Posted 1:59pm

Dedicated Server Rentals Coming To PlayStation 3

PlayStation 3 Battlefield 3 players will have a chance to make Battlefield history. Starting today, we’re going to offer PlayStation 3 players the opportunity to rent their own dedicated server. Your rules, your friends, your Battlefield.

Want to enable friendly fire? Done. Want to only allow spawning on your squad leader? Make it happen. Like health regeneration, but not 3D spotting? You get the idea. Your server, your rules. And if you want to keep things exclusive put a “bouncer” out front; give your friends VIP status so they can cut to the front of the queue when joining, or keep unwanted players out by banning them.

Whether you’re using it as your favorite place to play ranked matches with your friends or as a staging ground to practice new tactics and strategies, you can’t go wrong. You’ll be able to rent servers for periods of one day (€1.49), seven days (€6.99), 30 days (€24.99), or 90 days (€59.99). The demand to be among the first PlayStation players to rent a Battlefield server will doubtlessly be huge. However, in order to ensure a stable experience for everyone, we will be ramping up capacity as the week progresses. If you can’t rent a server today, don’t fear! You’ll have your chance as we increase the number of available servers over the course of a week.

Looking for some of the weapons and gear that you’ve seen Battlefield veterans using? You’re in luck! We’re also introducing Shortcut items which will allow you to get caught up to more experienced players. Each item unlocks all the weapons and/or equipment for vehicles, a specific class, or even the co-op weapons. You can also bundle the items together if you’re looking to unlock more at once for a deal. If you’re itching to get a jump start with a class you’ve been neglecting or just want to get your hands on some advanced weaponry, they’re the way to go. There is a lot of variety so go check them out on either the PlayStation Store or our in-game store.

And last, but certainly not least, we’ve created a new Conquest Assault variant for our Back to Karkand owners who love Wake Island. This new mode offers a more tactical experience including a mobile anti-air spawn at the Beach base. In order to check out this new layout, search for Conquest Assault & Wake Island – keeping an eye out for the “CQA Alt2″ note in the server details.

We hope you enjoy all the new goodies we’re adding, as well as the fixes we’re rolling out. As always, for more news about Battlefield 3, be sure to head on over to our blog! – http://blogs.battlefield.com/

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

32 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

That is…not cheap.

90 DAYS for Aus = $1.11 per day, not bad.

Deviil-Boy 27 March, 2012 @ 2:14 pm   3

Not for me, I thought it’ll be FREE like Call of Duty, but unfortunetly no.

ShadowDoGGG 27 March, 2012 @ 2:20 pm   4

Why can’t everyone be like Valve? Just allow anyone to make up dedicated server.

EA, your scam, your dirt and I hope this fails for you miserably.

fallen1_616 27 March, 2012 @ 2:28 pm   5

the rent a server bit is great, but are you saying that i’ve busted my ass for months now to unlock the guns and gadgets, and now people who havnt put in the dedication can just [EDITED] buy them?

monkeyd_93 27 March, 2012 @ 2:40 pm   6

Considering Battlefield games are MUCH bigger than CoD, it only makes sense that it’s hosted on a sever to cope with the information being transmitted and recieved to each player, and not have everyone have network problems if the hosts connection is bad. Pricing IMO is actually pretty decent, and although i may not set up a server of my own, there will be a lot of great varieties now, such as 1000 ticket games, and bans on frag/rpg/noob tubes.

DAVIE222 27 March, 2012 @ 2:45 pm   7

FINNALY I CAN QUIT MATCHES WHEN THE MATCH IS WON!!!! THANKS DICE AND EA !!!! THE BIGGEST COMPLAINT FOR ME WAS THE FACT THAT WHEN THE MATCH WAS OVER YOU COULDNT QUIT AND HAD TO WAIT FOR THE NEXT MATCH TO LOAD WICH TOOK ALONG TIME SO THANKS DICE NOW I WILL PLAY BF3 A HELL OF ALOT MORE! :D :D :D :D

vonhammer 27 March, 2012 @ 2:47 pm   8

Interesting,probably a tad expensive.If I was still renting a server in 24 months,and you guys decide you want shut down servers because BF4 is out,how would that effect my servers or subscription.

