Posted 17 March

PlayStation.Blog Recap

There are thousands of things you could do this weekend: play FIFA Street, finish a jigsaw puzzle, learn a new musical instrument… and you can also enter this competition from Sony UK and be in with a chance to Visit Naughty Dog Studios in the US and be captured to appear as a multiplayer character in Uncharted 3. There are only a few days left to enter so get that hat of yours in the ring.

And while we’re talking about the wider Sony family, check out this video I discovered earlier in the week (it’s best with headphones). It shows a new audio technique called Binaural Sound which aims to replicate how a person in a particular scene would actually hear what is happening around them. You can read more about how it works here.

Here’s your recap.

Playstation EU

• Weekend Essentials 117 – Looking for a great PS3 game to play this weekend? FIFA Street, Journey and Twisted Metal are out now-which means you can stay in.
  • Top Tips: Unit 13 – Survive the perils of war on PlayStation Vita with these handy hints from Christian Sadak, senior designer at developer Zipper Interactive.
  • AR Play Cards explained – XDev Studio Europe producer Mark O’Connor explains how AR Play Cards let you bring your own gaming experiences into the real world with PS Vita.
  • Obsession Confessions: Twisted Metal – Reveal your top memories of the insane combat series and win a copy of Twisted Metal on PS3 signed by David Jaffe.

Official PlayStation Magazine - UK

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

32 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first
vonhammer 17 March, 2012 @ 12:56 pm   1

Anyone seeing a lot of maintenance messages signing when onto Sony sites.

Also I can’t add funds anymore (Yes i’ve enough money) I wanted a DC Sub on and few other games,but it doesn’t work.

Rocstarr 17 March, 2012 @ 1:18 pm   2

Nice

are your support staff told not to help anybody unless they ring that 0844 scamline?

or are they just doing this deliberately for a laugh?

well, let me tell you something.
i don’t find it funny, i think it’s an insult.

first i get ripped off because of those broken games you sold, now i get your support staff treating me like an idiot, having a laugh at my expense.

because frankly, the way they’re handling my case is just beyond ridiculous.

they keep giving me the runaround.
i keep getting told to ring that 0844 number to pay you to fix your mistake, which i’m not gonna do.
then i get told it’s being passed to the network team who will contact me shortly.
they don’t, nearly a week goes by and i contact them, they say they need more information, i ask what information, and i get the same copy and pasted reply about my case being sent to the network team who will contact me shortly.

their intention is to never give me my money back isn’t it?

Rocstarr 17 March, 2012 @ 1:33 pm   4

wow

ScooterMix 17 March, 2012 @ 2:52 pm   5

Ok week we learn that more zombie games coming to psn House of the dead 4 and Res Evil 2 old will shooters coming to psn. Larnt Mass Affect srew up the ending and they makeing there first Mass Affect fPS. New Rachet and clank HD got reasle date. Poor Heads up a poor update and i aswer a question and was ingore over poor sevice. James didnt reply on heads up to me and was upset and feel he not replying to me and others. I feel sony should bring all there games they own on the ps1 and ps2 store. And other pub need to back there ideas up to reasle more ps1 and ps2 games on store if they want to get money out of it.PP not getting what they want like lengend of the dragon since it was done by sony. And im upset because you havent bring usa imports what never reasle in euope but res 2 and 3 has Sony Euope need to improve sirvice or pp will leave psn store. I know did great on psn plus store but i think more needs to improve . Ps3 got 5 years lifespin left and i want to get the most of it and i think pp agree how i feel james well there my shout what i have to say.

almighty-slayer 17 March, 2012 @ 3:45 pm   6

My favourite news of the week was most certainly Ratchet and Clank HD :D I’ve LOVED the series ever since i saw my friend playing Ratchet and Clank 1. In fact, it was this which made me want a PS2. Bought every Ratchet game since then and LOVE every one.

I still own all of the PS2 games, and my PS3 is backwards compatible, but i shall be buying the collection anyway. And getting back into that brilliant Ratchet and Clank 3 multiplayer. Can’t wait to get back into that. It was brilliant but never very full of people.

