Posted 1:14pm

Online Features In ModNation Racers: Road Trip

I wanted to give the fingers of the talented blog managers a break this week so that I could talk about the robust online features in ModNation Racers: Road Trip. The team here in San Diego created an impressive list of online functionality to take advantage of the WiFi/3G and GPS functionality. This game is intended to let you take advantage of your road trips—whether they’re across the country, to another state or just traveling between home and work or school. More importantly, ModNation Racers: Road Trip was designed to work around your schedule and let you compete with your friends whenever (and wherever) you want.

1. Competitive Localised Leaderboards

When a gamer who has opted to “Use Location Data” posts a lap time to the Leaderboards, that time is connected to their current location. Gamers can personalise their location names (i.e., My Home, My Work, Mark’s House Where I Always Win, etc.) for easy reference. These times become part of the Local Leaderboards which gamers can use to compete in a fun arcade-style atmosphere.

Gamers can also select one of their saved locations and view other competitors’ times that were earned nearby. For example, if I earn a great time on “Construction Mayhem” while at “Mark’s House,” I can check my rank versus other gamers’ local times and more importantly, my friends… including Mark. The game would find the 8, 24 or 48 closest gamers to “Mark’s House” who posted local times for “Construction Mayhem.” This means you’ll have an ever-expanding level of challenge through asynchronous competition to play instantly when and where you want!

2. Continual Match-Making, Ghosts and Time Trials

Where ModNation Racers for the PS3 automatically matches gamers against one of the most difficult lap times in the community, ModNation Racers: Road Trip instead matches you against other gamers’ Ghosts who have set times which are competitive to yours. This continual match-making and the shorter play time of a single lap competition makes for a fun and constantly challenging online gaming experience. For those of us who are competitive with our friends, we can select a filter to race against friends’ ghosts.

An option on the Vita even allows you to receive a push notification whenever your time is beat or to boast to your friends when you beat theirs.

3. Travel Points: Time For A Road Trip… No Really…Seriously, get in your car, train or bus now.

The first time a gamer checks-in with Mod Explorer the game will recognise their location. Every time a gamer checks-in at any location after that they will earn Travel Points based on the distance from their last check-in. Individual gamers will then unlock additional parts for Track Studio when they reach certain amounts of Travel Points. There will also be an in-game leaderboard ranking gamers by the amount of Travel Points they have earned.

big ben

3a. Global Travel Points: Help Us Help You

Travel Points earned by every gamer are added together to form Global Travel Points. When the community of gamers reach certain distance milestone amounts of Global Travel Points everyone who uses Mod Explorer will unlock new track creation parts! This could be how world peace starts. Don’t you want to be a part of it?

explorer

4. Destination Check-ins: Better Than A Passport Stamp

Mod Explorer contains 45 featured cities across the globe–each city with three distinct destinations. When a gamer checks-in at a destination that they can find using PS Vita’s GPS functionality, they will unlock unique creation pieces to use in the creation studios.

In addition the entire ModNation Racers: Road Trip community is further rewarded when parts associated with the destination are unlocked for the global community of gamers. For example, if you check-in at Navy Pier in Chicago, you will unlock associated parts for your use. When the predetermined threshold of player check-ins at Navy Pier has been reached, a unique part is unlocked for ALL gamers. Other parts associated with Navy Pier will be unlocked for all gamers as the number of unique player check-ins increase there.

Finally, when a gamer checks-in at a destination, they are prompted to take a picture and modify it using their Mod and Kart. This is done with ModNation Racers: Road Trip – Mod Postcards feature (See last week’s US blog).

chicago

5. Ad-Hoc Play: It’s ModNation Party Time!

For those racers looking for that head-to-head experience with your friends, Ad-Hoc play is where it’s at. Up to four gamers can race simultaneously on any San Diego Studio track or choose from over 500,000 user created tracks from the ModNation Racers community. That ought to keep you busy for a millennium or so.

6. Race, Create, Publish and Download!

As you’d expect from a ModNation Racers game, you have incredibly strong creation studios literally at your fingertips to create anything in your imagination. Publish your creations for the entire community to enjoy. And if creation isn’t your thing, enjoy downloading anything published by the entire community. And to sweeten the deal, you have full backwards compatibility to download any of the over 3 Million creations from ModNation Racers PS3!!

I know there are some of you that are disappointed that ModNation Racers: Road Trip doesn’t let you play head-to-head online other than ad-hoc. But we really wanted to evolve online functionality and take advantage of the PlayStation Vita’s unique feature set in new ways. If all we ever did as developers is rehash features that have been done in previous games, we’d still be entering passwords instead of using save files and you’d have to start the entire game over after you lost your three lives (extra 1-ups aside).

While online head-to-head has been a mode used in many games in recent years, we focused on making a game that is crafted for how portable games are most often played—in quicker “pick up and play” sessions multiple times in a day. Your online interaction, competition and socialisation will always be when it’s convenient for you. I hope that all of you are as interested to check-out the robust online features that ModNation Racers: Road Trip has as we are to see you enjoy them!

