of course it does! This is a big game and it can easily take at least 12+hrs to complete.

So here’s what’s updated in the HD version:

Characters

joe-ps3

• All 84 character models have been updated with increased polygon counts and higher resolution textures.
  • Wolvark Sloghandlers now release Slogs instead of Slegs.
  • Professor Dimble now has glasses and an academic tome.
  • New female voices have been recorded for two characters.
  • Made Blisterz Booty unkillable.

Environments

minecart-ps3

• All environments have been given higher resolution textures.
  • Most vegetation has been updated with increased polygon counts and/or higher resolution textures.
  • A lot of environment now reflects in water where it didn’t before.
  • Many, many pipes and barrels rounded.
  • Easter Eggs added to the game.
  • Added Blisterz Booty’s broken crud gun to the floor by his bola’d body.
  • Sekto’s Office has been changed to more closely resemble than seen in the FMV.

Audio

• All game audio (voice, sound effects and music) have been upgraded to 16-bit 44KHz from 8-bit 11KHz or less!
  • Support for 5.1, Dolby Digitial and DTS.

Display

• Everything now runs at 720p, 60 FPS, widescreen.
  • All menus have been updated with a new design based on original unused concepts.
  • New posters now occupy the inventory menu when no bounty is accepted.

Difficulty

mcgee-ps3

• All armour upgrades now actually increase Stranger’s health.
  • Added difficulty levels to the game: Easy, Medium and Hard.
  • In easy mode:
    • Stranger has twice the health.
    • Enemies have half the health and stamina.
    • Enemies’ stamina recovers half as fast.
  • In Normal Mode:
    • Stranger’s health and armour for later in the game have been re-balanced.
  • In hard mode:
    • Stranger has a third less health.
    • Enemies stamina recovers a third quicker.

Unlockables

forest-ps3

• 37 trophies: 23 bronze, 8 silver, 5 gold, 1 platinum.
  • 37 pieces of unlockable Concept art.
  • 5 unlockable movie.

And what will the cost be for all this HD awesomeness?! £9.99/€12.99

Once again, thanks for waiting as long as you have. We hope you’ll enjoy the game and, if the review scores we’re starting to get are anything to go by, you will!

Merry Christmas everyone!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

67 Comments 10 Author replies
Show oldest first

Hell yeah! Looks awesome :D

A_Nonny_Moose 7 December, 2011 @ 4:26 pm   2

Finally! Awesome (hoping for a Plus discount too).

Pacman_Ownage 7 December, 2011 @ 4:26 pm   3

Well I won’t say you have my money…

…But you’ve certainly got my redeem voucher for PSN :o

couple questions to ask
will there be any ps+ discount on release?
how long for the 3D patch?
will it revert to 720p resolution if the ps3 is set to 1080p or will it just upscale?

Stewart Gilray 7 December, 2011 @ 4:38 pm

Hello,
    re: the PS+ discount, I can’t comment quite yet, but that should tell you something ;-)

As for the 3D Patch, I think late Feb/Early March would be the ideal time.

Yes, it does revert to 720p as that is what the game runs at.

Stew

almighty-slayer 7 December, 2011 @ 4:28 pm   5

Congrats on the release date JAW :) Day one, can’t wait to play it

capitales7 7 December, 2011 @ 4:35 pm   6

“Wolvark Sloghandlers now release Slogs instead of Slegs.”
NEVER has a sentence made less sense to me :D Brilliant!

Seriously though, the texture upgrades look really good!

Stewart Gilray 7 December, 2011 @ 4:40 pm

Like I said in my post, it’s MORE than just a texture upgrade. The main player character has gone from 3,000 polys, to a little over 20,000 :)

Make it 9.99€ for psn + members and it’s a day one buy. If not I will still buy it but will wait for the move patch.

Cannot wait for this. It was good back in the day on Xbox, never mind from the extra TLC (how all HD updates should be treated!) that you guys have put into this game :)

Catkiller1 7 December, 2011 @ 4:37 pm   9

£9.99 is a great price ;)

Will the Oddboxx collection that was released on STEAM, eventually release on the PS3?

