Posted 12:59pm

‘Heads-Up’ PlayStation Plus Update – 2nd May 2012

awesomenauts

As you already know, you will find naught but awesome in May’s PlayStation Plus update, by way of Ronimo Games and DTP Entertainment’s Awesomenauts! featuring team-based, cartoony, objective-based action for up to six players online and featuring a soviet space-monkey called Yuri. There’ll be a launch post from the developers coming soon, so stay tuned to the blog to find out more!

And if a brand-new PSN title’s not enough for you, the lovely folks at TikGames and Creat Studios have signed up to offer you no fewer than eight of their catalogue, available for the next two months at absolutely no cost. Go get your Hamsterball on, I know you want to!

tikgames

I’m very sorry to have to tell you that there’s no PS one Classic in May (but there’s still a couple of weeks left to grab Silent Hill) – instead we bring you a PS2 Classic title in the form of Max Payne, brand-new to our Store and available to all our subscribers at no-cost! If you’re excited for the release of Rockstar’s Max Payne 3 later this month, there’s no better way to get yourself in the mood (unless you throw yourself out of a window in slow-motion, but I’ve never seen anyone do that in person).

maxpayne

New minis! Can they stand up to the sublime Floating Cloud God… well if anyone can bring us another hit it’s Futurlab, (creators of Coconut Dodge) with their brand new title, Velocity. We’re also including the recently released LA Gridlock for you as part of your subscription.

As promised, we also have 17 new title trials added to the Full Game trials section for you to get to grips with, (with more on the way before June) so if anything takes your fancy be sure to download and give it a whirl – 60 minutes and counting!

And later in the month? How about a launch discount on Binary Domain, SEGA’s criminally underrated robot shooter? What would you say to a 20% launch discount on Move-enabled mystery, Datura? We’ll even throw in some free day-one DLC for Ubisoft’s new downloadable ATV racer, Mad Riders?

It’s a big month, guys! I hope you’re all looking forward to May 2nd as much as me! See you in the comments.

PlayStation Plus Content

Content and offers are available until June 6th 2012 unless otherwise stated. Content may be added or removed, or move dates – please stay tuned to your weekly Store Update for the most up to date listings. Listed savings are approximate, based on SRP excluding Special Offer pricing and should be considered as a guide only:

From May 2nd

You save £7.99/€9.99

Smash Cars – 100% off until July 4th
You save £11.99/€14.99

Classics

Silent Hill (PSone Classic) – 100% off
You save £5.49/€6.99
Only available until 9th May 2012 – grab it before it’s gone!

Max Payne (PS2 Classic) – 100% off
You save £7.99/€9.99

minis

Velocity (minis) – 100% off and two weeks exclusively for PS Plus.
You save £3.99/€4.99

Mad Riders Plus-Exclusive Dynamic Theme – 100% off
You save £1.59/€1.99

OddWorld Plus-Exclusive Dynamic Theme – 100% off
You save £1.59/€1.99

Five Plus-Exclusive Avatars: Koala, Snake, Bunny, Frog and Chimp
You save £0.21/€0.25 per avatar

Still to come later in May:

• Datura – Launch discount
  • Binary Domain – Launch discount
  • Mad Riders – Free day-one DLC pack available at launch

… And as usual, loads of additional Plus discounts on upcoming PSN Store Special Offers.

Please note: additional offers may become available throughout the month. Keep an eye on the Plus section of the PlayStation Store and the weekly Store update posts for more information.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

173 Comments 24 Author replies
Show oldest first

almighty-slayer 24 April, 2012 @ 4:10 pm   1

i don’t think there’s a word in the dictionary for how awesome this update is

hbrilakis 24 April, 2012 @ 4:11 pm   2

wow very very nice :)

loonytoon1982 24 April, 2012 @ 4:13 pm   3

It’s a great update but a sad sight to behold for me personally. I happen to own or have played all of those games (including full game trials) apart from Awesomenauts.

MaikelSteneker 24 April, 2012 @ 4:15 pm   4

Oh no, my Plus subscription ends on May 1st. Guess I’ll have to resubscribe, because this looks great!

TheNarrator 24 April, 2012 @ 4:16 pm   5

very, er, awesome(nauts) update! looks like Plusers are getting more cool stuff :)

will there be any deals on the subscriptions for Plus any time soon? gotta renew in a few months and have been waiting for an added extra to be bundled in :D

Could you tell us if we get a day one discount on The Walking Dead Game?Thankyou

Carnivius_Prime 24 April, 2012 @ 4:17 pm   7

That’s a lot of free games. I have a couple (Sky Fighters which is great and Magic Orbs which is my second favorite Breakout clone on PS3, the first being Shatter) but there’s a couple there I haven’t tried or didn’t feel I’d enjoy enough to be worth paying much for, so cheers. Not fussed about Max Payne but I’ll download it anyways to see how well PS2 games hold up on PS3 before I finally make a decision on purchasing my old fave Maximo Vs Army of Zin (I think I may be too used to the lovely work done on the HD collections of various PS2 franchises).

psvmatje 24 April, 2012 @ 4:18 pm   8

I’m getting a rollercoaster in my pants from this list

CRASHBASHUK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:19 pm   9

arr no R&CHD collection discount for download ver? :(

epicgamer0 24 April, 2012 @ 4:22 pm   10

i can’t wait to play max payne, will it be HD?

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:23 pm

Hello, no, Max Payne is a PS2 classic title like those recently released on the Store, not an HD remake.

MWorldII 24 April, 2012 @ 4:23 pm   11

Great!

FemmeFox 24 April, 2012 @ 4:25 pm   12

Whoo! Wakeboarding HD?! I keep forgetting about that game! Glad I did, now I get it for free.

When do we see the normal store Heads Up? Looking forward to Dragon’s Dogma demo.

Also, any word on PSVita getting its PSOne support?

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:30 pm

Jawad will have your Store ‘Heads Up’ tomorrow as normal – no news on the PSone support yet I’m afraid.

