Posted 23 March

Five Years Of PS3 In Europe

In what must stand as scientific proof that time flies when you’re having fun, it is five years to the day since PS3 launched in Europe and we’ve had this cake made to celebrate.

IMG_0457

To celebrate, we’ve also got some retrospective features over at eu.playstation.com:

Five ways PS3 changed home entertainment
Discover the amazing innovations introduced by PlayStation 3 since it exploded onto the video game scene in March 2007.

10 of the Best: PS3 games by the PlayStation Community
The votes are in – find out which PS3 games the PlayStation Community has enjoyed the most over the past five years.

Sort of to celebrate and sort of coincidentally, we’ve also launched our Timeline over at Facebook.com/sonyplaystation – click on the dates on the right-hand side to see other milestones

timeline

So there you have it – we hope you’ve enjoyed the last five years of games and services on PS3 and are looking forward to what we have lined up for 2012 and beyond.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

67 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Who makes these cakes :O

Cake! :)

ManueleunaM 23 March, 2012 @ 12:08 pm   3

I’ll take the square…

@Roxas598

Its a big business now.
Loads of specialist bakers, if you’ve got the dosh you can have almost anything you want in cake form.

JafaCakes 23 March, 2012 @ 12:10 pm   5

The
“10 of the Best: PS3 games by the PlayStation Community”
Link 404′s (for me at least).

grimbarian 23 March, 2012 @ 12:15 pm   6

The cake is a lie……

Got mine on day-one from Amazon, took the day off to enjoy the new arrival. Kept looking out the window to see if the delivery man was anywhere near my place. Had the same emotions with the Vita.

VictorAnalogy 23 March, 2012 @ 12:21 pm   8

@grimbarian: Comic genius, you obviously intended to use a 5year old joke because the PS3 is also 5 right? ._.

Do you know what I think a great way to celebrate 5 years of PS3 would be? Some free content. People love free content. ;)

Dante_Zero 23 March, 2012 @ 12:21 pm   9

way to go with the celebrations. SCEE staff write a few retrospective and get a lush cake. Meanwhile the ps3 comunity that have been there from day one are left out of the celebrations. No free 5yr avatar or theme. I’d have even paid for one if it had been made available. No psn store sale for the best content over the last 5yrs no real interaction with the ps3 comunity. Not even an event in home a virtual birthday party would have been nice. while we’ve had 5yrs of some great games i feel underwhelmed looking back on what ps3 has done and should be doing. I can’t help feel sceptical about the next 5yrs. If anything the last 5yrs of PS3 in Europe has taught me one thing though. EU ps3 games may aswell be second class citizens compared to the other Sony regions.

Alex-1124 23 March, 2012 @ 12:22 pm   10

It’s been a fantastic 5 years, here’s to the next 5 being even better!

*Now awaits the inevitable “The cake is a lie” comment* :)

Gamesgbkiller 23 March, 2012 @ 12:23 pm   11

where is jak & Daxter ?
i dont see them in cake .
better be another cake for them .

Sheennshine7 23 March, 2012 @ 12:38 pm   12

Nice cake guys… If anyone is on Facebook then please like our fan page..http://www.facebook.com/www.pureplaystationfans.co.uk?ref=tn_tnm-n

grimbarian 23 March, 2012 @ 12:42 pm   13

@Victor Analogy

If there was one thing more obvious than a “The cake is a lie” comment , it was a bunch of moaners whining about a lack of free stuff. ;-)

This post really, Takes the cake!
Ahahahahahahahah….
I’ll show myself out now.

European_Gamer 23 March, 2012 @ 12:44 pm   15

You do know that this part also is in the localised versions right?

“Similarly, invaluable film on demand services such as MUBI and the Video Store of PlayStation Store mean a new movie is never far away. Going out by staying in has never felt so satisfying.”

