Posted 10:00am

PlayStation Home 1.65 Update Arrives

PlayStation Home will be offline from 8AM BST on Wednesday 25th April for routine maintenance. Here is what to expect after the update…

Mansion_InfinityPool3_1280x720

The big news this week is that the PlayStation Home 1.65 update is here, bringing improvements to speed and ease of use on the menu screen, graphical UI tweaks, clearer representation of furniture limits, and much more.

Some of the highlights include:

Menu Screen
The new Menu Screen replaces the old Menu Pad. It functions in a very similar way to the old Menu Pad but we have made many improvements to its speed and ease of use. Browsing your inventory from the Menu Screen now uses the same system as the Wardrobe and Furniture Browser.

Personal Voice Chat
The new Personal Voice Chat system replaces the old Telephone Call system. The major benefit of this new system is that a Personal Voice Chat is treated as another voice channel by the chat log which means all communication is now managed from one place: the Chat Log. You can switch between voice channels while remaining in a Personal Voice Chat without having to end the conversation.

Furniture Slots
Each apartment or clubhouse can hold up to 100 items of furniture measured in slots. Prior to patch 1.65 a Normal Furniture Item always took up 1 slot and an Active Furniture Item always took up 22 slots. With patch 1.65 developers will now be able to create Normal and Active Furniture Items of different slot sizes. Therefore Active Furniture Items can be created that take up fewer slots and you will be able to place as many Active Furniture Items in your personal space as will fit. How many slots a piece of furniture will use is also displayed on the detail page of each item when you are viewing it in the store.

There are several other improvements in this patch. For full details of the 1.65 client update, visit the PS Home forums.

Also this week, Lockwood brings to you two sophisticated yet scintillatingly glamorous outfits to clad yourself in. You don’t need to be a celebrity to look amazing, after all! But, you CAN be a celebrity if you look amazing!

Lockwood_BombShellPlaywright_1280x720

With the timeless design of the beautiful Bombshell dress, watch jaws drop as you strut by in this sensual yet sophisticated attire. Complete the look with the value pack, including voluptuous hair and glitzy heels! The playwright is a sucker for a pretty face; look the part and he might create a dreamy role for you in the next blockbuster film. Gentlemen, wear the playwright suit to attract the eye of a beautiful lady, and let’s hope your social skills are as suave as your garb in case she comes your way! Why are you still reading? Get to the Lockwood Store and pick up your new outfit right now!

Wrangler open the doors to their first ever concept store in PlayStation Home. Set in the West Mall, the Wrangler store brings the very latest designs to the PS Home community in virtual form. The storefront incorporates key elements from the brands rich history such as the iconic Blue Bell. With 10 new items at launch, the Wrangler store will continue to bring the latest designs from the brand to the PS Home community in the months ahead.

Wrangler_Store_1280x720

Just when you thought you couldn’t get any better with the new Ground Floor PS Mansion…now you can get the PS Mansion Infinity Pool to impress your friends with!!

Mansion_InfinityPool1_1280x720

Mansion_InfinityPool3_1280x720 Mansion_InfinityPool2_1280x720

It even comes with six items to reward them with! There is a hidden treasure somewhere in the backyard. It will unlock something special somewhere in the mansion (…not necessarily the Infinity Pool!). If you purchased the ground floor already, you can now get the Infinity Pool at a discount. Either walk to the pool doors in the Mansion or head to Estates to get in on the action!

Other updates this week include a new arsenal of weapons and armour for those battling the Mononoke in the Great Edo of Nippon. Konami’s recent Secret Agent costumes are now available as individual clothing parts in Alter Ego, while in the Home Stuff store it’s peace, love and trees! Get eco-conscious with Juggernaut Games’ GreenMachine. This robotic companion was “liberated” from a top-secret government facility and reprogrammed as a free-spirited bohemian. Groovy!

GreenMachine_256x368

Lastly, the nDreams Spring Sale will be ending after this week’s maintenance, so bargain hunters be warned, this is your last chance to snap up some cut price nDreams goodies!

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

50 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first

PFC_Hudson 25 April, 2012 @ 10:05 am   1

Good to hear about the active item size options for the developers

I’d love it if they could possibly re-code the smoke machines to be of a lower item count as then my Batman Batcave ‘Disco’ themed design could have several smoke machines going AND the Playground Boombox for music

James Gallagher 25 April, 2012 @ 10:08 am

Thanks for the feedback – I’ll collate it all and pass it on to the Home team, as always.

