Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 1:00pm

LittleBigPlanet Karting Coming To PS3!

Earlier this year we cut some cake and popped some champagne to celebrate Media Molecule’s sixth birthday!! We have had an awesome time during the last six years, with the highlight being the joy of seeing how the experiment we started here in Guildford has grown and given rise to a thriving LittleBigPlanet community. This year will be no different, filled with DLC, plus more brand new experiments from the LBP family for you to play with.

You already know about the fantastic LBP work that Tarsier Studios and Double Eleven Studios are doing on LittleBigPlanet for PlayStation Vita, and now we are delighted to announce today a new LBP collaboration with the hugely talented team at United Front Games who will be leading a new project called LittleBigPlanet Karting! We’ve all seen that UFG has a wealth of racing experience and they’re also intimately familiar with LBP’s cornerstones of “PLAY, CREATE, SHARE.” With LBP’s powerful and diverse toolset in their capable hands, LittleBigPlanet Karting is sure to be an adventure that both LBP fans and kart racing fans alike will enjoy! We are very eager to see what you think of this union and especially excited to see what happens now that you have a 3D environment to create in! It’s the start of a whole new LBP world! Have a look at the debut trailer to see for yourself.

Thank you so much for your continued support of LittleBigPlanet!

Lots of love,
Kareem, Dave, Alex, Mark & Siobhan – Media Molecule

_MG_2574

From United Front Games

Thank you to everyone at Media Molecule, we greatly appreciate the warm welcome into the LittleBigPlanet family. The team here at United Front Games has long been huge fans of LBP and all of the exceptional work done by everyone at Mm. Sackboy has become one of the iconic gaming characters of this generation and to have the opportunity to make a LittleBigPlanet game ourselves is truly an honor.

LBPK_screenshot_1_30.03 - Racing scene gardens sackboy

It has really been a joy to collaborate with all of the folks at Mm. Since the project’s inception, they have been great partners in getting to where we are today. Looking ahead, we can’t wait for all of the LBP fans out there to get their hands on LittleBigPlanet Karting. The LBP community is unparalleled in the gaming world for the passion and creativity they bring and it’s going to be very exciting to see where they’re able to take this new journey for Sackboy.

Our goal with LBP Karting has been fairly simple – provide a fast-paced experience that captures the best of classic Karting gameplay, married with the unbridled creativity of LBP. This new adventure will be accessible to players of all ages and have all of the variety necessary to satisfy both the hardcore and more casual players.

LBPK_screenshot_1_30.20 - Racing scene kart varietyLBPK_screenshot_1_30.08 - Racing scene gardens rocket attackLBPK_screenshot_1_30.42 - Sackboy and Kart customization with Pop-itLBPK_screenshot_1_31.5 - Racing Loops gameplay sackboy

This is an LBP game, so we could never talk about it without mentioning the create tools. LBP Karting is set in an entirely 3D world allowing players to create rich and varied gameplay experiences. Tons of familiar LBP gadgets will be present, along with a brand new toolbox specifically tailored to allow for building in LBP Karting’s 3D world. Along with fan favorite racing and battle modes, players will be able to modify the rules of the game itself to create completely new modes and challenges. All of this is wrapped up in a community experience that should have LBP fans feeling right at home.

Well, that’s all for now, but we’re looking forward to sharing more news on this exciting new game in the coming weeks so stay tuned for more info and get ready for the new world of LittleBigPlanet Karting in 2012!

Thanks,
United Front Games

Kart_Team_Mar_2012

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

94 Comments 16 Author replies
Show oldest first

OK now i want a PS Vita version please !

Agamer2006 22 March, 2012 @ 1:13 pm   2

It be interesting to see how much of a difference there is between this and modnation. From the video its looks to have a more mario kart feel which is great, PS3 needs an karting game. Would be great to have on vita with cross play and online multiplayer.

stargateheaven 22 March, 2012 @ 1:17 pm   3

I want to know too.. whats the difference e
between this and the already existing modnation racers

PS3 and Vita Crossplay please :)

Bacon_Crispies 22 March, 2012 @ 1:22 pm   5

I’m looking forward to this evolution of Modnation, which was an evolution of Little Big Planet but I have one concern.

