Posted 7 February

Malicious Comes To PSN This Week

Malicious is an entirely original action game for the PS3. You are a “Spirit Vessel,” called into the world by the Prophets to vanquish evil. Armed with the “Mantle of Cinders,” a cloak that can absorb power from destroyed objects as well as shift form, you wage battle with the “Malicious.”

For this title, we focused on creating a simple action game that users did not have to dedicate themselves to, but could enjoy in short bursts. We’ve created stages that throw players into boss battles, and have allowed them to freely choose which stage they would like to begin with.

There is no lengthy dungeon crawling in Malicious, leaving it chock-full of boss battles only! The player is thrust into a battle royale as soon as he starts the stage! Every time you defeat a boss, you absorb the creature’s power and obtain a new ability. But what’s more is that you can choose whichever stage you want, in any order, giving you full control over your progress in the game!

And don’t forget the visuals. Oil painting-like colours and textures are used throughout the game and provide the player with a strong sense of fantasy, rooting them in the Malicious world.

Malicious will be released on the PlayStation Store on February 8th for £6.49/€7.99 with an additional 20% discount for PlayStation Plus subscribers for one week after launch. We hope you like it!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

39 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first

I downloaded this from the Japanese store, utterly brilliant game. I will download this again. Hugely recommended.

James, any idea when the Vita version will launch here?

James Gallagher 7 February, 2012 @ 2:16 pm

I don’t have a PS Vita version down on the release schedule at the moment, but the PS3 game will be available to download tomorrow.

does this game have ja dub or just the plain and boring eng dub.

i mean japanese dub.

James Gallagher 7 February, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

I asked the producer and the dialogue in the original game isn’t actually Japanese; it’s a made-up language that sounds a bit like Japanese, but isn’t, and it’s the same in the European version. So it’s a direct port with the original ‘dub’ in place.

Finally! :)

It runs at 30 or 60 FPS?

James Gallagher 7 February, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

I don’t know the technical details of the frame rate but it has a lovely hand-drawn art style and it runs very smoothly indeed.

chrisandsheva 7 February, 2012 @ 2:14 pm   5

@ Suzzopher.
wish i could read/write Japaneese, but alas, there isn’t any other way to ‘see’ whats on their store is there?. ie a close country to Japan that lets them use their store, but has option of choosing English language?, probably isn’t but had to ask. On topic of the game i do like the look and sound of it, but it can’t be right to be charging only that price for it, so whats the catch, will try the trial (if theres one), and take it from there. But does ‘look’ good.

ShadowDoGGG 7 February, 2012 @ 2:14 pm   6

I’ll swap the rubbish 3.0/10 simpsons arcade game that we still don’t have for this please.

Guillemots 7 February, 2012 @ 2:15 pm   7

GREAT NEWS!!!
Can’t wait :D

Finally a PSN game that I’m interested, great visuals and the character has personalty and style, looks great.

@ChrisandSheva

The Hong kong store has a lot of the content from the Japanese store, but it’s all in English.

PhantomOfOpera 7 February, 2012 @ 2:24 pm   10

Hi

Thanks for this.
It looks cool!

There are lots of games that have come out on the US PSN which I have not seen in UK yet.
Choplifter HD, Burgertime World, Apples to Apples, Scary Girl, Trine 2, etc.
Will these games be available in UK? I’ll rather you be honest as I can easily purchase a USA PSN card and purchase them from the US PSN but I’ll rather support the UK PSN store.
Tx for your reply.

SickMick_UK 7 February, 2012 @ 2:24 pm   11

James looks like a DMC style game what would you say it similar to.

James will there also be a post on the SEN news coming tomorrow.

James Gallagher 7 February, 2012 @ 2:35 pm

That comparison isn’t a million miles away; the combat is a little like a DmC or a Bayonetta – simple at first but with deceptive depth. It’s got a bit of SotC about it too, in that the focus is the bosses (some of which are huge) and you really have to think about how to beat them.

had been planning not to get anything for a while till after vita but this is getting bought tomorrow looks great

Hypercules 7 February, 2012 @ 2:36 pm   13

Awesome! Can’t believe its only $8. $6 for ps+, so I’m set. Definitely getting this. Looks cool.

will there be a demo??

chrisandsheva 7 February, 2012 @ 2:37 pm   15

@ eddibhoy
Thanks for reply, but i have tried that option, and though theres is quite a bit of extra Japaneese content including demos, it (the store) is not even close to what the Japaneese store has on offer, i guess it should be the best in the world considering, but i just wish they had English as a language choice. Another feature the Hong Kong store has that would be brilliant here, is the ability to sub to plus for 30 days, That would keep a lot of EU users happy, though i kinda understand why there reluctant to do same here, given the size and purchasing differences, thanks again for suggestion.