Also do a KZ3,and release the MP for 10 and i’ll finally buy BF3

the1free_man 27 March, 2012 @ 3:01 pm   9

Here are my questions:
1. Why would I pay for a dedicated server?
2. Why would I pay for a service for a game I don’t even have?
3. Why would I leave a comment concerning a game I don’t even have?
4. Why would I leave a comment at all?
5. Why?

dillusion 27 March, 2012 @ 3:35 pm   10

@the1free_man Thank you for your 5 comments, I laughed so hard… and everything you said applies for me as well!

Wow – a lot of people who post here don’t seem to quite know what dedicated servers are. Just FYI if you don’t know what they are – move along. And just plain lol at Devil-boy and Shadow Dog’s ignorance.
@the1free_man 1.for a better online experience 2.you wouldn’t 3.you’re bored? 4. see number 3 5.because dedicated servers are a real weak point of console online gaming. Lag and cheating are far less prevalent on good dedicated servers.

LAClennell 27 March, 2012 @ 3:51 pm   12

i need to ask –

will you be able to start a game with just 2 people
&
will you be able to earn XP and trophies in these rented servers?

KaiserSoza13 27 March, 2012 @ 3:54 pm   13

You set this up quick,why is it taking so long for the video/film store to be up and running for most of us.

AndyBeans 27 March, 2012 @ 4:00 pm   14

I was constucting a huge rant against certain idiots on here but @Aysir seems to have done it quicker and better lol

It would be nice if you could use a spare PS3 as an OWNED, dedicated server, but I guess that doesn’t pay EA’s bills.

ShadowDoGGG 27 March, 2012 @ 4:43 pm   15

@Aysir Are you paid by EA or something? or just affiliated with news corp.

The fact that you can ONLY buy your server from certain companies is a scam and promotes anti-competitiveness.

LOL this is a joke right? we pay 70 euro the game we pay the dlc and now we pay 60 euro for a simple custom match WHAAAAAAAAAAT? Fix the disconnect problems! The xbox boys pay for this services too? i mean aiready pay to connect the internet :)

ShadowDoGGG 27 March, 2012 @ 4:45 pm   17

I know very well what a dedicated server is. I ran a counter strike source server for well over 3 years from a dedicated server within a data centre. It was pricey but I could do whatever I wanted with it. With this I am stuck to 1 game.

Amy_Belgium 27 March, 2012 @ 5:28 pm   18

at this rate soon we will also be paying for putting the disc in our console or for pressing the start button
EA it’s not aprils fools yet. i wonder whose dumb enough to fall for this.this should be free after all people already payed for their online pass

AndyBeans 27 March, 2012 @ 5:59 pm   20

@ShadowDoGGG Sony doesn’t let any game connect with non-approved servers, Valve’s PC games can but their PS3 ones don’t, it’s not an EA scam, it’s not a Sony scam, it’s simply maintaining a closed system. Microsoft do exactly the same for XBL… at least Sony allow Steam/PSN interconnectivity! If they allowed console gamers to set up and use their own server hardware that would mean releasing server code which would then be hacked and recompiled to then hack any console which connected to it. We’d all have to firewall our PS3′s and live in fear of being duped into entering a hacked lobby and then banhammered by Sony for having a hacked PS3.

I’m sure you are just as upstanding as me, you like to tinker but don’t mean any harm, however there are hundreds of idiots around constantly trying to get something for nothing and to ruin everybody else’s day in the process. It would be nice to be able to run your own dedicated server for PS3 gamers but at least through this new service gamers/clans can get the benefit without everybody having to bend over for the hackers.

Im delighted with this, although i do understand peoples frustration with having to pay for another aspect of a game….again.

I will rent one for a day whenever i can, just so me and a friend can mess around and practice in the air vehicles.

Question, whats stopping people from cheating?

Also, dont like the idea of been able to buy every unlock in the game, why would people do that! I dont mind the weapons as much, but guys being able to buy all the vehicle unlocks is a bit unfair to guys who mastered these vehicles and earned their unlocks and the advantages they bring in vehicle warfare.

