Posted 13 June

Gravity Rush Launches Today Exclusively On PS Vita – Get The Inside Scoop On DLC

Hi everyone

The wait is finally over as Gravity Rush is set to hit retail shelves across PAL from today. To celebrate the occasion, we’re bringing you a brand-new trailer to give you a taste of what the game has in store for you:

If you missed out on the opportunity to pre-order the game and receive the Military Mission DLC pack, we have some more exciting news: If you purchase the full digital version from the PS Store, you will receive the Military Mission DLC pack at no extra cost – this promotion ends on Tuesday 19th June, so be sure to purchase the game until then if you haven’t already!

And speaking of downloadable content, I’m excited to announce that we’ll be bringing more DLC Mission Packs to your PS Vita, each offering a bespoke costume and additional storyline and side missions for hours of additional gameplay:

From June 27th, you will be able to get your hands on the Spy Mission DLC Pack while the Maid Mission DLC Pack will be available from July 11th. Lastly, if you missed out on getting the Military Mission DLC Pack as a pre-order bonus or as part of the launch promotion until 19th June, you will be able to purchase this pack again from the PS Store from July 25th.

Spy-DLC_screenshot

Gravity Rush - Maid DLC_screenshotGravity Rush - Military DLC_screenshot

“I hope that you enjoy experiencing Gravity Rush and these three DLC packs as much as the team and I enjoyed creating them!” ~ Keiichiro Toyama, director Gravity Rush

Read on after the break to hear what else the director, Keiichiro Toyama, had to say about the launch of Gravity Rush this week:

“Gravity Rush was based on the inspiration I received from the artwork I saw in a magazine when I was a teenager. When I joined the industry, I thought that someday I would want to create a game with a world setting as vivid as that piece of art.

It’s been a while since Japanese videogames have carried the clout that they used to in our industry. When I began my career, I was striving to find a way to break through. I thought about making a game based on the top global marketing strategies, major genres that were popular at that time, and even based on a character that would be widely accepted in the Western market. However, none of those concepts produced the results I desired, which is when I realised I was trying to put the cart in front of the horse.

After that, my ideas began to gain more momentum. The Gravity Rush project started with the simple idea of ‘making something based on my original vision,’ – a game that has a brand new and exciting mechanic, gorgeous visuals, a captivating world setting, fascinating storyline, and lovable characters. The goal was to deliver a game that contained each of these aspects. If you think of it, that’s what most games are targeting, and it makes sense to go back to the basics.

During the production process, we faced a few challenges and there were times when the game was misunderstood. However, thanks to the potential of PlayStation Vita, we were able to create something completely unique to the market. The path we took was similar to the character Kat’s, where she started off unsure of herself, but slowly gained the trust of her peers and became accepted and admired.

We’ve been receiving a tremendous amount of feedback from players since the title was released in Japan. I was both surprised and overwhelmed by the amount of comments I received. Most of the feedback was positive, and one comment that really touched me was: “It’s been a while since I enjoyed a game like this that is truly innovative, and I believe that only a Japanese developer could have created such a work of art.” I really feel that my vision fit what the players wanted to see, and that I have truly achieved what I was striving for. That comment almost brought me to tears. This assured me that our thought process wasn’t wrong. I feel a state of fulfillment, and I’m sincerely hoping that everyone who plays the game will have a similar opinion.

Gravity Rush - 90804

Gravity Rush - 132779Gravity Rush - 11709

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

52 Comments 5 Author replies
Show oldest first

Does this mean we can buy/download it in the UK, or that we still have to wait until Friday?

Thanks!! Can’t wait to play with gravity!

Rebecca Maschke 13 June, 2012 @ 11:50 am

Hi Takeo73

Unfortunately, if you are based in the UK or Ireland, you will have to wait until Friday for the game to be available at retail and on the PS Store.

Daft-Eng 13 June, 2012 @ 10:11 am   2

I wouldn’t get your hopes up for a UK release today, every single time that they’ve posted about a vita game coming out on wednesday, it comes out friday.

Rebecca Maschke 13 June, 2012 @ 12:37 pm

Hi Daft-Eng

This is correct. I’m sorry you have to wait until Friday but I hope this will not affect your looking forward to this fantastic game!

redalertrules 13 June, 2012 @ 10:17 am   3

can you please tell me if the release date has change for nz and aus as it was 13 of june up until today and now it says june 28 which sucks as just finished exams and wanted to play while im on break. lastly if this is the case can we download off psn tomorrow or on friday like everyone else?

Gooders_Go 13 June, 2012 @ 10:18 am   4

is it out today?

ITS_MAZROUEi 13 June, 2012 @ 10:23 am   5

I have always wondered when does the PSN store actually update?

Gooders_Go 13 June, 2012 @ 10:26 am   6

@5 usally a couple of hours from now

Dutch_Rootsman 13 June, 2012 @ 10:38 am   7

Australian PSN Store pricing info please?

HarlockHero 13 June, 2012 @ 10:38 am   8

Yep, that’s how you get people excited. Telling people that the game is out while at the same time telling them they’ll be missing pieces that they will have to buy later.

