Posted 1:00pm

Weekend Debate: Are You All About The Genre?

Whilst recently playing Escape Plan and then momentarily breaking to play Little Deviants, I’ve seen a particular trend in my style of choice, notably this being driven towards genre type.

So do our gaming habits refine as we get older? Or are we creatures of habit? We all know a game’s genre can be very key when making that all-important purchase.

This week’s debate is…

Do you think genres determine your decisions when splashing the cash? Or do you only pick FPS titles to get your gaming fix?

I’m intrigued to know your thoughts, so enter your answers in the comments section below. 15 lucky winners will be picked by our independent judge and receive a voucher code for their answer.

To make it a little more interesting this week. The voucher code genre will be determined by the most popular answer in the the poll below.

Bear in mind that you need to have logged into that site at least once to enable PMs for us to be able to send the code.

Terms & Conditions

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

85 Comments 4 Author replies
Show oldest first

kraideral 25 May, 2012 @ 1:17 pm   1

Well it depends from the game. If it’s really good, like Uncharted or GOW good, then I might buy it(if I have the cash). FPS isn’t really my first choice for game genres, I like more the adventure and exploration games.

geddesmond2 25 May, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   2

I’ll buy any genre just as long as the gameplay and story looks decent but the games I play the most are open world games, RPGs and games that give you a lot of freedom and options with in the game.

thepuppystuffer 25 May, 2012 @ 1:26 pm   3

I’ll buy almost anything as long as it’s good, I do however steer clear of strategy games as a whole as I’ve never enjoyed any I’ve played. As for my favorite genre, probably rpg.

strangeplaice 25 May, 2012 @ 1:26 pm   4

Gaming Genre always affects my decision when splashing the cash. If I see a Sports game I immediately become sceptical whether or not there’s going to be another thousand sequels in the next month, whereas an adventure game will make me think much harder as to whether or not I invest in it.
As for racing games, unless it looks like the back of a Renault Megane, I’ve already bought it! I can’t stop playing racing games even after getting platinum and completing them three times over!
FPS titles however are different for me. I will not buy a FPS game unless I feel it offers something different or original. For example, Killzone 2, and the first COD:MW. Sequels that offer nothing new besides a few maps aren’t worth the disk they’re printed on in my opinion.

Luis_FFgamer 25 May, 2012 @ 1:27 pm   5

Playing mostly RPG’s during PS1 and PS2 days, those are definitely one of my favorite genres of games and the genre where i’m most likely to spend over 100h per game, exemple over 900 hours on WKC2 or over 200 on FF XIII-2. But i’ve always liked all types of games and what really makes me want to play THAT game is the company that makes it and not the genre “per se”.

Companies like Naughty Dog, Bethesda, Kojima Productions, Criterion, Square Enix etc play more of a role in my purchase than the game being a FPS, racing game or puzzle etc…

Of course that i don’t what those companies making all genres of games as each one is best suited for a specific genre and in the end if the game is good and/or refreshing i’ll probably at least give it a chance.

Catkiller1 25 May, 2012 @ 1:28 pm   6

I’m not really into one genre as such but more of a mix-match.

I do tend to go for FPS titles. I enjoy all other genres but my least favourite is sports.

FPS, Action/Fighting, Platform, RPG & Adventure titles are my favourite. I suppose it depends on how the game is developed & who by. I’m still a major retro geek (If that’s what you call them ;)) & prefer the titles from my childhood, probably because i’m getting older now & like to relate back.

I like pixelated graphics & scanlines & prefer just how much more of a challenge titles were back then, compared to modern titles.

Heavily into Amiga, NES, SNES, Megadrive, Master System, C64 & Spectrum at the moment.

Charlotte Stevens 28 May, 2012 @ 3:59 pm

@Catkiller1 – also if a person likes playing mainly online they might choose FPS and racing games, I guess.

