Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 1:59pm

Fuel Overdose (Tactical-Action-Racing) Coming To PSN

My name is Skander Djerbi, I’m a member of I-Friqiya, a tiny indie team located in Tokyo and in charge of Fuel Overdose. In our team there is Ryo our graphic designer, Jérôme our game designer/level designer/programmer, Hideyuki our character designer while Aroun and I are the producers of the game.

To cut a long story short, we used to work for big publishers and we decided to venture into indie game development in 2010 because we thought we could bring something new to the table; what we are bringing you is Fuel Overdose.

Fuel_Overdose_2

Our ambition with this game is to bring back retro, top-down combat racing, but with a twist; that’s why we like to think of our project as a “Tactical Action-Racing” game.

Action

We are not inventing the combat racing genre – we played most of them on consoles and PC over the past 15-20 years, and it appeared very quickly during our first meetings that there was no point trying to develop a remake of these games. But we also realized that there were some essential ingredients that we had to keep, so you will find in Fuel Overdose all the classic and upgradable weapons such as machine guns, rockets and mines.

Fuel_Overdose_4

But when you think of it, most combat racers are essentially based on these weapons, so one of our biggest challenges was to propose action game mechanics that go beyond the “shoot and drop” system. That’s how we came up with the bomb detonators and grapples. The grapple is one of my favorite items because there are many ways you can use it, and I can assure you that you will quickly find yourself trying to invent new ways to manipulate it.

Fuel_Overdose_7

With primary weapons, bomb detonators and grapples, we also added one last ingredient in our action package: it’s a whole fighting system, inspired by the beat ‘em up genre, that offers unique skills and attacks for each character.

Tactical

We love combat racers for their reversals of situations, and for the special items that can change your position in a heartbeat. But sometimes we feel frustrated because we feel that the AI is cheating or because the gameplay doesn’t leave any room for meritocracy. With Fuel Overdose we are leaving no room for luck, and each decision has a real impact on your chance of success. In Fuel Overdose you will never find items that magically pop up along the road and each racer has a limited budget to load his weapons, so if you find yourself without any ammo with one lap to go, you can only blame yourself.

Fuel_Overdose_5

By putting the focus on race strategy we tried to propose a more mature game experience where your decision making process can determine your success or your failure. And this notion of strategy is present all over the game – in the berserk gauge; in the grapple that you can use in different ways; when customizing your ride; when deciding how much you want to bet for the race danger event…
In Fuel Overdose you will have to make choices and take decisions before and during the race. There are no perfect decisions but it’s important to remain consistent in your choices and priorities.

Fuel_Overdose_6

Racing
Fuel Overdose is not a combat arena game. Fuel Overdose is at its core a racing game where, most of the time, the objective is to finish the race first. I’m saying ‘most of the time’ because, as you will see in our future announcements. we also have a game mode that features other kinds of objectives.

Fuel_Overdose_1

As a racing game, the game proposes several types of vehicles and customization options so you can improve the performances and modify the driving style of your ride. Speaking of driving style, I should mention that whether you are more drift style or more grip style, even though Fuel Overdose is an arcade racer, we have focused special attention on developing a driving experience that would be both intuitive and fun.

I hope I managed to explain you what kind of game experience we are trying to create. But there are so many things I haven’t explained yet, like the game mechanics offered by the grapples, the different choices and decisions you’ll have to make, the game universe, the auction events, the characters, the vehicles, the special attacks, the game modes…. So stay tuned for future updates.

Fuel_Overdose_3

You can keep up to date with Fuel Overdose on our dev diary and follow me on Twitter @SkanderDjerbi

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

32 Comments 13 Author replies
Show oldest first
grimbarian 28 February, 2012 @ 2:08 pm   1

Looks interesting – If you can make it as fun/exciting and addictive as Motorstorm R/C you’ll have a customer here…

…price dependant of course. (Any info on that?)

Catkiller1 28 February, 2012 @ 2:12 pm   2

Will have to research some gameplay videos, as the screenshots aren’t exactly….appealing!

As with grimbarian, any info on price & release date please?

Is this for PS3 or for Vita?

is this playable on vita?

thepontman 28 February, 2012 @ 2:33 pm   5

Death Rally Clone ?

i do hope you devs will consider the VERY low price of motorstorm rc before the pricing of this title. And with the soon release of mashed 2. You better have something up your sleeve

This looks like a title that would be perfect for a dual PS3/Vita “buy one get both” release like Motorstorm RC. Hopefully this is the route the developers choose, or if not, it at least gets a Vita version.

@mr_xzibit

Dammit, Mashed 2, forgot all about that, damb i loved the first one.