You have been around for 6 years and you have only created LBP games, please do not become a one franchise company, there is so many talented members at Media Molecule and I would hate to see that talent wasted making sequels to the same game over and over again, no matter how good they are.

@Bacon_Crispies:
We already know that Mm is working on an unannounced new IP for Vita ;)

CRASHBASHUK 22 March, 2012 @ 1:28 pm   7

omg LBP is going 3D O_O lol

NoddingPenguin 22 March, 2012 @ 1:30 pm   8

Hope it turns out well, but it’s just not the same if it’s not being made my MM. I’ll wait to see what MMs next game is and probably pass on this one.

DAVIE222 22 March, 2012 @ 1:37 pm   9

agreed with NoddingPenguin but i will buy it because it looks fun but i worrys its gonna be to much like modnation.

DAVIE222 22 March, 2012 @ 1:38 pm   10

this better connect with lbp.me/u/DAVIE222 or i wont buy.

James Grieve 22 March, 2012 @ 4:02 pm

Hey DAVIE222, we are pleased to be able to let you know that LBPK will be supporting LBP.me, and it will have it’s own specific section where players can browse creations a populate a queue to access in the game.

I couldn’t see the difference between this and modnation, but if you think about it, if they evolved modnation for a sequel it would essentially be little big planet with karts. So instead of overlapping two franchises it makes sense to let the more marketable LBP brand take over.

Will all my DLC I bought for LBP1 and 2 be usable in this game, if not it´s a no buy for me.

James Grieve 22 March, 2012 @ 4:04 pm

Hey OttoT, we’re currently looking into what’s possible on this front … we’ll let everyone know as soon as we have an update!

Carnivius_Prime 22 March, 2012 @ 1:41 pm   13

Looks good. Love Modnation (far, far superior to the massively overrated Mario Kart games and the closest thing we have to a modern day Crash Team Racing) and this is by the same guys so should be great.

James Grieve 22 March, 2012 @ 4:05 pm

Hi Carnivus_Prime, thanks a lot for the MNR love … I’m sure all the fans from MNR will be blown away by what’s possible in LBPK :)

Carnivius_Prime 22 March, 2012 @ 1:48 pm   14

Also I hope it accepts Modnation type of character creation as well as Sackboy costumes. Modnation allowed for a far more flexible way of creating recognisable characters. Ok I say mainly cos I love that movie Optimus Prime robot mod character I downloaded that someone made and racing in the movie Optimus Prime truck mode and I use those loads.

DAVIE222 22 March, 2012 @ 1:54 pm   15

no lbp.me no buy.

Dante_Zero 22 March, 2012 @ 2:01 pm   16

can have my copy in psvita flavour please?

James Grieve 22 March, 2012 @ 4:06 pm

Sorry Dante_Zero, we don’t currently have any plans for a Vita version of this game.

James Grieve 22 March, 2012 @ 4:07 pm

Hey Dante_Zero, we’re sorry but there are currently no plans for a Vita version of the game.

THC_PRITCHARD 22 March, 2012 @ 2:14 pm   17

ok now make a first person shooter/adventure version.. then we can make our own killzone/battlefield and more

VitalogyPJ 22 March, 2012 @ 2:27 pm   18

What #4 said :D

Alex-1124 22 March, 2012 @ 2:28 pm   19

Holy… this looks awesome! I look forward to hearing more about this :D

James Grieve 22 March, 2012 @ 4:08 pm

Glad to hear you’re excited Alex-1124, we can’t wait to show off more of what this game can do :)

strangeplaice 22 March, 2012 @ 2:28 pm   20

This looks infinitely better than I had previously expected. Hopefully it lives up to the enormous reputation of the previous LBP titles! :D

LAClennell 22 March, 2012 @ 2:34 pm   21

For the love of god, please DO NOT INCLUDE RUBBER BANDING, Modnation Racers was terrible for this, and I just couldn’t finish the game at all

Battle mode!!!!!!!!!!!

James Grieve 22 March, 2012 @ 4:09 pm

Hey Kivi95, not only will there be Battle Mode in there out of the box, creators will be able to take control and craft their own game modes with entirely uniquely rules!

