Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 10:00am

Starhawk…Welcome To The New Frontier

Starhawk Logo

I hope you are all excited about the release of Starhawk, which is available in PAL regions from today!

Release dates:

• Mainland Europe 9th May
  • Australia and New Zealand 10th May
  • UK and Ireland 11th May

If you missed the previous posts, this game has been developed by LightBox Interactive who are made up of the guys who created the classic PSN shooter Warhawk on PS3. This can be seen as very much a spiritual successor to that classic…

Starhawk Brings Back Split Screen Head-To-Head And Co-Op Matches

The game offers a single-player campaign that provides the perfect opportunity to test your skills before going online. This for me is where the game really comes into life with a great variety of game modes and vehicles to wreak havoc on the battlefield. So whether you fancy taking the ‘Sidewinder’ Jetbike for a spin or flying around in the massive transforming ‘Hawk,’ there is something to suit everyone.

On top of that, throw into the mix the innovative Build & Battle element, which lets you call down a variety of offensive and defensive structures onto the battlefield which can swing the game into your favour in an instant.

Hawk - Ride, Die & Fly In Starhawk!

All the toys available really do create a multitude of great ways to take out your opponents on the battlefield.
Some early reviews have hit and it’s great to see the media agree, as well a few comments from specialist press.

“This is multiplayer at its finest, and it’s among the best you’ll find on any platform.” IGN

“One of the most unique multiplayer experiences we played in a long time. The RTS elements create significant strategic depth and the action is a blast.” GamesRadar

Check out the launch trailer below…

I have some further good news to share with you… In the background we have been busy emulating the PSOne version of Warhawk, and we’ve just made it in time for Starhawk’s launch. Please read Ross’s post on the PSOne emulation that we had to go through to get this in store…

Starhawk_PSone-ClassicFor those that haven’t played it, it was a classic aerial shooter which was released all the way back in 1995! I forgot how popular FMV cut scenes were… :)

In order to get Warhawk PSOne for FREE, all you have to do is redeem your Starhawk Online Network pass, which can be found on the back of your Starhawk Manual. The game will then automatically appear in your download list.

Hope you have fun with both titles, especially the Starhawk Multiplayer battles! Stay tuned to the EU PlayStation.Blog for further updates on Starhawk.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

52 Comments 15 Author replies
Show oldest first
doomsday619 9 May, 2012 @ 10:08 am   1

Thats great news cant wait till friday, one question will the original Warhawk work on the Vita too?

Richard Yap 9 May, 2012 @ 10:20 am

Glad you are looking forward to getting the game on Friday, PSOne Warhawk will only work on PS3 and PSP like the other PSOne titles on store.

pb-live 9 May, 2012 @ 10:09 am   2

Nice, I use to love Warhawk on PS1 and been having fun in warhawk on PS3, so should be getting Starhawk as soon as I can afford it.

Catkiller1 9 May, 2012 @ 10:18 am   3

@ Richard

Is there a time limit on redeeming the online pass for Warhawk.

If I purchase Starhawk in three months time, will I still get Warhawk free, once i’ve redeemed the online pass?

Kind Regards

Richard Yap 9 May, 2012 @ 10:25 am

No time limits are set at the moment for the offer, but well worth getting involved in the MP battles now on Starhawk :)

MafiaCub 9 May, 2012 @ 10:20 am   4

Awesome. Beta was loads of fun.

Question though, why the staggered Euro release? I mean, when games are ok in England and other places, but not cleared for 2 or 3 other countries in europe then the game is held up and not released until it’s cleared for release everywhere. (as has been the case with a lot of PSN games)

So how come this isn’t set up to clear and release everywhere in Europe at the same time? Gonna be a bit crappy to jump online on Friday night and go up against some people from Europe who have spammed playing it for 2 days and have everything unlocked and ready to kill you cause they know the maps backwards.

Richard Yap 9 May, 2012 @ 10:39 am

Historically we’ve always staggered most of our releases across PAL regions. I’m sure your experience on the Starhawk Beta will come in handy.

x51CKxGRIM4LDUS 9 May, 2012 @ 10:24 am   5

Hi my question is about US versions Bonus content(soundtrack , theme , skins , …) is there any chance for us to get it too ?

TheHuRTLoCKeR 9 May, 2012 @ 10:28 am   6

Hello, I usually prefer to buy digital, any idea if this game will get a PSN release?

