Posted 12:59pm

‘Heads-Up’ PlayStation Plus Update – 2nd May 2012

awesomenauts

As you already know, you will find naught but awesome in May’s PlayStation Plus update, by way of Ronimo Games and DTP Entertainment’s Awesomenauts! featuring team-based, cartoony, objective-based action for up to six players online and featuring a soviet space-monkey called Yuri. There’ll be a launch post from the developers coming soon, so stay tuned to the blog to find out more!

And if a brand-new PSN title’s not enough for you, the lovely folks at TikGames and Creat Studios have signed up to offer you no fewer than eight of their catalogue, available for the next two months at absolutely no cost. Go get your Hamsterball on, I know you want to!

tikgames

I’m very sorry to have to tell you that there’s no PS one Classic in May (but there’s still a couple of weeks left to grab Silent Hill) – instead we bring you a PS2 Classic title in the form of Max Payne, brand-new to our Store and available to all our subscribers at no-cost! If you’re excited for the release of Rockstar’s Max Payne 3 later this month, there’s no better way to get yourself in the mood (unless you throw yourself out of a window in slow-motion, but I’ve never seen anyone do that in person).

maxpayne

New minis! Can they stand up to the sublime Floating Cloud God… well if anyone can bring us another hit it’s Futurlab, (creators of Coconut Dodge) with their brand new title, Velocity. We’re also including the recently released LA Gridlock for you as part of your subscription.

As promised, we also have 17 new title trials added to the Full Game trials section for you to get to grips with, (with more on the way before June) so if anything takes your fancy be sure to download and give it a whirl – 60 minutes and counting!

And later in the month? How about a launch discount on Binary Domain, SEGA’s criminally underrated robot shooter? What would you say to a 20% launch discount on Move-enabled mystery, Datura? We’ll even throw in some free day-one DLC for Ubisoft’s new downloadable ATV racer, Mad Riders?

It’s a big month, guys! I hope you’re all looking forward to May 2nd as much as me! See you in the comments.

PlayStation Plus Content

Content and offers are available until June 6th 2012 unless otherwise stated. Content may be added or removed, or move dates – please stay tuned to your weekly Store Update for the most up to date listings. Listed savings are approximate, based on SRP excluding Special Offer pricing and should be considered as a guide only:

From May 2nd

You save £7.99/€9.99

Smash Cars – 100% off until July 4th
You save £11.99/€14.99

Classics

Silent Hill (PSone Classic) – 100% off
You save £5.49/€6.99
Only available until 9th May 2012 – grab it before it’s gone!

Max Payne (PS2 Classic) – 100% off
You save £7.99/€9.99

minis

Velocity (minis) – 100% off and two weeks exclusively for PS Plus.
You save £3.99/€4.99

Mad Riders Plus-Exclusive Dynamic Theme – 100% off
You save £1.59/€1.99

OddWorld Plus-Exclusive Dynamic Theme – 100% off
You save £1.59/€1.99

Five Plus-Exclusive Avatars: Koala, Snake, Bunny, Frog and Chimp
You save £0.21/€0.25 per avatar

Still to come later in May:

• Datura – Launch discount
  • Binary Domain – Launch discount
  • Mad Riders – Free day-one DLC pack available at launch

… And as usual, loads of additional Plus discounts on upcoming PSN Store Special Offers.

Please note: additional offers may become available throughout the month. Keep an eye on the Plus section of the PlayStation Store and the weekly Store update posts for more information.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

173 Comments 24 Author replies
Show oldest first

almighty-slayer 24 April, 2012 @ 4:10 pm   1

i don’t think there’s a word in the dictionary for how awesome this update is

hbrilakis 24 April, 2012 @ 4:11 pm   2

wow very very nice :)

loonytoon1982 24 April, 2012 @ 4:13 pm   3

It’s a great update but a sad sight to behold for me personally. I happen to own or have played all of those games (including full game trials) apart from Awesomenauts.

MaikelSteneker 24 April, 2012 @ 4:15 pm   4

Oh no, my Plus subscription ends on May 1st. Guess I’ll have to resubscribe, because this looks great!