Even though several countries DON’T have a video store.

firsefury 23 March, 2012 @ 12:58 pm   16

Okay just five more years for the PS4 to come out

MP_is_for_Chumps 23 March, 2012 @ 12:58 pm   17

Dammit, there is nothing i hate more than a picture of a cake i cant eat >_<

Any sale planned for next week then? You know to celebrate it :)

manutreble 23 March, 2012 @ 1:17 pm   19

Wow where did thoes five years go there’s been some awesome games down the last five years I some of that cake plz hahah.. I got my 1st ps3 just 3 months after it came out

somethingatt 23 March, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   20

Man look at that PS3phat, such a beautiful BEAST. I hope you bling out the PS3 with a new model before its coffin time.

I got mine a year after launch but it’s been by far the console that I’ve been most obsessed with, in a good way (mostly…).

I feel like I milked this point in my head now but I can never say it enough, there is no company with as much love for gaming as Sony. I mean just look at all the games they are pumping out and the superb developer community that seems to love how much Sony respects their creativity, not to mention the risk taking that brought as epics such as Heavy Rain (my favourite game this gen, easily).

So with all those lovely thoughts, I end with: PlayStation family for like and a happy 5th birthday. Here is to many more.

razordude 23 March, 2012 @ 1:31 pm   21

10 best games is 404. Someone couldn’t wait to get down the pub, obviously.

TalllPaul 23 March, 2012 @ 1:44 pm   22

I hope you packed my slice well so it doesn’t break on the way to my house :P

Inky_72 23 March, 2012 @ 1:46 pm   23

Where is the YLOD?

VictorAnalogy 23 March, 2012 @ 1:46 pm   24

@grimbarian: Touche! Let’s pretend we were both being ironic. ;)

MorfiTM 23 March, 2012 @ 1:47 pm   25

I don’t mean to be a party booper but let’s face reality here – in most of Europe your product is simply empty, no mubi, no music unlimited, no comic store etc.
So MY WISH for your birthday dear Sony is simple, you’re 5 years old and you’re still crawling when it comes to EUROPE, and when i mean Europe i mean not only UK, AU but those countries where we crave for now content. I understand that in dog years it’s like your 35 or something so get a grip SONY and make something about countries like Poland, Lithuania, Hungary, we would kill for good content at the right price (where price is adequate to salary).

grimbarian 23 March, 2012 @ 1:51 pm   26

@Victor Analogy

Ha ha, no worries mate. :-)

To quote:

“Life is very short, and there’s no time for fussing and fighting my friends”

It’s a party after all.

MP_is_for_Chumps 23 March, 2012 @ 1:51 pm   27

…so, anyone else late to the PS3 party?

I’ve only had mine for about a year lol :D

Skookie30 23 March, 2012 @ 1:55 pm   28

Of all the contents this cake has been passed QA & localisation of this cake but SCEE can’t give us Imports.

happy 5th b-day Ps3 here another 5 years it took you 5 years to get the 2 resident evils lol. :D

Knickerbocker72 23 March, 2012 @ 1:56 pm   29

Well, it’s really hard for me to feel reason for celebration!!
This is my 4th PS3, 3rd Ihad to bye, because sooner or later EVERY laser stopped working, starting with failing to read blue-rays and eventually failing to read any discs!! In one case it happened already after 3 months.
The internet service is often a total mess. I had about a dozen total crashes in past 4 months when surfing for game-related infos like reviews, trailers and stuff like that. The most recent crashes have happened yesterday (!!) while trying to load an extensive review of the new RE shooter.
Many internet sites do not work properly or least you cannot watch most of the videos like for instant on ESPN or yahoo sports. Sometimes videos or pictures even in playstation blogs don’t work.
Really disappointing and what’s about the actual error message on every internet page relating to unsafe or unknown certificates?? It’s really annoying!!

Skookie30 23 March, 2012 @ 1:59 pm   30

* oh yes while mike kebby work in SCEE we discuss do SCEE Reps “sit on content” not 1 sit on that cake.

undergroundgr 23 March, 2012 @ 2:02 pm   31

i dont know @28,i have my phat still working since 08.got my slim last summer.btw,have you ever tried to clean the lazer lence with a bluray cleaner disc?takes less than 2 minutes.