Catkiller1 9 May, 2012 @ 10:34 am   7

@ Richard

Thank you for your reply, it’s appreciated :)

The only problem is, i’m trying to get through a huge backlog of games. Mostly on my Hard Drive, as I need to gain some more space!

I’ll pick it up mid July ;)

MrJimmy 9 May, 2012 @ 10:46 am   8

Thanks for the post and the PS1 Warhawk info Richard, however this info has taken far too long to reach the EU community.

The GameStop exclusive US Limited Edition looked to be just the ticket, yet despite myself and others asking everywhere possible (here, US blog, Beta Forum, Facebook and Twitter, Googling and checking all retail sites etc.) there has been a deathly silence regarding the Limited Edition outside of the US.

This will have greatly reduced preorders, as it seemed that the announcement must come on who got to carry the LE. Eventually a couple of retailers announced a ‘pre order bonus’, I’ve ordered mine via the HMV promotion, despite missing out on PS1 Warhawk, which I was a bit miffed about.

To find out now that everyone gets all maps for free and PS1 Warhawk as well, means the only exclusives I am really getting are two skins, the soundtrack and the theme.

I know this is a bit of a rant and the end result for launch is the best outcome, but the PR should have been much clearer.

Richard Yap 9 May, 2012 @ 11:03 am

I’m sure you can appreciate the last thing we wanted to do was promise something ‘Warhawk PSOne and not being able to deliver on it. Thankfully the game passed the emulation process.

andy08ps 9 May, 2012 @ 10:49 am   9

starhawk is going to be the best but
im all worried if lAN was removed (cant find any recent info)
and or LAN is locked out by a online pass.
i guess i wont be buying 2 copies
but its still pretty cool that we get the classic (and original) warhawk.

irish-sid 9 May, 2012 @ 10:56 am   10

The main game will be digital download like warhawk was?

Just yes, no, perhaps down the line, is all that’s required. I’m not going to Sue you for answering my question [DELETED].

Carl-G 9 May, 2012 @ 11:03 am   11

Cool stuff;) But why don’t SONY advertise their Exclusives more on TV etc etc? ? ? :-/ If MicroSoft had all these Exclusive games coming out nearly every month’ish they would have 10 billion adverts each time on TV etc etc. If you don’t follow or read gaming sites then its hard to even know that a PS3 Exclusive is coming out i think. Oh well i suppose i would rather SONY spend the money making brilliant games like this than spend all their money on advertising like MS do and end up with hardly any exclusive games each year LOL;)

dark_angel69 9 May, 2012 @ 11:19 am   12

I cant wait for this game!!!! ^^ if only uk/ireland could get it before Friday. :(

Anyway just wanted to ask one question, does the PSOne warhawk have any trophy support or is it the same as Twisted Metal black?

Richard Yap 9 May, 2012 @ 11:55 am

Cool, the PSOne Warhawk doesn’t support trophies. Starhawk does though…

Unicronic 9 May, 2012 @ 11:27 am   13

Hi Richard, Starhawk’s BETA sold me on the game so it’s a must have.

A quick question, as Starhawk is a 1st Party title – why is it only available as a physical release and not available as a PSN download also?

I thought it would have made sense to offer both, after all I can’t trade in a digital copy.

dark_angel69 9 May, 2012 @ 11:32 am   14

@Unicronic

I was reading something like that yesterday on the playstation.blog.US. Think they said something like the PSN download would be available somewhere down the road at a later date and that their working on it to make one or something. :S

Rytteren 9 May, 2012 @ 11:41 am   15

preodered from shopto (uk). in denmark there where no preorder deals (for the soundtrack, theme and dlc).. so need to wait a bid longer…
but the games worth it! and the news on free dlc maps.. my god, Lightbox support its community and fans.

great game!

CoolRichy008UK 9 May, 2012 @ 11:42 am   16

i bet richard yap gets alot of stick about his last name well he likes to yap doesnt he :D

Sm8ckhead 9 May, 2012 @ 11:52 am   17

It’s just a shame that it will be disc only.i suppose the exercise will do me a world of good.

voorsk 9 May, 2012 @ 12:07 pm   18

Hasn’t Warhawk PS1 been available on the US PSN for a few years now?