TheNarrator 24 April, 2012 @ 4:16 pm   5

very, er, awesome(nauts) update! looks like Plusers are getting more cool stuff :)

will there be any deals on the subscriptions for Plus any time soon? gotta renew in a few months and have been waiting for an added extra to be bundled in :D

Could you tell us if we get a day one discount on The Walking Dead Game?Thankyou

Carnivius_Prime 24 April, 2012 @ 4:17 pm   7

That’s a lot of free games. I have a couple (Sky Fighters which is great and Magic Orbs which is my second favorite Breakout clone on PS3, the first being Shatter) but there’s a couple there I haven’t tried or didn’t feel I’d enjoy enough to be worth paying much for, so cheers. Not fussed about Max Payne but I’ll download it anyways to see how well PS2 games hold up on PS3 before I finally make a decision on purchasing my old fave Maximo Vs Army of Zin (I think I may be too used to the lovely work done on the HD collections of various PS2 franchises).

psvmatje 24 April, 2012 @ 4:18 pm   8

I’m getting a rollercoaster in my pants from this list

CRASHBASHUK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:19 pm   9

arr no R&CHD collection discount for download ver? :(

epicgamer0 24 April, 2012 @ 4:22 pm   10

i can’t wait to play max payne, will it be HD?

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

Hello, no, Max Payne is a PS2 classic title like those recently released on the Store, not an HD remake.

MWorldII 24 April, 2012 @ 4:23 pm   11

Great!

FemmeFox 24 April, 2012 @ 4:25 pm   12

Whoo! Wakeboarding HD?! I keep forgetting about that game! Glad I did, now I get it for free.

When do we see the normal store Heads Up? Looking forward to Dragon’s Dogma demo.

Also, any word on PSVita getting its PSOne support?

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

Jawad will have your Store ‘Heads Up’ tomorrow as normal – no news on the PSone support yet I’m afraid.

Does this mean that Rock of Ages still doesn’t have a date for SCEE regions then? Its free on the american plus this month. I understand the castlevania stuff not translating over though, because, well, it isn’t on the EU store, is it. :P

Aside from that, outstanding update, Ross. A free PS2 game, 9 free PS3 games, and even more discounts on awesome stuff. You’re the best :)

(P.s. pretty please help Rock of Ages make it through SCEE’s submission process this time. I’d love it to come out at the same time as the US release, even if it isn’t free over here.)

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

Hey Ben,

Well, I can sort of deliver on that, only it’s backwards.
    You see, we can’t make Rock of Ages come out at the same time as SCEA I’m afraid, the game needs a bit more time to bake.

That said, when it DOES come out here in SCEE, we might well be able to make it available to Plus members at no cost.

So I hope that’s a fair compromise. :)

Fragpuss 24 April, 2012 @ 4:28 pm   14

suprised rockstar missed the chance to make some extra cash by releasing max payne 1 and 2 as a HD collection to be honest, i would’ve bought it, whereas i won’t be buying this one because i already have the game on disc

As for the tiki/creat games deal, haven’t america had this deal for months now? sadly i already have every single one of those games

looks like may is going to be a poor month for me to be a plus subscriber

Still, we usually get some decent stuff i don’t have, so 1 month isn’t too bad, really wish Puddle would be a free or at least discounted game on plus, and/or the toasted sandwich of time, £7.99 on psn, but only £2.99 on steam, for the same digital distribution technique… yeah just saying, i’ll be waiting for a huge price drop on that

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:31 pm   15

Ross McGrath plz bring max payne 2 and more ps2 games to the store like

the warriors & Bully both rockstar games that i miss loads see about addin them soon oh and all 3 timespliters games

Ross,

fair is fair, that’s a compromise that works well by me :) Keep up the good work.

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:34 pm   17

i got about 5 games on the free list but il pick up the other free ones :) great update ross

i hope the max payne cheats still work on this emulated version :D

add

max payne 2
bully
the warriors
timesplitters 1 2 3

and il get a job at sony :D lol

adumr82 24 April, 2012 @ 4:34 pm   18

Would love to see an upgrade to cloud storage soon, or even better why not let people use their own dropbox account or something similar, that way you don’t have to have us nag you about space.

jakster123x 24 April, 2012 @ 4:35 pm   19

:O

Wow.

