Posted 14 February

The Pop Culture Secrets Of Worms Ultimate Mayhem

worms_ultimate_mayhem_product_logo

Hi everyone! “Worms™ Ultimate Mayhem” is being released this week on the PlayStation Store for PlayStation 3. In contrast to the Worms games released on PSN to date, it is a 3D version of the crazy turn-based strategy series; a “best of” compilation of the very best bits of Worms 3D and Worms 4: Mayhem. The game is crammed full with surreal weaponry, wacky customization options, tons of destructive single-player content and multiplayer options, trophies, and some really cool improvements to the original games, with enhancements and updates to the camera, the graphics, the audio and the aiming especially.

To celebrate this we thought it may be fun to reveal some of the many pop culture secrets that can be found within the levels and content! The game is packed to its destructive core with some affectionate, and sometimes surreal, film/pop cultural references, all scattered amongst the numerous themes and landscapes.

Here are just a few that we really like, see if you can spot any more! (We don’t make any apologies for the terrible puns contained below!):

‘Destruct and serve’

destruct_and_serve_1

Let’s party like it’s…err… 1955! Jump back in time with an iconic time-travelling car and also enjoy the town hall inspired by a scene from a very popular 1980s classic!

‘Nice to Siege You’

nice_to_siege_you_2

It may be Orc-less but this map is still very much in the vein of a famous siege battle scene from a notable fantasy trilogy, complete with walls, catapults and destructible weak spots. Relive the classic battle with worms…or just blow each other up with explosive sheep!

‘D-Day’

D_Day_4

Storm the beach in this silly spoof of the thrilling opening sequence of a critically acclaimed WW2 pic!

‘Plaice Holder’

plaice_holder_6

From a familiar sounding boat to an aquatic predator with a canister in his mouth, all the way through to a sunny beach poster, this level has plenty of jaw-dropping references to a 70s classic blockbuster!

‘Tree Trouble Village’

tree_trouble_village_5

Head up to the tops of the trees in this cute sci-fi village and see if you can spot the references. Maybe you can use the force to gain an unfair advantage?! That is the ‘Endor’ of the references, and I will stop ‘Jabba-ing’ on now…..

Worms Ultimate Mayhem will be priced at £9.99/€12.99 and PlayStation Plus subscribers will receive a launch discount.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

26 Comments 17 Author replies
Show oldest first
ALhammadi51 14 February, 2012 @ 7:16 pm   1

Nice

Add your comment here

AaronSOLDIER 14 February, 2012 @ 7:25 pm   3

Exclusive PS3 content since its launching later than other platforms?

Nicceee!!!

looks well ace, nice to get a ps plus discount too!

Demonicspawn 14 February, 2012 @ 10:03 pm   6

Yay Iv been waiting for this 1

thought id try this one again, any chance of worms blast coming out in a new hd style?

it had great gameplay and would be fab for online

Mark Baldwin 15 February, 2012 @ 11:03 am

Hi, we currently don’t have any plans for an updated/HD version of Worms Blast, but really nice to hear from fans who like it!

bennyrafal 15 February, 2012 @ 5:20 am   8

Long Long Long ago, when Amiga was major platform i did some raids on this game – 8h long, no breaks and lots of fun – now – not, bring Cannon fodder or SuperFrog…. but please dont make another FPSes out those ideas…

Mark Baldwin 15 February, 2012 @ 11:04 am

Hi, always nice to hear from Amiga fans, and if the 3D Worms games aren’t for you, then both Worms and Worms 2: Armageddon are great console 2D versions of the game that you may like?

skippz_king 15 February, 2012 @ 7:28 am   9

Will it be available to + members?

Are you guys planning any worms for vita?

Carnivius_Prime 15 February, 2012 @ 8:43 am   11

@bennyrafal Superfrog was by this company, yes. But Cannon Fodder was by Sensible Software which I think was bought up by Codemasters some years ago.

