Posted 2:00pm

The Full Doom Experience Comes To PS3 For The First Time

The full Doom experience comes to PS3 for the first time

Doom 3: BFG Edition is set to launch on PlayStation 3 in October 2012, and brings with it the first two games in the iconic series. It means you’ll be able to play the entire Doom series on PS3 for the first time and see for yourself why many consider these games to be some of the most influential shooters of all time.

We caught up with Eric Webb, producer from game developer id Software, at E3 2012 to talk about how the game has been buffed up for PS3.

How do you think all three games stand up today on PS3?

Eric: I think they all stand up really well. One of the first things we did when we first started work on it was pay attention to how the controls feel. There’s something about the DUALSHOCK 3 controller and its dual analog sticks that feels really good when you’re holding it in a game like this. It gives it a different life and almost makes it an entirely new experience. So I think it’s really cool on PS3.

What does stereoscopic 3D bring to the game?

Eric: We were really surprised when we first had a look at it in 3D. John [Carmack, co-creator of the Doom series] went through quite a few different iterations of the game to help us figure out how best to fit the technology in. Just like adding DUALSHOCK 3 controls to the original Doom, 3D really brings Doom 3 to life. It’s interesting when you’re playing; you almost lose all of your peripheral vision and get sucked into the experience. I’d go so far as to say it’s the best implementation of stereoscopic 3D I’ve seen in a game so far. It really does draw you in.

Did you ever talk about PlayStation Move functionality?

Eric: No. We didn’t really want to touch the core mechanics of the game. PlayStation Move is really cool technology but we’d have had to fundamentally change how the game works and we wanted to keep it as close to the classic experience as we could.

How about the first two games – was anything tweaked there for PS3?

Eric: They are pretty much straight ports, but I will say that they run really fast at 60 frames per second, even with four-player split screen play going on. If you’ve got a big TV that’s really going to stand out. The guys basically wrote it from scratch to get it working on PS3.

Eric: Working in the art department back when we made the original the version of Doom 3, one of the things that I’m really proud of personally is the fact that id Software was one of the first studios to bring in a film animator to add that movie aesthetic to games. I think we see other games coming out that are maybe a little bit derivative of that kind of thing – people are co-operating now between film and games and bringing that same type of look to it.

I think the game feels fresh. It was very modern and very aggressive, and you had to have a very high end PC to run it back in the day whereas now it’s running happily on PS3 in 720p high resolution. It’s really the best conversion we could have done for the game, I’m confident to say. It has good gameplay, good art, good style. It just lasts.

So there’s the addition of the mounted flashlight to the game. Has anything else been modified for PS3?

Eric: We’re making textural improvements to the characters and demons. We’ve completely rewritten the network code so that multiplayer is a better experience. In addition there’s also the Lost Mission Pack, containing seven new levels. They pick up from a certain part of the story line in the main game – without giving too much away, it’ll all make sense when you play it. You’re a different guy in a different part of the base but it’s the same world.

The Doom games are many fans’ formative experience of shooters. What’s been the reaction to this version?

Eric: We’ve been incredibly surprised with the feedback from the show floor. Doom is obviously very important to us and we feel very passionate about it, but you never really know until you bring it to an event like E3 what the reaction is going to be. We were convinced it was a good idea to rework the game like this, and it was great that John [Carmack] was so passionate about the 3D stuff – because that added some new tech and got the team’s creative engine running again, so to speak – but you just never know. So the response has been really humbling.

It’s funny. You start to hear really interesting stories about people’s first experiences with the games. The first time I played the original Doom, my dad brought it home on a floppy disc. That told me two things: first, my dad was cooler than me at that point; second, I didn’t know how they were doing it but I had to get involved with it.

Much of the team who worked on the futuristic shooter RAGE contributed to this. What do you think they brought to Doom 3: BFG Edition?

Eric: Those guys learned a lot of lessons about how to work with AI and craft it into something really believable. When they came across to work on Doom 3: BFG Edition they had this incredible toolkit at their disposal, and they could focus more on making the experience great as opposed to fighting the technical hurdles on the way to finishing the game.

How do you balance staying true to the original game with making improvements?