DrSHREEVEERA 28 February, 2012 @ 3:21 pm   9

Totally makes sense to release it on the VITA…

WILL IT BE PLAYABLE ON THE PS VITA.. IF SO, I SHALL BUY IT DAY ONE!!!

grimbarian 28 February, 2012 @ 3:23 pm   10

This game is going to draw obvious comparisons with Motorstorm R/C, despite being a different style of game.

So, to the developers, one of the most influential things that led me to buy Motorstorm R/C (on day 1 without downloading the trial), was the willingness of the developers to spend time on the blog backing up their publicity posts with answers to potential customers questions.

They showed a genuine care and enthusiasm for the game they had created and wanted to share that with like minded individuals.

That and the price.

Any answers to the questions your potential customers have put to you?

James Gallagher 28 February, 2012 @ 3:43 pm

I’ve dropped a line to Skander and the team and I’m sure they will pop on and respond, just be aware that they are based in Tokyo, so it might not be until later tonight/tomorrow morning.

TheNarrator 28 February, 2012 @ 3:27 pm   11

after enjoying Motorstorm RC, im totally up for trying Fuel Overdose. looks like a fun game and sounds like its got some depth. also looks lovely, colourful and detailed from those screenshots too, which is a big draw 8).

as others have said, MSRC has kinda set a benchmark for pricing and content (especially for top down racing games ;)), hopefully this game takes that into consideration.

grimbarian 28 February, 2012 @ 3:45 pm   12

Thanks James.

Oh – and your times on Motorstorm R/C are mental. I don’t think I’m good enough to hit them. :-)

SSJ3_Bob_Marley 28 February, 2012 @ 4:02 pm   13

Is offline 4 player splitscreen in the game?

DrSHREEVEERA 28 February, 2012 @ 4:26 pm   14

I’m asking once again.

Will this be Playable or ported over to the PS VITA. That would be too good.

Carnivius_Prime 28 February, 2012 @ 4:55 pm   15

Looks good. Hope it’s more fun than Motorstorm RC which to be honest I was pretty disappointed with. It’s an ok game but not great. I’ve loved every single previous Motorstorm game though.

Skander Djerbi 28 February, 2012 @ 5:17 pm   16

Hi everybody,

Sorry for the delay.

So many comments already! By the way thanks again James for giving me the opportunity to discuss with the Playstation blog community)

Ok so where should I start?

1. Fuel Overdose is for PS3. I would lie to you if I told you that we weren’t thinking about developing a PS Vita version, but so far it’s only for PS3.

2. Well regarding Motorstorm RC…:). First I kinda expected to see comparisons between the two games, but they are very different as Motorstorm is a pure racing game while Fuel Overdose is more an action racing game. In some way Fuel Overdose is closer to Modnation racers.

3. Gameplay videos: We are working of the first trailer that will give much more details regarding the gameplay. So far the only video that was broadcasted is a teaser of a pre-Alpha version. If you compare it with the screens you’ll notice a couple of changes :).

Skander Djerbi 28 February, 2012 @ 5:20 pm   17

4. The price is not decided yet, and yes we are taking into account Motorstorm’s price as much as we consider the prices of other games on the PSN. But I’m don’t want to bulls**t you and tell you that we’ll have the same price as Motorstorm, because we can’t for many reasons. I’m gonna mention two of them. I don’t know how far I can go into details here, (James ? :) ) but the two games don’t have the same business model as we are a third party publisher (which means that we share the revenues of our game with Sony) and because Fuel Overdose is a self published project, it hasn’t been developed as a system seller which means that our revenues come exclusively for the sales of our game. Anyway you’ll see when we unveil more details regarding the game and the price, would be more than happy to rediscuss about this.

5. Death Rally: this is one of the games that inspired us most. I’m a big fan of that game on PC. Rock’n’Roll racing was also a great source of inspiration. But the objective of Fuel Overdose is not to propose some kind of HD remakes of these game, we tried to bring back the top-down view action racing genre and bring some gameplay innovations at the same time.

Skander Djerbi 28 February, 2012 @ 5:20 pm   18

6. Split screen / multiplayer: I can’t get into details right now, but I think that you guys would be disappointed if there was no multiplayer mode in the game :).

@12

Yeah, I hear that! Every time I finish a race on motorstorm RC, all I see is: ‘LoveWhale thrashed you at this’, and ‘LoveWhale trounced you at that’ :P

James Gallagher 28 February, 2012 @ 5:44 pm

What can I say… the ridiculous name is just to rub the humiliation in harder!