Anyway, great week James :)

jin_kazama56 17 March, 2012 @ 3:54 pm   7

hi james
i can’t play my vita online cause i can’t change my NAT type from 3 (i use BT homehub 2.1) my ps3 is NAT type 2. please help i can’t forward ports to the vita or anything

jadehare 17 March, 2012 @ 5:11 pm   8

Binaural Sound is great. i’ve wondered what it would be like on vita since my portable speakers support it. sort of a 3D audio with a slightly reduced volume.
any ETA on the official charging cradle? it looks sleek and is reported by users to be a great companion while on your PS3 through Remote Play.
could you make a Ridge Racer section for the store?

Heyo James my friend how are you? :)

i would like you to check out this website to watch youtube videos on your PS3 in HD and you can download any vids to your XMB!

(use your ps3 browser)

ScooterMix 18 March, 2012 @ 11:33 am   10

Hi james can plz aswer plz thx. When ps plus got improve and im very plz what will happen next months. I was thinking other things improve since ps3 got 5 years left We havent got any real usa imports what never reach euope and res 2 and 3 doent count because there where reasle in euope. I think service need improve to bring more japan imports and usa imports. And Why sont not reasleing there games on store since lengend of the dragon was own by sony i think they still way behind for ps1 and ps2 classics. And other Pubs dont care to bring there classics on ps1 over to uk and ps2 classics . I know your working hard but i think they need big talks to bring psn service better. I think a lot pp will agree and will buy this classics or non classics to pubs to make money and of caurse you as well. If you dont have to busy reply i will repeat this well bye m8

Carnivius_Prime 18 March, 2012 @ 12:41 pm   11

Best things for me were another Uncharted 3 multiplayer mode (even if it’s far from my favorite mode I still enjoy it), Sly Collection for £8.99 (£9.99 sale plus another pound off on Plus) and hearing that Ratchet & Clank PS2HD Trilogy will be out in a couple months.

And I finally got around to finishing inFamous: Festival of Blood which I had neglected for some reason but really enjoyed it and got all the trophies. I want an inFamous 3 or at least another smaller PSN game in the series.

MotorStorm RC is BRILLIANT:P

OveNCh1pZ 18 March, 2012 @ 5:57 pm   13

fix hustle kings online for vita WiFi :(

rianwudkok 18 March, 2012 @ 10:57 pm   14

Twitter @FretNotRobot

I want to follow gamers-ah who tweet regularly/occasionally/all the time about games-ah!

Please and Thank you and one hundred Gold Rings.

HazelAM 19 March, 2012 @ 8:16 am   15

“I can assure you that your case is with our Head Office and is being dealt with. However, as we are awaiting further information from them we are unable to provide you with an update on your case. ”

that’s what you lack of support staff sent me.

they’re so useless that to get the refund promised by your staff for a problem your staff acknowledged they have to check in with head office?

i should get my refund as soon as i tell you i want one, in fact i shouldn’t even have to ask, you know the games have been broken, you have since last year.

and your worthless lack of support department are still giving me the runaround.

it’s not even a lot of money, but for me it’s like seeing a thief steal a little trinket, you’d rather see it destroyed than let the thief have it.
so i’ll be damned if i’m going to let you screw me out of that money, as small an amount as it is.

Shifty_Geezer 19 March, 2012 @ 10:03 am   16

Binaural sound isn’t new. It’s just been tragically ignored with the push to 5.1 and 7.1 surround despite being more accurate and immersive. I’m pretty sure Creative Labs had binaural sound modelling years ago, although I don’t know how accurate it was.

The Sony example is far from the best I’ve heard. If you visit Freesound.org you’ll find plenty of binaural captures that really place you in the middle of the scene. Still, I’d be in favour of Sony investing in binaural engines for games.

yeah, continue to ignore me, that’s all this company ever do when you’re not kissing it’s backside.

and maintenance, on store update day?

what… person, thought that was a good idea?

how can one company fail so much and stay in business?

oh yeah, millions of loyal customers they don’t deserve to have.
and those millions of customers deserve a hell of a lot better than you.

i’d imagine a stale loaf of bread could do a better job at this point.
you know, when it starts growing fur, that stale.

