Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 9:23pm

Naughty Dog’s First Comments On The Last Of Us

Unless you’ve been far, far away from the internet this weekend, you should already know that the VGAs afforded us our very first look at Naughty Dog‘s The Last of Us. If you haven’t, watch the trailer now! Then come back.

As soon as Zachary Levi walked off stage and the lights came up (I think the credits were still rolling!) we grabbed Naughty Dog co-presidents Christophe Balestra and Evan Wells to ask them about their next title.

You surely haven’t heard the last of The Last of Us; stay tuned to the PlayStation.Blog for more.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

50 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

So psyched about this game. I hope it will come out in 2012 considering it has been worked on for 2 years already. Most importing thing, I’m sure it’s gonna be awesome whenever it’s out.

How do you work on this AND uncharted 3 AT THE SAME TIME!?

Player42791 12 December, 2011 @ 10:29 pm   3

@DAVIE222
They split into two teams after Uncharted 2.

Player42791

then they must work twice as hard

born2destroy 12 December, 2011 @ 10:54 pm   5

Or they hired twice as many people? XD Anyways we all know it will be a great job as its coming from naughty dog. Have they ever let us down?

I can’t wait to see more:P

To be honest, I’m really disappointed it’s not Jak 4 they’re making next :(

Will it ever happen??

Please be in 2012 when it comes…

craigiversen 12 December, 2011 @ 11:53 pm   9

Nearly everything about The Last Of Us seems first rate and exactly the kind of game I’m looking forward to. I love the style of the graphical art, the colours, the character design (nearly totally), the world design and just the overall story direction so far.

I only have one real concern from that trailer. The mutated (or whatever has happened to them) people who one of the leads shoots at. They look good, but not great, maybe it’s just that I can’t see much of them yet. Still, something about what little we can see doesn’t look very realistic. They kind of almost look like they have clown heads or something of the like, with the swelling and distortions they have from the nose up. It doesn’t strike me that something like that would be able to co-ordinate an attack. The mutation from being human into something so distorted would involve a lot of cranium cracking andf breaking and brain matter swelling and growing out all over the place.

craigiversen 12 December, 2011 @ 11:53 pm   10

I know going down the road of a more zombified look may seem to “been there done that”, but with these creatures, they don’t seem as credible to me. They seem to lend themselves to a more uniform design that could become boring, as they don’t seem to have hair anymore, or anything to overwhelmingly show variety in their appearance.

It’d be great for you guys to fill us in more on these things and what your plans are with them if possible.

The Last Of Us looks truly amazing, and I’d hate it to be held back by one design aspect that may look a little too invariable and unfeasible to imagine working in with so much of a realisitic type setting.

Is this going 2 be scary like dead space or more like uncharted with zombie/mutants
but am hoping there will be more info soon.

Hint in uncharted 3? Where?

Also, let’s face it. If naughty dog are doing the ‘done-before’ zombie style, its still going to kick ass. Much like uncharted and third person shooters.

Player42791 13 December, 2011 @ 12:32 am   13

@craigiversen

From what I’ve read it’s supposed to be a mind controlling/deadly fungus that’s grown over the “zombie’s” head.

drew2dope 13 December, 2011 @ 1:45 am   14

looks awsome, can’t wait!

spaceace007 13 December, 2011 @ 3:17 am   15

@tardis26 the guy from iwaggle3D spotted it in a sequence in Uncharted 3 (It’s part of the pub scene in a newspaper that’s called the informer (pretty much the guardian layout honestly)

@craigiverson The first teasers were all about the cordyceps fungus which was featured on the Planet Earth documentaries (good watch and Attenborough as always is great). So if it’s a fungus that’s basically mind controlling them just like the cordyceps did with the ants then it’s definitely not going to look like a zombie because technically it’s not quite a zombie but parasite that’s taken over the host. It’s even less of a zombie than a necromorph, the closest thing you could say it’s similar to in gaming fiction is the headcrab from the Half-Life games. The blurb also mentions that nature has tried to retake the reins, so it’s probably a fungi or plant infestation on living organisms. Most likely humans aren’t the only ones infected.

