Posted 11 December

The Last Of Us Unveiled At VGAs

Some of you may have read reports of a new PS3 exclusive called The Last of Us set to be revealed at the Spike TV 2011 Video Game Award Show (VGAs). We are now happy to reveal that The Last of Us is being developed by Naughty Dog Inc., creators of such acclaimed game series as Uncharted, Jak and Daxter and Crash Bandicoot.

The Last of Us is a genre-defining experience that blends survival and action elements to tell a character driven story about a population decimated by a modern plague. Abandoned cities are being reclaimed by nature and the remaining survivors are killing each other for food, weapons and whatever they can get their hands on. Joel, a ruthless survivor, and Ellie, a brave, young teenage girl who is wise beyond her years, must work together to survive their journey across what remains of the United States.

“We are excited to finally unveil The Last of Us, a project the team has been working hard on for some time,” said Evan Wells, co president of Naughty Dog Inc. “Naughty Dog’s mission is to change the way people experience videogames. We are confident The Last of Us will take a leap forward in cinematic gaming and storytelling, providing gamers with an experience unlike anything else in the industry.”

We hope this teaser trailer has whetted your appetite and, as always, PlayStation.Blog will be the first place to hear about The Last of Us, this exciting new title from some of the industry’s most talented game designers.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

80 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
spiceweasel 11 December, 2011 @ 8:11 am   1

Best announcement of the year.

Thanks for a great Christmas present Naughty Dog! Can’t wait to see gameplay from this – you guys are going to OWN E3 2012!!!!

A_Nonny_Moose 11 December, 2011 @ 8:13 am   2

Since this is being worked on by ND’s new second team, and has presumably been in development for a while now, can we expect a 2012 release?

Looks MINT !
ND are Top Dog on the PS3!

sweet

CherryChill 11 December, 2011 @ 9:06 am   5

I need to update my wishlist ;)

Is this the exclusive that geoff.K warn us a shock that you wouldn’t not expected it a shock that great that you wouldn’t have guess what it is.

you say hype i say damp squid so ND is involved big Whoopdedo.

ND are great devs but hardly a shock announcement but if it was this……

if FF 7 remake have been announce or a proper announcement from kojima about MGS5 that would be a shock announcement that ppl wouldn’t have guess & wouldn’t have expected it.

see what happens when you try to hype up a game oh goodie a U series clone. :|

I’m hyped!

I hope it’s a holiday 2012 release, or earlier. Won’t be as funny as Uncharted I suspect, but I hope that in the relationship between the girl and her father (?) there is a glimmer of the subtle brilliance Naughty Dog touched in the relationship between Nate and Elena.

Funny really how ‘the end of times’ has become a bit of a topic in gaming recently. I Am Alive, Enslaved, … Seems like the 2012 bullsh** and the economic recession has it’s influence on the arts and entertainment.

Looks good. Seems to be running on the same engine as Uncharted 3.
I look forward to seeing more on this.

manutreble 11 December, 2011 @ 9:23 am   9

the last pit of the video reminded me of I am laegend & and other zombie game ?

daynejoseph 11 December, 2011 @ 9:28 am   10

I agree. With UNCHARTED 3 getting tons of awards, THE JAK & DAXTER TRILOGY being released in Feb 2012, & now THE LAST OF US-NAUGHTY DOG is going to be a favourite to all game reviewers! :)

I wanted it to be developed by 1 of these – ‘Kojima’ or ‘Naughty Dog’ & it is! ! !(ND that is) :P Now i just need my cr*p Laptop to wake-up & i can watch the video above(DAM you cr*p MicroSoft slow Windows) :-/

Erorrless 11 December, 2011 @ 9:51 am   12

looks awesome!

Ultima-Genesis 11 December, 2011 @ 9:55 am   13

wow ND you really are becoming a powerhouse, keep up the good work ill look forward to a release date for this. Btw i just played through drakes deception 1-3 after being bugged by a mate and WOW, brilliant job guys definately the best series ive played since MGS

I saw a video the other day, where someone predicted this by evidence in Uncharted 3. He was spot on. There was a calendar in a pub in U3 that had the date 31st October circled, could this be The Last of Us planned release date?

amazing graphics

ScrewThePooch 11 December, 2011 @ 10:31 am   16

Dead island can kiss my ass!

A new Naughty Dog title? I am in :)

ALhammadi51 11 December, 2011 @ 10:33 am   18

I hope it’s gonna be release soon

ALhammadi51 11 December, 2011 @ 10:36 am   19

I hope it’s gonna be release soon .

Chocobo115 11 December, 2011 @ 10:41 am   20

Naughty Dog + Survival Horror? I’ll take it!

@16

LOL

Carnivius_Prime 11 December, 2011 @ 10:45 am   22

Looks fantastic as does anything by Naughty Dog these days. They’re the masters of the craft not just in graphics but they get exactly how characters should move and interact with the environment. Unfortunately they kinda spoil so many other developers games who just don’t have that skill and end up with games that feel like a past generation compared to the amazing work in Uncharted. Playing Batman Arkham City currently as it came with my new PS3 Slim and I find the character animations extremely stilted and the controls somewhat lacking after playing so much Uncharted 3 lately.

@Skookie30 A FF7 remake? What, to make it actually somewhat fun? Horrible game even when it was released on PS1 all them years ago. And Kojima needs to take lessons from ND about how to make a playable game that isn’t bogged down by it’s own story and cutscenes.

MaikelSteneker 11 December, 2011 @ 10:53 am   23

This looks great. I thought no zombie game could ever impress me anymore (or at least not for another 5 years), but this trailer was nothing short of amazing. The graphics look great, the characters seem real and I can’t wait to explore this world.