Does this mean that Rock of Ages still doesn’t have a date for SCEE regions then? Its free on the american plus this month. I understand the castlevania stuff not translating over though, because, well, it isn’t on the EU store, is it. :P

Aside from that, outstanding update, Ross. A free PS2 game, 9 free PS3 games, and even more discounts on awesome stuff. You’re the best :)

(P.s. pretty please help Rock of Ages make it through SCEE’s submission process this time. I’d love it to come out at the same time as the US release, even if it isn’t free over here.)

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:29 pm

Hey Ben,

Well, I can sort of deliver on that, only it’s backwards.
    You see, we can’t make Rock of Ages come out at the same time as SCEA I’m afraid, the game needs a bit more time to bake.

That said, when it DOES come out here in SCEE, we might well be able to make it available to Plus members at no cost.

So I hope that’s a fair compromise. :)

Fragpuss 24 April, 2012 @ 4:28 pm   14

suprised rockstar missed the chance to make some extra cash by releasing max payne 1 and 2 as a HD collection to be honest, i would’ve bought it, whereas i won’t be buying this one because i already have the game on disc

As for the tiki/creat games deal, haven’t america had this deal for months now? sadly i already have every single one of those games

looks like may is going to be a poor month for me to be a plus subscriber

Still, we usually get some decent stuff i don’t have, so 1 month isn’t too bad, really wish Puddle would be a free or at least discounted game on plus, and/or the toasted sandwich of time, £7.99 on psn, but only £2.99 on steam, for the same digital distribution technique… yeah just saying, i’ll be waiting for a huge price drop on that

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:31 pm   15

Ross McGrath plz bring max payne 2 and more ps2 games to the store like

the warriors & Bully both rockstar games that i miss loads see about addin them soon oh and all 3 timespliters games

Ross,

fair is fair, that’s a compromise that works well by me :) Keep up the good work.

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:34 pm   17

i got about 5 games on the free list but il pick up the other free ones :) great update ross

i hope the max payne cheats still work on this emulated version :D

add

max payne 2
bully
the warriors
timesplitters 1 2 3

and il get a job at sony :D lol

adumr82 24 April, 2012 @ 4:34 pm   18

Would love to see an upgrade to cloud storage soon, or even better why not let people use their own dropbox account or something similar, that way you don’t have to have us nag you about space.

jakster123x 24 April, 2012 @ 4:35 pm   19

:O

Wow.

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:35 pm   20

Ross McGrath yes i agree make rock of ages free for ps plus oh plzzz bring theme park world to ps2 classics

SlimeTyrant 24 April, 2012 @ 4:35 pm   21

I honestly don’t even have words to describe how happy I am right now. At the risk of sounding like a suck-up, thankyou to everybody who is in any way, small or otherwise, associated with bringing us PS+ subscribers, content. I haven’t even touched Shift 2, Shank 2, Silent Hill or the Resident Evil games and yet here’s another DOZEN free games.

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:36 pm   22

jakster123x is exited as well lol

live4ent 24 April, 2012 @ 4:37 pm   23

Loving the fact you have given us all plenty of notice of what PS PLUS subscribers get.
Please continue to do this more in future.
Very happy with the line up as there are a few games I wouldn’t mind trying so I may have to look into renewing my subscription which has just over a week left.
Could you please try and spread the free stuff weekly, so instead of getting everything at once, we get something every week?
Just think it gives us all something to look forward to, because otherwise I will probably download them all, then not really spend much time on them as I will move on to the next game.

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:41 pm

Thanks for that feedback, we’re looking at ways of distributing content at the moment so any opinions or ideas are welcome.

One more question, sir :)

In this post about 4am, Rowan mentions a beta;

But, the beta is nowhere to be found on this list. Oversight? :)

Here’s the quote, for your convenience;

“Very soon we’ll be holding an early access Live Beta for PlayStation Plus members. A limited number of codes will be given to PS Plus members who own a Move, allowing them to get a first taste of performing in 4am. There will also be a 4am Free Viewer beta download available to ALL PlayStation Plus members. During the course of the Live Beta, we’ll host some special live performances from around the world, including DJ Baiyon performing live from Japan. Any PlayStation Plus members with the 4am Free Viewer are of course welcome to spectate. The PixelJunk 4am Live Beta will start from April 26th and run for 2 weeks. Keep an eye out for further details very soon on how you can get in.”

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:42 pm

You just cannot get anything past you, eh?
    No, the PixelJunk 4AM Beta will be available for PS+ subscribers from THURSDAY, 26th May – prior to the refresh. There will likely be a blog post about it.

It’s like I have no surprises left now!

Jikashi 24 April, 2012 @ 4:38 pm   25

Goddamn it PS+, I’m getting free or heavily discounted games faster than I can actually play or even start half of them lol

MafiaCub 24 April, 2012 @ 4:39 pm   26

Took long enough to get those extra games, but now this update is here, It’s AWESOME. Better than I was expecting by a long way, I want pretty much all of those free games, and now I know we don’t get Inferno Pool I’ll go nab it from the US store for $3

Great job guys, finally starting to move towards being on par with other regions.

SHAFTRULES 24 April, 2012 @ 4:39 pm   27

superb!

Nice cross-exchange. We get the Tiki games, they get Trine 2. No idea if any of those games will catch my attention, but at least Awesomenauts! seems intersting.

And a PS2 classic might actually be the first classic game that I play. PSOne titles are generally too outdated … and ugly. I’d much rather play SNES or even NES games than those.

I see that the US get Rayman Origins for $15, that would be the price where I’d hit the buy button too. Please check if that would be possible Ross, thanks. :)

CookieMonsterES 24 April, 2012 @ 4:42 pm   29

What a great update! As always, good work, Ross!

Now that the complete edition is out, would it be possible to have the Fallout New Vegas DLC pieces discounted for Plus subscribers? having them for free like you guys did with the Fallout 3 DLC would be even more awesome but I guess that’s too much to ask for :P

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:46 pm

Thanks for the suggestion – I know Andy has been working on a sale that you’ll see later this month which might just tickle your fancy.

SKELLY7 24 April, 2012 @ 4:42 pm   30

Of all the times my PS3 had to break it had to be when we got an amazing update. Hopefully I’ll get my new PS3 back in time to try out all these awesome games.

