Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 4:30pm

David Cage On Creating KARA

Yesterday we revealed the KARA tech demo video from Quantic Dream.

As I mentioned yesterday, KARA is NOT the next game from Quantic Dream, it is purely a showcase of the jump in development technology the team have made since Heavy Rain.

Today we can bring you an exclusive Q&A on KARA with David Cage, writer and director at Quantic Dream.

Any questions, please just let me know and I’ll do my best to reply to you all.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

29 Comments 6 Author replies
Show oldest first
somethingatt 8 March, 2012 @ 4:43 pm   1

Hey guys, a question. I read and heard now Mr Cage mentioning the tech demo being free. What does he mean by that?

Will there be a downloadable version where we can play with the graphics and camera angles or something?

Ross Alexander 8 March, 2012 @ 5:00 pm

I haven’t seen him mentioning that it’s free. If you could reply with an example I should be able to put this into context.

What I can say is that KARA won’t be released in any interactive form. It’s been released purely as a stand-alone showcase of Quantic Dream’s tech, and the next you’ll hear from the studio will be when they unveil their next game.

Paranoimia 8 March, 2012 @ 4:44 pm   2

Okay, I know it’s *not* the next QD game, but… it should be!

I loved the demo, but also got invested in the character enough to want to know what happens next.

I would *love* to see this evolved into a full game.

Still, a great demo, and further proof that we perhaps don’t need the next generation of console hardware just yet.

somethingatt 8 March, 2012 @ 4:44 pm   3

Also, Heavy Rain was my favourite game this gen. And I loved how this demo gave me more emotions than most games this gen combined.

So as always, great work by Quantic Dream. Definitely a one-of-a-kind studio.

thekiddfran 8 March, 2012 @ 4:55 pm   4

What a brilliant video. This guy is an inspiration! Sony needs to buy up this company now!!!

thekiddfran 8 March, 2012 @ 4:56 pm   5

Excellent video!

Falcon1991 8 March, 2012 @ 4:57 pm   6

I absolutely loved the Kara tech demo, the android character made it feel just as interesting if not more interesting than a human.

Really looking forward to more from Quantic Dream. :)

nemo20000 8 March, 2012 @ 5:05 pm   7

I started watching this “tech demo”. A couple of minutes in I’d forgotten I was watching a tech demo, forgot it was a real-time PS3 engine, forgot everything. I was shocked at the end when I remembered again.

Bravo.

taurus82 8 March, 2012 @ 5:06 pm   8

I’m just wondering if a studio has ever made an entirely computer (or console) generated real-time 120min+ movie?

I love the crisp and smooth quality of the realtime shadows in Heavy Rain and the KARA demo. In most games they’re still distractingly low-res and animated where they shouldn’t be.

Ctirad89 8 March, 2012 @ 5:08 pm   10

This is truly interactive art!

SHAFTRULES 8 March, 2012 @ 5:13 pm   11

Yip! snap this team up,superb!

bennyrafal 8 March, 2012 @ 5:14 pm   12

Its time for Sony to buy them…
;) need such games.

taurus82 8 March, 2012 @ 5:15 pm   13

…and I too would like to download this (and any other tech demos that Sony has locked up).

somethingatt 8 March, 2012 @ 5:19 pm   14

@Ross Alexander, I was more confused by a 2nd hand comment by Ellis: https://twitter.com/#!/DavidEllis/status/177520778873540608

Mr Cage said it himself too in the GamteTrailers interview: http://www.gametrailers.com/video/gdc-2012-quantic-dream/727754? at 06:43 mark but I see now he is saying this short is free to experience for us fans.

Which is odd still, I wouldn’t have expected to pay for a 7minute short, as awesome as it was.

Ross Alexander 9 March, 2012 @ 9:32 am

Thanks for the video link. I agree that his comment is a little misleading. I think when he makes reference to it being free, he means that it’s an unexpected piece of content for the studio’s fans. A thank you for all their support on Heavy Rain and before.

It is indeed awesome but I too wouldn’t fork out for a 7min short.

Skookie30 8 March, 2012 @ 6:14 pm   15

Tech demos are trully not for the general public they all on show for ppl that work in the games industry devs etc.

& tech demos don’t appear on stores, & tech demos don’t end up as full game.

1 such tech demo never happen to release & it was more hype then this one, the tech demo was FF7 opening intro it was shown on a Ps3 we still waiting.

funny thing was they did use abit of it for the PSP ff7 crisis core. :D

Rhino54 8 March, 2012 @ 6:54 pm   16

please tell me when your new game comes out!