Stewart Gilray 7 December, 2011 @ 4:39 pm

We have been discussing it, time will tell.

Perhaps after we release Munch’s Oddysee HD next year.

Hell-Raiser-85 7 December, 2011 @ 4:46 pm   10

Great news cant wait. Whats the size of the game? Any trophy list? thanks

JonnyPauz 7 December, 2011 @ 4:46 pm   11

never played this one, I did like all the Abe games though.

Catkiller1 7 December, 2011 @ 4:47 pm   12

@ Stewart

Thanks for the reply!

I’ll purchase this on the 21st & Munch’s Oddysee next year then instead. I don’t want to wait that long for Strangers Wrath ;)

Is this like a 2D scroller? Is it an entirely new game, or is it an HD remake of the original abes oddysee and stuff?! Loved that game!

Stewart, you made the right decision regarding the price. It’s essentially a niche title (in a world of COD), so to price it any higher would be dangerous.
I for one will be making the purchase and I hope you and your team will be rewarded for what appears to be a highly polished job.

I think this might the best looking HD remake I’ve seen.

Catkiller1 7 December, 2011 @ 4:54 pm   16

@ Hell-Raiser-85

Trophy List: http://goo.gl/TJZ77

I hope it doesn’t require multiple playthroughs & the Difficulty trophies stack!

Stewart Gilray 7 December, 2011 @ 4:58 pm

If you play it on Hard, you only need to do it once to get all the difficulty trophies :)

so. this will be on the vita.. right?
so if i get in o ps3 now, can i downloade it to the vita when it comes out? or do i need to buy it agian?.

but at 10 bucks (great price, other needs to learn), its not the dealbreaker

Stewart Gilray 7 December, 2011 @ 4:59 pm

Hello,
    No, you will need to purchase it separately for the Vita, what the pricing is I really have no idea yet.

Also, it’s $15 bucks in the US :)

Catkiller1 7 December, 2011 @ 5:02 pm   18

the1free_man 7 December, 2011 @ 5:13 pm   19

That is quite a reasonable price for a critically acclaimed game. Especially with the 15 euro map packs certain hacks are trying to shove down our throats.
I will most definitely get this.

AaronSOLDIER 7 December, 2011 @ 5:14 pm   20

You should remake the first two in HD.

Stewart Gilray 7 December, 2011 @ 5:29 pm

We actually announced earlier this year that our next project is an Abe title, we’ve just not said what it is yet ;)

the1free_man 7 December, 2011 @ 5:17 pm   21

Also, how fun was it to add Easter eggs to the game? I imagine a group of people whose job is to giggle all day…

the1free_man 7 December, 2011 @ 5:19 pm   22

…aaand, my avatar is still not showing up here. What the what, psblog?

Brilliant price for what looks to be the best remaster job yet.

Steward said on twitter the difficulty trophies stack.

Definitely getting this, but will there be an Oddbox type of bundle in the near future?

I said to myself I had no interest in this but I kept taking a look at all the blog posts about it. I still said I wouldn’t buy it. But now… I’m buying it. Greatly enhanced graphics, reworked difficulty, taking time and effort to tweak what was wrong and make it better, upgrading audio, new dubbing, a platinum trophy and all for £10 (plus PSN+ discount)? Guys, you know how to woo a man.

Stewart Gilray 7 December, 2011 @ 5:53 pm

We aim to please, ultimately if we didn’t pay attention to it, we wouldn’t be doing the fans a service, nor would we be doing ourselves any favours.

VitalogyPJ 7 December, 2011 @ 5:52 pm   26

Wow seriously with the price? :o

I saw a few earlier videos and the game seem awesome, graphically speaking and adding a platinum trophy in it was a genius move hehe so shut up and take my money :p

Stewart Gilray 7 December, 2011 @ 6:00 pm

If you visit Oddworld.com there’s a brand new in game footage posted today.

