Posted 12:00pm

PlayStation.Blog Recap

Like an expecting father updating his facebook status before a dash to the hospital, this is my last PlayStation.Blog recap before we welcome a new addition to the PlayStation family: PS Vita. After talking about it for what seems like so long, I can’t wait to see PlayStation Vita in the hands of real gamers.

If you’re one of those twitterers then please let us know the moment you grasp your new console using the hashtag #gotmyvita. We want to see pictures of you in the shop queue, first impressions of your launch game, YouTube videos of you unboxing your new console and barely discernible exclamations of joy. On launch day I’ll be pulling all of this into a special blog post that will curate all of the PS Vita chatter and join in the discussion.

Until then, here’s your recap.

Playstation EU

• Weekend Essentials 113 - Step inside the Octagon on PS3 this weekend, download the Mass Effect 3 demo from PlayStation Store and prepare for the coming of PlayStation Vita.
  • Ask a question about PS Vita games and win – Put your questions to Shuhei Yoshida, president of SCE Worldwide Studios and win a copy of MotorStorm RC.
  • First look: Far Cry 3 - Discover why choice is your key to surviving trouble in paradise on PlayStation 3.
  • Top Tips: The Darkness II – Master the darkness and battle the Brotherhood in style with these enlightening tips from Digital Extremes lead designer, Tom Galt.

Official PlayStation Magazine - UK

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

43 Comments 13 Author replies
Show oldest first

cant wait for Jak and Daxter. Ive been waiting 5years for this moment

JAMES!!!!!!!!!!! SINCE THE UPDATE 4.10 (UPDATER BROWSER) IT TAKES ABOUT 20 SECONDS TO LOAD IT UP AND 20 SECONDS TO CLOSE IT FULLY! ALSO THE PS BLOG IS UNBERIBLE SLOW NOW!!!!! PLEASE FIX THIS ISSUE JAMES!!!!!!!

James Gallagher 18 February, 2012 @ 9:02 pm

We are working to improve the blog on the updated PS3 browser – bear with us.

uncleniccius 18 February, 2012 @ 12:14 pm   3

Any idea what time the PS Store will update on Wednesday? It SHOULD be at midnight for those dedicated fans! Mine won’t arrive till later on, on wednesday, and I may not have it at all until thursday :(

James Gallagher 18 February, 2012 @ 9:03 pm

My understanding is it will be live in time for the launch on Wednesday, fear not.

guitardevil6 18 February, 2012 @ 12:18 pm   4

@3 Jawad announced that the store will update at midnight on launch day.

James! I haven’t seen this asked anywhere else, but you please comment or at least cheekily hint at the possibility of resurrecting the comics store for PS Vita?

I didn’t get the chance to use it before, cause didn’t have a PSP. But I would be a regular customer, and I’m sure a lot of other people will want to see that store again! Please! :D

uncleniccius 18 February, 2012 @ 12:24 pm   5

@4 Really?? Can I see a link/ where this info is please??

uncleniccius 18 February, 2012 @ 12:40 pm   7

@6 thanks for the help! :)

manutreble 18 February, 2012 @ 1:12 pm   8

the hustle kings deal on PSVITA is awesome i have it on ps3 & won’t need to buy it again & question will psvita support play station plus james.?

James Gallagher 18 February, 2012 @ 9:05 pm

I don’t know what the PS Plus plans are for PS Vita, but I know that a lot of people are asking and I’m pushing try and get some info for you.

Hell-Raiser-85 18 February, 2012 @ 1:16 pm   9

Not long now cant wait. Why dont EU have 32gb memory cards and whens the youtube app coming?

Alex-1124 18 February, 2012 @ 1:25 pm   10

@2 It’s not that bad, only takes slightly longer to load which is no biggy, it may well be you internet connection if it takes 20+ seconds as it only takes me around 3-5 seconds max.

@9 YouTube is coming to the Vita if not at launch, I’m sure it’ll not be long after.

Chr15toff3e 18 February, 2012 @ 2:09 pm   11

No weekend debate? Good! I don’t see the point in rewarding people with codes when some of those people who win, rip into the SCEE team on a daily basis. I don’t mind giving my opinion for free
without the incentive of a free game or DLC, and let’s be fair, how many people posted last weekend when there was no free codes available?

James Gallagher 18 February, 2012 @ 9:06 pm

I’m sorry, I simply ran out of time on Friday due to all the prep for the PS Vita launch next week. If you have any ideas for future debates then please do share – it’s no small task coming up with fresh ones every week.