SpeedyOLLY 25 May, 2012 @ 1:31 pm   7

I like a game to immerse me in the story mostly, like mass effect, uncharted etc.. But really it just depends on what’s out.
FPS games are released more then most games I think? But I personally like to have more than just guns n explosions xP These are fun once in a while of course :D

andy08ps 25 May, 2012 @ 1:34 pm   8

No actually gameplay videos seam to help like KOA i never really played a rpg and that i loved (i dont like games like final-fantasy)
and sometimes demos also it just comes how fun it is
and that forces me to to wanting more of it (like the uncharted series)

Nazar_Ops 25 May, 2012 @ 1:40 pm   9

I play mostly FPS and Platforming genre games today. Whilst, im not much into FPS, but i like a few games. LBP is my favorite platforming franchise, its doing great and only delivering good stuff. In platforming, you dont need to be like focused and concentrated to achive something good. COD, for example, is not my type of game. It’s too fast for me, and unbalanced. I can play other FPS games tho, such as BF3 and KZ2. There games are slow-paced, and i dont have time to think very fast. If i play COD, i get easily killed, because you need to be fast, and concentrate.

In BF3, its rather sluggish, but for me its good. I can run freely without any stress or something.

I dont play FPS for my gaming fix. I play mostly LBP, but i play sometime FPS for fun and not for my gaming fix.

My gaming fix is LBP.

AoNekoAmaru 25 May, 2012 @ 1:47 pm   10

Genres will influence my picks even if I do tend to prefer innovative genre-breaking games nowadays, but usually a game will be branded as one single/main genre in stores.

The genre tag isn’t what I’m stopping at though, as I do not like realistic sport simulations but I love the more sci-fi/arcade themed ones, so it more about what is done of the genre that I am interested in. Ideally I’d go for a fresh combination of my favourite genres and I like many genres. =D

For instance, as much as I do love Action/Adventure games I think few genres manage to drag me on adventure quite as well as role playing games do, with all the action, fighting, strategy and more those include anyway as the genres really tend to blend past the main one nowadays.

danfrancis83 25 May, 2012 @ 1:54 pm   11

I think everyone probably has a bias towards one genre, or at least a general type of game.

Most of my favourite games of this generation have been action/adventure. Batman Arkham City, Uncharted 2, Mirrors Edge, Red Dead Redemption, Bioshock. When someone asks me why I love games I would probably say its because of this kind of potent story and action-gameplay.

Even though this pattern exists I have played more games which aren’t of a specific genre. I think its good for any gamer to try and play the best games around, regardless of what they might think of the genre. For me this point is highlighted by my unshakable love of Need For Speed: Hot Persuit. I wouldn’t class myself as a racing fan but the online Hot Persuit mode is deep enough to make every race interesting and exciting, no matter where you place.

I like to think I’m open minded about games and the prejudices i retain have purpose. I try to make sure I don’t play too many FPS, (for the record i love Black Ops) and I never touch football games or new tony hawks. Not because I dislike them but i feel they don’t offer me substantially new experiences for my investment of time.

J_A_S_O_N_123 25 May, 2012 @ 1:58 pm   12

I chose strategy but my Favourite type is FPS strategy or military simulators, unfortunately we don’t get many of those on PS3

dav2612 25 May, 2012 @ 1:59 pm   13

My favourite genre is racing. I actually never realised until someone commented that I play more racing games than any other. One swift look at my games collection showed they were right and I was oblivious to this all along.

Osahi_be 25 May, 2012 @ 2:13 pm   14

I don’t really have a favourite genre (I voted RPG because that’s the genre that got me really hooked to gaming back when Final Fantasy VII released), allthough I absolutely avoid sports and fighting games… Racing games rarely reach my attention, but when they do I truly enjoy them much (Modnation, Dirt-series, …)

I’m more of an allround gamer I guess, and I can’t really pinpoint what I really search in a game. I love games with great stories, but it’s not necessary. I love some good action to blast away a bad game, but can enjoy a thoughtfull puzzlegame with equal vigor.

In the end I’m looking for a great and unique experience I guess, one that touches me like nothing else can. I every game I buy I hope to find that unique feeling of hapiness when I see or do something cool or when teh story takes a twist I didn’t see coming, or I notice art that’s awesome.

