Posted 2:00pm

‘Heads-Up’ PlayStation Plus Update – 4th April 2012

Plus-Blog-header-April-2012

Hey guys, sorry we’re a bit late to market this week with our content update, but hopefully you’ll feel as though it’s worth waiting for and very much in keeping with the quality you’ve come to expect this year. It’s always a good feeling to give away content in a single month that more than covers the cost of the annual subscription.

So by now, if you’ve headed over to the SCEA update you will see they’re getting Shift 2: Unleashed and Shank 2 in their update this month, courtesy of the lovely folks at EA. Here, it’s no different, as EA’s 145 car, 36 track monster of a racing title is now yours at no cost, alongside the ultra-violent and ultra-awesome grindhouse 2D platform-brawler.

Don’t forget there are a huge number of additional cars and a couple of extremely useful time-saver packs available for Shift 2: Unleashed, all available from the PlayStation Store.

The PS one Classic this month is Silent Hill, which I’m sure you’ll agree is a proper classic title – never before has radio static been so terrifying. Unfortunately you’ll have to wait just one more short week until it’s available (sorry!) but it will be available into the start of May’s publish to make up for the lost week.

This week we have two brand-new minis for your entertainment, ‘Floating Cloud God Saves the Pilgrims’, in which you’ll float and shoot your way through seven beautifully drawn worlds to save your followers and ‘Golf Mania’, offering 90 holes of single and multiplayer golfing challenges from traditional courses to gravity defying glass towers.

I Am Alive comes to PS3 with a 20% discount for all you faithful Plus users, and Wheels of Destruction will also be available at a discount for the two weeks after launch.

New themes, lots of avatars which include a set of exclusive avatars developed by SCEA and an avatar pack from the PS VITA favourite, Escape Plan for you guys too.

Later in the month we give you the chance to blast some more zombies with a launch discount on SEGA’s House of the Dead 4 (with additional freebies) and we bring a bit of culture and refinement to Plus with a launch discount on the absolutely gorgeous (and inexpensive) Pure Chess – we’re even throwing in a free piece of DLC for the game that has been described as ‘the Gran Turismo of chess’. How about that?

Alright, enjoy your racing and/or revenge killings. See you in the comments.

PlayStation Plus Content

Content and offers are available until May 2nd 2012 unless otherwise stated. Content may be added or removed, or move dates – please stay tuned to your weekly Store Update for the most up to date listings. Listed savings are approximate, based on SRP excluding Special Offer pricing and should be considered as a guide only:

From April 4th:

Wheels of Destruction – 20% off until April 18th
You save £1.59/€1.99

Mesh Plus-Exclusive Dynamic Theme – 100% off
You save £1.59/€1.99

Samurai Plus-Exclusive Dynamic Theme – 100% off
You save £1.59/€1.99

Six Plus-Exclusive Avatars: Dead Cloud; Mutant Skull; Gear and Green/Brown/Pink Demon Beans
You save £0.21/€0.25 per avatar

Escape Plan Avatar Bundle
You save £0.79/€0.99

Still to come later this month:

• Pure Chess – Launch discount and Park DLC included at no-cost
  • House of the Dead 4 – Launch discount, free Theme and Avatars
  • Sonic CD and other Sonic content exclusively discounted for Plus members

Please note: additional offers may become available throughout the month. Keep an eye on the Plus section of the PlayStation Store and the weekly Store update posts for more information.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

210 Comments 16 Author replies
Show oldest first

Shank 2 and Shift 2 Unleashed are really great titles! Fantastic update!

But where are our promised mid-month treats for March (the huge amount of titles the US Plussers got in February)?

March had great content as well, but please, don’t make promises you can’t keep, it makes a very bad impression.

Ross McGrath 29 March, 2012 @ 2:12 pm

I’m currently organising those extra games which will not be exactly the same ones, but some of them will be the same – we are doing our absolute best to sync up with the main monthly content and as ever, we’re working towards a completely parallel program.

Nice update…!

one thing though.. no Ghost Recon Beta for us EU guys..? (didn´t see it mentioned here)

Ross McGrath 29 March, 2012 @ 2:15 pm

The situation with the Future Soldier Beta in SCEE is not yet clear so I’m afraid I’m unable to comment at this point. Rest assured we are fully aware that there will be Plus involvement for the beta in SCEA and if we are able to do something similar here then we will.

well happy with that.

lots of great content and the 2 ps3 games are quite new which is always good :)

dillusion 29 March, 2012 @ 2:05 pm   4

Thank you very much Ross, great update! I didn’t understood when Silent Hill will be available though? Next week, in two weeks or in the last week?