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:35 pm   20

Ross McGrath yes i agree make rock of ages free for ps plus oh plzzz bring theme park world to ps2 classics

SlimeTyrant 24 April, 2012 @ 4:35 pm   21

I honestly don’t even have words to describe how happy I am right now. At the risk of sounding like a suck-up, thankyou to everybody who is in any way, small or otherwise, associated with bringing us PS+ subscribers, content. I haven’t even touched Shift 2, Shank 2, Silent Hill or the Resident Evil games and yet here’s another DOZEN free games.

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:36 pm   22

jakster123x is exited as well lol

live4ent 24 April, 2012 @ 4:37 pm   23

Loving the fact you have given us all plenty of notice of what PS PLUS subscribers get.
Please continue to do this more in future.
Very happy with the line up as there are a few games I wouldn’t mind trying so I may have to look into renewing my subscription which has just over a week left.
Could you please try and spread the free stuff weekly, so instead of getting everything at once, we get something every week?
Just think it gives us all something to look forward to, because otherwise I will probably download them all, then not really spend much time on them as I will move on to the next game.

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

Thanks for that feedback, we’re looking at ways of distributing content at the moment so any opinions or ideas are welcome.

One more question, sir :)

In this post about 4am, Rowan mentions a beta;

But, the beta is nowhere to be found on this list. Oversight? :)

Here’s the quote, for your convenience;

“Very soon we’ll be holding an early access Live Beta for PlayStation Plus members. A limited number of codes will be given to PS Plus members who own a Move, allowing them to get a first taste of performing in 4am. There will also be a 4am Free Viewer beta download available to ALL PlayStation Plus members. During the course of the Live Beta, we’ll host some special live performances from around the world, including DJ Baiyon performing live from Japan. Any PlayStation Plus members with the 4am Free Viewer are of course welcome to spectate. The PixelJunk 4am Live Beta will start from April 26th and run for 2 weeks. Keep an eye out for further details very soon on how you can get in.”

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

You just cannot get anything past you, eh?
    No, the PixelJunk 4AM Beta will be available for PS+ subscribers from THURSDAY, 26th May – prior to the refresh. There will likely be a blog post about it.

It’s like I have no surprises left now!

Jikashi 24 April, 2012 @ 4:38 pm   25

Goddamn it PS+, I’m getting free or heavily discounted games faster than I can actually play or even start half of them lol

MafiaCub 24 April, 2012 @ 4:39 pm   26

Took long enough to get those extra games, but now this update is here, It’s AWESOME. Better than I was expecting by a long way, I want pretty much all of those free games, and now I know we don’t get Inferno Pool I’ll go nab it from the US store for $3

Great job guys, finally starting to move towards being on par with other regions.

SHAFTRULES 24 April, 2012 @ 4:39 pm   27

superb!

Nice cross-exchange. We get the Tiki games, they get Trine 2. No idea if any of those games will catch my attention, but at least Awesomenauts! seems intersting.

And a PS2 classic might actually be the first classic game that I play. PSOne titles are generally too outdated … and ugly. I’d much rather play SNES or even NES games than those.

I see that the US get Rayman Origins for $15, that would be the price where I’d hit the buy button too. Please check if that would be possible Ross, thanks. :)

CookieMonsterES 24 April, 2012 @ 4:42 pm   29

What a great update! As always, good work, Ross!

Now that the complete edition is out, would it be possible to have the Fallout New Vegas DLC pieces discounted for Plus subscribers? having them for free like you guys did with the Fallout 3 DLC would be even more awesome but I guess that’s too much to ask for :P

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestion – I know Andy has been working on a sale that you’ll see later this month which might just tickle your fancy.

SKELLY7 24 April, 2012 @ 4:42 pm   30

Of all the times my PS3 had to break it had to be when we got an amazing update. Hopefully I’ll get my new PS3 back in time to try out all these awesome games.

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:44 pm   31

ross i hope them ps plus updates are tomorrow NOT 2nd MAY i want them free things now

supersmith2500 24 April, 2012 @ 4:45 pm   32

Best freebies ever! Don’t mind no free PS1 Classic and too #9, R&C HD Collection doesn’t come out till 18th May as stated many blogs ago. Hope I can get my PS3 back in time since you know my Blu-Ray drive is broken. -_-

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:45 pm   33

arghhh 1 week to wait :( wish max payne was added tomorrow

Sonicramit 24 April, 2012 @ 4:46 pm   34

Great update! Looking forward to playing Max Payne again after so long!