Not many games can, but those who do, like Rayman Origins, Okami, Ico & Shadow of the Colossus, Uncharted trilogy, Batman Arkham Asylum, Bioshock, MGS, Lumines, Persona series, Catherine, etc are the one I absolutely worship. No matter what genre they’re in.

Huono_peleis 25 May, 2012 @ 2:17 pm   15

For me genre doesn’t matter really. I look for innovation – games that do something differently, experiment and succeed on it.

Lately I’ve been enjoiying Journey and The Walking Dead. Not because I’m big fan of exploration or point’n’clicking, but because both games managed to renovate their genres so beutifully. Before them I couldn’t imagine how online gaming could be a almost religous experience or how a point and click adventure could make my palms sweat on excitement.

Maybe thats why I prefer digitally released indies. Big budget AAA-titles nowadays have so litte, if any, life, joy and playfulnes in them – they feel like (and propably are) made by corporate executives and not by artists and designers.

Also for me there is always the “fun element”. Games should be fun to play. That’s why I avoid strategy, simulation and stealth based games. They feel too much like working. People who enjoy them got to be un-employed.

AaronSOLDIER 25 May, 2012 @ 2:33 pm   16

Hopefully Sony sees these results and makes some first party RPGs for a change.

Pug-zilla 25 May, 2012 @ 2:36 pm   17

I think genre shouldn’t matter but I’d be lying if I didn’t trend towards certain types. For instance FPS’s I really don’t get on with apart from things like The Darkness and Resistance which offer good stories or something different I avoid. I mainly play adventure games though that encompasses a lot of stuff, I mean there’s Uncharted, GOW, Ratchet, Ico even things like Limbo is classed as adventure, but mainly I like to play things that change your perception of that particular genre.
Also I think age has a big part of the choices, having over a couple of decades worth of gaming under my belt I remember the classic 2D platform games so have a major soft spot for good looking 2D a’la Rayman Origins (my vote for best graphics last year).
Good art direction can also warrant a try, games like the team Ico games, Journey and Closure look amazing in their own way and each need to played at least once to see them even if they aren;t your cup of tea.
All in all I think people need to escape their own little genre bubble and try something new, it’s a big digital world out there with lots of stories waiting to be told go and take a risk with one you might enjoy it.

lukethegooner08 25 May, 2012 @ 2:36 pm   18

For me, genre is important, I would never go out and spend £30-£40 on a game not knowing if I may or may not enjoy it. So I pick a safe bet, that being Adventure games, I can’t get enough of God of War, Uncharted and Prince of Persia :D

But I always buyCoD each year as all my friends buy it just so we can let off some steam after a hard days work.

fjernbetjening 25 May, 2012 @ 2:42 pm   19

A games genre could quite possibly have an effect on whether I’ll buy a game or not.

My favourite genres are action/adventure games and RPG’s. However, I like a bunch of other genres too, I like Platformers, Sandbox games, Beat ‘em ups, etc…

There’s not really any genre I won’t play, but there are genres I don’t genrally like, such as FPS’s and driving/racing games. Let’s focus on driving/racing games, I find games like Gran Turismo “the king of racing games” boring, as there’s not a lot happening, in my opinion, Still I really enjoyed playing games like MotorStorm, and Burnout Paradise, because of their reckless nature.

I also really like when a game combines a lot of genres. Some of my favourite game series of all time are “Ratchet & Clank”, and “Kingdom Hearts”, because they combine a lot of genres together, like: RPG, action/adventure, sandbox, and also feature a great story!

So, yeah a games genre can definately effect whether I’ll buy a game or not, but a genre that I don’t generally like, won’t keep me from buying a game if it looks awesome!

vonhammer 25 May, 2012 @ 2:52 pm   20

I’ve always been picky about the games I buy.I very rarely buy a game I haven’t ended up enjoying.
But I’m not bothered by genre.I enjoyed Nintendogs as much as I enjoyed Sims 2/Total War/Resident Evil/GTA/Billy Hatcher/F-Zero/Train Sim/GP3,4/Flight Sim/ARMA.