Ross McGrath 29 March, 2012 @ 2:13 pm

Sorry about that – to clarify, Silent Hill will be available from April 11th until May 9th (one week into the next update to make up for the lack of it being here for the first week of the refresh). I hope that explains things. :)

Super Happy I didn’t buy Shank 2 the other week now.

DJbruce92 29 March, 2012 @ 2:06 pm   6

Already have Shift Unleashed 2 on disc so this is kinda meh for me, Though I haven’t got Shank 2 yet.

Very nice update.

Ross McGrath 29 March, 2012 @ 2:17 pm

I apologise for not being clear on the timeframe and giving the wrong impression, my exact words were ‘within a few weeks’ and I hope to be able to stand by that but sometimes these negotiations take a little bit of time.

jamiefinney 29 March, 2012 @ 2:07 pm   8

any chance of ps classic Nightmare Creatures coming to plus in a future update?

whittle1 29 March, 2012 @ 2:08 pm   9

Thanks for giving us more than x3 avatars this month… bundles are the way forward.

The US is getting Frogger on the 17th, will we also get it as a mid-month treat?

And what about the trials. You said there would be more last month, but still only 19 are available. The US got way more, so I hope you can do something about that.

Ross McGrath 29 March, 2012 @ 2:18 pm

I’ll be working on that today – you should see lots of additional title trials from EA and 2K games coming shortly.

Carnivius_Prime 29 March, 2012 @ 2:09 pm   11

Shank 2′s fantastic though I already bought it on release day. I’ll take Shift 2 even though the only Need for Speed I’ve really enjoyed so far is Hot Pursuit (would love the downloadable of that for free to get rid of my disc please :D ) but I’ll give it a go and see how I get on with it.

I’ve no interest in Silent Hill whatsoever but I’ll take it cos it’s free and goes into my PS1 folder. And more free Minis are always welcome. Cheers!

Ross McGrath 29 March, 2012 @ 2:19 pm

You’re most welcome. Give Shift 2 a spin, it’s a little more serious and focused than Hot Pursuit but it’s a great racing game nonetheless.

Another excellent PS+ month. I saw the post on the US Blog but tried not to get my hopes up, thankfully SCEE has delivered and I am really pleased with this content.

The great roll for PS+ continues, thanks for rewarding our loyalty! :)

One thing I would like to see in these posts is the file size…..and what happened to the new grid layout, it was better presented that way.

Cheers,

Mik

Ross McGrath 29 March, 2012 @ 2:24 pm

If people would like to see the Store post grid layout for these posts then I’m happy to implement it for you – if anyone else would like to comment on whether they’d like to see the grid layout here then let me know in the comments.

James Gallagher 29 March, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

You’re going to be coding blog posts from now on, Ross? That is music to my ears!

On a serious note, the grid format I’ve been tinkering with looked great on a PC but not so good on the PlayStation App, sadly. However, in future I can lay out PS Plus posts just like yesterday’s Store update, with the thumbnails next to the game title. I think that looks great and it works on every channel and browser I’ve tested it on.

Ross McGrath 29 March, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

Ha! Well James, of course I defer to your judgement. Sir. ;)

PinothyJ 29 March, 2012 @ 2:09 pm   13

Ohhh! Update news from the future!

You would not happen to have the lottery results free, aye?

Pity…

Twinkling82 29 March, 2012 @ 2:10 pm   14

The date says april 4th, what about this weeks PS plus offers? :)

andyant1 29 March, 2012 @ 2:12 pm   15

Hi Ross

Can I ask whats happening about more 1 hour trials? It has been mentioned a couple of times that more are on the way, but to no avail so far?

Cheers

MafiaCub 29 March, 2012 @ 2:12 pm   16

Ok… so where Frogger? this is now another game to add to the 6/7 that the US has that we don’t that you PROMISED us nearly a month ago.

Any update on us getting these games yet?

Other than that, an awesome update.

the silent hill comment, does that mean we’ll get it in 2 weeks and it will be available all of may aswell?

Catkiller1 29 March, 2012 @ 2:13 pm   18

“Loads of additional Plus discounts on upcoming sale items, including a launch discount on ‘Episodes from Liberty City‘ on April 11th” PS2 TITLE, YES?

I nearly purchased Silent Hill last night, as I want to play that title, before heading into the HD Collection!

Where is the promised content that we missed out on that the US had? They received 12 titles!!

Shift 2 is a fantastic freebie, so thanks for that ;) Please would you kindly submit the file size?