Oh well, i guess the prices will be a bit of a deterrent.

robbenslb 27 March, 2012 @ 8:38 pm   22

I preferred not having this than having to pay to customise a match. 60€ per 90 days? That’s totally ridiculous and I seriously hope this turns out to be a fail.

sweetasman01 27 March, 2012 @ 10:48 pm   23

EA NO! BAD EA! BAD!

DAVIE222 27 March, 2012 @ 11:58 pm   24

@brenczapski you know thats fake and ilegal right? you can get permenent band for posting that on ps blog.

leukoplast 28 March, 2012 @ 2:22 am   25

LOL, what a pathetic way to squeeze more money out of their gullible players. I’m sure they will make millions off this.

I can’t wait to buy BF3 USED for 1/4th it’s retail price with a unused online pass, as something like this makes me want to give these companies even more of a big middle finger.

Don’t support pansy moves like this people! It’s because people support this crap that we end up with things like PSN/EA pass junk.

RadioactiveMah 28 March, 2012 @ 3:39 am   26

OMG, does gamers ever stop nagging about anything!! I mean you all do understand that this is an OPTIONAL new feature that EA is not forcing on no one…Renting dedicated servers for games has been going on since forever on PC, this is not new people.

As for price, if you have a clan or friends you can all just rent 1 freaking server and pay together and enjoy. If you still think it’s expensive (like i do) than just ignore this feature and continue on your life just like you were before this feature was introduced…..

kasasensei 28 March, 2012 @ 9:33 am   27

Game 70€
+online pass 10€ so your brother can legitimately play with the game
+DLC a few 30€ for severals maps
+dedicated servers a cheap 24€ par month
134€ for the first month of gaming. hahahaha

And the best part is that this service comes, of course, with no warranty that you’ll get a decent lag, cause you’re still playing trough the PSN which can be “slow” and “laggy” sometimes.

What’s next? grant access to online to PS+ users only?
My god.

vherostar 28 March, 2012 @ 11:58 am   28

@27 dedicated servers cost money to run! They are not free you know! Yo are not running the server from your console or anything. Your hiring a real server. If you did this from a PC it would cost you money too. In fact ded. servers are a HUGE business in the PC market and why should EA try to tap into that? Nobody is forcing you to pay are they? You can still use the online features to play and get everything else. This is just hiring a server nothing else. Some people expect to pay £40 and get £100′s worth for stuff for free these days.. I mean software sure but server hire too? Your nuts!

vherostar 28 March, 2012 @ 11:59 am   29

This isn’t a way to squeeze money out of players or anything its a way to bring a previously PC exclusive feature to consoles. As dedicated servers are rapid and no slowdowns. The best of it all is its yours so you can do clan wars etc.. on it and kick people who annoy you.

As for Valve making dedicated servers from your PC your doing from a PC! This is a console its a complelty differnt thing. You can turn a £50 PC into a dedicated server but you do realise if you turn your machine into a dedicated server you cant actually play it right? As its DEDICATED! Meaning you would need another machine just to play it on. If they added that feature people would be like “oh this is just a cheap way to sell more ps3′s”. I bet most people on here havnt a clue about ded. Servers. Do some research next time. Just google battlefield 3 server hire and check the prices for a PC server.

So ungrateful..

JOSH250195 28 March, 2012 @ 12:13 pm   30

These will just make people try and attempt at modding, and I don’t to pay extra for a game that should have good servers at release this is pointless and is just another way to make money. EA WERE a great developer but now it just goes downhill \
\
\
\
\

Kamotcha 29 March, 2012 @ 9:26 am   31

I think this is very good indeed and I agree totally with you vherostar I just wish they add more games to this plan it was a pain to play crysis 2 on that crappy EA servers and more companies should get on it, (i.e Activision lol).

nemo20000 30 March, 2012 @ 4:08 pm   32

On the down side, Warhawk has always allowed players to host games. For free. For years.

On the plus side, it is extremely good news to see a developer thinking about ways to enable fans to continue playing a game once it has ceased to be a significant source of income for the publisher.

I’d prefer the Warhawk model, but something is better than nothing.