EnragedMoreman 13 June, 2012 @ 10:40 am   9

In Russian PSN store is out today ?

SuGaR_rAy_RiDeR 13 June, 2012 @ 11:05 am   10

anyone know the UK digital price?

Sones1990 13 June, 2012 @ 11:12 am   11

when can we play the psone classics?

Aquario 13 June, 2012 @ 11:18 am   12

I got the game yesterday, it came out tuesday in Portugal but it wasn’t an easy find, the stores got a very few games.
One thing is for sure…BUY THE GAME! I’ts amazing, finally a GAME that gives PSVITA a name to keep living on.

Rebecca Maschke 13 June, 2012 @ 5:37 pm

Hi Aquario

Fantastic to hear that you’re enjoying the game!

What size will the game be?

Bacon_Crispies 13 June, 2012 @ 11:46 am   14

My order from Shopto has been sent, should be playing it tomorrow, might of got it through the PSN Store but there is still no price, seeing the price that Resistance was put on the store for I wasn’t going to hold my breath for a competitive price.

AzureFelis 13 June, 2012 @ 11:46 am   15

Finally going to be buying a Vita this weekend, so that I can play Gravity Rush. It truly looks like a spectacular game, and I can only hope the Vita becomes home to more exciting, innovative games like this in the future!

Rebecca Maschke 13 June, 2012 @ 5:38 pm

Hi AzureFelis

Great to see you’re looking forward to playing Gravity Rush. I dare say you won’t be disappointed!

EternalChaos72 13 June, 2012 @ 11:53 am   16

@5 the store updates at 13.00 GMT.

RealoFoxtrot 13 June, 2012 @ 11:54 am   17

I preordered Gravity Rush from Game… which was sent out yesterday so i thought it would’ve arrived..

However, the page for Gravity Rush on Game ( http://www.game.co.uk/en/gravity-rush-170784?pageSize=20&searchTerm=gravity%20rush ) Doesn’t say anything about a preorder bonus…. would i still get it?

Loveless-Lyric 13 June, 2012 @ 11:58 am   18

I got excited because I saw a release date for it today =[
False advertising much!

windsorblue01 13 June, 2012 @ 11:59 am   19

@5 and 16 the store has not updated at 13.00 gmt for the last couple of months it is now nearer 15.00 gmt you will see the updates start to go on

Hareesun 13 June, 2012 @ 12:08 pm   20

Magenof1 13 June, 2012 @ 12:30 pm   21

I just got this game from this morning and I have to say, it is freaking awesome so far. Must have for all PS Vita owners.

karlr42 13 June, 2012 @ 12:32 pm   22

Wait, why is it not out until Friday in the UK and Ireland? That’s ridiculous.

lewigi2012 13 June, 2012 @ 12:33 pm   23

“Why is this post tagged to be for Countries: AE, AU, GB, IE, NZ when It’s not actually out today in them? That’s just cruel, stupid and really disappointing.” – Hareesun

Here, here! It’s not hard to add a little bit of text to the article saying “Released in the UK and Ireland on Friday”. I know it’s PlayStation EUROPE but, c’mon guys!

Tenchuwoh 13 June, 2012 @ 12:44 pm   24

It is funny the way you react.UK & ireland takes everything that PSN offers.
Greece(& many other countries) wont have the YouTUBE application and you can’t wait
2 days for a game to be released?Thats Rediculous not the waiting.

Rhys001 13 June, 2012 @ 1:08 pm   25

Can we have a launch date for New Zealand? If it’s really not till 28th then including us in this post is very cruel.

krelmco 13 June, 2012 @ 1:19 pm   26

As has been stated: How about removing the GB and IE tag if it’s NOT available in those locations today?

You do love messing your customers about, don’t you Sony?

Toothball 13 June, 2012 @ 1:32 pm   27

I’d probably be a little miffed having to wait until Friday to download this, but I recently found out the 32GB Vita cards had reached Europe, and mine is set to arrive on Friday anyway. Still leaves plenty of time to get the Military DLC too.

JackBauer82 13 June, 2012 @ 1:35 pm   28

Perhaps you should change the title of this post to read launches this week instead of misleading people into thinking its releasing today.

Looking forward to the £40 price tag that accompanies said game on PSN.

Rebecca Maschke 13 June, 2012 @ 5:33 pm

Hi JackBauer82

Apologies for the confusion caused, this was unintentional. The game, however, should be priced much less than £40 on the PS Store.

Stonesthrow 13 June, 2012 @ 3:47 pm   29

Picking it up later.

chrisandsheva 13 June, 2012 @ 4:29 pm   30

Really…. could you not of headlined with ‘begins’ or starts to roll out ‘today’, i know it is not a major deal, compared to other ‘bonus’ us UK users seem to get. but it’s still annoying to know you basically cannot trust what is being posted, on blog. unless you want to feel disapointment that is. come on web/blog people, do it properly or just don’t bother…can’t agree with just adding ‘except uk/ie or ?’ at bottom of post, as damage is allready done by time you [if you] see that.