By the way, is there any chance of seeing the Dragon Age Origins DLC and Awakening Expansion on PlayStation Plus? I recently completed the main game but the DLC still seems very pricey for a relatively old game!

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll look into it.
    Don’t forget Max Payne 3 is out later this month!

Opt1mus76 24 April, 2012 @ 4:46 pm   35

Hi guys. Some nice stuff for next month. Don’t suppose you can share some info on Datura (Price and release date), pretty please? Looks like could be really interesting

bazer24773 24 April, 2012 @ 4:48 pm   36

great update :D but will there be any stuff for the ps vita any time soon?

Catkiller1 24 April, 2012 @ 4:50 pm   37

Now that’s what I call an update :)

That content alone is more than the years subscription!

Well Done indeed!

Out of the TIK games only Hamster Ball for me due to owning the rest. Max Payne, Awesomenauts & the 2 minis are a very generous offering!

The TIK games 100% off until July 4th, does that mean you have to pay for them if you want to own them after that date, or is it due to the fact that the new PLUS content refresh, is on that date?

Kind Regards & fantastic update!

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

Nope, nothing shady, they’re just going to be sat in the catalogue for two months instead of one, so you can feel free to download them from May 2nd through to July 4th and of course as long as you keep up your subscription you can keep playing them.

vonhammer 24 April, 2012 @ 4:51 pm   38

Was going to echo V_Ben’s comments on 4am.Just seen your reply.

Good list of games,i’ll probably try Mahjong,and pick up the rest as go along.

This could be a long shot,and i’ll ask jaw tonight.Does the timing of the OddWorld theme mean the patch is close.It’s like second advertising push for the Move update?

Outstanding, what a(nother) great PS+ update, cheers guys!! :D

Don’t worry about the lack of a PS One game, that’s no big deal…especially given the bountiful riches we have been given.

Oh and perhaps best of all, no Sonic game in sight! ;)

Mik

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

Unfortunately we can’t bring you Castlevania as it doesn’t exist in our region, but I hope Max Payne makes up for it.

Oh, almost forgot – will there be a deal on the Plus subscribtion anytime soon? Still got some months to go, but the sooner that I can resubscribe, the better. ;)

Catkiller1 24 April, 2012 @ 4:52 pm   41

If any of you members out there are still waiting for your Renegade Ops DLC code for the PLAY promotion voucher, then let Mike Kebby know within the Sonic Episode 2 post, as he’s currently messaging them!

jakster123x 24 April, 2012 @ 4:53 pm   42

@22: A little bit :) Also, Timesplitters!!!

Btw Ross, ignore @23. :) Seriously though, you could download all the games at once, and then just spread your playtime of the games over the 4 weeks?

Just a suggestion.

vonhammer 24 April, 2012 @ 4:54 pm   43

Forgot about this.

regarding the auto download,is there not a way we can pre select what we want the PS3 to download.Like a sub section on the + store were we tick what we want.

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

This is something that we know people want and we’re discussing it with SCEI, but no firm plans yet. Thanks for the feedback!

Awesome. Really great to see you added a brand new game.

Great you got us the “US” games as well in the end!

crackalakaling 24 April, 2012 @ 4:56 pm   45

nice update. any chance of a plus discount for the jack and daxter trilogy?

vonhammer 24 April, 2012 @ 4:58 pm   46

Thanks for the quick response.

thehappyworm 24 April, 2012 @ 5:02 pm   47

Sweet update!

Now, if you’re looking for suggestions, Ross… With PixelJunk 4AM launching next month, wouldn’t a special PixelJunk sale be just the thing to celebrate? With extra bonus discounts for Plus subscribers? :-)

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

A PixelJunk sale you say? I’m sure I wouldn’t know anything about such a thing…

No love for the Vita? :(
Can we atleast play Max Payne on it? :P

edviges1 24 April, 2012 @ 5:06 pm   49

This is very very very very goood!!!

laticspieman 24 April, 2012 @ 5:08 pm   50

Thanks for the awesome update! Any chance of a discount on doctor who the eternity clock when it is released?

Load all