Huono_peleis 19 March, 2012 @ 1:06 pm   18

Wow! Maintenance on wednesday! Are you planning to inform somehow or is it going to be a surprise like last time?

And who is the genius who thought that it would be a good idea to have a maintenance the same time the store updates?

It’s just baffles how SCEE keeps finding new and innovative ways to annoy its customers. :D

Lucreto 19 March, 2012 @ 1:18 pm   19

Looking forward to Ratchet & Clank Collection.

I hope they change Ratchets voice in the first game but I doubt they will.

I just got my Uncharted 3 beta content. I thought I got all the items but I just got the money code.

fauxtronic 19 March, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   20

@HazelAM: If you don’t want to ring the 0844 number for Sony, then look up the geographical equivalent at saynoto0870 dot com. It is there. I’ve used it a few times.

chrisandsheva 19 March, 2012 @ 1:39 pm   21

@ HazelAM
good to see you telling it ‘how it is’ still. 3 months in now and Still no refund, unbelievable. And premium rate customer/complaint numbers, (big) Lol.. In a way i am kinda hoping that scee continue to ‘carry on there stubborn attitude’, regards both the minis and some ppl still awaiting ‘free/bonus’ codes from over 6 months ago. But i also hope to see your perceiving pay off.
To give you a perspective on how ‘a certain other brand’ deals with customers.. i accidently bought a £7 dlc for Alan Wake last year, as i had the free code for it.. so i phoned the ‘freephone’ customer services and explained, within 5 (FIVE) minutes i had my money back, And about a £4 bonus thrown in for nothing. But it may be that i phoned at right ‘moment’ etc. .. Good luck to you.

fauxtronic 19 March, 2012 @ 2:41 pm   22

Have you tried calling Consumer Direct (the first port of call before Trading Standards)? I contacted them this morning over a PlayStation Store issue that’s been going on for a month. I want a refund for something that I can’t use because it was incorrectly advertised, but I’m getting nowhere. Consumer Direct passed it onto Trading Standards for further investigation because (i) they are alarmed that the Sale of Goods Act is not being honoured, and (ii) that threats to ban my account for taking further action may be unlawful.

I’ve only had a Playstation for three months (more for blu-ray and streaming media services than gaming), but already regretting it. I’ll certainly never buy anything from the PlayStation Store again due to the risk of losing it should I ever decide to do something radical like, oh I dunno… invoke consumer legislation that’s meant to protect me from bad traders.

Juhal_1234 19 March, 2012 @ 2:51 pm   23

HazelAM

Dont you get it?,can’t you think for a moment?

maybe the game/dlc you brought isn’t refundable, don’t you check your emails when you purchase something etc,i think there is a different number.. check

plus this is called PlayStation blog
not PlayStation support

call sony directly, no customer support or visit one of there offices, that’s your best option and i and many others don’t want to see paragraphs of your comment’s being about negative points, good day

Juhal_1234

Lucreto 19 March, 2012 @ 3:17 pm   24

Oh I got my starter pack for Uncharted 3 in another email.

Excellent

HazelAM 19 March, 2012 @ 3:42 pm   25

a few facts for the uninformed.

the law >>>>>> scee.

the law says even items purchased online have to match their description.
read up, you might learn something.
point 11 is the relevant one.

those minis don’t match their description, they’re broken.

therefore i’m legally entitled to a refund, scee are breaking the law by not giving me one.

frankly in the face of that, your fanboy sensibilities being offended are of zero concern to me.

you people, you’re always saying how people who complain should get over it yet they’re the ones who always complain about what other people write, when it has nothing to do with them.

that’s a legitimate cause for complaint, but getting scammed isn’t?

i’m posting this so people realise what a pathetic little company this is, and hopefully refuse to do business with them ever again.

HazelAM 19 March, 2012 @ 3:44 pm   26

seeing as how useless this blog is you might not even be able to get to that site, so let me quote the relevant passages.

“11. Your customers’ rights when they buy goods online, by telephone or by mail order
The law also applies to goods sold online, by telephone or by mail order. This includes goods sold by television, text message and fax or through a newspaper or magazine order form.