Skookie30 25 April, 2012 @ 10:14 am   2

It time to go back on home and check the features out but it be much better if we got namco game space + UGC, I’m more excited for E3 what in store for home + so rumour ps-orbis.

My only issues ive had with home is sometimes I join a multi-player game such as bootleggers or sodium 2, it says “waiting for server” followed by something like “activity channels have been disabled”

by what the patch notes say hopefully this will be a great improvement to home in general, especially the active items bar/limit

keep up the good work guys

Bumblebee 25 April, 2012 @ 11:23 am   4

Have you improved the avatar speed, animation and footfall sounds yet?

Because the one thing that stops me from enjoying home is the fact that it feels “wrong”. Like silently skipping limp-wristedly through porridge. Whereas moving your character should feel exciting; more like Uncharted than a weekend at Duncan Norvelle’s Training Camp.

Does anyone know when the home client 1.65 update is released as the last update was released just after home went offline for its weekly maintenance but atm the next home client update has yet to have been released. Looking forward to the 2nd part of the home mansion. Always wanted it to be released over here now it has i’m getting all 4 parts

ninja_tom 25 April, 2012 @ 11:28 am   6

Any sign of a Vita client for this?

Its about time home got some kind of levelling system or at the very least some trophies to earn. It’s still a non game to many gamers, adding either of the two things I suggested could really change peoples perception of home.

PFC_Hudson 25 April, 2012 @ 11:40 am   8

@pnov81

Several games inside Home, such as Aurora already have leveling systems. There isn’t really a way to implement leveling to all of Home

Also, several Audi games do have in-game trophies. Again, I really don’t see why real earnable trophies are needed in Home. It’s a social application and not a game. It’s catagory is fine as it is

loonytoon1982 25 April, 2012 @ 12:16 pm   9

@pnov81

Therein lies the problem where people believe it to be a game. Where it happens to be a social media app where PS3 gamers can interact outside of the games they play.

As for the update, I look forward to seeing what has made the cut and what hasn’t. The overhaul in menu style being the first in the 4 years I have been on Home takes a little getting used to but once you get the hang of it; it’s all good.

The implementation of the furniture limits is a good idea, one that I suggested personally in a different manner. I believe it shows that client feedback certainly gets listened to and if it can be done, they will do it. It’s slowly getting to it’s full potential and it’s a pleasure to see the changes over time.

With more and more games entering the fray, there’s definitely something to suit the tastes of everyone. It might have its doubters who keep asking silly things like “Do people still use Home?” and they simply don’t get the purpose of it. But hey to each their own!

Carnivius_Prime 25 April, 2012 @ 12:44 pm   10

@pnov81 Levelling up? Home is meant to be basically a social chat hub sorta thing. I’ve no idea why on earth you’d want to complicate that with levelling up (a system that has become ridiculously overused and ruined many an otherwise decent game). Home is not a game. It has mini games and such and can launch various games but let’s not try to turn it into something it’s not.

Anyways I’ll have a look at what the update does. I’m not a big Home user (or online gamer, bar Uncharted 3, nor spend much time communicating online at all, prefer real people face to face) but I do pop in there from time to time with a couple friends off PSN to have a catch up chat and play a bit of pool or bowling.

Could you change the sit animation, it looks you´re on a toilet.
Also loading times are still very very long.
And still no love for Plus member like the US (Club X7)?

Hey sup Loony.

Hmmm.
I think your always gonna get “Do people still use Home” from time to time because Home is such a departure from say what I do mostly on my PS3 to the likes of someone who uses Home regularly.
I still know people on my friendslist who doesn’t even know what Home, to this day. LOL

Being involved in something bigger.
Even though I was there from the very beginning, how excited I was for the future of Home; I can honestly say Home is little to be desired in terms of bringing the Playstation community together, making my gaming time more apart of something. If say Home was totally intergrated with the XMB like the 360 avatars are then you got yourself a winner but until that day Home will always be a missed opportunity.

Pricing.
69p for Angry Birds on iOS yet £1.79p for a virtual Tshirt?! – need I say more.

Lets start again.
Anyone that knows me knows that I don’t hate Home, I just hate that people seem to think that Home is now hitting its stride when SCEE seem to add anything & everything except what actually matter.

I’d wish Home took another path. Its really sad.