I’d feel sad if I couldn’t find a genre that I wouldn’t look into or find a game I enjoy.

I have gone off FPS over the last few years.I’ve restricted myself to one a year.The main reason is I’ve not built a new PC for the first time during year 3 or a console cycle (Will for ARMA 3) and think duel sticks are a horrible control method.Plus the linearity of most recent shooters doesn’t really work for me.

I do still play my old consoles every month or so for a good week or two,and that helps me appreciate modern games a bit more.
For example I was Snes only the week before Uncharted 3 launched,and it helped boost the graphical impact and production values of the game.

bennyrafal 25 May, 2012 @ 2:53 pm   21

i dont have one fav genre, im about story, single player experience.

Boneymajoney 25 May, 2012 @ 3:21 pm   22

It definitely influences my purchases. I mostly enjoy action/ adventure games and for me Uncharted have nailed this and can’t wait to play Batman Arkham City, holding out for the game of the year edition.

Why would anyone want to own a game in a genre they dislike? I hate sports so unsurprisingly don’t own any sports games.

hayzink 25 May, 2012 @ 3:21 pm   23

i dont tend to buy games because they are a specific genre but i will avoid some :)

i am not at all an fps gamer which i have said many times before on the blog so i tend to avoid the games that most of my friends list play.

i tend to look at video’s online and read previews of specific games before i buy retail titles as they are so expensive, sometimes im disappointed sometimes im not and sometimes im shocked at my feelings towards a game.

for example i loved batman arkham asylum played it twice and loved getting the plat however when i bought arkham city which is basically the same idea only bigger with more to do i just could not get into it and i have no idea why, im starting to think my tastes change on a whim.

i think thats why i like psn titles so much, i take far more risks with my purchases as they are so reasonably priced and im far more open to new game types.
in fact if it was not for psn i would never have discovered my love for tower defence games(thanks pixeljunk monsters)

grimbarian 25 May, 2012 @ 3:27 pm   24

Genre is dying, and doesn’t impact my purchase decisions even slightly.

My reason for thinking this is the way that the really innovative developers are changing their games and the traditional ‘genre’s’ they fall into, to appeal to a wider gaming audience.

Borderlands and Fallout smashing together the FPS and RPG genre’s to wonderful affect, Test Drive Unlimited 2 (less successfully) bringing a fusion of Racing, MMO, Gambling, and Sim style character development, Portal and Portal 2′s infuriatingly addictive clash of FPS and Puzzle, and sandbox games style worlds that allow the developers to add almost every type of game they feel.

It’s not genre that appeals any more (like it did when platformers ruled the gaming world) but innovation.

NiroseDK 25 May, 2012 @ 3:46 pm   25

i really like fps but if the game is good then i will play it. i like adventure games and rpg aswell

Connor_mufc_1985 25 May, 2012 @ 3:49 pm   26

I find it strange the 3rd person shooter genre isn’t in that list and it’s a crying shame imo that there is hardly any survival horror games out at the minute … I dont really have a favourite genre to be honest but Uncharted is easily my favourite series.

Amy_Belgium 25 May, 2012 @ 4:02 pm   27

i buy every genre but i have to say adventure (uncharted style) & RPG (Suikoden style) are my favourites beat em games like Tekken & DOA are fun i also manga/Anime themed games can’t wait for One piece pirate warriors. :) i also would like to play more classics like Bust a move.