AaronSOLDIER 22 March, 2012 @ 2:48 pm   23

So long as I can also use all my costumes (FF7 ones mainly), I’m buying it.

clockworklemon 22 March, 2012 @ 2:52 pm   24

I can’t wait to tell my 6yr old son when I get home, he’ll be beside himself. He loves LBP with a passion.

Dernholm 22 March, 2012 @ 3:03 pm   25

The 4-player split-screen in Modnation Racers didn’t have any bots and did suffer from drops in frame rate if I recall correctly. I hope this game will put more effort into the local multiplayer. :-)

Jesse-Blue 22 March, 2012 @ 3:07 pm   26

Interesting.
I found Modnation Racers to be pretty flawed and far too difficult for a light-hearted fun game it wants to be.
If they can get the graphics up to the high standards of many exclusives and improve gameplay and make it more accessible and easy to play than this might be a success.
I know many who put Modnation down after failing several races against the devious AI to never come back to it again.

James Grieve 22 March, 2012 @ 4:11 pm

Hey Jesse-Blue, accessibility is a huge focus for the team on this game. We aim to provide an experience that will be enjoyable by players of all skill levels. More news on this front soon!

xchris2008x 22 March, 2012 @ 3:13 pm   27

defiantly getting this game but please dont make it as hard as modnation racers :( gave up on single player as it was peeing me off lol

Game looks amazing

fjernbetjening 22 March, 2012 @ 3:19 pm   29

If there is a demo I’ll definately give it a try.

Please don’t make the game too difficult however, I like a challenge, but I don’t like having to start a 3 minute track over 20+ times, hoping to complete it.

andycass 22 March, 2012 @ 3:24 pm   30

I hope the play create share is better than the awful modnation racers where the create part of the game was made redundent by tha fact that the game auto built things for you.

Wozman23 22 March, 2012 @ 3:35 pm   31

First off, the LBP franchise is probably my favorite new franchise this generation. I thought ModNation was a solid title as well. The world didn’t resonate quite as much with me, but I spent quite a bit of time creating carts and characters.

When this was first announced, I was scratching my head. It seemed redundant. I felt the same way when LBP2 was announced, as I thought there wouldn’t be enough change.

Now, Mm has proved me wrong twice. This trailer made a believer out of me. Battle Mode is a welcome addition. Taking the foundation of ModNation and infusing it with the charming world of LBP is a brilliant partnership. I’m an idiot for doubting you.

James Grieve 22 March, 2012 @ 4:12 pm

Thanks for keeping the faith Wozman23, glad we’ve convinced you!

xscapeguy2007 22 March, 2012 @ 4:07 pm   32

Hey Guys,
This looks good bt i am extremely anxious to know about the move steering controller that is supposed to being launched with this game any news on that also?

Terry

I truly cannot wait to see the final product of this new exciting title. Thanks to Sony, MM and more importantly the extremely talented folks at UFG for bringing us Sackboy in a Modnation Racers-type world. We have been waiting for this, and you guys are making it all come true. All the best

James Grieve 22 March, 2012 @ 4:28 pm

Thanks so much for the kind words aat08, we can’t wait for fans like you to get their hands on this game!

I really hope it’s more like Crash Team Racing than Mario Kart. Especially the feel of good movement control when driving is extremely important.

And I really really hope it won’t be as bloated as MNR. Much of the concept in the game cool, but the execution sucked. (Long loading times, didn’t really feel as great driving (though it wasn’t that bad), not very balanced weapons, dealing with the menus etc felt like a lot of work).

Yeah, my opinion is to look at Crash Team Racing and learn from that. Once that is done, you can start adding extra features, but not at the expense of otherwise important things. (Naughty Dog themselves didn’t even look at their own game when they made Jak X. Jak X had memory card bug and I really didn’t enjoy playing it at all).

Oh, I forgot to say I’m excited!
I really hope this is going to be a great game! :)
PS3 badly needs a great kart game.

Paul2007 22 March, 2012 @ 5:11 pm   36

There really needs to be a Vita version. It is a perfect fit for a handheld. Sony has only itself to blame if the Vita goes the same way as PSP. No plans for LBPK, Ratchet & Clank Collection or Jak & Daxter Collection on Vita is idiotic. I love Sony but I would love to knock some sense into it.

