Posted 29 March

Journey Breaks PSN Sales Records

Hello, PS Blog readers. It has been an exciting two weeks for us since we launched Journey on the PlayStation Store. We see the personal connection between our work and the players, which is the most real and priceless reward for us. For that, we thank you so much for your support, for spending time and money to play our game, and for spreading the word about Journey to your dear friends and family. Thanks to you all, Journey has officially broken PlayStation Network and PlayStation Store sales records, surpassing all games ever released on the PlayStation Network to become the fastest-selling game ever released on PlayStation Store, in both the SCEA and SCEE regions.

Screenshot0008 Desert4

After we released Flower in 2009, players sent hundreds of emails about their experience with the game. They varied from a 9-year-old girl to a 65-year-old man, from a marine serving duty overseas, to a soldier returning from Iraq. There were even stories about a mother’s memory of her two children in the wheat fields, a surreal butterfly fantasy from someone’s grandmother who passed away, and a young man who spoke about his brother who has Down syndrome. Those kinds of letters are what drive us at TGC to keep working.

And now, the reaction to Journey has been even more overwhelming. We have received more letters from fans in the two weeks since Journey’s launch than we did for Flower over the past three years!

background_hd

We owe a lot to our fans. In fact, the idea of forming the thatgamecompany team to create games with Sony Santa Monica originated from several dozen emails that players sent in after playing our first student game, Cloud, from our time at USC. It was the players who told us how moving the game was and how it was important that we keep making these types of games so that more people in the world will realize what video games can be, and can grow to love games through our work. To me, that was a life-changing moment. I knew making games was my life calling.

tumblr_m1e2lnqInL1rsn7m0o1_500

This art piece expresses our gratitude.

Lastly, a lot of you have seemed to really enjoy the music in the game, which was composed by Austin Wintory. And we’ve received a lot of requests to release the soundtrack of the game. Well, I’m happy to announce that the soundtrack will be hitting the PS Store and iTunes on April 11, and there will be a limited CD release in the near future as well.

Thanks, again, for all your support! We’ll see you online!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

38 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Rashilda 29 March, 2012 @ 3:09 pm   1

Thank you so much for releasing the soundtrack to Journey. Keep making awesome and great games.

Paha-Vaatturi 29 March, 2012 @ 3:12 pm   2

You know [EDITED] me off? Sharing blog images on Flickr. It works very seldom, and even then it’s slow as hell. And I have a 100/10 VDSL2.

Guri_Tricolor 29 March, 2012 @ 3:14 pm   3

Well-deserved! Congrats on all the amazing games!

MK24ever 29 March, 2012 @ 3:21 pm   4

The game deserves all the success it can have, it was the best MP experience I ever had in gaming, and by best I mean the more emotionally fulfilling!

Thank you for realeasing one of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had! I’m now really curious as to what you guys will do next? Are you gonna be staying with Sony now that your 3 game contract is up? I think the partnership you and Sony have has been amazing.

Deaf_Raiders 29 March, 2012 @ 3:28 pm   6

I played the beta (member of the Beta Tester Team) version of the game, did not like the feel of it and wasn’t for me. I am move of a uncharted and RPG gamer. Well Done on achieving so many targets.

somethingatt 29 March, 2012 @ 3:32 pm   7

I hope publishers are looking! First a PnC adventure gets funded like crazy through Kickstarter, now Journey fastest selling. Lesson learnt: We don’t only pay shooters and are in fact getting sick of them!

I love this game to pieces, a generation defining game (along with Heavy Rain and flower).

Faustofausto 29 March, 2012 @ 3:33 pm   8

Journey deserves the “fastest-selling game” title, it’s a digital masterpiece! The hardest trophy is the Return, because it’s not simple to don’t play the game! :D
I’m looking forward the soundtrack!
You release a “thatgamecompany limited edition collection”, which contains flOw, Flower, Journey, soundtrack disc, artbook, etc… If you make it, I’ll preorder, deal? ;)

Amazing! The game is awesome and I was happy to play the Beta.
I hope Sony will buy more exclusives from this wonderfull company, it´s what Playstation makes what it is.

SSJ3_Bob_Marley 29 March, 2012 @ 3:36 pm   10

Will there be a demo?

MK24ever 29 March, 2012 @ 3:41 pm   11

@29 A demo wouldn’t work with this game believe me.

dillusion 29 March, 2012 @ 3:43 pm   12

Please stay with Sony guys! You’re doing a great job! The best, in fact!

Congratulations!

SSJ3_Bob_Marley 29 March, 2012 @ 3:56 pm   14

@10: That doesn’t sound reassuring, thanks for the heads up, though. :]

Nightmare966 29 March, 2012 @ 4:03 pm   15

Hi Mr.Chen! First of all, let me say I’m sorry to hear that Thatgamecompany’s cofounder has left (although we all wish her the very best for her!). Secondly, thanks for creating Journey. I believe I’ve never ever played anything so beautiful. It’s an incredible experience that I could never imagine I’d ever see. I’ve done 3 journeys for now, and I can’t wait on getting my PS3 up and running and going another one.

On the other hand, thanks for releasing the game’s soundtrack. That music is half the experience, so it would have been a shame for it to not be released! It’s also coming on my birthday, so that makes it even better!

Mike Kebby 29 March, 2012 @ 4:04 pm   16

I sat down and played this game for the first time last night, had one sublime playthrough and didn’t move until I had completed it.

The art style, the music, and most importantly the sense of story and emotion you convey as the game plays out is immense. I loved every second, and started a second playthrough almost immediately after the first.