HaRRy-HatCHeT 8 March, 2012 @ 7:53 pm   17

That was incredible! Watching that sent shivers down my spine. So glad I’ve stuck with Playstation for all these years cause nothing can & never will beat them cause they always have the best tech & developers under their sleeves. Sony, you need QD. WE need, well, WANT QD to be exclusive to Playstation! Shame Quantic Dream won’t make this into a proper game, the story would be awesome. A female robot with feelings & emotions with superhuman strength gone rogue bringing down whoever created her….Maybe with the help of the other robots that have been created too. Now that would be awesome to see in real time :-)

valleyshrew 8 March, 2012 @ 9:58 pm   18

Why cant we have quicker titles? It’s not a crime to release a game using the same engine as the last one. Actually it should be a crime to release only one single game with the magnificent Heavy Rain engine which took 4 years to develop. Why make us suffer such long waits? It’s not just annoying as a fan, but from a business perspective.

Heavy Rain was like a great TV series. TV is regular, there is a new series every year. They don’t spend all their time working on new technology. Tech is not everything and Heavy Rain 2 years later is still the most graphically engaging game on a human level.

Fans would rather have a new game within 2 years of the same quality as the last one than waiting 4-5 years for a big tech advancement. As great as Heavy Rain was, it was completed in a single sitting (the best 12 hours of gaming I’ve ever had) and I just desperately want more. Why can’t you make 2-3 more using this engine and as quick as possible? Game developers need to hire more designers and writers, and less programmers and artists.

Ross Alexander 9 March, 2012 @ 9:38 am

Quantic Dream are all about making the very best games that they can. They’re not a studio driven by money, their focus is on creativity and pushing the video game medium to new heights. And with every project they look to make something better – look at the huge jump in scope between Fahreheit and Heavy Rain – hence the decision not to use the same engine again. I can assure you that the wait will be worth it.

@Paranoimia
“Okay, I know it’s *not* the next QD game, but… it should be!”

That’s exactly what I was going to write now.

mach-zero 8 March, 2012 @ 11:34 pm   20

I’d love to see this as a MOVIE .. just to see how kara would fit in this crazy world

taurus82 9 March, 2012 @ 8:43 am   21

All of the tech demos from the demoscene are available for free on pouet.net, so why can’t we download (from the PS Store) and watch the PS3′s tech demos?

iamthevirus 9 March, 2012 @ 10:31 am   22

I have a question for David. What struck me with Heavy Rain wan’t the tech, but the story and the way the player interacted with the story. It was an evolution from reading a book or watching a film and showed without a doubt how powerful a medium gaming is for telling a story. From this point of view, does David have a vision for his next “story/game” or is he & QD concentrating on the tech at this stage?
Also, has he considered applying this tech and engine to an existing IP – specifically Shemnue…

Ross Alexander 9 March, 2012 @ 11:43 am

The next game from Quantic Dream is a brand new story. And it will feature even better tech than what you see in KARA, as KARA was finalised one year ago so the team have had even more time to improve further.

European_Gamer 9 March, 2012 @ 12:14 pm   23

Was this interview recorded at the Quantic Dream studio or at the SCEE or SCEA HQ.

AKGermany 9 March, 2012 @ 1:16 pm   24

Will “Kara” be available to download on PSN eventually? I would love to see the demo on a bigger screen and in better quality than on my computer screen.

Ross Alexander 9 March, 2012 @ 1:40 pm

This is definitely something we will look into so hopefully you’ll see it up there soon.

bennyrafal 9 March, 2012 @ 4:31 pm   25

KARA on PSN in other than video file format way is a nice idea – we could look at it on our XX inch tvs

LoriK-man 9 March, 2012 @ 4:35 pm   26

.. i loved it, and Mr David u should listen to her ”she just born dont kill” dont kill that beautiful idea, turn it into a movie or something

Stonesthrow 10 March, 2012 @ 11:41 am   27

Mindblown. David Cage is one of the best in the business and portraits emotions like none other. Loved Fahrenheit and Heavy rain, keep up the good work QD. Sony should really try to reel in these guys as first party devs..

MrGamer79 11 March, 2012 @ 6:13 am   28

I really agree with all of you that this was an amazing demo. I also read an article on Playstation Lifestyle .com that David Cage personally wish to become a Sony first party developer.

MrGamer79 11 March, 2012 @ 6:14 am   29

I forgot to grade it :-)