bennyrafal 13 December, 2011 @ 6:18 am   16

I declare my pants are WET.

ps. Dear ND, please give this game a Story, not like any other Zombie like games…

I like how Naughty Dog’s games always match my age.

jakster123x 13 December, 2011 @ 7:48 am   18

@7: I don’t think so. :(

Anyway, how big is ND now? They used to be a relatively small company but now they’ve split into 2 teams and have been working on 2 AAA games over the past 2 years makes me wonder how they’re managing to keep up the awesome

craigiversen 13 December, 2011 @ 8:52 am   19

@13 & @15. Thank you to you both for not biting my head off for not liking it straight away and for the interesting info in relation to the fungus and it’s mind controlling possibilities (makes for an interesting idea), sounds good to me.

Still, I would really love it if they were able to make it look a little less like a giant popcorn-type thing on the head, by maybe introducing some veins or even some liquid type thing going on under the skin, maybe some colours to make it look more organic. Just thoughts and suggestions in case they read and are early enough in their development cycle.

All in all this is now my most looked forward to title for next year!

cool

Chocobo115 13 December, 2011 @ 10:05 am   21

Can anyone sum what was said? I hate when people just post a video without thinking :(
I’m hearing impaired and have a real hard time hearing what’s beeing said :/

Player42791 13 December, 2011 @ 10:11 am   22

Here’s a link for the killer fungus bit from Planet Earth.

Player42791 13 December, 2011 @ 10:13 am   23

@Chocobo115
They were really just talking about keeping it a secret for the past 2 years.

judgehusler 13 December, 2011 @ 10:14 am   24

@craigiversen
when you mentioned realism i thought to my self could you explain as iv never seen a real zombie or mutated creature so dont know how realistic something like that should be, then you mentioned the popcorn!
lol i totally see your point now, thats a very good description.
i hope they come in toffe flavour, i wont be as scared to hunt them down!
i myself hate the zombie type games as there are way to many and it has been killed off for me but this game looks completely different! maybe because the story thats involved, im looking forward to seeing a bit more about the game.

very interesting looking game i make sure to follow up the news on this one

ALhammadi51 13 December, 2011 @ 10:41 am   26

very nice

im so tired of this zombie/monster kind of [Deleted] that games tend to have right now. i hate those kind of games. i personaly loved crash and jak, and was hoping for some new platforming since there is to little of those games nowdays.

hope the zombie theme [Deleted] trend is over soon. but since it is naughty dog (you guys makes great game not saying anythingelse, i happend just not liking this kind of games), it will probably be a series of 3 games, since all earlier titles have that.

@ iisc2k7
and thats why i dont think we will have a jak4, it’s a serie of 3 games.

The hint about the Last of Us in Uncharted 3 is early on, I think it’s actually the opening cut scene. There’s a newspaper called the Overseer with a headline something like ‘Scientists baffled by new disease.’

chrisandsheva 13 December, 2011 @ 12:19 pm   29

lol about the realistic zombies, though tbh i have seen some very scary documentaries about Hatian witchdoctors who can mix certain herbs and add ‘other’ stuff to it to basically make a living healthy person into a zombie, Kind of like the pharmacutical parts in the RE games (i suppose?) as opposed to the Romera films type of undead, I do believe that there are forces in this world that we both don’t understand, and don’t want to, so we usually dismiss them with humour/sceptism, i’m basically saying why can’t zombies be realistic?, Anyway just my opinion, and to the guys who talked about the insect controlling fungus thanks for the info, i will check the link out later, gotta run at min, Though again kinda reminds me of luios notebook in RE4, which i ‘imagine’ was about real parasites controlling their hosts, this new ND game had my interest anyway, but if added with a twist of realistic possibilitys about mind controlling substances it ‘could’ also grab my respect, apart from my usual for a good experience.

manutreble 13 December, 2011 @ 12:41 pm   30

looking 4word to seen more of this game 1st horror game I’m looking to 4word to get

Wyvern_777 13 December, 2011 @ 12:59 pm   31

Looks a lot more promising than what has become of the Resident Evil series these days. Naughty Dog never cease to amaze.