Eric: Your first inclination is to make big sweeping changes because it’s something that you’ve looked at for a long time, so it doesn’t feel fresh anymore. We’ve really focused on keeping the core experience there. From talking to people on the show floor, a lot of them weren’t too happy with the idea of the flashlight as something separate. So integrating the flashlight into your main weapon seemed like a no-brainer, yet even then we still had people say they wanted to play the original way.
Another piece of feedback we had was that the game was too dark, so we’ve lit it some more here and there and tried to lead the player’s eye a little more. So there’ll be two modes – the original, unchanged version of Doom 3 and the updated one.

And trophy support must have been a fun thing to implement…

Eric: Yeah, we sat down with the design team and really just let them riff. It was a little tricky adding trophies to a game that’s so well established, but I think fans will be impressed.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

25 Comments 0 Author replies
Show oldest first

Carnivius_Prime 22 June, 2012 @ 2:22 pm   1

“What would you say attracts players to Doom 3 over games like Uncharted 3: Drake’s Deception and the Call of Duty series? ”

Nothing for this particular player. Uncharted is leagues ahead of Doom and it’s clones in every department; story, graphics, gameplay, characters, etc. Never cared much for Doom even when it was brand new. Found far more gameplay, depth and atmosphere (and better music) in the technologically more primitive Hired Guns on Amiga (four players on one machine was a heck of a nice bonus back then in 1993 too).

zerolaff 22 June, 2012 @ 2:24 pm   2

Looks like Doom 4 has been postponed afterall..

This looks amazing. Just one small question, where there be trophies for each game – Doom, Doom 2 & Doom 3 (like the other trilogy games) or will there be one Doom BFG list?

bennyrafal 22 June, 2012 @ 2:47 pm   4

im always rotfling when someone mentions Doom or Quake, im rotfling from Carmacks words, he said that is not possible to make Doom or Quake on amiga computers :D hahah, who needs them now… code is free and was ported on dozens of platforms…

Catkiller1 22 June, 2012 @ 3:22 pm   5

I personally can’t wait :)

I was hoping to see the Original Doom & Doom 2 titles as PS1 Classics, but obviously that never happened :( The original titles will bring back some great memories & nostalgia for me.

@ Simon

Any chance of ever seeing Final Doom released?

Please release a Quake 4 collection with Quake 3 & the first 2 titles!

Make sure you price it right though! £29.99 would be the maximum.

supersmith2500 22 June, 2012 @ 3:29 pm   6

I’m so glad Bethesda and Id Software is re-releasing this on 360 and PS3. Seriously hope Doom I and II doesn’t have the music slowed down like what Wolfenstein 3D did and also improved the sound effects too. Nerve and Activision did a bad job with the music in the port so let’s hope Bethesda and whoever ports this improves it.

Keep up the great work Id. =D

“four-player split screen play going on” ? For DOOM 2 i think? If so i will buy it! :P (or is it for DOOM 3 as well?)

+ You couldn’t do ‘Quake 3: Revolution’ HD update with Trophies id please? ? ? :P :P :P That was one BRILLIANT 4 player split-screen game(with Bots) on the PS2(+ i still play it on my PS2 with mate round) ;)

Unicronic 22 June, 2012 @ 3:30 pm   8

@1 Carnivius_Prime, it’s a very naive statement to compare Doom 1&2 of back then with Uncharted of now.

Doom 1&2 redefined gaming and commercially established the FPS genre. Not many games can boast that.

Bovrillor 22 June, 2012 @ 3:39 pm   9

If ID learned anything from RAGE it should’ve been this: If you can’t be bothered to FINISH making a game, don’t bother making it at all.

Frankly I think Bethesda should just ditch ID and focus on fixing their own shoddy games.

Catkiller1 22 June, 2012 @ 3:52 pm   10

@ Unicronic

Don’t forget to include Doom 3 too! It’s nearly 8 years old comparing it to something that’s nearly 8 months old…….DAFT to say the least & they are very different games. I didn’t really play Doom 1 & 2 for the ummmmmm story lol!