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:44 pm   31

ross i hope them ps plus updates are tomorrow NOT 2nd MAY i want them free things now

supersmith2500 24 April, 2012 @ 4:45 pm   32

Best freebies ever! Don’t mind no free PS1 Classic and too #9, R&C HD Collection doesn’t come out till 18th May as stated many blogs ago. Hope I can get my PS3 back in time since you know my Blu-Ray drive is broken. -_-

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 4:45 pm   33

arghhh 1 week to wait :( wish max payne was added tomorrow

Sonicramit 24 April, 2012 @ 4:46 pm   34

Great update! Looking forward to playing Max Payne again after so long!

By the way, is there any chance of seeing the Dragon Age Origins DLC and Awakening Expansion on PlayStation Plus? I recently completed the main game but the DLC still seems very pricey for a relatively old game!

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:50 pm

Thanks for the suggestion, I’ll look into it.
    Don’t forget Max Payne 3 is out later this month!

Opt1mus76 24 April, 2012 @ 4:46 pm   35

Hi guys. Some nice stuff for next month. Don’t suppose you can share some info on Datura (Price and release date), pretty please? Looks like could be really interesting

bazer24773 24 April, 2012 @ 4:48 pm   36

great update :D but will there be any stuff for the ps vita any time soon?

Catkiller1 24 April, 2012 @ 4:50 pm   37

Now that’s what I call an update :)

That content alone is more than the years subscription!

Well Done indeed!

Out of the TIK games only Hamster Ball for me due to owning the rest. Max Payne, Awesomenauts & the 2 minis are a very generous offering!

The TIK games 100% off until July 4th, does that mean you have to pay for them if you want to own them after that date, or is it due to the fact that the new PLUS content refresh, is on that date?

Kind Regards & fantastic update!

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:54 pm

Nope, nothing shady, they’re just going to be sat in the catalogue for two months instead of one, so you can feel free to download them from May 2nd through to July 4th and of course as long as you keep up your subscription you can keep playing them.

vonhammer 24 April, 2012 @ 4:51 pm   38

Was going to echo V_Ben’s comments on 4am.Just seen your reply.

Good list of games,i’ll probably try Mahjong,and pick up the rest as go along.

This could be a long shot,and i’ll ask jaw tonight.Does the timing of the OddWorld theme mean the patch is close.It’s like second advertising push for the Move update?

Outstanding, what a(nother) great PS+ update, cheers guys!! :D

Don’t worry about the lack of a PS One game, that’s no big deal…especially given the bountiful riches we have been given.

Oh and perhaps best of all, no Sonic game in sight! ;)

Mik

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:56 pm

Unfortunately we can’t bring you Castlevania as it doesn’t exist in our region, but I hope Max Payne makes up for it.

Oh, almost forgot – will there be a deal on the Plus subscribtion anytime soon? Still got some months to go, but the sooner that I can resubscribe, the better. ;)

Catkiller1 24 April, 2012 @ 4:52 pm   41

If any of you members out there are still waiting for your Renegade Ops DLC code for the PLAY promotion voucher, then let Mike Kebby know within the Sonic Episode 2 post, as he’s currently messaging them!

jakster123x 24 April, 2012 @ 4:53 pm   42

@22: A little bit :) Also, Timesplitters!!!

Btw Ross, ignore @23. :) Seriously though, you could download all the games at once, and then just spread your playtime of the games over the 4 weeks?

Just a suggestion.

vonhammer 24 April, 2012 @ 4:54 pm   43

Forgot about this.

regarding the auto download,is there not a way we can pre select what we want the PS3 to download.Like a sub section on the + store were we tick what we want.

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 4:55 pm

This is something that we know people want and we’re discussing it with SCEI, but no firm plans yet. Thanks for the feedback!

Awesome. Really great to see you added a brand new game.

Great you got us the “US” games as well in the end!

crackalakaling 24 April, 2012 @ 4:56 pm   45

nice update. any chance of a plus discount for the jack and daxter trilogy?

vonhammer 24 April, 2012 @ 4:58 pm   46

Thanks for the quick response.

thehappyworm 24 April, 2012 @ 5:02 pm   47

Sweet update!

Now, if you’re looking for suggestions, Ross… With PixelJunk 4AM launching next month, wouldn’t a special PixelJunk sale be just the thing to celebrate? With extra bonus discounts for Plus subscribers? :-)

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 5:07 pm

A PixelJunk sale you say? I’m sure I wouldn’t know anything about such a thing…

No love for the Vita? :(
Can we atleast play Max Payne on it? :P

edviges1 24 April, 2012 @ 5:06 pm   49

This is very very very very goood!!!

laticspieman 24 April, 2012 @ 5:08 pm   50

Thanks for the awesome update! Any chance of a discount on doctor who the eternity clock when it is released?

edviges1 24 April, 2012 @ 5:12 pm   51

I would like Uncharted 3 dynamic theme for free!! Plus subscribers!

thehappyworm 24 April, 2012 @ 5:17 pm   52

“A PixelJunk sale you say? I’m sure I wouldn’t know anything about such a thing…”

:-D WOOHOO!

No frogger?, the extra game this month in the us (not the next month).

SSJ3_Bob_Marley 24 April, 2012 @ 5:20 pm   54

My wallet is ready. Bring it on, Sony.

Molloyo4291 24 April, 2012 @ 5:28 pm   55

This is brilliant. Despite the fact that I bought Max Payne for my iPod last week and that I already have the game for PC, I still want to have it on my PlayStation again! And for free on PS+. Nice touch. Thing is though, my old PlayStation 3 broke while I was playing Max Payne from the PS2 disc. So I’m hoping that’s not a bad omen there! :S

Skookie30 24 April, 2012 @ 5:29 pm   56

so are Ps2 classics will be the norm because that is shocking i love Ps2 classics hell yes but can them play on my PSP or ppl Vita Hell no.

can we have ps1 classic & ps2 classics minis are cheap putting them as plus & not Ps1 classics.

lastly ross thanks you never in the end let us down let hope we have partially with SCEA.

RiPFuRY 24 April, 2012 @ 5:31 pm   57

Any news on mortal kombat dlc sale? The us store had it a few weeks back will we ever?

Will there be a Dead Island sale in the near future? Plus or regular?

Thanks!