ryannumber3gamer 25 May, 2012 @ 4:15 pm   28

I am a huge fan of Platformers and they are my favorite genre. While i love adventure games and puzzle games too i have to say platformers are my favorite.Now this does not mean i don’t like other kinds of genres. I like Call of Duty,Resistance,Battlefield. and i like Tekken games and while i have not played it i hear Modnation Racers is a great racing game and i will try it. But most of my favorite game series are platformers and most of them are playstation platformers. Jak & Daxter, Ratchet & Clank, Sly Cooper (really can’t wait to play Sly Cooper Thieves In Time :) ) ,Crash 1,2 & 3, Uncharted,Little Big Planet and I am very happy that Sly, Jak, and Ratchet are making a comeback (Sly trilogy,Sly Cooper Thieves in Time, Jak & Daxter Trilogy, Ratchet & Clank Trilogy) ok being fair Ratchet & Clank has great games on the ps3 (Tools of Destruction, Quest for Booty, A Crack in Time, All 4 One) but still its great have the first 3 on ps3 also. If i had to say my favorite platformer series i would say it’s a tie between Jak & Daxter & Sly Cooper

Player42791 25 May, 2012 @ 4:25 pm   29

I only bought a ps3 two years ago so i’ve got a big list of games since it launched that i’m trying to get through. Usually i pick either action/adventure or rpg’s first and i tend to go by age as well. When I run out of platformers to play with the other half though they go straight to the top of the list(she won’t play anything else :p)

DAVIE222 25 May, 2012 @ 4:25 pm   30

I play diffrent games. I enjoy playing games like Skyrim, Uncharted 3 and BATTLEFIELD 3 so i enjoy alot of games, staying with one genre is boring, you agree? because i do. I mean comon why pick one genre when you can have them all? so do genres determines decision when splashing the cash?

HELL NO!

GodOfWarGreece 25 May, 2012 @ 4:44 pm   31

I Love FPS Games <3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3<3 and i love very very big love at the FPS Games <3<3<3…!!! :D

Catkiller1 25 May, 2012 @ 4:48 pm   32

On a side note with regards to me mentioning retro titles, check this out: http://abobosbigadventure.com/

This needs to release on PSN, although due to copyright, I doubt it :(

Solid_Snake1987 25 May, 2012 @ 4:52 pm   33

I’ve been gaming for quite a while now (about 20+ years) and I can’t really say that my tastes in games have changed that much, other than playing more adult games rather than those designed for kids (though kicking a Pokemon addiction is easier said than done). I play games across nearly all genres (RTS is one I avoid like the plague) and while I do favour RPGs, I’ll quite as happily play Sports titles like FIFA or FPS games like Resistance quite frequently.

I suppose one area where I could say my purchasing habits have changed is on the Indie and Import scene. I rarely would have played games that weren’t mainstream as a child, but now I do hunt out games with interesting gameplay quirks and games that are good but for one reason or another don’t make it across to our shores. I’d place part of the change on the emergence of digital distribution, another part on becoming tired with some AAA games and the final part on becoming an aspiring games developer. It’s not recreation, it’s research!

brucewillis215 25 May, 2012 @ 4:53 pm   34

Well i play almost every genre,I don´t buy like every FPS game it depends if he looks good in graphics and gameplay, But my favourite ones are Adventure,Arcade style driving(NFS HP) and love some Strategy games. There are good games and bad games in the same genre. I am still waiting for a perfect game that is in my mind : Modern RPG 3rd person and FPS,open world.

mullet-mania 25 May, 2012 @ 5:07 pm   35

genre is a fluidic term

While I prefer rpg and strategy. Two of my favourite ps3 games are Deus Ex and Borderlands.
Both are games which cross the genre divide. They are not fps, but they are not ‘traditional’ rpg’s as they play more like a shooter.
Genre effects what i am interested in and what I read up on, but when it comes to “splashing the cash”, quality and value for money of the content (Borderlands is huge) count for more.

gamingdevil800 25 May, 2012 @ 5:14 pm   36

Personally I dont really think about the genre Im just interested in how fun or actually how playable a game is. I would be more diverse when choosing games and would pick the best new releases. I love Fallout which is an RPG and I also love Assassins Creed which is a 3rd person game the list goes on but im puzzled what to vote for above :/

Beatnuki 25 May, 2012 @ 5:25 pm   37

The pleasingly small but nonetheless perfectly formed FPS voteage has restored my faith in humankind! :D

I’ve plumped for Adventure, since there’s nothing like throwing on your boots and traipsing into the gran unknown, something games do brilliantly. With all the HD collections of classics I missed the first time around hitting the PS3, I’ve got more adventure coming at me than I can shake my favled Stick Of Many Adventures™ at. Hurrah!