Katun78 29 March, 2012 @ 2:17 pm   19

Very good update, PS+ March and April have a very strong content! BIGs!

jilthemin 29 March, 2012 @ 2:17 pm   20

That are two [EDITED] awesome games we are going to get for free! I’m glad i bought PS+ and i hope there is gonna be a lot more fun stuff this year. Sony <3

monkelus 29 March, 2012 @ 2:17 pm   21

Silent Hill?! Woot!

What with that and the every PS1 Resident Evil you are single handedly making my PSP feel less like a poor man’s Vita these days.

Happy man is happy!

gamefreak666 29 March, 2012 @ 2:17 pm   22

Notice there is an Escape Plan avatar bundle, but is there any plans to give us any PS Plus Vita content? Any news on the fix for PS Plus minis to work on the Vita also ps1 games on the Vita? Why is the mini Monopoly not on the store?

Sorry if any/all these have been answered previously, i’ve been busy the past few months.

Skookie30 29 March, 2012 @ 2:18 pm   23

I’m so glad that i this time never bought shank-2 even though shank-1 was awsome but let me tell you it was really really hard to stop meself buying it.

you could say i’m a conpose buyer but i said to my self i got games to continue and finish.

i haven’t bought arc the lad 2 yet i thought that will be a ps1 classic free because SCEA had all 3 Free.

but Ross you get a 4/5 this time from me. :D

Catkiller1 29 March, 2012 @ 2:18 pm   24

Just to let some of you know, Gamestation are going to receive GAMEs stock in the next 5 days with extra reductions! Original PSP for £29.99, Nintendo DS Lite for £39.99 & big savings on games too!

Mass Effect 3 is on SALE today only, for £23.99 @ Play.com!

RagingAvatar 29 March, 2012 @ 2:19 pm   25

Episodes from Liberty City? What is this?
Did you mean ‘Liberty City Stories’, the PS2 game? If so, yay!
If not, what did you mean by launch?

Ross McGrath 29 March, 2012 @ 2:26 pm

To clarify, R* are releasing the standalone version of Episodes from Liberty City – that is, The Ballad of Gay Tony and The Lost and Damned – which will work without needing to own GTA IV.

Paul2007 29 March, 2012 @ 2:19 pm   26

Great update!I bought the first NFS Shift and thought the handling was rubbish. I have heard it has improved for S2U so am very much looking forward to playing it just so I can drive the Maserati MC12 GT1.

Overall this is a very good PS Plus update. Good stuff!

When will the minis we have gotten from ps+ work on PSVITA?

Ross McGrath 29 March, 2012 @ 2:27 pm

We know about the issue and this will be addressed in a future PS VITA firmware update. I’m afraid I can’t be any more specific than that at the moment.

Thanks for the replies! Now we know you are still working on getting those titles over here!

Keep up the good work! Plus is fantastic.

RagingAvatar 29 March, 2012 @ 2:21 pm   29

Please see #25. He has a very important point that needs addressing.

Oh yeah, it would be great to get the minis we have gotten from Plus working on PSVITA (same goes for the Psone titles).

vonhammer 29 March, 2012 @ 2:23 pm   31

Ross,If I do a one hour trial,do I also get the latest patches.For example BF3 latest update.

I was going to dismiss Shift 2,but it’s got bathurst so i’ll probably get it for that

LAClennell 29 March, 2012 @ 2:24 pm   32

Lame update [>_>]

Catkiller1 29 March, 2012 @ 2:25 pm   33

Any chance every other month, we could receive a Neo Geo title or PS2 title, as part of our subscription please?

Also, will their be a 20% discount like last year, for a full 12 month PLUS subscription? I don’t want the complications that came with a bundle, that includes a free game!

Player42791 29 March, 2012 @ 2:25 pm   34

@Catkiller
Episodes from liberty city is the 2 DLCs for GTA 4.
They’re already on the store but not as a compilation I think

Ross McGrath 29 March, 2012 @ 2:32 pm

That’s correct, these will function without the need for the GTA IV core game.

cthulhu85 29 March, 2012 @ 2:27 pm   35

Hey Ross!

Is there any plans on increasing the storage size for cloud saves? I’ve recently filled the cloud save up, and it would’ve been really nice to not have to delete save games on the cloud since that kinda kills the whole idea of having it. While I personally love all the stuff we get with Plus and all the efforts you and your team puts into getting good games and such, I’d still prefer if you’d boost the cloud save to maybe twice of what it is today. It’s one of the main reasons why I keep the subscription going on Plus :)

Cheers!

Ross McGrath 29 March, 2012 @ 2:37 pm

Hey, great to hear that. Increasing cloud storage is something that is in discussion internally at the moment and we’re aware that it’s a very popular feature, so thanks for bringing it up!