Chocobo115 24 April, 2012 @ 5:55 pm   59

Ross, can we please have Maximo games as free PS2 classic games? Would love to play them, but too cheap to pay the current price for them…

Bgjknpqswvyu 24 April, 2012 @ 5:58 pm   60

Hiya Ross. Could you tell me if there’s any or going to be any news regarding the release of Machinerum please?

What happens with my Plus account (and rented games) when PS3 stops, we all know it will eventualy?

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

As far off as that point in time is, I can tell you right now it’s not something you need to be concerned about.

whittle1 24 April, 2012 @ 6:05 pm   62

I’d like to thank you for making good on your promises. You did say you’d give us a bunch of games + full game trials to even us out with SCEA.

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 6:28 pm

No problem, sorry it took a little longer than planned. We’re going to have more Title trials in before June’s refresh as well.

Liam2349 24 April, 2012 @ 6:21 pm   63

Very nice update, best i’ve seen. Makes me happy to be a Plus member :). I’m very happy you’ve finally got Max Payne on the store. Free or not, it’s fantastic. Any chance of Max Payne 2 coming on?

On the topic of Rockstar Games productions, I know a lot of people would be interested in some of the best selling PS2 games of all time coming on the store, the GTA Triolgy, including the best selling PS2 game of all time, San Andreas. How difficult would it be to make this happen?

Thanks and keep up the great work!

Shadowdragoon 24 April, 2012 @ 6:26 pm   64

Nice update, Not to much for my taste, but a decent amount. Will be interesting to see how this develops..

PS, Ross, Jawad is still ignoring me in the store anouncement replies, mind putting more or bigger thumb-tacks on his chairs? Think he did not get the message from last time I asked you. ;)

PirateThom 24 April, 2012 @ 6:27 pm   65

9 free PSN games?

Is this real?

Honestly, while not every free game is a classic or even one I want to play, I feel like the games I do want to play or that have turned out well more than warrant the sub and I will renew.

Any idea if Vita content will be addded with this as well? Guessing when there’s more games.

Ross McGrath 24 April, 2012 @ 6:31 pm

Very pleased that you’re happy! At present, PlayStation Plus is geared towards the PS3 only.

Awesome update! Been meaning to play Max Payne for quite some time now :D

belmont_gr 24 April, 2012 @ 6:37 pm   67

Can you tell Konami to finally release the two Castlevania games as PSOne Classics even as imports like what happened with Resident Evil?

Ross McGrath 25 April, 2012 @ 9:18 am

I’ve told Konami repeatedly that they should do it, and I’ve tried to make it as simple for them as possible. I do keep hassling them about this so lets hope something comes of it.

Shin-Ra 24 April, 2012 @ 6:44 pm   68

I’m most excited about Datura (launch discount) and the Oddworld dynamic theme, wonder which Oddworld past or future it may be themed around? :D http://www.handofodd.com or maybe no game in particular?

Already bought Silent Hill before it got taken down (for purchase, download list still worked) years ago and then put back up more recently.

Can’t get too excited about the PS2 version of Max Payne, even free. A PS Move compatible, 1080p PS3 native version with all the PC graphics settings maxed would be worth £10-15. Seems Rockstar would rather port their classic games to iOS and Android where users have incredibly low standards for action game controls and stability. Shame.

Ross McGrath 25 April, 2012 @ 9:22 am

Well, I can’t speak to your comments on Max Payne, but the OddWorld theme is not based on any particlar game. We’ve been working with ‘Just Add Water’ to get hold of some of the OddWorld concept art they have on file to create something a bit interesting. :)

TheHunterAmin 24 April, 2012 @ 6:53 pm   69

I hope I get my question answered, because I had my normal workday.. But is there any chance to see a PS+ offer with ‘buy a year, get 3 months additional’ SOON??

My PS+ will end the 27, so I want to renew my PS+ with a offer :)

Fragpuss 24 April, 2012 @ 7:04 pm   70

Hey Ross

i was wondering, with ZEN Pinball 2 having been announced, what are the chances of the original ZEN pinball add on tables being free for plus members or available as a discounted bundle?

Also do you know whether Resident Evil: Umbrella or Darkside Chronicles HD will be receiving a bonus for Plus members? like perhaps some classic Resident Evil 1,2 and 3 avatar packs or something?, i realise that is more up to Capcom, but i didn’t know whether you may have a small nugget of info about that?

thanks

FBZ1501 24 April, 2012 @ 7:35 pm   71

Great update, I’ve got Sky Fighter and Mushroom Wars which are both great fun, but thats a load of free content which is awesome.

I would like to see some Vita Plus deals though.

harde1979 24 April, 2012 @ 7:43 pm   72

Is that legal to have so much many free games in one month? It’s amazing to be PS+ Subscriber and very proud… I can’t thank u enough :)

AaronSOLDIER 24 April, 2012 @ 7:48 pm   73

Well, at least there’s gonna be 1 decent PS2 Classic coming, still need a lot more though.

Bristow9091 24 April, 2012 @ 8:01 pm   74

Well Ross, you’ve done it… you’ve convinced me, with this update, to finally cave in and subscribe to Playstation Plus, I’ve paid for an entire year!

I’ve just added all the prices of the free stuff up, and the total cost is £92.82, and I’ve only paid £39.99 for the entire year… so £3.33 a month… I’ve just made my money back in free stuff for two entire years plus more, in one month! o.O

If it’s even half as good as this for the next few months, consider me a permanent Playstation Plus subscriber!

Ross McGrath 25 April, 2012 @ 12:38 pm

I’m very, very pleased to hear it!
    Welcome to Plus and I hope you have a very happy stay with us.

Finka_Karfein 24 April, 2012 @ 8:08 pm   75

Very nice one, however when I look at Castlevanias in US…
Can you give us any info about Chrono Cross (not necessarily for free on PS Plus) in Europe as a US import?

morg106 24 April, 2012 @ 8:11 pm   76

Any deals on the subscription itself coming soon? For example it was £31.99 before. Or it came with a free game. Last time I subscribed I missed out on some sweet deals =( want to get a nice resubscribe present this time around.

Usually I have pretty bad luck (e.g. have them already) when it comes to a bit older free PSN games but tomorrow is my lucky day; out of those eight titles I have only one. So it’s 7+1 new PSN games for me AND the PS2 classic Max Payne, w00000000t!