A truly amazing game, and kudos to all the team at thatgamecompany for this wonderful achievement.

shotgun_69 29 March, 2012 @ 4:05 pm   17

OH OH OH that soundtrack is well getting downloaded, don’t think I’ve ever been this excited for a soundtrack in my life lol can’t wait to relax in the sun listening to Journey and remembering all the wonderful sights in the game. Me and my pal actually coined a phrase which describes Journey perfectly, it’s an eyegasim.

HiTmAn_pT 29 March, 2012 @ 4:07 pm   18

I’m really glad that this game is get the love that it deserves… By far one of the best game/experience that i ever played… So, ThatGameCompany, you don’t have to thank us, WE thank you for that masterpiece! xD

VictorAnalogy 29 March, 2012 @ 4:10 pm   19

Awesome game. Congrats on the numbers. I’ve been a fan since playing Cloud on PC (which could perhaps do with a cheeky PS3 port) and loved Flow and Flower. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with next.

Congratulations.

I’ve played the game. Didn’t have a clue what to do.
Just followed another player for a while.
Graphics and music are wonderful.
But a little more clues on what to do are welcome.

Congratulations – the success is very well deserved.

I love this game and can’t wait for the soundtrack. Looking forward to your future projects :)

MohammedMK 29 March, 2012 @ 4:59 pm   22

This is simply an exceptional game. I’m proud to be one of its owners.

This is one of the very few games that proves that a game’s length isn’t very important. It’s all about the experience.

Thank you Sony and thatgamecompany for giving us such an unforgettable game, it will remain in my heart forever.

Can’t wait!!

Wonderful game, music, art..everything is great in Journey!

@SSJC3BobMarley; Theres a space for Journey in Playstation Home. It gives you a little glimpse of what the game is about.

Tenchuwoh 29 March, 2012 @ 6:31 pm   24

Journey is just the best Downloable game ever made!

And you don’t want to make the PS3 and Sony your home? Come on Jenova, sign on the dotted line. You couldn’t possibly regret it.

I must say, I had a 2nd run through of Journey (something I rarely do on games) and it was even better than the first time. I managed to find a partner in the game and got to play through the majority of it with them, that bond built from just chirps/singing was one of the most amazing experiences in gaming. Simple as that.

I thank you Jenova for an amazing experience, but it will be sad that you won’t be joining the Sony family.

CoolRichy008UK 29 March, 2012 @ 7:05 pm   26

i bought this 1st & completed it 1st & played it 1st beta testers dnt count ^^ best game ever its way better then black crap ops lol

FBZ1501 29 March, 2012 @ 7:11 pm   27

Congrats on the sales, in fact what record has been broken and how many people out there have picked it up?

BigPaja 29 March, 2012 @ 8:12 pm   28

The money was well worth it. No other game has touched me like Journey did. When I was braving the mountain, I was fighting for that anonymous cloaked companion and not just for myself. I was moved to tears and then I felt great happiness. Again, not just for myself but mostly for my companion. I’m strictly a singleplayer kind of guy but Journey is a game where I find multiplayer most desirable. It’s almost unbelievable how much was achieved in this game with so little.

I’m very excited to hear that the soundtrack will be released. I am so getting the CD version. I must own it!

OPS_GEAR107 29 March, 2012 @ 8:33 pm   29

THis game is like no other PSN game I played it’s amazing My hat goes off to “Thatgamecompany” and Santa Monica Studio.

amin_mj 29 March, 2012 @ 9:12 pm   30

Have you any incomig project ?
TNX

Juhal_1234 29 March, 2012 @ 9:41 pm   31

Amazing game, truly enjoyed the experience, though i do want a downloadable content to go with it, you know expand the beauty, then again maybe not.

Austin Wintory is a legend and his soundtrack put a teardrop down by eye, superb score, now im waiting for the FlOw soundtrack to be sold on the playstation store as well

That is great.

I’ll defenitely get this game later when I have the time and the money for it…

Robert-Ninja 29 March, 2012 @ 10:52 pm   33

Record sales? Sheehs, guess nobody heard of Black March.

LordCartman 29 March, 2012 @ 11:29 pm   34

Flower was my first experience of That Game Company and I found it an incredibly cathartic experience: coming in from work and spending a couple of hours just floating, completely shed me of the stresses of work.

When Journey was announced, I knew that whatever was delivered would be a unique experience that would likely not fall into the standard stereotype for gaming. Journey delivered, and delivered in spades!

The 10 minutes I spent with a complete stranger in the open desert, “playing” with them, calling to them and floating in the sky touched me more than any other online moment in any other game. Journey is a game that I will go back to regularly, just to meet other people in such a unique environment.

HaRRy-HatCHeT 29 March, 2012 @ 11:47 pm   35

This game just blew me away & the music to me is simply the best in-game music I’ve heard in years. All in all, this has to be the best game for this generation & I’m not joking when I say that. The whole experience throughout, especially near the end, the game brought a few tears to my eye while I was watching what was on the screen & what I was listening to. It was just pure awe playing every second of it. The online play is just brilliant being able to make the “Journey” with a wondering, unknown traveller having no idea who they are until you walk into the light & the credits finish. Simply stunning, unique, beautiful & mind blowing. Thank you for having the guts to make this once every decade kind of game. Thank you Sony, thatgamecompany & Austin Wintory for giving me this incredible experience. 10/10 for the game & music :) Oh, I hope you don’t mind but I just love listening to the music so much, I have some of the scores on my YouTube channel. If any of you love the music aswell, feel free to pay my channel a visit. http://www.youtube.com/user/HatCHeTHaZ

kaori714 30 March, 2012 @ 12:46 pm   36

How many ???

diddysan 1 April, 2012 @ 7:48 pm   37

art for the eyes and ears! time 2 play it again :)

belovedklowny 15 April, 2012 @ 7:21 am   38

After my 100th Journey I’m no less amazed by this masterpiece than I was after my first. Nothing else comes close.