There is so much hype about this game already I hope it can live up to it but it should be in safe hands with naughty dog.

Come on I read this game is 2 year in development. Give us a bit more information about the game!

ieatpixels 13 December, 2011 @ 3:21 pm   34

Very glad with the way this game was revealed, all games should be announced like this. (secretly in production for years then announced with a trailer, brilliant.)

The interview didn’t add much, but I’m still really looking forward to this game.

carlosdfn 13 December, 2011 @ 3:32 pm   35

I’m so psyched for this, I need to see gameplay!

judgehusler 13 December, 2011 @ 3:32 pm   36

@chrisandsheva
In voodoo the main ingredient is the toxin used from puffer fish that deadens the tongue and lips, and induces dizziness and vomiting, followed by numbness and prickling over the body, rapid heart rate, decreased blood pressure, and muscle paralysis. The toxin paralyzes diaphragm muscles and stops the person who has ingested it from breathing thus giving the zombie affect! many back in the day who were presumed dead from intake of such substance were actually in a coma and woke to find themselves buried alive, when coffins were dug up they found scratch marks inside and this is where the living dead stuff arrived from. crazy but very interesting!

maddogarchie64 13 December, 2011 @ 5:05 pm   37

i can’t wait to get this

Connor_mufc_1985 13 December, 2011 @ 5:16 pm   38

To anyone that is looking forward to this game I have a couple of bits of info 1. it’s a cinematic 3rd person game 2. the release date is late 2012 early 2013
computerandvideogames.com is my source

chrisandsheva 13 December, 2011 @ 10:13 pm   39

Damm i thought that we were looking at a early to mid 12 release, especially hearing that they’d allready spent two years working on it, oh well will just have to wait.
Also if ND split into 2 teams then who was/is working on the vita game, had a look at some of it earlier and the voices didn’t sound the same, though i was using the ps browser so could be that, was a bit surprised to have the option, usually it’s just a white space with the words, this application isn’t supported… have to get the pc out and see if it looks and sounds the same.

@chrisandsheva, by “the vita game” I assume you were referring to Uncharted: Golden Abyss? If so, then it was actually a separate studio that worked on Golden Abyss, Sony Bend. Nolan North is still the voice of Drake though.

awesome game and can t wait to hear more from it

ZIPLOCK13 14 December, 2011 @ 4:52 am   42

Awesome , this is why i love SONY , i.e because they are innovators , they spend money on New top notch exclusives rather than stupid pointless 30 day exclusive deals like M$ ,
& they aren’t afraid to try new things like MAG & DC universe online

chrisandsheva 14 December, 2011 @ 6:09 am   43

@kapaka1 … thnx for info on Golden Abyss, i knew by the trailer it looked different, hopefully the studio that’s done the work have kept up the ND standards, Am just looking forward to getting my hands on it, both the vita and Golden Abyss, If the reviews remain as positive that is. oh well time for more caffiene, early start etc today.

wow this thing looks absolutely mind blowing!
it’s certainly not a “more of the same” type of thing. Can’t wait!

@16

of course its going to have a story the masters of storytelling nd is behind it :)

There’s already a Jak 4. The PSP game. It’s not by ND but it’s still a part of the series because it continues the story.

M7C7K7E7N7N7A7 17 December, 2011 @ 10:44 pm   47

I can not wait untill this game gets shown more. cant wait to see how it plays. big fan of uncharted and sony have great first party games

M7C7K7E7N7N7A7 17 December, 2011 @ 10:44 pm   48