This is one helluva Plus update! SUPERthanks!

CHANG924 24 April, 2012 @ 8:33 pm   78

awesome update. looking forward to mushroom wars amd magic orbs.
just 1 question. saw that there a full game trial now for rayman origins. the US has a discount for it for ps+ as well. just wondering if thats the case here. have it already but would love to have it on the hdd. great update nonetheless. thanks

Ross McGrath 25 April, 2012 @ 9:25 am

We recently ran a 50% discount on Rayman: Origins around the start of March, I believe, so it’s a bit soon to be doing something with it again, but we can keep it in mind for future.

ElTequillaz 24 April, 2012 @ 8:39 pm   79

i wonder what this Oddworld Theme is an omen towards.. I hope the Plus guys keep in tone with the universe and follow up on it on a random Sunday in May or something like that.
As long as it doesn’t involve the first 2 PSOne games, as they have already been offered thruout the Plus range.

Phenomenal update in any case. I really like it when Plus gives brand new games for free.

CoolRichy008UK 24 April, 2012 @ 8:49 pm   80

R&C collection out 16th may ps3 & ps store eu blog said its OUT 16th may not few days after n not few days before y do ppl read fake release info

not to sound ungreatful but… For the demos are we able to ones for newer games? Happy with max payne, first decent ps2 on the store, hope this is a sign of things to come! Is there a place we can put games we want to see on here? Eg, shadow hearts (ps2) or breath of fire 4 (spyed it on the usa store for at least a year). Be fab if our content matched theres and there was no year delay between the two!

ZenSelai 24 April, 2012 @ 8:58 pm   82

hey ross, epic update. i wanted to ask this for the longest time. theres an old game on the store, Fatal Inertia EX, which atm on the US is being offered free with PS Plus. at $29.99 Australian it seems pretty high considering the age of the game. Any word on a price drop on this game?

QuietlyWrong 24 April, 2012 @ 8:59 pm   83

Hey Ross: here’s an idea for the future, though it may require some technical wizardry and possibly some new legal documents… How about having a CHOICE of games from time to time? So you can include games for the PSP or PSVita or even from the back-catalogue of old Plus freebies.

As long as you always include a new (to Plus) PS3 game as an option, then you’re not cheating any of your subscribers, while at the same time you can offer something to owners of the portable systems or new subscribers who might have missed out on earlier games (I missed out on Stacking, for example…).

JonnyPauz 24 April, 2012 @ 9:38 pm   84

Crazy awesome update Ross, any chance since Lost Planet 3 is coming out this year that we’ll see the dlc for Lost Planet 2 discounted or free on PS+? Also there is one game that I would love there to be a HD remake of “Zombie Ate My Neighbours” that would be epic.

Private-Lu 24 April, 2012 @ 9:44 pm   85

There’s a nice amount of Full Game Trials and for a while now I’ve been complaining about the lack of Full Game Trials.

But there’s one thing that is quite confusing here.

What about 25th Wednesday April update, I mean if this one is for a week tomorrow then what about tomorrow’s?

Private-Lu 24 April, 2012 @ 9:48 pm   86

Oo and will we be getting a new background on PS Store, I am sick and tired of seeing Call Of Duty, it’s a waste of time. Why not something more creative.

Yes I hate COD games and have for a while, they ruined FPS games completely.

The awesomeness of PlayStation Plus in 2012 is beyond my imagination!

trulydeadly1 24 April, 2012 @ 10:22 pm   88

hi, I saw that on the American store there is a discount for Rayman Origins. Are there any plans for a discount in Europe??

As a Celebration of Sonic the hedgehog 4 Episode 2 coming out, could we have Sonic 06 for free, ( or at least discounted). Also the rockstar games Bully and Max Payne 2 would be Interesting but asking for them as well seems a little greedy. :) Thanks Ross

Bumblebee 24 April, 2012 @ 10:51 pm   90

Max Payne! FREE! I still have my PS2 version. I loved that game, can’t wait for my Special Edition of MP3!

However, I was hoping there would be HD remakes of Max Payne 1 & 2 based on the PC originals, rather than a port of the inferior PS2 version.

Ah well. This is a most welcome update.

Mustafamustik 24 April, 2012 @ 10:56 pm   91

I have a question, when will we get Persona 3 FES? The US got it on the psn store.

Scuffy_P 24 April, 2012 @ 11:19 pm   92

Half those games were on sale for around 3 pounds the other week. Bit of a cheek really. It’s akin to the “free” games given after the PSN hack last year. 95% of them had already been available free for plus members.

I want to support SCEE, so much, having been a Playstation gamer since the PSX. But I’m just finding it harder and harder to justify the PS+ subscription. I have zero interest in Mini’s, the free dynamic themes ALWAYS appear as though they weren’t good enough for general sales. Discounts on games that are really quite old (some over 4 years), and anyone but new PS3 user probably own anyway, and as usual SCEE PS+ pales in comparison to North America.

The usual Store update is just insult to injury (American Basket Ball dynamic themes…..what were you guys thinking).

I wish you the best of luck, but my next PS+ subscription will be spent on XBL Gold. At least Microsoft don’t pad out their store update with beach themes and dutch windmills…..on a GAME CONSOLE!!!!

Scuffy_P 24 April, 2012 @ 11:43 pm   93

One last question, and this is regarding all aspects of the PSN Store.

Prototype 2 came out today, and I noticed EVERY game website on the planet (literally every one of them) had numerous trailers for the game…..except PSN. This happens constantly. Either you publish trailers for games hardly anyone cares about (2 months late I might add) or you update the same trailer but change the date pretending it’s new (“shhhh….they’re so stupid the idiots won’t notice”).

Hopefully Sony will control the PS4 store internally next time rather than subcontracting to an out source compan.