WELSHDRAGON_74 23 March, 2012 @ 2:06 pm   32

I had a ps3 from launch bought it frm blockbuster cost me a monkey & a few quid if i remember right lol… it was a phat 40 now tho i got a skinny 320,,,,, HAPPY BIRTHDAY PLAYSTATION 3

fjernbetjening 23 March, 2012 @ 2:10 pm   33

The cake is a lie, and so is the “10 of the Best: PS3 games by the PlayStation Community” link.

Or at least it’s a 404 error.

The cake is a 404…

Add the vastly unappreciated Infamous to that list, either one, and its complete.
Those years flew past, i remember me and my brother taking the day off work to get the PS3 on release, cost us around €650, a hell of a lot of money but everyone was working then so it wasn’t so bad.
I remember worrying about the lack of games for it, there wasn’t much after release but man have Sony made up for that.

wezer1871 23 March, 2012 @ 2:35 pm   35

a good celebration would be to actually get something on the weekend…and i got my account back!!! the sony customer services are awesome

wezer1871 23 March, 2012 @ 2:36 pm   36

weekend debate*

Erorrless 23 March, 2012 @ 3:00 pm   37

thank you for all the great moments that playstation has brought us. i wish you all the best at SONY.

CRASHBASHUK 23 March, 2012 @ 3:08 pm   38

5 years woo hoo i renamber playing sonic the hedgehog as my first ps3 game was blowen away by the cgi in the game thanks to ps3 by making it poserbul and in full HD! :)

Happy Birthday PS3;) The last ’3 years’ have been excellent & makes the PS3 as good as the PS1 & PS2 days for me(wasn’t that keen on the 1st ’2 years’ of the PS3′s life but all is good now) ;)
+ Excellent CAKE! :D

Juhal_1234 23 March, 2012 @ 3:30 pm   40

I love PlayStation
i have a great line of games to finish
i also need all Journey trophies, Beautiful Game
who made the Cake?? AMAZING

S-Cript 23 March, 2012 @ 3:31 pm   41

Enjoying the gameconsole, but the service called videostore is still an empty cake

GT-R32_Skyline 23 March, 2012 @ 4:19 pm   42

Happy Birthday PS3 i have really enjoyed mine for these 3 years i’ve had it

Jaaay2k 23 March, 2012 @ 4:24 pm   43

You forgot to mention it did Other OS in the picture text.

Happy Birthday PS3

bennyrafal 23 March, 2012 @ 4:54 pm   44

Cheers :)

Skydancerx 23 March, 2012 @ 5:48 pm   45

Got em all.. PlaySation, PlayStation 2, PlayStation 3, PSP and PS Vita. Still in House are: PS2, PS3 and Vita.

Love Gaming with Playstation. Half of my Life i was playing with Sony/Playstation Products. Really enjoying it!

This Cake is better than the Plus Cake :)

Not happy with:
- No Anniversary Avatar like US Months Ago
- No Birthday Sale
- Sony ignoring Customers or no Information about things:
* Still no Vita PSone Compatibility as Advertised
* PS Plus Minis still doesent work @ Vita
* Skype on vita?
* Youtube App?
* PEGI Problem in Germany (look at MS)
- many many more things.

MisterSim76 23 March, 2012 @ 5:49 pm   46

Many Happy Returns!

JonnyPauz 23 March, 2012 @ 6:11 pm   47

Happy 5th Birthday PS3!!!! Yay!!!! How shall we celebrate???

DAVIE222 23 March, 2012 @ 6:21 pm   48

ah 5 years :) i remember my dad getting the PS3 in 07 at a cheap price! But then it all went wrong with the YLOD twice :( but since 09 xmas my ps3 slim is still going!

most play game on ps3:

.uncharted drakes fortune

.oblivion

Five Years Of PS3 In Europe
-and still no video service!
-and still no music service!
-and still home in beta!
-and still sloooooow downloading

But awesome exclusives (Uncharted, heavy rain, Flower, ratchet and clank etc) but please make it do everything, that was the promise!

JadoreSox 23 March, 2012 @ 6:44 pm   50

SCEA: 5 years of PS3! enjoy the special offers we will be doing throughout the month.

SCEE: 5 years of PS3! enjoy this picture of a cake.

Load all