One genre that permeates many games of all types, though not nearly enough, is COMEDY! Games like Rayman Origins, LittleBigPlanet and its sequel, Fat Princess, Sly Cooper… even Uncharted, particularly the second game, and of course the magnificent Sam & Max and Monkey Island games…

In a world of grizzly space marine gaming, it’s always a fantastic reprieve to see adventures not taking themselves seriously. More games need to embrace comedy, since a charming and comical game’s always more memorable than another identi-clone serious shoot-o-fest.

I’m also an enormous fan of any game that lets me be, act like, play as or dress up as a pirate. Yarrr!!!

European_Gamer 25 May, 2012 @ 5:30 pm   38

My favorite game (and movie) genre is Action and Adventure, but opposite of when I’m watching TV I don’t like playing Sports games you don’t get the same kind of excitement as on TV.
But except sports games I play all kinds of games from many genres, I own everything from Motorstorm and LittleBigPlanet to Killzone and deeper games like Heavy Rain. That’s also what I like about PlayStation exclusive games they are original in their own ways compared to many of the multiplatform games.

Charlotte Stevens 28 May, 2012 @ 3:24 pm

@European_Gamer – you touch on another interesting topic. TV vs Gaming, the two could be the same yet so different.

millgate1 25 May, 2012 @ 6:04 pm   39

Me? I definitely do not look for games of a specific genre. I look to trying out new things. I buy games for the reason they are made, entertainment. All games are fun in their own way. Even if the fun is hard to find in some, it’s still there.
The PSN game ‘Flower’. When I first saw gameplay of it, I thought that it looked like a very boring experience, but that was before I played it! I got bored with the fast – pace shooting games, so I ended up trying something new, and Lord am I glad that I had done so! So many fun games, of different genres, that I have played. ‘Flower’ was very relaxing and fun!
I try not to stick to one genre as I do not know the fun I could be missing by not trying out games from another genre!

mJ_mSv 25 May, 2012 @ 6:13 pm   40

I’m playing all, but tend to love the games people does not buy so much best!, Among my Favourites is Katamari, DDR Games (Sadly only 1 on PS3), Arcade Driving games, and Platformers, Little Big Planet is Awesome, and looking forward for the Vita version, but what the Vita (and Ps3) Really needs is a Super Mario Bros Smasher :), even Great Gianna Sisters would had been fantastic if it could be released!… Simple, but yet addicting games is the best!, also loves Puzzle games like Bejeweled and got also addicted to Risk…. Also Little Deviants is kind of games we need more of! :)

bobopudge 25 May, 2012 @ 6:31 pm   41

I used to be one of those COD only players and had played a couple of Assassin’s Creed and then I discovered how wonderful the games on the PS Store were. From flower to Guybrush Threepwood (definitely my favourite), costume quest, PS move titles and atleast a hundred more. I am now very diverse gamer, these days playing Harvest Moon:Back to Nature (reminiscing my childhood.) So, I used to be completely fixed on FPS but once someone opens themselves to all the possibilities, the limits of fun are endless

ExtremeGamer1995 25 May, 2012 @ 6:45 pm   42

I only pick games that interest me, however I like to own a game from each genre. I bought R.U.S.E because I didn’t own a RTS I wanted to try it. Genres are only really useful on gaming websites or shopping websites. I sometimes search genres I know a I like, adventure games are often the safe bet

phluff 25 May, 2012 @ 6:55 pm   43

Role playing, absolutely, though these usually contain elements of the other genres – such as strategy (assembling my team, taking into account strengths & weaknesses, to defend against impending threat) and adventure – the sense of exploration which allows you to feel uniquely involved in the game universe :)

yarnboy 25 May, 2012 @ 7:30 pm   44

If you pick a game because of its genre, you pick it up because you like the conventions of the genre, and maybe a couple of new twists by that game, but you are not valuing the game on its own merits. That’s why people get disappointed because “X is not a true stealth game!”