Skookie30 25 April, 2012 @ 2:46 pm   13

Yo Kap

you know my views about the infamous Cash-cow i haven’t been on home since i bought the yacht & some pets.

it much better then open beta but the xmas quest was a epic fail, it look like SCEE home team doesn’t know what it’s doing.

SCEA home is still better then our EU home, i say this if E3 is like last year the HOME is done for.

such a pity what happens if home close down? my/ours items we bought wasted.

they no partially between the 3 regions just wish home is like partially with SCEA plus. :(

SirJake_Brookes 25 April, 2012 @ 3:05 pm   14

new update will improve PSH as for last few days it’s had some faults. obviously mansion update suits everyone which has one. overall 1.65 sounds good to me. Any Chelsea fans here. Cheer on the blues.

andycass 25 April, 2012 @ 3:07 pm   15

@pnov81 I doubt trophies are going to change peoples opinions of home. For the majority of us none users Home feels like its targeted at 10 yr old girls who love dressing their virtual dolls and dolls houses.

supersmith2500 25 April, 2012 @ 3:21 pm   16

And it’s under maintenace. *sigh*

supersmith2500 25 April, 2012 @ 3:22 pm   17

And it’s under maintenance as usual. *sigh*

DAVIE222 25 April, 2012 @ 4:27 pm   18

the biggest problem with home is there is absaloutly no sound atall in alot of spaces, wich makes it sound muted! put music in spaces and fix the bad animation. other then that, ps home is good.

supersmith2500 25 April, 2012 @ 4:41 pm   19

And I still can’t log in. FIX IT!

DAVIE222 25 April, 2012 @ 4:59 pm   20

8 hour matinence!!!

DAVIE222 25 April, 2012 @ 5:00 pm   21

love the new icon!

mdogg91 25 April, 2012 @ 5:04 pm   22

Still Offline :(

neilc010 25 April, 2012 @ 5:12 pm   23

Sony may i ask why is home still down for maintenance. Its been since 8am this morning. People want home back up this is getting silly now. Come on put home back on. Should cd done by now

Blood-Red-RoseUK 25 April, 2012 @ 5:46 pm   24

I’ve been told by a friend that Home won’t be on until either 10pm or 8am tomorrow. What are you guys doing at all?? Counting to a thousand before doing every little detail? Unbelievable.

SirJake_Brookes 25 April, 2012 @ 5:58 pm   25

hey everyone home is back up. I just tried it & it loaded before I quit to write this comment.

DAVIE222 25 April, 2012 @ 6:27 pm   26

the graphics look the same, no inprovments!

SirJake_Brookes 25 April, 2012 @ 6:44 pm   27

so your judging it by graphics and not by how awesome navigator bar.LOL

procion 25 April, 2012 @ 6:45 pm   28

I agree with Bumbebee Its silly being in Home stuck in a vacuum Footfalls would be great. Also in my club I have adiscreetly place toilet. Being able to juudge some clubmenmber guilty on splash sound would be awesome. I was hopping around Home in my Bunny avie, as u do, and thinking about what bumblebee said last week and I agree it is silly having no sound.

G_L_OoO_R_Y 25 April, 2012 @ 9:29 pm   29

Great changes ;D 

kosigan 25 April, 2012 @ 9:52 pm   30

Since loading the 1.65 update, Home has hung on me twice. When I’ve gone to my Harbour Studio apartment and press Start to bring up the menu, it just freezes. The PS button on the controller does nothing; I have to power off the console. When it comes back on, it has to check the file system. I think I’ll be leaving Home alone (pardon the pun) for a while.

OnE-JoKeR_ 25 April, 2012 @ 10:58 pm   31

All sounds very nice, but I just wish PS Home would stop disconnecting with some server error.

Spursfann 26 April, 2012 @ 7:59 am   32

I HATE THIS UPDATE HOME WONT LOAD PLEASE HELP!!!

1.65 apparently has problems with localisation, had to change system language to English (UK) to get it started.

djmo121 26 April, 2012 @ 9:33 am   34

I like to go to PS Home sometimes but I get frustrated with the loading space times. Can’t PS Home have all the spaces connected to each other instead of separating them?

What on earth have you done to the pool and bowling on Home, they are both rubbish.Pool is virtually unplayable.Check your chat logs for last night to see what people really think.

