Posted 28 June

BBC Sports App Now Available On PS3!

BBC Sports Application Coming To PlayStation 3!

Those of you with keen eyes and a twitter account (pointed straight at @PSAccess for UK PlayStation goodness) will know that the BBC Sports App is now available as a beta trial in the UK!

Downloading the app is stupendously easy. Just follow these steps:

• Start your PlayStation3 system and sign in to PlayStation Network
  • On the XMB menu, navigate to the TV/Video Services category
  • Select “My Channels” with the X button
  • Locate the BBC Sport Beta icon (Pro tip. It’s big, yellow and says “BBC Sport” on it)
  • Download the app as prompted. It’s 32MB in size. Once installed, it’ll start automatically
  • When you want to access the BBC Sport app in future, just select it from the TV/Video Services menu – no need to go into “My Channels”

Currently the app will give you video coverage across 3 events: Euro 2012, Formula 1 and Wimbledon. Each sport has a “News & Catchup” section which allows you to watch short videos with the latest highlights, news and interviews; and a “Live Coverage” panel where you can catch live streaming coverage from each of the events. You can even access the XMB whilst using the app to send messages and spoil the scores for your mates. Bliss.

The BBC Sport app is in beta, so if you spot anything amiss whilst using it, please let us know over on the PlayStation Forums here and we’ll pass it on to the BBC.

Keep your eyes on the blog for more news about the BBC Sport App, especially in the run up to the London 2012 Olympics!

Enjoy,

MB

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

38 Comments 9 Author replies
Show oldest first

Dionisiy 28 June, 2012 @ 10:08 am   1

Will be BBC Sports in Russia?

MusterBuster 28 June, 2012 @ 10:58 am

Sorry Dionisiy. Because this is provided by the BBC, it’s UK only.

sully1311 28 June, 2012 @ 10:18 am   2

Why would it be in Russia? UK only!

@Dionisiy expect UK only

AU7thGear 28 June, 2012 @ 10:21 am   4

Nice! Will it come to any other countries eventually! Australia always misses out on the good apps! :(

sentry-23 28 June, 2012 @ 10:26 am   5

This is something a lot of people outside the UK would be happy to subscribe to, to cover the absence of license fees.

thekiddfran 28 June, 2012 @ 10:27 am   6

Any chance of this coming to Ireland? Please!! We have the BBC on our TV also!

KC-alpha-14 28 June, 2012 @ 10:37 am   7

I have troubles with the audio coming out of this app. Any clues? Sounds tinny.

MusterBuster 28 June, 2012 @ 2:40 pm

It’s something that the BBC devs are aware of and working to resolve KC :)

Used it once the other day, the picture quality is garbage, like watching ITV digital “back in the day”, so pixelated and compressed.

Here’s hoping they include a HD button later on else it’s pretty much useless at the moment.

I tried it the other day & it’s well good:P Love the football bit:D

greekgoddj 28 June, 2012 @ 11:09 am   10

The beta had audio issues where the front stereo feeds where going to the rear speakers. I hope this is fixed.. otherwise it is cool.

MusterBuster 28 June, 2012 @ 2:34 pm

Yes, this is something that was posted in the forums already. We’ve made the BBC aware of it and they’re working to resolve the issue as we type :)

KeithoMahony 28 June, 2012 @ 11:25 am   11

Ireland already have RTE so could we be getting RTE Sport?

I understand this is UK only. It’s BBC. I watch it often on my satelite tv but I know UK taxpayers should only be the on to have access to that content.
BUT
I would love to see Sony try to provide all counties with their own apps. It’s not asking your customers to call their tv stations for that but Sony that has to make it easy for them to be on this console and NOT the other. I don´t see Sony actively persuing and that is kind off disapointing.

claymore71 28 June, 2012 @ 11:53 am   13

Is the app coming to ps vita anytime soon?

MusterBuster 28 June, 2012 @ 2:42 pm

No plans as yet claymore71. Hopefully the BBC will consider it if the PS3 app proves successful :)

dose_uk 28 June, 2012 @ 12:36 pm   14

I’ve looked at this a couple of times, and every time I have problems running the clips for each sport. I more often that not get a ‘this video is unavailable’ message. Very frustrating.

Clewis94 28 June, 2012 @ 12:37 pm   15

Hello it’s nice but i cant seem to watch anything i get an error ever time.

vonhammer 28 June, 2012 @ 1:13 pm   16

Got it a few days ago.Apart from the quality its ok.But wont use again until live is in HD.