Looking forward to getting stuck into this game.

Looking goood I just love naughty dog reminds me a lot like will smiths I AM LEGEND?

This could well be the first ND game I’ll buy for PS3, providing that there is either little or no shooter elements.

Cringles88 11 December, 2011 @ 11:28 am   27

Yup, looks kinda like I Am Legend which is cool.

1+ for less shooting, as ND can’t seem to do it at all that well. Also hopefully the story is good. UC3 had a less than interesting story.

I’m honestly, completely blown away by what Naughty Dog have done on the PS3. They took Uncharted which was an industry standard and literally upped every aspect. Absolutely incredible!

Just don’t keep us waiting for this gem too long now, I want to be able to sit down as play this by next year.

We really don’t need another survival horror game, the three “things” in the trailer instantly put me into “FFS” mode.

“providing gamers with an experience unlike anything else in the industry” – LOL

All I’m seeing here is a “I Am Legend” and “Silent Hill” mix, possibly with the player taking control of both characters (with different abilities) throughout the game, and the male character getting killed at the end of the game (probably during a heroic act) while the girl walks off into the sunset.

Hopefully I’m wrong and this game will actually turn out to be something different and special. Only time will tell :)

Falcon1991 11 December, 2011 @ 11:49 am   30

The graphics look phenmoinal.

I can’t wait to hear more. Also the girl looks like Ellen Page.

Falcon1991 11 December, 2011 @ 11:49 am   31

Darn, I meant phenomenal. :p

Jamesie_Payne91 11 December, 2011 @ 12:02 pm   32

This looks incredible! With any luck this will be released next year, roughly around the same time as Uncharted 3 was released this year. From what has been shown and if the gameplay is any good, then this could be a great contender for 2012′s GOTY award. Finally nice to see a game that isn’t to do with zombies, but just a mutation plague.

My first thoughts on this was “Ooo Naughty Dog have made I Am LEgend into a game, but actually made it good.”

Titchy_Penguin 11 December, 2011 @ 12:25 pm   33

Assassins creed 3 and The last of us next year

somethingatt 11 December, 2011 @ 12:45 pm   34

Hopefully ‘genre defining’ applies to gameplay as well!

@ NRX1000. I completely agree. Whilst I believe Naughty Dog have proven that they one of the best around at what they do that trailer made me think of Dead Island all over again.

I’m personally burnt out with zombie games. So beyond this trailer ND has gotta do something much better to get my attention.

The nature twist might be the game maker in here but the trailer just smacks of “new zombies, old concept”. I hope I’m wrong.

brucewillis215 11 December, 2011 @ 12:55 pm   36

when i saw the naugthy dog logo then i was like omfg they are making something awesome. my dream came true naugthy dog making a apocalypse game this is awesome!!!

extralife_psx 11 December, 2011 @ 12:56 pm   37

ooh naughty dog, how u spoil us ps3 gamers :)

Jesse-Blue 11 December, 2011 @ 12:56 pm   38

Wow.
Graphics look INSANE. Still don’t believe the playable game is going to look this FANTASTIC.
Great surprise, now who needs Resident Evil if ND is working on a survival game… :-)

im into this hopefully its next year then we can get a new uncharted after that (saying that i just got uc3 today and am just about to start it so ill be enjoying that today lucky me £24 in asda get on it if you haven’t already)

I’m so very glad Naughty Dog only do Sony Games, not because I’m a fanboy, but because they know the system (PS3) so well and it seems everything they do are stunning.

Connor_mufc_1985 11 December, 2011 @ 1:34 pm   41

Im going to ignore any negativity posted around the internet on The Last of Us and believe me theirs plenty , I saw the trailer on ps3 youtube and it looks great this year is the first time iv ever been interested in E3 and now again because of a Naughty Dog game im so looking forward to E3 2012 , a survival horror made by Naughty Dog screams perfect to me , I hope just 3 things 1. its 3rd person view 2. its got some co-op elements , 3.its released next year .

Connor_mufc_1985 11 December, 2011 @ 1:37 pm   42

oh btw PAYDAY THE HEIST is £6.29 for a very limited time i bought the game but whenever i join a lobby people kick me because im a low rank noob so anybody that buys it today feel free to add me for a few heists , its also further discounted for plus members ;)

Skookie30 11 December, 2011 @ 1:45 pm   43

I can’t watch the trailer as you know we got a crap browser.

as for FF7 there where nothing wrong with FF7 i know ppl dont like grinding they want a quick story & shorted cutscenes in short a quick game.

a short game that doesn’t last long but cost us more.

i don’t mind grinding because that what you do on assassin creed series doing faction challenges, looting chests, finding 101 flags, 100 feathers, 100 fragments & rebuilding a city.

all are optional but why bother if you dont like grinding these optional things are link to the story.

1 thing gameplay doesn’t tell you the story.

aaron_2256 11 December, 2011 @ 1:46 pm   44

looks cool might get it :)

jakster123x 11 December, 2011 @ 2:13 pm   45

I’m very interested in seeing what the gameplay’s like for this. I’m hoping and expecting it to be a 3rd person game

maddogarchie64 11 December, 2011 @ 2:17 pm   46

shut up and take my money, this is a day 1 purchase for me

grootyetiseun 11 December, 2011 @ 2:32 pm   47

looks amazing! Hope it’s not linear.

She looks just like Ellen Page…

I’m in.

FurryFreak 11 December, 2011 @ 3:46 pm   49

Chrisius, you beat me to it! I was actually gonna say I thought it sounded like Ellen Page, and it wouldn’t surprise me if it is because she looks like her too.

supersmith2500 11 December, 2011 @ 4:41 pm   50