ChameleonVector 25 April, 2012 @ 12:25 am   94

Is Max Payne 2 coming to the PS2 classics soon, if it’s not already or wit this? I’ll want to buy that asap, to run through 1 and 2 before 3. 2 of my favourite games of all time, they are. Amazing story.

themoskman 25 April, 2012 @ 1:36 am   95

nice :-))

themoskman 25 April, 2012 @ 1:36 am   96

nice :-))

themoskman 25 April, 2012 @ 1:40 am   97

i hope that the ps2 classic marvel nemesis wil be for sale in the store that was my favorite game ever can you suggest it hihi thx

shadowruin 25 April, 2012 @ 7:19 am   98

great schedule.. just want to add my view that the PS2 classics make a great variation to the ps1 releases and would see it as an awesome way to continue.

Dante_Zero 25 April, 2012 @ 9:36 am   99

Ross you made a typo in your response regarding pixel junk 4am. The beta codes will be rolling out from the 26th of april not may as the game launches on May 15th

AntGreenfield 25 April, 2012 @ 9:53 am   100

Ross, a quick Plus related question if you could answer would be most grateful. My Plus sub is due to run out next month and I’m not going to be able to afford to renew for a few weeks after it ends. I know I lose the ability to play any of the free games I’ve had via Plus but is that for good if my sub runs out or will I get them back once I renew?

harde1979 25 April, 2012 @ 10:09 am   101

Is there any chance to get discount on Resident Evil 4, 5 and Final Fantasy series? I would very appreciate that.
Sorry 4 my english…

TheVVolf 25 April, 2012 @ 10:14 am   102

Hi Ross,

Any chance we could get the DLC of “The Eye of Judgment” for free some time?
“The Eye of Judgment” servers have been turned off and it is a really old game by now, but the DLC is still WAAAAAAAY to expensive for me (free is better).

PLEASE! :)
You will make me a very happy panda if you could throw this in for us one month…

Catkiller1 25 April, 2012 @ 11:20 am   103

Please try & get this title released on PSN: http://abobosbigadventure.com/fullgame.php

Pure nostalgia! ;)

Catkiller1 25 April, 2012 @ 11:24 am   104

Please release some retro collections like Midaway Arcade Treasures 1-3, Taito Legends 1 & 2, SNK Arcade Classics Volume 1, Capcom Classics Volumes 1 & 2, Activision Anthology & Atari Anthology!

;)

omergdx 25 April, 2012 @ 11:40 am   105

when are you expanding playstation plus to more conutries?
am in israel and we dont have it yet.

Huono_peleis 25 April, 2012 @ 12:31 pm   106

Lot’s of games and it’s nice to see Europe cathing up with the US atleast just a little. Sadly very litle for me again as I tend to buy the games I really want.

Might have a go with Max Payne again though I remember the PS2 port was troubled (glitched, very low-res, frustratingly hard at places, painfull loading times etc.) but atmospharic.

Catkiller1 25 April, 2012 @ 12:53 pm   107

@ Ross

I hope you read this:

On the US store they currently have a 20% discount on the Hot Shots Golf bundle including all DLC. Is there any chance that we could receive the same, on our named Everybodys golf please? Would you look into it as a possibility?

Kind regards

SeefPanda 25 April, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   108

“I’m very sorry to have to tell you that there’s no PS one Classic in May – instead we bring you a PS2 Classic title in the form of Max Payne”

I love you.

That’s like going, sorry guys we can’t give you a willy wonka chocolate bar, but you can have the keys to the factory.

Such an amazing trade off.

chrisandsheva 25 April, 2012 @ 1:26 pm   109

Same view here… i mean ps1 ‘classics’ and 40inch HD tv do Not make a good combo… though tbh i Still haven’t tried a ps2 ‘classic’ Yet.. but surely they’ll be more … agreeable…. Don’t get me wrong, i Want to play (some) ps1s.. But hopefully on my vita…

VelikiJednom 25 April, 2012 @ 1:48 pm   110

When will we get GTA: San Andreas on the PS3?

STORMxPYTHON 25 April, 2012 @ 3:01 pm   111

Sublime update Ross. Proves you have been VERY hard at work sorting out this great update.
If i could possibly request something that i feel is needed urgently on the store. If possible please let us know the file size of content BEFORE we commit to but. I took advantage of the Starwars force unleashed price cut and was shocked to see it was a 12 gig file. Had to delete content to download it.Also will there be a discount on the force unleashed DLC as the dlc is about 80p cheaper than the game.

darrenj1 25 April, 2012 @ 3:26 pm   112

Wow looks like an ace update.

MODEYV2 25 April, 2012 @ 4:23 pm   113

Omg Max Payne. I lost that game ages ago. Thanks. But I would like Sly 2 HD as I completed Sly HD and would have thought that we would have got them all, like the classics we got.

Another great update. Thank you.

Pakiman_91 26 April, 2012 @ 3:48 am   115

was just woundering if NFS/NFS2 is ever going to be on the playstation store, and if they do make it could they have multiplayer support aswell, that would be just the best thing.

somethingatt 26 April, 2012 @ 3:54 am   116

Hey, what happened to the House Of The Dead 4 discount on Plus? I saw it earlier today but had to go out and thought I’ll buy it when I get back and it was no longer on discount?

fauxtronic 26 April, 2012 @ 11:20 am   117

Wow. I’ve been wanting to play Max Payne (and Max Payne 2) again for years, but despite owning the original discs I find it unplayable on a modern widescreen, high resolution display. Presumably it looks better on the PS3. Really looking forward to this update. I was so disappointed with the April games, but I guess not all games to our satisfaction, and this would seem to more than make up for it.

morpheus2n2 26 April, 2012 @ 11:46 am   118

Umm Why is Silent hill down as Free from the 2nd may when its already been on the story for most of April FREE!!

Bladerunner_DK 26 April, 2012 @ 12:57 pm   119

What about Ghost Recon Future Soldier Beta. It available for US ps+ members?
Looking forward to the co-op experience in that. Loved ghost recon 2.
And not forgetting – Colonial marines is comming closer. :) goog times..good times

Xandrilios 26 April, 2012 @ 3:09 pm   120

Just wanted to share that I find it very cool to know the next Plus deals in advance (not on the day of release)! It creates anticipation which makes me enjoy the deals all the more, thank you.

dislex666 27 April, 2012 @ 4:21 am   121

Why not Rock of Ages? It’s for free on the US store! I want it!