It’s a shame the UK has to wait until Friday to play Starhawk.. we’re gonna get slaughtered by the rest of the EU when we turn up late to the party. :\

Richard Yap 9 May, 2012 @ 12:22 pm

Indeed it has, but this is the very first time in PAL regions, so hope you like it.

Check out some tips from the developer that were posted a while ago for the Starhawk beta which might help you on Friday.

dean1076 9 May, 2012 @ 12:13 pm   19

are we going to get a digital version anytime soon thsanks

ilikeben1 9 May, 2012 @ 12:28 pm   20

Will starhawk be available for full download on the psn or retail only? i much rather download games than buying disks

Richard Yap 9 May, 2012 @ 1:32 pm

Retail only, sorry, if the position changes will let you know on the EU blog.

I got a pre-order code with my copy of Starhawk from my local GAME retailer but the code doesn’t work! It just says to check the code again or that it may no longer be valid. Is this because the Store has not been updated yet or is my code broken? The OnlinePass code worked fine.

Richard Yap 9 May, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

Hang in there, we are investigating at the moment.

Richard Yap 10 May, 2012 @ 10:46 am

Thanks for your patience you pre-order code will work in the next few hours.

SmilerNick19 9 May, 2012 @ 12:35 pm   22

Hey, will Starhawk be out on the Playstation store at the same time? This is one I want to download rather than have to pick up the disc.
Also how come we have to wait until Friday in the UK? Cheers.

Also there are no Warhawk paint-schemes and no golden hand even though I have both Warhawk and SH beta sitting on my HDD. What’s going on?

Richard Yap 9 May, 2012 @ 1:35 pm

We are testing them at the moment so don’t worry you will get them. Will let you know as soon as.

Richard Yap 10 May, 2012 @ 11:10 am

Hi Zimon, the items above will be available to download from tomorrow afternoon, it will appear in the ‘Latest Section’ on PSN store (based on meeting the criteria)

vonhammer 9 May, 2012 @ 12:39 pm   24

Got in the december beta and loved it.But when it finished I hated the Hawks scrub system.Went from day one to no buy.
But the free map packs deserve supporting,so i’ll probably get it at some point,but still feel it’s design by committee.

oggy78 9 May, 2012 @ 12:40 pm   25

Looking forward to picking this up on Friday. Love the Warhawk bonus too

vicheous 9 May, 2012 @ 12:55 pm   26

To those asking for PSN release! Nope…. BD only :(

SamTheSkater 9 May, 2012 @ 12:58 pm   27

I’ll be picking this up in just a few hours.

somethingatt 9 May, 2012 @ 1:16 pm   28

Just so you guys know you’ll get a sale from me ONCE it is out on PSN :) Thanks.

Sizzon 9 May, 2012 @ 2:24 pm   29

Will Warhawk be on PSN as a PSone classic for those who doesn’t purchase Starhawk also? :)

dark_angel69 9 May, 2012 @ 2:55 pm   30

I’ve been hearing you get a free month of PS+ for pre-ordering the game. Does this only apply to Americans or Europe aswell?

Catkiller1 9 May, 2012 @ 3:25 pm   31

@ Richard

UMMMMM! You might want to check this out with regards to PSN release: http://goo.gl/TJVDD

Catkiller1 9 May, 2012 @ 3:26 pm   32

LOL updated to state that it’s retail only ;)

Stonesthrow 9 May, 2012 @ 3:52 pm   33

Campaign was actually better than I expected, now I’ll have to get my ass kicked in multi.

No PSN release = no buy.

I skipped on Twisted Metal and SSX also due to not getting PSN release, just stupid retail/disc version.

Come on, get with your own program and release the games on PSN.

Project2insanity 9 May, 2012 @ 5:42 pm   35

@x51CKxGRIM4LDUS; Those were pre-order bonuses from a few retailers in the UK, I’d suspect an eventual release but it’ll be a while before you get an official answer. Bright side is I’m not aware of any statements suggesting they’d never be released for all.

@MrJimmy; You said “only exclusives I am really getting are two skins, the soundtrack and the theme”. I kept an open eye for bonuses for a month or two leading up to release and what you mentioned is exactly what HMV’s deal was for. You are actually receiving what you specifically ordered ‘plus’ the extras that everyone else is so what’s your boggle?.

@ Any disc nay-sayers; Sincere question: why is a disc really such an issue?