Carnivius_Prime 28 February, 2012 @ 6:12 pm   20

I had Rock N Roll Racing on SNES. Fun game. :)

Skander Djerbi 28 February, 2012 @ 6:34 pm

I love this game so much that I even re-bought it at Akihabara (Tokyo) for my personal collection a couple of years ago :)

Carnivius_Prime 28 February, 2012 @ 6:15 pm   21

By the way, any chance of a movie Optimus Prime style blue and red flames optional livery for that truck in the third screenshot? Other games such as Burnout Paradise have cars resembling Bumblebee and Barricade, it would just be neat. :)

Skander Djerbi 28 February, 2012 @ 6:39 pm

Hey hey, you’re not the first one telling me that out truck looks like Optimus Prime. If you like red flames I suggest you to combine it with the racer called Hayden :)

Sure the truck will be in our coming trailers

@SkanderDjerbi

Guri_Tricolor 28 February, 2012 @ 6:18 pm   22

This looks very promising!
Death Rally was awesome, so I’ll keep a close eye on this one for sure!
About the price, got to say, as soon as I saw this posted I was hoping for a “motorstorm price”… but after those comments, and specially the “I’m don’t want to bulls**t you”, I’m waiting for this with open arms :)

Skander Djerbi 28 February, 2012 @ 6:42 pm

I totally agree with you. This game is really cool. Not a big fan of the IOS version though.

Regarding the price I prefer to be honest from the beginning and avoid misunderstandings.

@SkanderDjerbi

grimbarian 28 February, 2012 @ 6:43 pm   23

@Skander D

Many thanks for taking the time to come on and answer those questions.

Very appreciated.

Skander Djerbi 28 February, 2012 @ 6:47 pm

You’re welcome Grimbarian, it’s a real pleasure to discuss with you guys.

If I can be of any help please let me know.

@SkanderDjerbi

Tecnoboy1 28 February, 2012 @ 6:44 pm   24

Very interesting, don’t have much space on my HDD left though so what kind of size are you looking at? 200-440Mb?

Skander Djerbi 28 February, 2012 @ 7:55 pm

I don’t have the exact size in mind right now but 440 Mb should be enough to host Fuel Overdose on your PS3.

@SkanderDjerbi

Blenderernz 28 February, 2012 @ 7:49 pm   25

Game looks awesome, looking forward to it :) Does it have stereoscopic 3d support?

Skander Djerbi 28 February, 2012 @ 7:58 pm

Thank you. Great to see such support from New Zealand.

Stereoscopic 3D? Unfortunately not.

@SkanderDjerbi

After reading your blog and answers to posted questions, i think this is going to be a day one purchase from me. It looks like a really fun game. :)

Skander Djerbi 29 February, 2012 @ 8:44 am

Thank you Lum26, I hope we won’t disappoint you.

@SkanderDjerbi

Catkiller1 29 February, 2012 @ 10:06 am   27

@ Skander Djerbi

Thank you for taking the time to discuss in detail some aspects of the game. I think £7.99 is a fair price?? ;)

It’s good to see colleagues from development teams & companies, respond to questions on this Blog.

Here’s some trailers: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rZ6RDo4NXU0

Skander Djerbi 1 March, 2012 @ 8:38 am

Hi Catkiller1,

You’re welcome. And please shoot if you have any other question.

That video is a teaser of a pre-Alpha version, the game looks much better now. Please note also that the quality of the screens on this post has been downgraded, if you google Fuel Overdose you will find the screens in their original quality.

Best

@SkanderDjerbi

Thanks for the answers Skander, hope we ‘ll see a Vita version as this will probably mean day-1 purchase for me. Not that I would delay buing it for PS3 for too long, haha.

Skander Djerbi 1 March, 2012 @ 8:49 am

Hi ModusAm,

Actually I don’t think we will launch a Vita development before the release of the Ps3 version. We are a small team and so far we can’t handle several projects simultaneously. Last, and to be honest with you, if the game doesn’t reach its objectives in terms of sales on Ps3, it would be difficult to consider a Vita version. So please don’t hold your ps3 purchase thinking that a vita version would come :) .

@SkanderDjerbi

You don’t see a developer giving all these details and answering people’s questions (and not avoiding them) everyday: I appreciate it. Thank you!

I love Death Rally: I played it first on DosBox as a shareware version, then I found out that a free complete version for Windows existed and I played a lot with it. Great game!

If Fuel Overdose is this kind of game and even better I’ll buy it for sure!

Skander Djerbi 1 March, 2012 @ 8:56 am

Hi kilonen,

Same as you, I discovered that game through the shareware version.

Indeed, I forgot to mention it. Remedy released a free Pc version of death rally a couple of years ago.

@SkanderDjerbi

Hi,Skander game look fun.
Will it have a “no guns” mode, just to race without being worried with guns.

Thanks.

Skander Djerbi 1 March, 2012 @ 9:01 am

Hi DOG30,

I will reveal all the game modes in a future post, but to answer your question, I would say “yes”

@SkanderDjerbi

Skander Djerbi 1 March, 2012 @ 8:31 am   32

Sorry for the long absence guys, I was flying to Paris yesterday.

@SkanderDjerbi