Chr15toff3e 18 February, 2012 @ 2:12 pm   12

^^ I’d definitely not win anyway with that sort of presentation. :)

fjernbetjening 18 February, 2012 @ 2:22 pm   13

@9 I post everytime there’s a weekend debate, whether there’s a reward or not.

Although, I don’t mind winning a free game or two ;-)

There’s only 1 weekend debate I haven’t participated in, (at least from what I can remember), these past 3 months. And that’s just beacuse I didn’t bring my computer for the weekend.

Interesting fact: 10 of the 18 PS Vita games reviewed so far by IGN have scored 8/10 or more. 4 games already have 9/10 or more!

Well I thought it was interesting… and worth sharing!

A really strong launch line up then – I was already impressed but the titles/number/variation, but it’s great to see the quality is there in spades too.

James Gallagher 18 February, 2012 @ 9:07 pm

Great observation, thanks for sharing. We’re very proud of the launch line-up – there’s a wide range of genres in there and great quality across the board.

I wasn’t going to order a Vita but I caved in.

I got the Gamestop.ie offer. Vita wifi, 16GB memory Card and Uncharted bundle.

Then I got the Jak Collection on Friday.

My poor wallet.

chrisandsheva 18 February, 2012 @ 3:10 pm   16

James.. regarding the latest firmware update, i get signed out of the blog, need to sign back in etc every time i close the internet option on the ps3, I seen another comment saying a similar thing, can you let us know if this is now standard, or just a minor bug, my android app keeps me signed in after i close/reopen that, and it is a small inconvenience atm, but like most things IF this is now the norm, But nobody bothered to tell us it will escalate into a problem, i know that a cookie ‘used’ to keep you logged in, Is this now changed, or are ‘just some’ of us affected, appreciate some clarification if you can, thnx.

James Gallagher 18 February, 2012 @ 9:11 pm

I’ll investigate. We are working on improving the blog on the PS3 browser and will factor your report into that.

chrisandsheva 18 February, 2012 @ 3:14 pm   17

regards ‘possible’ comment no16. 3.10pm, in the voice of j mcnenroe, tennis player, (entertainer), comment awaiting moderation…. You Cannot Be Serious..

When will we get some new PS3 music visualisation (not developed by Q-Games)?

James Gallagher 18 February, 2012 @ 9:09 pm

I personally think it’s a great idea and I’ve shared that internally. However, there is nothing on the horizon at present.

DAYDANNY666 18 February, 2012 @ 4:43 pm   19

@taurus82 play your music then open the ps3 browser and go on you tube and find some visualisation and then just mute the sound on youtube.

Welcome PSVita to the PlayStation Family;)

Wooh there is SCEE doing over time getting ready for vita, you still at SCEE towers james i know the vita is soon upon us but why late in the day, for answer.

i decided now to get a vita like i said in cross play thread that really decided for me, so hopefully in a month time i get 1 with uncharted & maybe order the 32gb mem card from online.

ps i too me cookies have failed to keep me log-on :(

Hi James, I was wondering if any trophies earned on the PS Vita count towards your trophy level on PS3? It’s just that I’ve got a decent trophy level on PS3 and I don’t want to start all over again. Please Reply! Thank you.

#21: I imported the PS Vita from Japan and can confirm that the Vita trophies you earn counts towards the same total as the ones you get on the PS3.

At present, you can’t see the Vita trophies from the PS3, but you’ll see that your trophy level, amount of trophies and so forth increases. Hopefully this will be fixed so we can see both PS3 and Vita trophies on the PS3 one day. You see both on the Vita.

@ James Gallagher

I love everything PlayStation:P Anything PlayStation excites me even 14 years on when i got my 1st PlayStation the PS1;)

SHAFTRULES 19 February, 2012 @ 9:45 am   25

flash support,YouTube app & ps+ for my ps vita PLEASE!!!!!!

Carnivius_Prime 19 February, 2012 @ 11:24 am   26

Ok I played Uncharted Golden Abyss on a Vita at Gamestation yesterday and felt very tempted to run out of the store with it. It’s a lovely machine and Uncharted’s the most gorgeous looking game I’ve ever seen on a handheld device. I have to get me a Vita real soon. No idea how to afford one right now though. Not so keen on that Little Deviants though. I just couldn’t get the hang of the touchpad hill rolling control system thing.

jakster123x 19 February, 2012 @ 11:36 am   27

Welcome back, Jak.