A3RO_DYNAMIK 7 December, 2011 @ 5:59 pm   27

Looks brilliant! Day one purchase for me especially with PS Plus discount!

Wicked, thats dates on my birthday too!

hexman666 7 December, 2011 @ 6:46 pm   29

look s kool

Yea, right. lol

deadsleepx 7 December, 2011 @ 6:48 pm   31

Great news guys, never played it so it will be great to pick it up in HD. Got to say the pricing is really good as well, maybe a little plus discount too ;). Congrats on this it looks amazing.

terminator94zozo 7 December, 2011 @ 6:52 pm   32

took me 4 years to complete abe’s oddysee i was a dumb kid in that time but oh boy i loved all the 4 years. I havent played munch and stranger I will buy this for sure!! but my question is how much will it cost in swedish kronor? :P

Cannot wait for this! :D

C_L_O_U_D_M_A_N 7 December, 2011 @ 7:12 pm   34

Been wanting to play this ever since I heard about years back, and at a mere €12.99? I’LL TAKE TEN!!

Congrats though, seems like you guys did a bang-up job on it! I look forward to whatever Oddworld-related title or otherwise you guys bring out next…

Guri_Tricolor 7 December, 2011 @ 7:28 pm   35

this looks amazing! and the price…
excellent way to show how its done! :)

“Added Blisterz Booty’s broken crud gun to the floor by his bola’d body.”

After that, I must buy this game =))

Erorrless 7 December, 2011 @ 7:47 pm   37

thats how HD remakes should be made. great job!

homer_snake 7 December, 2011 @ 8:11 pm   38

In Odd we trust. :)

Shou_Kobayashi 7 December, 2011 @ 8:52 pm   39

I like hit. Hopefully nor abritary multiplayer… and aso this is my first FPS I’m going to buy :) … congratulate yourself on that :)

Thank you soo much for this great news, the price is awesome as well. I just have one question, would the PS Vita version be the same as the PS3 version i.e. graphics and would it support trophies.

Thanks again, can’t wait for the release date

VitalogyPJ 7 December, 2011 @ 9:58 pm   41

OMG loved the new in-game footage :D

jakster123x 7 December, 2011 @ 10:14 pm   42

Now this is what I call an HD remake!

lewis-martin-1 7 December, 2011 @ 10:22 pm   43

YESS i cannot wait for this !!!! av been replaying thorugh oddworld and exodus also looking forward to munch’s oddysee as ive never played these two :D !!

Noctis149 7 December, 2011 @ 10:23 pm   44

Now that’s the way to do a remaster!

“We had planned on shipping with 3DTV support, PS Move support and a few other little things, but due to time limits we are not able to bring those features in this version. However, we WILL be bringing them in an update in a couple months, along with some other little extras we’ve got planned.”

So another SOCOM confrontation then, eh?

Pure_Mind_Games 7 December, 2011 @ 11:32 pm   46

“37 pieces of unlockable Concept art.
5 unlockable movie.”

Really? what happened to unlocking useful and fun stuff like ‘Infinite Lives’, ‘Infinite Ammo’ and ‘Big Head Mode’

Jammy2211 7 December, 2011 @ 11:49 pm   47

This is how you do a HD reboot of a game, well done guys. I don’t even know what this game is but I’ll be buying it as you took time to do proper work polishing it, and stuck a full trophey list in too – more then Capcom could be arsed to do with RE4.

Hope many others learn from your example.

Finally!

I have been waiting for this for like forever.
On december 21 I’ll be €12.99 poorer.

Stonesthrow 8 December, 2011 @ 3:22 am   49

I was so pissed when this went from ps2 exclusive, to not being released on ps2 at all.. Now I probably won’t get this untill there’s a pricecut or I’m bored, but I don’t see that happening with all the great games that have been released these last months..

If you guys do decide to make a new oddworld, please go back to the original 2D ones, those were great

abe was great on ps1 until the game was excluzieve on x box
= treason , so no tanks.
+ i not buy any hd versions , ( only hd monsterhunter intrested )
al other games = ps2 i not buy old games i have already .

Load all