BRING BACK OLD TABLES

DEATHWISH2478 26 April, 2012 @ 12:06 pm   37

@ comment 30.

this happened to me also i rang sony australia and there support staff are very stupid. they automatically after 1 hour of the update being live said oh we havnt had any complaints so it must be you. how bloody funny.

DEATHWISH2478 26 April, 2012 @ 12:07 pm   38

they dont even test this stuff out. but i have a fix for you but you will not like it as it invloves deleting home, your settings and the home save data and home game data. once anything to do with home has been deleted then when u re install and update it. it should work fine.. the situation is with the old home it would load up navigator by default (starting point for home) now with this new update 1.65 the navigator menu has changed and no longer is loaded at start or default. the default home space will load as default unlike previous version which loads navigator. so somthing in one of the settings/saves/game data is different to the new ps home 1.65 but ps home 1.65 will still read and load old settings thus crashing home when loading.

DEATHWISH2478 26 April, 2012 @ 12:07 pm   39

DEATHWISH2478 26 April, 2012 @ 12:08 pm   40

so somthing in one of the settings/saves/game data is different to the new ps home 1.65 but ps home 1.65 will still read and load old settings thus crashing home when loading.i am unsure if this is why it is crashing when you press the start menu to bring up navigator but when i deleted all home saves and home game data then it loaded perfectly fine. you shouldnt even need to reset your cache or uninstall home (ONLY GAME DATA FOR HOME AND SAVE DATA FOR HOME)

DEATHWISH2478 26 April, 2012 @ 12:09 pm   41

sorry for the double post @ 38 and 39.

pooey909 27 April, 2012 @ 3:53 am   42

with the current update i am very pleased with the ease of which we can now adequately manipulate the entire structure of the ps home network..but i and many of us who have been in the pshome bowling alley have concluded that the new dynamics and the new physics to the brightened up electric pool tables are without a shadow of any doubt useless and literally unacceptable.
i must emphasis this as i as a loyal member to the pool hall alley with alongside many other loyal pool members of this community are totally bewildered on why SOny would change the entire game mode and its physics?it is absolutely non-sensicle and damn right stupid of Sony to have changed this already existing perfectly functional game into a farce.
we all must band together on this issue as many of us are and angry ..SOLIDARITY I NEED ON THIS ISSUE AND TOPIC PLEASE.

Stonesthrow 27 April, 2012 @ 12:10 pm   43

Home content is way too expensive. I’d say 50 cents is a lot for a simple outfit, but they pass around for 2 Euros or more. Can’t believe I used to buy this overpriced stuff.. For an actual game I might get a 2 Euro outfit if I like it, but for Home it should just be cheaper. 5 Euros for a simple Home location, they should be ashamed. That and the fact that I’m not the most social of creatures has pretty much put me off on Home.

NT19734 29 April, 2012 @ 9:06 am   44

hello james can you please tell me y every time i try 2 relocate on playstation home i get network error code d5021 it has been going on 4 over a week now

Evi_leon 29 April, 2012 @ 3:09 pm   45

Error D5021 y error f13 continuamente.

shy2devil 30 April, 2012 @ 12:56 pm   46

Yeh same, can’t get into any of my apartments since update, always stops at end of load bar with D5021 error, have to re-login every time.

neilc010 30 April, 2012 @ 1:26 pm   47

Yep me and me mates are also getting the d5021 error code. Rung sony all they said was check your modem and clear the router told them its not our end but their end they just don’t wanna do anything about it shows other people are also getting the d5021 code not just us. SONY TAKE HOME DOWN AND FIX THE DISCONNECTION ISSUES

DeathBringer136 30 April, 2012 @ 4:13 pm   48

I just want to play TIMESPLITTERS again on my ps3 n i want to see TS1 n TS2 n even TS future perfect appear on the ps store. i miss playing them games.

it would be kool to dress the ps home avatar as a character from the Timesplitters series.

Skookie30 30 April, 2012 @ 9:36 pm   49

hmm SCEA blog been updates SCEA home getting mavel new film items & silent hill downpour diner personal space are we getting that.

komani are uselessly good when their release home content. :|

SirJake_Brookes 1 May, 2012 @ 11:54 am   50

Home is offline. at last after two weeks of constant errors they finally fixing server despite tomorrow is weekly update but at lest after tomorrows update.Home should be back at 100% otherwise angry mob will return if we get errors again. Good luck PSH Team I really hope you find & fix problem. Yours Faithfully HRH Prince Jake.L.Sodium The V