Thanks for allowing me to write this week’s blog.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

44 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

SpitelordDekka 23 January, 2012 @ 5:06 pm   1

Am I reading that right? No online multiplayer?

HARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRno

uncleniccius 23 January, 2012 @ 5:07 pm   2

This would have been a release day buy, but instead i’ll buy Wipeout and wait till it’s cheaper. Why not multiplayer? :(

I would have bought this along with my PS vita, IF it had NORMAL ONLINE MULTIPLAYER!

That’s a terrible excuse for not including an online mode. Maybe it was an oversight, but to me it is a significant misjudging of an audience. I appreciate the effort put in to the other modes, but to me launching a Kart racer without an online mode is downright folly. Even Mario Kart 3DS had the sense to launch with it. Heck, even Modnation Racers for the PSP had it. Please, reconsider.

All the other modes are great, but wont be able to match the regular online play. The only thing I can see you guys didnt making this to the final version, is some technological impossibility, which doesnt make sense. ModNation is all about online matches, so its a critical feature that cant be compensated with other things.

So Im guessing the other promised feature playing online with PS3 ModNation version is aswell gone. I really hope for you guys, that the feature can be added via an update, otherwise, I cant see myself buying it.

RedPriestRezo 23 January, 2012 @ 5:36 pm   6

Was hoping to hear that you decided not to be stupid and to add online multiplayer. Oh, well. If you want your game to suck despite all the effort that went into it – I guess it’s your right…

CHRIZZYYY08 23 January, 2012 @ 5:39 pm   7

Wipeout 2048 for me they excuse for online multiplayer not to be on next generation hardware good luck anyway

Well thank you, I had to choose out of this or Rayman Origins for my first game (held off on origins to get vita version), and you know I chose ModNation as it but now I`m considering nevr supporting a ModNation game until they add Online Multiplayer like the should have.

Benjamin81 23 January, 2012 @ 5:57 pm   9

Seriously, head to head online play is now regarded as a rehash of old features? I’m sitting here shaking my head in disbelieve at probably the worst PR spin of 2012 and we are only halfway through january.

chrisandsheva 23 January, 2012 @ 6:02 pm   10

It’s a shame theres not going to be real multiplayer, But imo it’s a crime that you ‘attempted’ to justtify it with those words at the end of your blog. How about developing games you play blindfolded? If you really believe removing online options is a way forwards for devs, then I look forward to when you’s remove the need for ‘old fashioned’ visuals, kinda luke skywalker style (star wars).

vonhammer 23 January, 2012 @ 6:11 pm   11

“If all we ever did as developers is rehash features that have been done in previous games”

Mind blown,especially as it’s the third game in just over 2 years.

jetpacksheep 23 January, 2012 @ 6:19 pm   12

it looks a good game that ill probably get but multi-player is a big thing, someone should set up a petition to get the devs to update the game with online multi-player

jakster123x 23 January, 2012 @ 6:47 pm   13

Those features sound great, but online head to head play is sort of a staple for any racing game, and the reason people are a little disappointed and surprised by the lack of it here is because it’s such a standard mode.

What about the wonderful life where classic is married with new and innovative? What a world that’d be…

ruinereraser 23 January, 2012 @ 6:56 pm   14

“Robust online features” good joke :) I guess lack of online multiplayer is also “a feature”? :) Keep on living in the XX century matrix, Sony.

QuietlyWrong 23 January, 2012 @ 7:10 pm   15

Thank you for confirming the types of online functionality that are available, they help add to the picture. But the absence of online multiplayer is not a good thing. Please don’t put a positive spin on it. Better to just say that you didn’t have time to implement it this time.

We’d love to hear if you plan or hope to patch it in later, or even if ad hoc play will work with the PS3′s online ad hoc party (though it’s no use to me with my wireless connection).

SHAFTRULES 23 January, 2012 @ 7:12 pm   16

I will pick this up but only at a fraction of the price its at!or just get it pre owned.

AaronSOLDIER 23 January, 2012 @ 7:31 pm   17

Saf to say this game will flop now, congrats guys.

greekgoddj 23 January, 2012 @ 7:35 pm   18

No proper online head to head! Ouch! I suspect that will cost you some sales which is a pitty

Jamesyp00 23 January, 2012 @ 7:41 pm   19

I was going to pick this up day one as i really like game with customisation in it, but no online means no buy im afraid.

2 gripes I have with this:

1. No online multiplayer is a huge failing. Though I do see some reasoning behind the decision to exclude the feature you cannot deny it’s going to effect the experience of the game.

2. Destination Check-Ins is a great concept. In theory. I want to know that I can unlock every item in game. I’m not going to go to another country just so I can satisfy my need to have everything. Also, given where I live in Ireland I doubt this will even be supported for me.

Other than these, ModNation looks to be shaping up to be quite the game. I’m still looking forward to the game though I am disappointed by these features.