Mark Baldwin 15 February, 2012 @ 11:07 am

Hi, thanks, yes Superfrog was by Team17, but we didn’t do Cannon Fodder, and that was indeed by Sensible Software.

Catkiller1 15 February, 2012 @ 10:24 am   12

@ Hayzink

I agree, Worms Blast would be a great addition to own! I had alot of fun with that title on the PS2.

@ Carnivius_Prime

With regards to Sensible software, you’re indeed correct! I would love to see Superfrog remastered, TEAM 17 MAKE THIS HAPPEN!

Cannon Fodder 1 & 2 bundle, Sensible World Of Soccer & the Dizzy series, would be the icing on the cake if Codemasters would consider it!

Mark Baldwin 15 February, 2012 @ 11:08 am

Thanks, we often get requests and a lot of love for the fondly remembered Superfrog…we have no plans at the moment…but never say never… :-)

bennyrafal 15 February, 2012 @ 11:10 am   13

Damn my bad ;) still this version of cannon fodder was bad;)
i did google about sensible soccer and they reinvented this IP some time ago…

man start a kickstart campaign for worms blast lol

Catkiller1 15 February, 2012 @ 11:21 am   15

@ Mark Baldwin

Well make plans for Superfrog then please! Come on, chop, chop ;)

Don’t forget that Worms Blast would make a great addition too, so is there any possibility of a release, anytime soon?

Mark Baldwin 15 February, 2012 @ 11:58 am

Hi, thanks for your enthusiasm about Superfrog, I will feed back to the team here that there is still interest in the caped amphibian and Worms Blast, can’t promise anything though of course… :-)

spoony_123 15 February, 2012 @ 11:56 am   16

instatnt buy!!!!! :D

I’m on the edge of a buy, is there a demo?

Found a demo on XBLA, will buy on PS3 if I like it though.

Catkiller1 15 February, 2012 @ 12:41 pm   19

@ KylieDog

Check out this Youtube Video that showcases the greatness, that is Worms! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y416pfdkKSY

PS+ Discount?

Worms 3D, i remember waiting forever when this was coming to PS2. Defo buy for me, plus the Girlfriend quite happily plays worms games! Great Stuff! Work on a PS VITA title ;) ‘Worms: Touch’ i can see it now!

Carnivius_Prime 15 February, 2012 @ 3:04 pm   21

I’ll buy this later on I reckon when I’ve got some more local friends into these kinds of games. Worms is alright online but it’s just not the same as when you’ve got a bunch of buddies over with pizza and cola (yeah, yeah I know, I quit the booze years back) and when a player acts just a bit too smug in victory you can give him a real physical punch in the arm to shut him up. I do have Worms 1 and 2 already on my PS3 though..

Catkiller1′s suggestion of raiding the Sensi/Codies back catalogue would be nice but obviously I’m in the wrong place for that so I’ll just add a bajillion more votes for a return of Superfrog. :) Even just porting the original game as a cheap Mini would be nice to get new fans and gather more interest in a full on sequel.

Mark Baldwin 15 February, 2012 @ 3:14 pm

Thanks, good to hear, and the positive feedback on a Superfrog revamp is nice, will feed this back!

Catkiller1 15 February, 2012 @ 3:37 pm   22

@ Mark Baldwin

Any chance you could push the store to discount the Worms 2 Armageddon DLC packs again please, as I missed them the first time round? :)

Mark Baldwin 15 February, 2012 @ 3:52 pm

Hi, I am sure that the DLC packs will be discounted at some point this year in one of the big Store sales.

Catkiller1 15 February, 2012 @ 3:57 pm   23

Thanks Mark, i’ll hold off until then :)

Buying this today! I loved Worms 4 (not so much Worms 3D)!

Catkiller1 17 February, 2012 @ 9:29 am   25

I have purchased & installed ;)

Will play it sometime over the weekend!

Will this game be a bit cheaper on may 31st so I can get this epic game for my birthday?