SherrifNL 27 April, 2012 @ 8:46 am   122

O man this update is so sweet so many good games for free and some good discount deals.

notorious_tf 27 April, 2012 @ 12:01 pm   123

Disappointing line-up. Nowhere near as good as the last few months have been. My PS+ runs out in a few days, so I’ll be waiting to see the June list before I resub.

extralife_psx 29 April, 2012 @ 3:50 pm   124

i’m with “Sonicramit” on the DAO dlc getting some loving in the price department, seems only fair since the original game has allready been released as platinum

iamthelloyd 30 April, 2012 @ 7:55 am   125

Ross,

just read this from IGN…

Do you know if Awesomenauts is still going ahead, and if not, will there be an alternative fpr PS+ers?

cheers

RichZtar 1 May, 2012 @ 1:10 am   126

Hello,

I was wondering if there will be a psp power sale coming this May?

There were only a couple price drops on psp games last month, while in August till September there was a massive sale on psp titles like GTA. The Ps Vita wasn’t out then, so I sadly didn’t profit from this sale. I’m holding out for Gravity rush so I would like to play a couple of the top psp games that have been out for years, yet are currently overpriced. Also, looking forward to a sale or an essentials update on 3rd Birthday.

Thanks,

(Btw, the price of 3rd Birthday on Psn- £20 / Amazon- £8…
The pricing should be fairer than this for the digital version.)*

Esarty 1 May, 2012 @ 11:49 am   127

@iamthelloyd

Seems the release is going ahead as normal.

STORMxPYTHON 1 May, 2012 @ 1:38 pm   128

Anyone else noticed all these games run from May 2nd till the 4th July. Makes me wonder if they’ll miss June altogether….. That or we’ll get more in June too and well be in plus heaven.

Bootlegchris 1 May, 2012 @ 2:38 pm   129

I see that the US store gets two castlevania games… Are we going to see them?

TheMART 1 May, 2012 @ 8:57 pm   130

Three things:

1. USA gets Trine 2 for free too this month, will EU also receive it somewhere the coming weeks?

2. I own Zen Pinball 1 through PS+, but I need to renew it since it ended some time ago. Its said that ZP2 will be a free update. And that ZP2 will be cross platform PS3/PSVita. I also own a PSVita with my account that had PS+ attached. If I renew PS+, will ZP2 be free on my PSVita too?

3. I am pretty much waiting for a year subscription + 3 months free, like I had the last time. I think 50 Euro for 15 months is the sweet spot for me instead of paying that for 12 months. I hope Sony will throw a deal like that around E3. And also that they will give real support to PSVita. I am disappoint that there was no support directly at launch….

I hope mods will react at point 1 and 2 at least, if its possible at point 3 but probably it’ll be no comment on that one.

windsorblue01 1 May, 2012 @ 11:07 pm   131

@TheMART 130 we allready had Trine 2 for free when it was released

TheMART 1 May, 2012 @ 11:23 pm   132

@ Windsor

Thats fine and all, many games on PS+ came back later to be given for free again. Its not like when it has been there once, it won’t be done again.

Just asking, it would be an extra reason to get PS+ again soon.

TrevelD 2 May, 2012 @ 3:25 am   133

I live in UK, and i cant find Max Payne 1 (PS2 Classic) in PSN. I also used searcher, but it comes out only with Max Payne 3.

Ania_Dawid 2 May, 2012 @ 7:51 am   134

great update, but the us is still ahead, this month with castlevanias.

ColekPL 2 May, 2012 @ 8:57 am   135

Why is it not on store yet? I want games :D

ColekPL 2 May, 2012 @ 8:57 am   136

Why is it not yet on store?

Ania_Dawid 2 May, 2012 @ 9:06 am   137

będzie o trzynastej. zazwyczaj tak bywa.

XDaveyboyX 2 May, 2012 @ 2:18 pm   138

Ok for value I guess, but I have Max Payne on PC, and I’m pretty gutted that we don’t get the castlevania games that they do in the US.

Keep it coming – not sure I’ll be renewing next month though.

santylacerda 2 May, 2012 @ 2:23 pm   139

Why is the PS+ wasn’t updated? Please fix this ASAP.

Michelasso 2 May, 2012 @ 2:45 pm   140

Are you guys mad? 13 games for free?! I will have to buy a new HDD!!

adumr82 2 May, 2012 @ 2:59 pm   141

The plus update normally happens by 5pm, why are people always so impatient. there isn’t anything to fix, its just not up yet.

ColekPL 2 May, 2012 @ 3:11 pm   142

I am missing Velocity minis on my PS+.

Catkiller1 2 May, 2012 @ 3:39 pm   143

I hope there is something planned for EU PLUS Members with regards to the following: http://goo.gl/ofphX

I prefer Option 3!

Kliskey 2 May, 2012 @ 3:44 pm   144

Thanks for this epic update :D

Bjarno86 2 May, 2012 @ 3:46 pm   145

The Velocity mini is missing!

ZACHSP8 2 May, 2012 @ 4:00 pm   146

Now this is what every month should look like for PS+

DaftMav 2 May, 2012 @ 4:01 pm   147

Velocity (minis) is missing from the Dutch store!

windsorblue01 2 May, 2012 @ 4:04 pm   148

great months content cant find the mad theme though and for poeple who keep asking every week wheres the plus content YOU GET IT ONCE A MONTH NOT EVERY WEEK

chrisandsheva 2 May, 2012 @ 4:41 pm   149

Cr… i mean shame, i thought with this blog being back at top of main (home) page it would be a new one, With maybe ‘some’ chance of getting feedback from Ross.. Still i will say my peace.. the plus team ‘Promised’ us parity with US both on content, which IS (slowly but steadily) getting better.. Also a massive demand made by us was game trials.. unfortunately i don’t see no (significant) change here.. i am so jelous of the Better service offered to the US in this department, i Believe they get a mandatory trial with (most) Every new ps3 title thats added to ‘their’ store.
I was also wondering if i should say that no matter what we (EU) get, it seems the US just have to get that bit ‘extra’, castalvania, trine2, etc, it’s ‘almost’ though your US counterparts won’t allow the EU to catch up, have parity and equality with them. It’s very political.. imo.

