Posted 6:00pm

Awesomenauts is PS Plus Game of the Month for May

Ronimo Games here with two golden news nuggets: Awesomenauts will be blasting on to PlayStation Store for PS3 on May 2nd and it will be PlayStation Plus game of the month! PlayStation Plus subscribers can grab it throughout May at no extra charge.

Imagine ’80s Saturday morning cartoons and platforming shooters made sweet love. Awesomenauts is what their love-baby would look like! Awesomenauts is an online, class-based, side-scrolling shooter: Left Stick for walking, Square for shooting, X for jumping. The game blends intense platforming combat with lethal skills and strategic team-play to produce a unique DOTA-like competitive experience. Matches are played out online or offline in 3 vs 3. Coordinate attacks with your buddies and gather solar to unlock and upgrade your weapons. Outsmart enemy players, and push your way through turrets and waves of droids to destroy the enemy base.

You’ll be able to play as several unique Awesomenauts. Wreak havoc as Clunk, a giant rocket launching, self destructing robot. Harass your enemies as Yuri, a jetpack-rocking, mine-throwing, bad mannered monkey. Or hip-hop your way to victory as Froggy G, throwing watery breakdance moves to dazzle your opponents. Each character fulfills a unique role within a team, and their abilities can be customized with all kinds of upgrades you unlock as you storm the online arena!

Awesomenauts for PS3 (PSN)

Life as an Awesomenaut is best enjoyed with friends, so we’ve included splitscreen! In fact, you can play with up to three people on the same console and dominate online and offline matches as a team.

We want as many people as possible playing Awesomenauts, and hope the game will have a large community. That’s why we’ve teamed up with Sony to make the game free for Playstation Plus subscribers throughout May! And we’re preparing to support the game with new characters and items in the near future to make sure the game stays fresh.

Awesomenauts for PS3 (PSN)

In Awesomenauts you can always get straight into the action; the game has full drop in support where humans can replace bots at any time during a match. Have friends come online while you’re already in a match? No problem, just send them an invite and they can drop into your game straight away. You’ll never have to wait in lobbies for a match to start!

We are really excited to test our mettle against you all online. Just nine more days until you can gear up and see if you’ve got what it takes to be an Awesomenaut. Hope to see you online next week! We’ll be playing for sure, so check out twitter.com/RonimoGames and facebook.com/Awesomenauts to stay up to date on any playsessions we’ve got going on.

Use your power, show your might! Win the cosmic war, the Awesomenauts!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

23 Comments 7 Author replies
Show oldest first

xenokiller90 24 April, 2012 @ 6:15 pm   1

looks awesome x)

WolfiePL 24 April, 2012 @ 6:19 pm   2

this is gonna be fun ^^

Carnivius_Prime 24 April, 2012 @ 6:21 pm   3

Looks plenty entertaining. Splitscreen and online. And free for us Plus folks. Thanks very much. :)

Robin Meijer 24 April, 2012 @ 6:35 pm

You’re more than welcome :) Splitscreen is definitely a great way to play the game: nothing beats hainvg fun with friends!

Mike Kebby 25 April, 2012 @ 11:00 am

I want in too…Ross and I used to play DOTA together (though I was always holding the team together) and he needs my leet skills to back him up ;)

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 6:25 pm   4

Looking really great, Robin! I’m a big fan of the old DOTA-style of gameplay and I’m very pleased to welcome Awesomenauts into PlayStation Plus.

Robin Meijer 24 April, 2012 @ 6:40 pm

James Gallagher 25 April, 2012 @ 9:25 am

Can I be on the Ronimo team?!

Can I play this by myself or do I need to play it with others.
Because of the morfine I need to use my mp skills are horrible and no fun because of that.

Robin Meijer 24 April, 2012 @ 6:37 pm

You can play on your own against AI-bots if you wish. Their strength adapts to your own account level, so they start off fairly easy when you play for the very first time but become pretty brutal as you get more experienced.

Shifty_Geezer 24 April, 2012 @ 6:45 pm   6

That is sooo 80′s Saturday morning cartoon, it really is awesome. I can imagine the cheesy moral+everyone laughing end cutscene now. Really good job guys/

Hell-Raiser-85 24 April, 2012 @ 6:45 pm   7

This look fun cant wait. Can you post the trophy list please?