Faustofausto 7 February, 2012 @ 2:41 pm   16

Looks intresting… :)
There will be a demo or trial version?

The start of the clip was so good, then the combat started. Why cant they make more games for adults….so much crap for children.

Suzzopher 7 February, 2012 @ 2:49 pm   18

Oh, James.

Off topic, but while you’re here do you know if we’ll be getting Vita games earlier on the store like the Americans are? I ask as I don’t want to have to wait until 3pm to start downloading games to play on my system I would have purchased in the morning.

Failing that updating the store at say 10am on 22/2 would be acceptable.

Oh and buy Malicious people! It’s a really beautiful game with some nice combat.

chrisandsheva 7 February, 2012 @ 2:52 pm   19

I was also noticing a little similarity with DMC but though no couldn’t be, But you say there is, James i got to ask again whats the catch,?.. I mean if this games price was set at £8 (or higher) i’d be pretty certain i would be buying, but come on the price is just too good (to be true/real). I know that may sound strange, but sadly i have realised with psn games, like most things, you only get what you pay for, ‘Mostly’.

chrisandsheva 7 February, 2012 @ 2:53 pm   20

oh theres a video?, i am on browser.

donkiddik0 7 February, 2012 @ 3:10 pm   21

Every time you defeat a boss, you absorb the creature’s power and obtain a new ability, choose which ever stage you want, in any order
sounds like Mega Man

how many stages are there anyway??

the1free_man 7 February, 2012 @ 3:28 pm   23

All I can say is: YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!!!
I loved the look of this game the first time I saw a gameplay video. I’ve been meaning to ask if it will ever come to our shores lots of times. But then I kind of forgot about it because of the game dumping in the last few months.
But a single click on the RSS and it all came back.
And that price is insane. Day one buy for me.

G

uncleniccius 7 February, 2012 @ 3:51 pm   25

One question… IF I buy this tomorrow, will I get the Vita version free? :)

Carnivius_Prime 7 February, 2012 @ 4:10 pm   26

Boss battles are my least favorite part of any game, so a game that is purely just boss battle after boss battle? Pass.

jakster123x 7 February, 2012 @ 4:15 pm   27

Ah yes, remember seeing a video of this and thinking how great it looked; visually and gameplay-wise.

Good to see it make the transition to our Store and at such a good price, too.

noruraeus 7 February, 2012 @ 4:28 pm   28

Hi James,
Sorry for asking an off-topic question, but since you used to do the PlayTV updates, do you know if there are any plans for a Freeview HD version of the hardware? Been using and loving PlayTV from its launch, but I am now considering what to do as I want more HD content to go with my HD TV.

Excellent price.

Go2Hell66 7 February, 2012 @ 5:26 pm   30

any news on when this will be hitting the US PSN?

wardragon989 7 February, 2012 @ 5:29 pm   31

I wish I could download this tomorrow but I keep having that download list problem :( Its stopping me downloading any congtent from the store :(

ALhammadi51 7 February, 2012 @ 6:34 pm   32

will Jak and Dexter collection be available in ps store as digital download tomorrow , or we have to wait until February 24 , when the retail version be available .

Havnt heard of it until today admitlly but am soo gonna buy it tomorrow! ^-^b

Silent_Gig 7 February, 2012 @ 9:18 pm   34

Im looking forward to this so im hoping this annoucement isnt in vien and it disappears from the store before it even gets put on.

project359uk 8 February, 2012 @ 12:40 am   35

Battle system looks similar to Nier, will have to check it out.

:) looks like fun. Wish more games would aim for that visual style. And go for more interesting animation than mo-cap on flat floors. To take advantage of the fact that a virtual world isn’t real, I mean.

..Any news about Journey, James?

CHRiSK-UK 8 February, 2012 @ 12:28 pm   37

Will this game have a platinum trophy? Game looks interesting btw.

BlasterGeo 8 February, 2012 @ 1:05 pm   38

No it won’t have a Platinum trophy but it will have a Gold one :)
Oh and btw it’s size is 580-800 Mb i think :)
Already bought my 20 Euro Psn card :P

anybody know when it gonna hit the US store ??