Posted 2:47pm

Call to Arms! Starhawk Public Beta Begins Wednesday, January 18th!

Starhawk Logo

This past November/December we conducted the Private Beta for Starhawk. It has incredibly valuable to the team at LightBox and SCEA Santa Monica. We really appreciate all of the time that players spent finding bugs and glitches; we would have never been able to find many of them without real world gameplay. The Beta effort has been a true partnership with our community so we humbly thank you all. Without your help, we wouldn’t be able to progress to the next chapter in the development of the game, the Starhawk Public Beta!

We’re now happy to announce that the Starhawk Public Beta begins this coming Wednesday, January 18th for PlayStation Plus Subscribers in Europe. This is a crucial step for us as we’ll be testing all sorts of things, including game balance, server traffic, and general bugs. This is also a chance for more players to finally see what we’ve been working so hard on. As we’ve been getting so much support and encouragement from fans and press alike, we’re excited to spread the love and get more input to make the best game possible.

So the Public Beta schedule is as follows:

Who gets in and when?

January 18: All PlayStation Plus subscribers and all Private Beta participants (who haven’t erased their original Beta files).

February 1st: Uncharted 3 guys, you will receive an email on how to access the beta. In order to get this email you’ll have had to redeemed your Online Network Pass found inside the boxed copy and made sure you’ve opted into receiving marketing emails.

February 22: Everyone with a PlayStation Network account… in other words, everyone who wants in, gets in!

Make sure you keep a look out for other ways to access the Public Beta and remember to stay tuned to the blog and starhawkthegame.com for the very latest updates on Starhawk!

Starhawk

Beta FAQ

If I was in the Private Beta, am I in the Public Beta?

Is this a demo?
This is NOT a demo. You can expect to find bugs and the vast majority of the game features planned for the final game will not be implemented. Of course, many of you will not read this sentence and will expect the Beta to be final quality. We ask that the community help itself and remind players that this is a test. It happens to be a pretty fun test, but it is a test regardless. Keep an open mind and we’ll continue to regularly update the Beta with changes based directly on your feedback. Remember when you were a kid and you wanted to help make games? This is your chance!!!

When does the Public Beta end?
When the game is good and ready! :) Honestly, when we’ve learned all we can and feel we can deliver the best product to you. BUT it’s our recommendation that you do not delay joining or you might find your window of opportunity passing you by.

What’s different from the Private Beta?
We’re going to reveal more about the content updates soon enough. Patience, Padawan…

Will you test out the solo campaign?
Nope! The Public Beta is solely based around the multiplayer experience. While we have a robust solo story campaign in the final game, we can get our testing done elsewhere for that.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

31 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Agamer2006 13 January, 2012 @ 4:13 pm   1

Sounds awesome, I was in the private beta and I cant wait to jump right back in

Dante_Zero 13 January, 2012 @ 4:17 pm   2

i look forward to seeing whats been fixed. :)

Shillingford 13 January, 2012 @ 4:18 pm   3

WHAT is that vehicle in the image on the blog article! I want a go on that!!

“If I was in the Private Beta, am I in the Public Beta?
If you were in the Private Beta, you are in the Public Beta for the duration. DO NOT delete the Private Beta file from your PS3 or else you won’t have access. Worse…you will be…unhappy.”

Question:

I deleted my Closed Beta Data as soon as it ended to free up space, who wouldn’t? So i won’t be able to download this? Can’t i just hit up my Download list and redownload the closed beta again?

“and all Private Beta participants (who haven’t erased their original Beta files).”

Almost did that last night,i’m + so it’s not a problem,but my heart skipped a beat :) and in with Uncharted 3 :)

“Patience, Padawan…”

I do hope we get some form of ping or region info in the game lists this time around.

What you mean by Private Beta data? Downloaded file or the Saved data? Because I still have saved data of my starhawk progress but deleted downloaded data. So what exactly is needed between the both?