Catkiller1 29 March, 2012 @ 2:28 pm   36

@ Player42791

Yeah, a bit disappointed about that…..SIGH, oh well ;)

windsorblue01 29 March, 2012 @ 2:30 pm   37

just to let people know there is a free theme from the studio for plusers its not in the plus section but the main latest page on the store near the bottom of new this week

30# Always people who can never be happy. This is a great update imo.

TalllPaul 29 March, 2012 @ 2:32 pm   39

Really happy to see Shift 2. I used to have it but ended up having to trade it. Cracking racer.

Catkiller1 29 March, 2012 @ 2:33 pm   40

I hope I Am Alive doesn’t turn out to be another AMY! I’ll await reviews & comments from members on this BLOG, before a purchase.

Player42791 29 March, 2012 @ 2:33 pm   41

@Catkiller1

I doubt they’ll add them to the PS2 classics range if the rumours about a HD collection are true

vonhammer 29 March, 2012 @ 2:36 pm   42

@cthulhu85
150 isnt enough.I recently decided i’d wipe my HDD,I a 100+ plus games,countless vids 100′s of GT5 pics.But I couldn’t fit all my saves :(
Also i’d ask for delete all option,I cant be bothered deleting over 100 saves (thats just PES edit) it takes forever.

Any promotions on getting on to Plus any time soon?
I look for an insentive (free game to keep or discount on 1 year Plus) to get on the Plus bandwagon.

Great job Ross!

I remember very well how you promised an improvement about 1 year ago, when the european Plus service was clearly inferior to the american version. I admit, I barely believed that you’d able to achieve much at all and surely not what managed to offer within the last few months.

So my dearest thanks for your great effort, it is appreciated. I just wish everyone else from SCEE would be as sincere, in that case I could buy a Vita and believe that there is chance that I will stay faithful to Sony when Orbit/PS4 raises.

Ross McGrath 29 March, 2012 @ 2:38 pm

Thank you for the support, it means a lot to us. I am the first to admit that we’re not quite there yet but we are most assuredly heading in the right direction and your comment is appreciated.

Catkiller1 29 March, 2012 @ 2:36 pm   45

@ Player42791

The rumours were for 3 & Vice City! I’ll keep my eyes peeled lol!

I’m looking forward to the eventual release of Toki Arcade: Remixed & Ross, please can we have a SALE on the PLUS subscriptions?

MafiaCub 29 March, 2012 @ 2:37 pm   46

With regards to the reasoning “I said a few weeks” for the PS+ content to match up. The Term ‘few’ is used to indicate a small number, and is generally shorter than several (which is actually 5 and up)

So the few weeks is 4 at most, which is up, and you’ve not given ANY update on this? don’t you see why people would be annoyed at that? It’s not just that it’s not here, it’s that you ignored everyone questioning it, until today where you said you’re ‘still organizing’ which given how long it took to organize some previous store updates could mean a month or two longer yet.

Would it hurt you to let us know which ones you CAN confirm right now? Surely you have one confirmed right?

Would it hurt you to say “Sorry, it took a little longer than I thought but we should be good by the end of April” (e.g.)???

MafiaCub 29 March, 2012 @ 2:37 pm   47

But you give us nothing. You tell us we’re getting stuff, then you just leave every with questions for weeks on end. It’s like you see the blog as a joke. The blog is the only way to update customers as to what is happening, we can’t phone or email you directly (and rightfully so) this is the communication hub, it’s where all communication happens. So how come we only get one PS+ post in a month, and anytime anyone asks we’re told “Ross will address this in a PS+ update” and we don’t get anything until you do your one post of the month 4 weeks later?

I know you work hard, I appreciate that, but it would have taken you ten minutes to respond to ANY of the dozens of questions people had about that content for the last 2 weeks and nothing came. To now be told “Too bad, still gotta wait” with no more info, and seemingly another game missing for us (Frogger), it’s annoying.

FrostScythe1 29 March, 2012 @ 2:38 pm   48

BEST UPDATE EVER!!!!! THANK YOU ROSS!!!

Catkiller1 29 March, 2012 @ 2:40 pm   49

@ Golwar

I think you mean “Orbis” ;)

Also, I hope that rumour stays a rumour. Locking retail discs & digital titles & no backwards compatability = FAIL!!

Raiden74 29 March, 2012 @ 2:47 pm   50

Nice update! PS Plus keeps getting better and better lately! :D

When would it be possible to have Journey at a discount? I know it had a discount when it came out… but I think it’s still a bit expensive for a 2/3 hour game, even if it is wonderful, just like Flower was.

And what about a F.E.A.R. 2 Reborn DLC discount or price cut?

Load all