Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 3:00pm

Behind The Scenes With Journey Developer, Thatgamecompany

Hello again, everybody! Thank you so much for your enthusiasm after we announced the release date for Journey as March 13. It’s really the juice that has kept us going over these last three years. We’re anxiously awaiting the time when we’ll be able to see you all online and hear what you think of Journey. So we are bundles of nerves and energy right now! The first reviews of the game are starting to hit, and we’re extremely excited that reviewers seem to understand what we set out to achieve.

Canyon_1P_Solitary_LookoutCanyon_1P_Ancestor_Meditation

To help distract us from the pre-launch jitters, we recently had a small wrap party in the same way we did for flOw and Flower – by hosting a house party at the home of our former USC game design professor, and now friend, Tracy Fullerton. We like this kind of celebration because it’s just a friendly gathering for friends, family, and of course, Journey.

J_party2

J_party1J_party3

We then took our own journey out to Big Bear mountain, near Los Angeles (our home base). By coincidence more than actual design, we ended up having a very similar path in our lives as the character in Journey: our first team retreat during the production of Journey was to the Pismo Beach ocean dunes in 2009, and then the whole team ended up on the snowy mountaintop at Big Bear three years later!

J_BigBear1J_BigBear2J_Pismo2

J_Pismo1

But what I’m really here for is to show you a new developer diary video, featuring new footage both of the game and a behind-the-scenes look at the game and our team here at thatgamecompany and Sony Santa Monica. I hope you enjoy it!

Be sure to check back here on the blog on Monday for some more big Journey news. We really can’t wait to see you all online!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

14 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Stay PlayStation Exclusive please thatgamecompany ;)
You could then be called ‘thatbrilliantsonyplaystationgamecompany’ :D

Anyway i can’t wait to buy/play ‘Journey’(the beta was amazing) :P

Always nice to see some behind the scenes.

As for Journey looking forward to it, but just wondering what the price will be.

Ryusennin 2 March, 2012 @ 5:02 pm   3

I’m still concerned about the unannounced European price. I wish I could lie to you Kellee, but I cannot afford to shell out 15 euros for 1 hour of gameplay.

obiadekanobi1980 2 March, 2012 @ 5:34 pm   4

please port this to the vita please it would be awesome on it and also dont sell your soul to M$ as i love your games guys it be a pity if you leave playstation i hope sony make you an offer you cant refuse and i realise that multiplatform wil make you big bucks but it seems to me that is not what your studio is about judgiing by the amazing chilled out games you make

stay with us!!!!

and hurry up and give us the price will ya im dying to get this game so i need to know how much to top up my wallet

jonny_hart_digit 2 March, 2012 @ 7:07 pm   5

2 points here. yes stay ps exclusive. yes vita.

RoaringMdog18 2 March, 2012 @ 8:48 pm   6

So i just saw the news that in the u.s ps+members can get the game a week before the regular launch. Is the same offer going to be avalible in europe? Love the way this game looks , really looking forward to playing this ^^

acridweasel 2 March, 2012 @ 9:07 pm   7

@RoaringMdog18
Agreed – hopefully that will be the “big Journey news” they mentioned.

If it’s $15 in US then I hope for £9.99 here. I’d prefer less, obviously, but it shouldn’t be any more than £9.99.

ShadowGandalf 2 March, 2012 @ 11:47 pm   8

Looking forward to playing…. no, that’s the wrong word.. EXPERIENCING Journey. I wonder what TGC’s next project will be? Whatever it is, I look forward to hearing about it.

I am so looking forward to this and its coming around my birthday – makes it extra special

Flower was the first game I bought on psn – its nice to know that i will have somewhere peaceful to experience inbetween battles with reapers on ME3 lol

antoniorenfroe 3 March, 2012 @ 12:45 am   10

wow cool i like lebron james the basket ball player and victor cruz the football player and drake and bigsean the rappers

MaikelSteneker 3 March, 2012 @ 10:08 am   11

I obviously haven’t played Journey yet, so I can only guess about how good the gameplay is. But I have seen some of the graphics, and I have to say that especially when moving, they’re stunning. The amount of ambiance you can create with these graphics is really amazing.

NovraLaz 3 March, 2012 @ 11:14 pm   12

This game does look marvellous. I hope that EU Playstation Plus subscribers can get it a week early, as the US ones have.

adge_uk 4 March, 2012 @ 9:46 am   13

Will certainly be picking this up. It looks awesome.

mikepolar 5 March, 2012 @ 2:38 am   14