As for HMV: the sons of biscuits are yet to dispatch my copy. Y’all better get ready to feel my wrath! Welcome to the new frontier!

@Project2insanity the main reason is because I prefer to have the games on the HDD. And the discs are just useless clutter, I got all my books on Kindle and would like to have all the games on my HDD.

millgate1 9 May, 2012 @ 9:00 pm   37

:D!! Thanks a lot Richard! Now us Europeans can get everything that the US is getting! (DLC wise)

Titchy_Penguin 9 May, 2012 @ 9:19 pm   38

So with my copy I get the soundtrack, a theme, skins and warhawk ps1 classic as well as starhawk(obviously)?Sounds good to me :)!

Unicronic 10 May, 2012 @ 10:18 am   39

Just got it in my hands, got a ton of free dlc THANKS!

But a day one patch of almost 0.5GB, ouch!!!

Any news Richard to my pre-order code problem? Seems I’m not the only PAL resident having this problem. On Starhawks facebook page there are a few AUS and NZ residents having the same problem.

Richard Yap 10 May, 2012 @ 10:48 am

It will work in the next few hours, thanks for your patience on this.
    Hope you enjoy your items.

SammiBE 10 May, 2012 @ 11:59 am   41

I played the Beta version and liked it very much. I already bought the game and will start playing tonight. In the meantime I already deleted the downloaded beta version. Does anyone know if I will still be getting the beta users extras if the beta version isn’t on my PS anymore? How about experience gained during the beta version, will this be reset?

The DLC code works now! Thanks! The soundtrack is awesome!!!

@SammiBE Stats are reset from beta. I don’t know if you need the beta sitting on your HDD anymore since it didn’t work to reward beta players that way. The latest word is that SONY will send out codes to beta participants at the end of the week via XMB. This is from Starhawks facebook page.

DOG187 10 May, 2012 @ 7:57 pm   43

Hi guys, does anyone know if the UK VERSION have GERMAN subtitles?

There are no language options in-game so I THINK the game sets it to whichever the PS3-system is set to.

Ok thanks

MrJimmy 11 May, 2012 @ 12:24 pm   46

Now you have Starhawk, if you want to join a Clan, are over 21 and are more into enjoying a game than being in the most elite clan ever, take a look at Grumpy old Men. GoM is an English speaking PS3 multi game clan with over 100 members across Europe (mostly UK).

Most members are playing KZ3, BF3, COD/MW3, FIFA, GT5 at present, I’m recruiting now for Starhawk, but you can join for any or all PS3 games – e.g. I tend to play KZ3 every Tuesday night with 12-20 turning up for the craic every week. It’s always well organised and FUN, some players are really good, others not so much, which is fine, we help skill up or just have a laugh, whatever’s wanted.

Our forums are very active, our events page is used for organised meets, tourneys etc. and although joining is obviously free we take donations for running the site with the overspill going to Help for Heroes and Macmillan cancer support.

Take a look on our site, if you want fill in a new member request. For Starhawk, once on board message me (MrJimmy). See you there!

MrJimmy 11 May, 2012 @ 12:24 pm   47

google grumpy old men clan to find us

Project2insanity 11 May, 2012 @ 5:27 pm   48

Gotta give props to HMV, they despatched on next day delivery. The sons of biscuits pulled through! Tonight, the new frontier shall behold a touch of insanity.

Tirol-Ami-2010 12 May, 2012 @ 1:22 pm   49

HELP!!
Bought Starhawk onFriday, but code does not work to go online. Pretty good with COmps, so I am sure I am entering the numbers right, not that hard.
Anybody else having problems?
I am in Austria.
Thanks

Tirol-Ami-2010 12 May, 2012 @ 2:25 pm   50

Tried again today, 12/5/12
Still no luck
Really wanted to play this weekend!
Is it just an EU code problem?

Tirol-Ami-2010 12 May, 2012 @ 2:29 pm   51

Just wondering,

Why did they deciede to make the online play so hard to get into? I mean, Warhawk, and all other games, just sign in and play.

K.I.S.S.
Keep it super simple

jadehare 17 May, 2012 @ 12:30 pm   52

I didn’t receive any DLC with my game. i already had Warhawk(1). people getting themes, maps, skins & soundtrack. thx 4 nothin’ i guess & good looking out for Sweden, GB & USA preferred gamers.
just put out a barebones an edition you could eh? shame on people involved with this.