The goods must
match the description
be of satisfactory quality
be fit for purpose .”

also, notice the dot gov dot uk part of the address, that means the uk government.

that’s the law, if that upsets you, well, tough.

fauxtronic 19 March, 2012 @ 4:23 pm   27

Please Hazel, please ring Consumer Direct about your issue and register a complaint. They have already forwarded my complaint to Trading Standards about an item which wasn’t properly described, and multiple complaints about the exact same problem will have more leverage.

You are right that you have rights under the Sale of Goods Act, and while Juhal is ultimately wrong about Sony’s refund policy (their sales terms *cannot* overrule the laws of the land), I agree with Juhal that you will get nowhere by complaining via the blog.

Good luck whatever you decide, but I do hope you will call Consumer Direct.

HazelAM 19 March, 2012 @ 4:49 pm   28

to be honest, it’s gone beyond just getting a refund, i just want to highlight what’s wrong with this company.

they sell the games, that were broken.
they then try to change the description after they were informed of the fault, and they can’t change the description after they sold them in a lame attempt to absolve themselves of any responsibility, and i would say that is a fraudulent act.

the refusal to give me a refund is just the proverbial last straw.

i want everybody to know what kind of company they’re dealing with.

i don’t expect results from the blog, hell, i don’t expect them from any part of scee.

but i refuse to sit back in silence while they just ignore their customers.
there are people who’ve been treated far worse than i have by sony, i just wish they’d be as vocal, maybe then scee wouldn’t be able to just sweep all their myriad failures under the carpet the way they do now.

you realise that ignoring the problem is not going to make it go away, it’s just going to get worse.

fauxtronic 19 March, 2012 @ 6:47 pm   29

Of course I realise that ignoring the problem won’t make it go away. That is why, after hitting a brick wall for a month with Sony Customer Services, I have taken decisive action using the tools provided by the state. I’m sorry you won’t consider doing the same. My actions have resulted in Sony’s PlayStation Store being investigated by Trading Standards and assistance with taking action under the Sale of Goods Act. What have your actions achieved?

Spamming the blog over and over again with walls of text is not dealing with the problem in any constructive way. It might make you feel better (I suspect it makes you feel worse, actually), but the staff who write the blog don’t deal with sales and customer service issues so cannot help you anyway, and users of the blog will become familiar with your name, consider you an annoyance and begin scrolling past everything you say. Giving other readers the impression you are a difficult person to deal with may even work in Sony’s favour.

I’ll make this my last reply to avoid getting sucked into a futile discussion, but I hope you get whatever outcome it is you’re looking for anyway.

almighty-slayer 19 March, 2012 @ 9:06 pm   30

HazelAM doesn’t care about ringing the proper people, he just likes to moan and kick and scream

HazelAM 19 March, 2012 @ 9:33 pm   31

maybe i will call them, but i can’t see me getting much help for £3.19.

like i said, my posting here isn’t to get help, i’ve long since realised that’ll never happen.

i’m now publicising what a sleazy company this is.

people need to know that this is what they’ll stoop to and how little they care about the customer.

and still, i shouldn’t post about how worthless this company is, but others can post about how i shouldn’t post.

you guys don’t like what i write, i’ve been ripped off, i’d trade problems with you in s heartbeat.

because frankly, i wouldn’t care what you write on the internet.
unless of course you’re some pathetic fanboy who’s only purpose is to insult me directly, over something i said on the internet.

seriously slayer, it bothers you that much me having a go at scee that you have to insult me?

i mean, i’m talking about crime, fraud, and biblical levels of apathy, you’re talking about somebody criticising a multinational company.

and you think your concern is more important?

wow, that gamer entitlement thing does exist.

it’s kinda sad when you see it in person.

and she is the appropriate pronoun thank you very much.

RuiGhost 20 March, 2012 @ 4:38 pm   32

Hello James Gallagher, I’d like to know if it will be possible to launch Need For Speed Underground 2 for ps3? I saw that you released NFS Most Wanted, that’s why I wonder. I’m sure that NFSU2 would be a game that everyone liked to have on ps3… :)
Please reply, thank you.