Posted using a Vita system.

SamTheSkater 22 March, 2012 @ 5:11 pm   37

This looks great! Looks very LBP. Like people have said, a PS Vita version would be cool. And I hope there aren’t any sideswipes or other cheap attacks in this game like in ModNation Racers. If people are gonna use devastating weaponry they’ll have to deserve it by actually picking stuff up!

LAClennell 22 March, 2012 @ 5:15 pm   38

i’ll ask again, what will the rubber banding be like? will it be as bad as modnation?

James Grieve 22 March, 2012 @ 6:04 pm

Hi LAClennell, AI tuning is a big focus for the team on LBPK. We are aiming to provide an experience that will be accessible to all levels of players, so any one is able to pick up the game and have a great time with it.

LAClennell 22 March, 2012 @ 6:16 pm   39

that sounds good :)

Splenge 22 March, 2012 @ 6:32 pm   40

I really liked Modnation, I cannot wait for this.

Imagine if there’s some DLC compatibility.
Muppets DLC. Driving up walls and ceilings?! Think of the possibilities! Primarily the thought of LittleBigBlue :D

James Grieve 22 March, 2012 @ 7:26 pm

Hey Splenge, glad to hear you’re excited to get you hands on LBPK. As I mentioned above, we’re currently investigating DLC compatibility and hope to have some news for the community on in the coming months!

LAClennell 22 March, 2012 @ 7:30 pm   41

and please try not to empthsis on Online Multiplayer trophies too much :)

dont make it a 10/10 Platinum Difficultly like Modnation was :(

scottad 22 March, 2012 @ 7:31 pm   42

LBP game trailers are always a breath of fresh air I can’t wait to see how this plays, will there be a demo on the Playstation Store?

SoulReaperQ8 22 March, 2012 @ 7:47 pm   43

Now don’t get me wrong,I love the LBP franchise,and it’s actually one of my favorite games in this generation.But the whole idea around it was that you could build ANYTHING in it.So making a sub-genre for a game that can do all genres looks like an unnecessary idea,with all due respect.I know that in the main game you can’t ‘perfect’ a racing game,but it’s still pretty do-able.If I wanted a more in-depth kart game I would’ve played ModNation.

I’m not bashing,just stating my opinion,and would be glad to hear yours,too. :D

Player42791 22 March, 2012 @ 7:56 pm   44

Been waiting for this trailer since the news leaked in February.

Will all the stickers/objects/materials/costumes from LBP 1 & 2 be in the game to begin with(waiting to be unlocked) or will they be transferrable from saved profiles of the other games like the way they transferred from 1 to 2?

SergioDaly 22 March, 2012 @ 7:57 pm   45

that does look good… the Destruction Derby type of game mode looks very fun… will keep a eye in this one!

CJSgamer 22 March, 2012 @ 8:09 pm   46

I agree this really should’ve been Vita and PS3 compatible. It sounds as if Sony has nothing on the horizon for Vita, apart from regular LBP. It’s a little worrying, especially since I bought one.
Hopefully a port comes oneday.

Also, how far away is LBP Vita? I’m out of launch games (good ones), and this is the next big game that I’m actually looking forward to. In fact, this is probably the biggest Vita game.

Emoto8D 22 March, 2012 @ 8:33 pm   47

I would like to know wether or not the Play Station Move controller is requiered or not(either way I’m still going to get it) but is it?

James Grieve 22 March, 2012 @ 8:46 pm

Hey Emoto8D, it definitely won’t be required for playing the game but it will add an extra layer of awesome if you have it :)

Emoto8D 22 March, 2012 @ 8:52 pm   48

Hooray! Can’t wait this will be awesome! The brain crain and move cursor could be very useful though. I have a move controler, but I’m sure the rest of my family would like to play, so that is why I asked. Thank you!

DAY 1!:P I love all things LBP;)

+ 4 player spilt-screen? COOL:P

Emoto8D 22 March, 2012 @ 8:59 pm   50

Wait, I just want to ask something but will sackbots be in LBPK, like as audiences, other racers, and/or funny sites? Thank you, and sorry for hogging the blog!

Load all