But that is the same kind of reasoning you use when watching B-movies. The kind of movies you want to watch on bored, slightly less than sober nights with friends. Action, romantic comedy and buddy cop movies. The truly great movies you will remember are however not limited by their genre.

And it’s the same way with games. The games you will remember in ten years are not the shooter with the flying monkey grenades or the RTS with new units, but the games you have picked up in spite of their genre. The ones you will remember are the games that connected deeper than a superficial genre choice. The raids with your guild, the story about a boy who lost his father or the complexity of moral dilemmas.

So while you might enjoy a certain genre more easily than others, and know what kind of games might appeal to you gameplay wise, a genre does not define a great game. A great game defines a great game.

Stonesthrow 25 May, 2012 @ 7:48 pm   45

I think our habits refine as gaming does but at the same time we are creatures of habit. I know I didn’t like third person games that much because of the controlls and animations and everything, and they were usually platformers. But then there was MGS1, GTA, .. who did do it right for me. MGS1 in particular really was a milestone in gaming for me personally. This geneneration I’d even consider third person to be my favorite genre together with first person. Precise controlls like a shooter but incredible animations and protagonists just get the job done. I also seem to connect more to the protagonist if it’s third person, maybe that’s just coincidence because most of my favorite characters show up in third person games (Snake, Drake, Niko Bellic, ..).

Charlotte Stevens 28 May, 2012 @ 3:29 pm

The mix of ingredients from favourite characters and genre helps make my final choice. I think I’m a creature of habit.

Stonesthrow 25 May, 2012 @ 7:50 pm   46

So I guess it depends on how the genre evolves. I never liked puzzling, survival, RTS, sports, maybe even platforming. I usually think the pacing is too slow and I like games where it’s more about the atmosphere and visual experience. I don’t like my games too hard or complicating, I want it to be a hell of a ride like Uncharted, MGS or to name a recent one, Max Payne 3. That pacing can’t be broken by slow puzzles or too much trial and error.

A survival game doesn’t necessarily have to be a slow paced experience with horrible controlls, as I’m sure ‘The last of us’ will prove. It’s not so much about the genre, but how they handle it. The technical side of a game has become really important to me, more even this gen. I want my games to be very polished with great controlls. The PS exclusives mostly deliver, the multiplatformers usually feel and look like a step down technically, especially when they play like Xbox360 games (hate ports).

Stonesthrow 25 May, 2012 @ 7:51 pm   47

I hope that multiplatformers improve with the supposedly easier to handle architecture of the ps4. They should just give up on ports altogether imo, each console deserves its own optimised version. So yea Sony, keep doing what you’re doing and keep pumping out those great exclusives, the Playstations will always be my main console.

(I had to cut half of my post and still had to post it in 3 different posts, why is there a max of characters and no option to edit on this blog??)

Charlotte Stevens 28 May, 2012 @ 3:42 pm

Thanks for the positive comments. I’m not sure why there’s no option to edit, we will look into this.

Andrefpvs 25 May, 2012 @ 8:27 pm   48

Role Playing.

I mean, what other genre has your characters doing mini-dances on the spot while they await your orders?

So yeah.

Project2insanity 25 May, 2012 @ 8:44 pm   49

I’d say one genre (or sub-genre, if you will) does influence me against buying; I really can’t stand RPG’s which specifically have a ye olde setting in which knights, elves, dwarves, goblins and Frodos all talk with ‘traditional’ English accents, but not just talk, they yak on and on until I’m yelling “JUST LET ME KILL SOMETHING ALREADY!!!”

Other than that, genre is never a concern although I am heavily drawn to genre-defining works such as Flower, Journey and Okami.

Linconan 25 May, 2012 @ 9:14 pm   50

Adventure all the way.
Cause Life is an Adventure and Gaming should be no different ;)

Load all