@DAYDANNY666
…or SONY could pay SOUNDSPECTRUM to develop PS3 VERSIONS of their G-FORCE, WHITECAP and AEON visualisations, Simples!!!

mr_xzibit 19 February, 2012 @ 1:52 pm   29

Add your comment here

Mattsta001 19 February, 2012 @ 1:54 pm   30

Hi James, the blogshare thing on the US blog, does SCEE get ideas from that as well? Because I think people would like to see a lot of games by UK/European devs come to the PS3 and I wonder how proactive SCEA are. I just saw a rumour that the game by the UK outfit TheChineseRoom is being considered for PS3. They made the game Dear Esther which has received a lot of praise and I really want to see their games on PS3. Would also like to see SCEE approach Frictional Games about getting their games on PS3 too. Please pass the message on to whoever is responsible.

I have a question regarding the Wipeout 2048 dlc. I know i need to get the version of HD&Fury for ps3 from the store (currently have the disk version) but which versions on the store works for this. Can i buy the combined pack from the store (thats about £18) or do i need to buy both seperatly?

prycestation3 19 February, 2012 @ 3:09 pm   32

When are the discount codes being sent out? For the Vita.

lengendaryboss 19 February, 2012 @ 10:38 pm   33

Just seen the first Vita Ad on TV Looking Good. 3 Days Left

HamptonDX88 19 February, 2012 @ 11:38 pm   34

I possibly get my Vita tomorrow. Ordered the 16gb mem card, 3G/Wifi version, starter pack and Uncharted :D

James Gallagher 20 February, 2012 @ 9:38 am

See you online, and if you use twitter then let us know via the hashtag #gotmyvita. I’ll be retweeting all the best comments and piccies, and using them in a special launch blog post on Wednesday.

Bumblebee 20 February, 2012 @ 2:14 am   35

My local Game store (Reading, in The Oracle) has CANCELLED their midnight opening for the Vita launch! I only found out by chance. I’m effing furious; I only ordered it from them because of the promise of midnight opening! Not only that, but if I buy it next door at HMV I get Uncharted for free. I worked out I’ll save a tenner if I do that, even losing my £25 deposit… if you get a free 4gb card too, I think I’ll do that. I might buy it from HMV anyway and then go into Game and tell them that they can stick their stupid shop. It’d have been worse if I’d turned up at midnight with £300+ only to be banging desperately to be let in.

I’m disgusted with Game… I don’t think they deserve my money. They’ve annoyed me before by trying to sell me Platinum games in non-Platinum boxes ["It's the same thing mate"; not to me it isn't you cretin] so I think I’m done with them now.

Bumblebee 20 February, 2012 @ 2:20 am   36

Oh, and Game also have tried to palm me off before… I was buying – cough – Lego Harry Potter for er, my girlfriend… oh okay, it was for me… with “Free! Harry Potter & The Philosopher’s Stone on Blu Ray with this special edition!”… plenty of boxes out on the shelf… take it to till… they switch it for a non-special edition with no free Blu Ray and stick it straight in the bag. Well, I’m more astute than that so I asked…

“is that the same one you just put in my bag… the one that comes with the film?”
“nah, we ran out of that ages ago.” …then asks for my money.
“that’s not the one I picked up off the shelf. I’m not interested”. So I just walk straight out the door.

I didn’t even care about the film really, I just wanted a game I can play with my girlfriend, who was not a gamer (at that time… she is now… thanks mostly to Plants v Zombies and House of The Dead… girl seems to like zombies, what can I say?)… anyway, it’s the principle. Don’t try a switcheroo on me.

The more I think about it, the less I want to give Game my money.

guitardevil6 20 February, 2012 @ 10:25 am   37

James, when they were no longer updating the comics store, they said to look out for it on other Sony platforms. Will the store be coming to Vita? And do you have a timeframe?

Catkiller1 20 February, 2012 @ 10:26 am   38

If anyone is interested in Street Fighter X Tekken then purchase here: http://goo.gl/4eOI0

For only £3 more, you can pick up the Special Edition! ;)

guitardevil6 20 February, 2012 @ 10:32 am   39

@Bumblebee, a friend tried to buy a new release on launch day from them recently, and they stated that from now on if you don’t preorder a game, then you can’t buy it in store.

I’m sure they’re gonna lose even more money with that system.

As for your deposit, you should contact them. I think I read over on amazon forums that someone cancelled their Vita preorder and then was told they could use their deposit on launch day for something else in the shop. So you could get another Vita as well.

guitardevil6 20 February, 2012 @ 10:32 am   40

*Vita game

Catkiller1 20 February, 2012 @ 11:30 am   42

Sorry forgot about the character restriction….DOH!

The US Blog still won’t let me log-in via the PS3′s ‘updated’ browser, please fix this!