Uncharted 3 was great visually & the story telling was fantastic but after the Campaign for me, I thought to myself “Is that it?” Still had it’s glitches & occasional screen tears too! The Multiplayer element was okay but I got bored quickly. I don’t know what it was, but for me it was simply meh! Way over-hyped. I must be getting put off slightly with 3rd person & FPS titles now, as I can’t stand BF3 now & I only put 4 hours into MW3. Doom 3 BFG will excite me again at least ;)

Not worth arguing though, as Carnivius deleted me just because I preferred BF3. PATHETIC

We all have a difference in opinion otherwise life would be so boring. We’re not all wired up the same & i’m open-minded when it comes to peoples opinions & not stubborn, like others!

RoboAddy 22 June, 2012 @ 4:03 pm   11

I’m starting to doubt if I’ll even need to buy Black Ops 2 if this has fully-functioning multiplayer!

DrSHREEVEERA 22 June, 2012 @ 5:38 pm   12

Its almost end of JUNE and we have yet hear a clear date for YOUTUBE app for PS Vita!

When will the YOUTUBE app be available for PS Vita??

Nemez0r 22 June, 2012 @ 7:06 pm   13

Hooray for the inclusion of the original version! Mounted flashlight is just terrible. +1 for id!

Lejenko 22 June, 2012 @ 9:28 pm   14

Day one buy for me! loved doom 3 when it first came out on PC and laughed at the criticism it got for doing nothing new at the time, simply wouldn’t have felt like doom if it wasn’t a straight out corridor shooter. Carmack get it spot on when making this game. always will be the daddy of FPS

grathite 23 June, 2012 @ 9:14 am   15

cant wait for this, never finished the games so this will be great

neutronbomb 23 June, 2012 @ 10:26 am   16

I’m going to wait for ps3 reviews b4 I get this. Been hearing they’ve had a job getting our version to run well.

CoolRichy008UK 23 June, 2012 @ 12:10 pm   17

hey catkiller Carnivius is pathetic for life no onder people hate him lol Carnivius_Prime more like Carnivius lame LOL

Mixelmagic 24 June, 2012 @ 2:25 am   18

Two bitter (ex?) Amiga users in the first five comments? That has to be a record. (Hired Guns was awesome though, if nothing like Doom. It had hardly any music tracks either – the best being on the prolonged loading screens, while doom has a tonne of now classic tracks.)

I love the gameplay of Doom and Doom 2 more than any FPS since. They’re truly exceptional, fast and fun still. So pleased that they’re coming to PS3 with split screen – that will be a blast! Will be nice to play a no nonsense simple FPS for a change.

Another thing I like about these older FPS is you can actually explore and get somewhat lost rather than being funnelled down whatever corridor/shooting gallery the devs choose. I even miss searching for key-cards! (Never thought I’d say that)

Catkiller1 24 June, 2012 @ 11:15 am   19

@ CoolRichy008UK

Bit harsh wasn’t it?

I didn’t mean Carnivius_Prime is Pathetic but the reason why he deleted me was. He’s far from pathetic. I’ve had many conversations with him & he’s a very intelligent fellow.

Also “hate” is a very strong word & I wouldn’t say people hate him in the slightest.

We just have a difference in opinion.

yeah I will be revisiting those classic doom moments.

LittleBigDragonz 24 June, 2012 @ 8:07 pm   21

” Much of the team who worked on the futuristic shooter RAGE contributed to this ”

Looks like PS3 will get the crap then. Oh well, Time will tell.

Immortal-Wolf-- 27 June, 2012 @ 3:37 pm   22

Simon Bramble you trying to scam PSN users really as we all know DOOM for PC is FREE to download so is Soldier of Fortune II is FREE to download on PC as well!

Immortal-Wolf-- 27 June, 2012 @ 3:41 pm   23

Simon Bramble can you smell what the ROCK is cooking its a BFG as DOOM HD is FREE to download on PC. PSN scampering money!

Immortal-Wolf-- 27 June, 2012 @ 3:53 pm   24

DOOM / DOOM 2 / DOOM 3 / DOOM HD all FREE To download on any PC! Is PSN scampering DOOM money = YES / BFG Time on PSN bye bye BOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM!

Atomic_robot77 27 June, 2012 @ 7:56 pm   25

Im struggling to get excited about this. Is it just me or are there far too many remakes coming out at the moment?