Robin Meijer 24 April, 2012 @ 6:51 pm

Heya, the trophies are as follows:

- Yoooo JOE!: Win an online game session.
    - Master of the Universe!: Reach max level.
    - Wings of silver : Collect 35 Solar on a drop-pod drop.
    - Slimer’s evil twin: Kill the Solar boss in an online game session.
    - Awesomenauts, roll out!: Unlock 3 characters.
    - Thunder, thunder, thunder!: Get a killing spree.
    - In pole position: Make the most kills of both teams in an online game session.
    - Party at Sky Vault: Win a game session with 2 friends splitscreen.
    - Let our powers combine!: Play a game session with friends invited through the game session setup.
    - Bionic family: Win game sessions with six different characters.
    - T-U-R-R-E-T powah!: Destroy 25 turrets.
    - Hawk, wolf, puma and bear: Kill 1000 droids/creeps.

I’m not sure which ones are Bronze, Silver, or Gold, but I’ll make a note to check that. We’ll make sure to post that information on our Facebook page later this week.

Thanks Robin, you made my day.

Prem-aka-Prince 24 April, 2012 @ 7:12 pm   9

Ronimo games, where have I heard that name… ah, Swords & Soldiers! I got that quite a while ago on Wii. I remember it was very well made, but I could never get the hang of which units to deploy and when, so I found it difficult. But this kind of platformer shooter should be much more familiar to me, I look forward to its release!

I see you’ve got another charming art style going on, and there seems to be lots of personality put into the characters. Though, it remains to be seen whether ‘Awesome!!!!’ will be funny or just annoying… I’ll give you the benefit of the doubt for now. xD
Though I will say I hope the English writing is a bit better in this game than it was in the original release of S&S. I realise that you’re not a UK or US studio, but still I hope comes out well in English.
Thanks for making a post about this. It’s made me want to download and try this game much more than just seeing it on the release list, even if it is free.

FBZ1501 24 April, 2012 @ 7:17 pm   10

Looks well worth a blast and being FOC to Plus members is great news.

Any chance of it coming to the Vita any time soon??

Robin Meijer 24 April, 2012 @ 7:21 pm

Sorry, no plans to bring it to the PS Vita at this time. The Vita is awesome though, so maybe some time in the future.

harde1979 24 April, 2012 @ 7:46 pm   11

Looks promising, me and my sister will luv it…

This looks AWESOME!! Love the 2D dota style!!

Shifty_Geezer 25 April, 2012 @ 12:00 am   13

Can coop be played against AI bots?

ChameleonVector 25 April, 2012 @ 12:33 am   14

Love DOTA, so I can’t not wait for this. :D Some thing to tie me over until DOTA 2, aha. Also, if you guys do this;

“Posted on 24 April, 2012 at 6:40 pm by Robin Meijer

Thanks Ross, glad you like it :) Maybe we should have some sort of epic Playstation Blog vs. Ronimo Games showdown when the game comes out!”

You’s should totally live stream or record it and put it on Youtube. :D

pb-live 25 April, 2012 @ 8:35 am   15

Cool. Looking forward to a bit of 80′s action. Thanks for making this a PSN+ title.

AoNekoAmaru 25 April, 2012 @ 10:23 am   16

This might be the first time ever I had to wonder what kind of cereals to have with my gaming. =D

Looking forward to enjoying this slice of retro-stylish frantic action with the friends. ;)

taurus82 25 April, 2012 @ 11:00 am   17

Any chances of seeing Proun or a Proun-like music visualisation for PS3 & Vita?

Gimme a heavy title instead of this please. I mean emulators do the trick for these kinda games. Journey would have been much better, as would the ICO/Shadow of the Collosus pack.

sharpenedpixel 25 April, 2012 @ 12:14 pm   20

Any chance of a demo for this? There’s no reviews so I am reticent to start up a 3 month Plus subs to get it ‘free’ (due to having all the other decent games this month).

Carnivius_Prime 25 April, 2012 @ 12:35 pm   21

@19 by ‘heavy’ I assume you mean ‘tedious’ given the games you mentioned. Never could stand those. Like a bit of action in my games myself. And emulators? I quite like getting NEW never been played before games that are old-style in gameplay or graphics myself and in this age where every other release is yet another samey first person shooter that’s a good thing.

vherostar 26 April, 2012 @ 9:00 am   22

Most cheesy trailer ever?

FuzzyChimp 29 April, 2012 @ 10:14 pm   23

What happening now the publisher has gone in to liquidation? Are we still getting this or will it be substituted with another game?