Bumblebee 13 June, 2012 @ 5:00 pm   31

Agree with the people mentioning the release date discrepancy… this is not the first time this has happened, and it’s VERY annoying!

All that is needed is a little more care in the blog posts, e.g.

“Gravity Rush Released This Week Exclusively On PS Vita – Get The Inside Scoop On DLC”

It’s simple enough and would save a lot of confusion!

Anyway I got the game pre-ordered from Shopto.net with a little bonus DLC… I LOVED the (SHORT!) demo and look forward to playing the full game!

Wyvern_777 13 June, 2012 @ 5:55 pm   32

I just platinumed the game today (it came out on the 12th in AUS) and I must say it is one of the greatest games I have ever played! It is definitely the most original game I have played this gen.

Nysrogh 13 June, 2012 @ 6:18 pm   33

Got the game today! Already few hours into the game and it’s really awesome!!!

If you have or plan to buy a vita. Get this game!! It’s a real masterpiece!!

Artemisthemp 13 June, 2012 @ 6:44 pm   34

Shopto.net send mine 12th and should have it tommorow :)

So UK ppl can get it to EU release date :)

Shin-Ra 13 June, 2012 @ 9:27 pm   35

Why have SCEE made it so difficult to find out which retailer is offering the pre-order bonus? I just discovered it was SHOPTO.net (in the UK) a few days ago, less than a week before release. I held off on ordering because I couldn’t find the correct retailer, stopping people from ordering early surely isn’t the intention of offering such deals, some will just give up.

I’ve been excited about this game since the moment it was briefly flashed in the initial NGP game montage but since then it’s just been DIFFICULT discovering what the game offers from the Japanese website (Andriasang.com hasn’t really covered it like some bigger franchises) and SCEA/SCEE don’t seem to have any confidence in it so there’s minimal coverage, just the usual xx.playstation.com product page with basic bullet-point info.

Shin-Ra 13 June, 2012 @ 9:27 pm   36

It’s just as well SCE passed on localising Demon’s Souls because Atlus did a much better job than SCE would have. I’m grateful Gravity Rush is getting localised at all with games like Yakuza 5 still up in the air but a major publisher like SCE should really have the resources to put together a straightforward HTML website dedicated to the game informing people about the various gameplay mechanics (combat, RPG levelling, open-world exploration etc), sound, graphics/style and telling them where they can pre-order for the bonus in their specific country.

Some fans have put together more informative threads on forums about the game. Hopefully SCEJ starts translating their own game websites, like Soul Sacrifice’s, more often.

Eelboy1980 13 June, 2012 @ 9:58 pm   37

This game is the awesome!

hitman_stephen 13 June, 2012 @ 11:06 pm   38

Just played the Demo of this and thought it was awesomely unique, just bought new vita games (Army corps of hell and Modnation) BUT i will deffinately be adding this to my get list (along with Resistance)!

Zero__Kiryu 13 June, 2012 @ 11:36 pm   39

Ive nabbed a platinum trophy on Gravity Rush, it was a unique experience and fantastic game. Worth buying, I do think you should start noting that the games are released on Friday in the UK, for the Resistance launch trailer another PSN user took to his local blockbuster to be told it wasn’t released yet.

ginenyi 14 June, 2012 @ 2:10 am   40

me gusta ps vita pero juego más mi ps3 y en mi trabajo el xperia play saludos

ginenyi 14 June, 2012 @ 2:10 am   41

me gusta ps vita pero juego más mi ps3 y en mi trabajo el xperia play saludos

Wild--Waller 14 June, 2012 @ 10:16 am   42

how much will the dlc cost?

legend_no_9 14 June, 2012 @ 11:58 am   43

Where are the help sections? live help? my machine has become extremely laggy although theres absolutly nothing wrong with my internet, laptop fast, phone fast, ps3 slow?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?!?1?!-?!?!?!?!

CassyChan 14 June, 2012 @ 11:20 pm   44

My copy shipped and should arrive tomorrow, looking forward to it :)

@Wild–Waller Probably £3.19 (or maybe a bit higher if they mark it up for EU, like £3.99), if they give it to EU for the same as Japan anyway (it’s 400 yen for each DLC iirc).

Wild--Waller 15 June, 2012 @ 10:25 am   45

I was hoping a little less, thanks a lot!

RealoFoxtrot 15 June, 2012 @ 1:43 pm   46

Military Kat…. Darn it, is quite annoying that we dont get told that the pre-order DLC is exclusive to PSN.. This article only went up after GAME charged and shipped

rossmow 17 June, 2012 @ 2:35 pm   47

When will remote play work of ps3 games?

rossmow 17 June, 2012 @ 2:37 pm   48

When will remote play work for ps3 games on the vita

I have the game with pre-order dlc and platinumed the game already it was really fun can’t wait for the next 2 dlc!

Artemisthemp 18 June, 2012 @ 2:19 pm   50

#46 ShopTo.net had it as Pre-order bonus for a long time.

Presume the DLC will be €3.99, since US DLC cost $3.99.

Load all