This game is definitely off my list now. im just gonna stick with the ps3 version, who in their right mind thought it was ok to leave the online racing out is beyond me. And dont get me started on Motorstorm RC. Talk about missed opportunities.

almighty-slayer 23 January, 2012 @ 9:31 pm   22

Worst and most hilarious excuse ever. All those sound great as an added extra to online multiplayer, but not instead of it. Next i suppose you’ll take away game saves… who needs those? rehashing old features!

maddogarchie64 23 January, 2012 @ 10:16 pm   23

just a terrible excuse for no online

What a laughably terrible excuse. To not only omit a staple gameplay feature, racing against other people in a racing game, but then to call that innovation? This is clearly a corner cutting decision to rush the release and nothing more. The level of intelligence you expect from your audience is insulting.

Play, create, share alone, it seems.

SamTheSkater 24 January, 2012 @ 12:28 am   25

I’m still gonna get this game. When I look back at how many hours I spent on the campaign of the original game unlocking everything, the creation station, these new features you mentioned and uploaded levels I wouldn’t consider this a bad purchase. But the online play of ModNation Racers on PS3 is one of the best I’ve ever played. So please add that feature to future ModNation Racers games.

Myst3rialP 24 January, 2012 @ 7:11 am   26

You should made a real online multiplayer instead of those “features”..

LOL at the excuse to not include multiplayer.

I think it’s a nice game… for 10 euros after the pricedrop somewhere in March :)

Love the fact that head-to-head multilayer is not in this game. It’s so dull and boring playing online anyway, I get sick of doing it in other games. Single player + high scores/leaderboards are the way to go IMO. :)

Online multiplayer does not suit a handheld, the whole entire reason I like handhelds is so that there isn’t any stupid online FPS’s and people inviting me to them all the time. I’m tempted to buy ModNation Racers for Vita now. :)

Your making a big mistake not putting online MP in, its clearly what everyone wants, you need to confirm it will be coming in a free patch before launch, or i and many others will be picking this up bargain bin time.

KillerXp82 24 January, 2012 @ 8:33 am   30

This is such a big disappointment, I can’t believe how clueless their being. I really hope they change their minds & patch in online multiplayer later on, this game doesn’t deserve to die just because they choose to ignore feedback.

I’ll be renting it as soon as I get my Ps Vita but won’t be buying till it’s patched with online. LOVEFiLM has Ps Vita games in the psp games rental section now ready to reserve.

CubeBlade15 24 January, 2012 @ 9:02 am   31

Clearly San Diego Studios have put a lot of effort into making this game. I’ll still buy this game.

Noisepurge 24 January, 2012 @ 9:04 am   32

no online multiplayer = not robust enough

Goffeentl 24 January, 2012 @ 9:27 am   33

Umm, hello? Racers since the dawn of Micro Machines have thrived on multiplayer. But since most homes won’t have four Vitas lined up next to each other, online is now an essential component – regardless of the developer’s waffle, missing that essential feature is a major fault that will see the game get caned in reviews.

Tridentmorph 24 January, 2012 @ 11:10 am   34

Who the dickens advised you that the last paragraphs were a good idea. Shocking spin.

Swapped my preorder to wipeout a few weeks back when the news first broke. Shame. May pick up cheap later on.

I absolutely love ModNation Racers… but I can’t see how anyone, neither publisher nor devs, thought it was a bad idea to remove head-to-head multiplayer. It’s what keeps the fun of ModNation Racers alive! Playing with friends in a custom created track at the same time.

I will get this game anyways eventually, but please consider patching multiplayer into it…

No online MP means I’m still not buying it. Seriously you devs need to realize we want this and do it.

Not purchasing till they add it.

Am I reading this right?

They wanted to evolve the experience… by removing multiplayer from a karting game!?

What planet are they on!? It’s only January and we already have a contender for the most ridiculous decision in 2012 already!

lol wow, good look on selling many copies with that kind of decision making.

bucho2012 24 January, 2012 @ 2:35 pm   39

What a rip-off! If they do not promise a patch that will include online multiplayer, I WILL NOT BUY THE PS VITA GAME THAT I WAS MOST EXCITED ABOUT. (and it seems no-one else will either)

i read that the developersaying that he is looking into adding an unpdate with head to head multiplayer, but we should request a statment from him that it will definetly happen. The statement “we will look into it” from my past experience with sony and other companies, means absolutley nothing!

Erich are you joking??? Come on, why don’t you say you don’t have time to include REAL online features??…That’s a pity…You have lost one customer…You deserve low sales for this game, I hope so!!

lion_judaz 25 January, 2012 @ 3:18 am   41

No online, no buy, i have the modnations racers of Psp with online.

ZackFair999 25 January, 2012 @ 3:44 pm   42

Are you kidding me? Really… “evolve” the online functionality by removing it?

Omg I thought that there will be no multiplayer in this game but I was reading an article few minutes ago and producer explained that there will be multiplayer up to three friends

ssorc_bro 28 January, 2012 @ 7:34 pm   44

Seriously, no online head to head ? Yeah, this was suppose to be my go to racing game, but guess I’ll be waiting until you guys decide to sober up and get to work on patching it in !!