XLR-8_ 2 May, 2012 @ 6:29 pm   150

9 free games! I need a bigger hard drive in my PS3 and i have the 250GB. Still thanks for the games.

XLR-8_ 2 May, 2012 @ 6:36 pm   151

I saw a comment above saying how the americans get a game the the eu does not. That got me wondering bout Spyro on PS1. this game is also out in america but not in the eu. any plans to bring spyro over and also the HD collections of Jak and Daxter and Rachet and clank dont have a the titles any chace on the other titles being relesed for PS3. either as a HD remake or PS2 classic?

Racsol 2 May, 2012 @ 8:05 pm   152

When we gonna have God of War avatars??

Scuffy_P 2 May, 2012 @ 8:21 pm   153

I know certain aspects of PS+ are touted as being “free” (Minis, themes, avatars etc), but obviously they’re not. I pay for everything through the ‘Plus’ subscription. I love dynamic themes. Always have done, and have bought dozens over the past couple of years. Although not so much recently as the store is padded out with terrible animations of flowers, windmills, and fields….on a game console? Really? That’s the best you guys can source and commission? Windmills?

Anyway, my point being the recent Oddworld “dynamic” theme, which as we understand isn’t free because of the subscription. As with the (terrible) Journey theme, how can you call them dynamic? What’s dynamic about them? It’s a static image which a camera moves across. Wow. I’d be embarrassed if that was my commission.

My 12 month subscription is almost up, and I’ve been hoping to see some massive improvements to PS+ and the Store in general to justify renewal. But alas….

appie17 2 May, 2012 @ 9:08 pm   154

Man, such a great update. Definetly gona renew my Plus after this update. Thank you guys :D

devill7shash 2 May, 2012 @ 10:56 pm   155

Great update but still why Velocity is missing on Belgium store?

EccentricJon 3 May, 2012 @ 3:42 am   156

AMAZING update this week. Thanks guys.

ArchHippie 3 May, 2012 @ 5:35 am   157

The Velocity mini is missing! Is it UK only?

fauxtronic 3 May, 2012 @ 10:18 am   158

Somebody goofed. Not all the freebies are in the freebies section. I found a freebies in the Exclusives section late last night. Not sure if that was Velocity, so it’s worth checking all the categories for free titles.

fauxtronic 3 May, 2012 @ 10:24 am   159

As an aside, I’m a bit disappointed that Max Payne hasn’t exactly been remastered for the PS3. Edges of characters and scenery are pixellated, most textures look awful and I’m not so keen on playing it all the way through after going through the opening chapters. I dug out my old PC version of the game last night and it looks much better. There’s no reason it couldn’t look that good on the PS3. This kind of thing makes me reluctant to buy any PS2 games which have been re-released for the PS3.

Also, there’s no need to apologise for giving PS2 games instead of PS1 games. I know there’s a fan base for PS1 games, but they rarely get more than ten minutes play here on account of looking so awful on my HDTV.

Catkiller1 3 May, 2012 @ 10:27 am   160

@ fauxtronic

I’ve noticed that alot recently!

Twisted Metal wasn’t with the other PS1 titles within the discount section. I had to use the search function for the £2.39 price tag!

There are numerous bits of content that are within sections that shouldn’t be & some DLC have no placeholders as to what title they belong to which is confusing to say the least!

adumr82 3 May, 2012 @ 10:46 am   161

Ps2 games are not hd remakes. its only when I read through comments that I realise why Sony are so reluctant to give us anything. it looks bad because that’s how the game looked. remasters cost money. I’d rather have this version of max Payne than no version

Huono_peleis 3 May, 2012 @ 11:12 am   162

Looks like “Velocity” is a UK exclusive. Thanks for not letting us no.

…and Ghost Recon Beta has just appeared to the Plus section. SHHHH! Let’s keep it a secret.

Huono_peleis 3 May, 2012 @ 11:17 am   163

*know*

OttoT 3 May, 2012 @ 1:15 pm   164

Having games longer in list then 1 month is just bad.
It looks like you have a lot of content but it´s just the stuff from the month before. (not saying this is´t a awesome month that we had to had 2 month earlier).
Now tell us all about the new PS+ abo´s the US is getting incl stuff like movie rental services etc. A shame the only movie rental thing we have in The Netherlands is MUBI and it´s crap.

fraggy017 3 May, 2012 @ 8:00 pm   165

Awesome!

erbkaiser 4 May, 2012 @ 10:41 pm   166

Very cool update. There is an issue with Ricochet HD though: it will not respond to my PS3 controller and instead reacts to my PS3 BluRay remote!

bennyrafal 5 May, 2012 @ 1:39 pm   167

i cant see Velocity, what is going on?

mannyonthemoon 5 May, 2012 @ 6:17 pm   168

I hope binary domain launches at comparable price to what it is now available at at online stores. I.e. Sub £15. I doubt it. kudos for the prices on sly trilogy and ico as they proved irresistible to me

aleny25 6 May, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   169

the legend of draaaaaaaaaaaaaaggggggoooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnn tooooooooooooooooooo europeaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnn psnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D :D

Martinsen_86 8 May, 2012 @ 1:07 am   170

A very good update but I was wondering when we in europe can get The legend of dragoon on PSN?
America got it 1.May and the release i japan was years ago.

REDJED 14 May, 2012 @ 12:49 pm   171

Hi guys (and gals) truly a great update this month and pleanty of good stuff from TIK games. Any news on when the mid month update will be I dont want to miss out because im playing all this months content and not keeping an eye on the store :-) keep up the good work.

ALF1E__ 15 May, 2012 @ 12:10 am   172

After reading this update, I went and bought a subscription to PS Plus, Wow I have been missing out on soooo much stuff!

ELEKTRIKSTORM 27 May, 2012 @ 11:22 pm   173

I Don’t know why so many people think Playstation plus is such a rip off, less than £1 a week for all this content, you easily get your moneys worth even if you dont like all of the freebies and offers, its alot better than the stuff you get on XBLA Gold, and I know, I have both, I have downloaded games i wouldn’t normally buy, and really enjoyed them, Smash Cars Wakeboarding and Max Payne are great give away’s this month.
Don’t suppose there is any news on a release for GTA San Andreas in the PS2 section ???