@Killcycle But you are Plus member, so you are in regardless :)

greekgoddj 13 January, 2012 @ 6:43 pm   8

I have one question… Will Starhawk support split screen and going online at the same time as was the same in Warhawk? That was the best thing about Warhawk!

Connor_mufc_1985 13 January, 2012 @ 6:45 pm   9

This and the Uncharted 3 flashback map pack 1 released on the same day wow : )

vonhammer 13 January, 2012 @ 7:08 pm   10

“Will Starhawk support split screen and going online at the same time as was the same in Warhawk”

It was in the options of the private beta,but it was locked.

The official announcement had this written in it
“up to four player online and offline co-operative play, and split-screen gameplay within multiplayer and co-op modes against an endless attack of enemies,”

greekgoddj 13 January, 2012 @ 7:28 pm   11

@vonhammer

Thanks for that..looking forward to the beta!!!

I was in the private beta and I deleted my saved game data and actual game. Looks like I won’t be in the public better then. Shame, as I really enjoyed my time in the private beta. :(

ALhammadi51 13 January, 2012 @ 8:11 pm   13

I love the Private Beta , & I can’t wait til January 18 . will there’s gonna be something new, maybe like new Vechicles .

H3KingHawk 13 January, 2012 @ 8:42 pm   14

awesome news!

shadowsen91 13 January, 2012 @ 9:17 pm   15

does anyone knows if there was a custom loadout in the private beta if there wasnt please i hope the directors of the game make one

Shadow_Warlock 14 January, 2012 @ 12:27 am   16

Still wondering what happened to getting a code with Uncharted 3, now I find out just because I don’t pay money for plus I’m being pushed aside again? It’s not Public until all of the public can play, this is still a closed beta.

Riftchopper 14 January, 2012 @ 1:11 am   17

I deleted my beta file the moment I realized that it was no longer working. I didn’t know that I would need it again. I thought that the open beta was next. Is there any way that I can get it on January 17?

jurgen_fool 14 January, 2012 @ 2:13 am   18

I rarely comment on articles on the playstation blog (but I frequently view them). I just had to say that was one of the best faq’s I’ve read in a while :D

Really looking forward to the beta. The gameplay footages of it has just made me want to play it even more :D

cant wait loved the private beta
hope the public beta is even better

i just hope when starhawk comes out
the online pass (probably will have one)
at least doesn’t lock out any local/LAN modes

kool-chris93 14 January, 2012 @ 6:58 am   20

So looking forward to playing again! :D

maddogarchie64 14 January, 2012 @ 9:11 am   21

cooooooooool

ThatGuyCalledJef 14 January, 2012 @ 11:36 am   22

super excited about this game :)

reddr1964 14 January, 2012 @ 12:09 pm   23

Heh,I’ve got my private beta files.

vonhammer 14 January, 2012 @ 4:22 pm   24

@greekgoddj No worries

@shadowsen91
Character customization menus were locked.But the game uses weapon pick up system thats tied into the build and battle.
So if you drop a sniper tower,you can climb it and get a sniper rifle.You drop a bunker you get grenades,shotgun,rocket launcer.
There was equipment on the maps,proxy mines and a repair/destroy tool.But weapons missing from the beta,these could be B&B’s or map placements.

Immortal-Wolf- 15 January, 2012 @ 4:25 am   25

Who Gives a flying @#$% Warhawk Starhawk whats next Oceanhawk oops did i just give away next project!!!

JakeCFC1992 15 January, 2012 @ 11:38 am   26

What is the download file size for the beta?

great blog

Connor_mufc_1985 15 January, 2012 @ 3:03 pm   28

@ Immortal-Wolf-
You Mad?

For those who deleted the beta – to redownload it go to account management, then download history. Should be there to download again

and another look after that first looking, at who can actually find a working server once they actually get given a beta code… Maybe I used the code and dl’ed the beta too soon after it came out to actually be able to find enough other gamers online…meh, that’s part and parcel of betaing product I suppose…

man looks awesome !!!