DAVIE222 28 June, 2012 @ 1:27 pm   17

uh….this apps been avalible for like a week now…

DAVIE222 28 June, 2012 @ 1:28 pm   18

MusterBuster please re add me on PSN. im verry sad you deleted me :(

I used it at the weekend, for me the only thing missing is “Motogp” it should be in the watch list.

manutreble 28 June, 2012 @ 1:38 pm   20

i think someone should make a uk play station blog to the uk only it would stop people from the rest of Europe gettin upset like the U.s has its own

ShadowhunterrX 28 June, 2012 @ 1:45 pm   21

Good idea , you guys need a SCUK and PS blog UK.

MusterBuster 28 June, 2012 @ 2:36 pm

We have a SCE UK – I work for them! We never set up a UK specific blog because until recently there hasn’t been a need. Lately though you guys are starting to convince me otherwise. I’ll have some talks with colleagues and see what the best option is.

Too sad that it is UK only, I like to read BBC Sports and #bbcfootball. So much fun when the English manage to quit a tournament. Especially when it happens against us. ;)

@Mythbuster
Don’t trouble yourself. It is obvious that this is UK exclusive and it is also logical why it is exclusive. So if someone thinks that he has to complain, he’ll find a reason so or so.

fauxtronic 28 June, 2012 @ 2:45 pm   23

I imagine that would leave people in countries like Ireland even more disadvantaged because the populations are so small that it’s hardly cost effective for Sony to develop individual blogs for them.

Also, @KeithoMahony’s point is interesting because I believe there’s a TV sharing deal in Ireland which results in the Republic of Ireland getting BBC channels in exchange for Northern Ireland getting their RTÉ channels. I can understand them feeling put out if that’s the case.

tomhart9 28 June, 2012 @ 2:48 pm   24

I like having all the F1 videos in one place on my TV :)
One small annoyance, using the Bluetooth Remote of my PS3 the app doesn’t respond to the “Enter” button. I know, I know I only have to move my finger a few centimeters but its just a bit irritating when every other thing on the PS3 uses it lol.

Tom911GT3RS 28 June, 2012 @ 3:08 pm   25

This app is amazing XD There is no buffering what so ever! As soon as I click on the video is plays straight away. It’s not like I have a good internet connection because iPlayer buffers alot, even on standard quality :(

supersmith2500 28 June, 2012 @ 3:26 pm   26

Awesome, works like a charm for a Beta form. Would watch Euro 2012 but it’s shame because England played poorly and lost to Italy.

SWE1tlUC3 28 June, 2012 @ 5:05 pm   27

Hej

supersmith2500 28 June, 2012 @ 6:36 pm   28

So MB, will the BBC Sport app be on there as temp or forever?

Btw, can’t wait to see some F1 and the London 2012 live.

FBZ1501 29 June, 2012 @ 6:51 am   29

Great useful App but really needs HD, hopefully this will happen pre Olympics.

Will the Tour de France be on here too?

Also BBC iPayer and BBC Sport App for Vita please!

As for a UK Blog… ironically we should have use got a UK PSN Store from day 1.
Reckon SCEE is a mess and breaking off a UK branch would only make more of a mockery of the SCEE PSN services.

MusterBuster 29 June, 2012 @ 9:18 am

Hey FBZ, the PlayStation Store works very differently to the blog. There, you’ll only ever see content available in your country.

r00usku 29 June, 2012 @ 11:28 am   30

Yes! We should have a blog without UK only crap!
Or you should hire some non-UK Sony peons here.

UK people +kb

lianplay_1985 29 June, 2012 @ 12:46 pm   31

Will there be a link up to BBC iplayer for sport related programmes such as MOTD, and F1. as well, will it have up to date information and news from this app.

h3nr1_97 29 June, 2012 @ 6:01 pm   32

Cool can’t wait to try it wen im on a ma ps3 and ill give u all some suggestions after goin on it XD

h3nr1_97 1 July, 2012 @ 1:48 pm   33

It LAGS and freezes mostly wen i use it NEEDS Imporovements

I was wondering if you knew if Match of the Day in HD would be shown.

animal338 2 July, 2012 @ 3:41 am   35

i cant get the videos to load it says their unavailable on all the ones i try

oO-WAFFLE-Oo 2 July, 2012 @ 7:10 pm   36

Their needs to be a picture size menu i was watching wimbledon and could only see half the screen and couldnt do anything about it :@ ther mite be away to fix it manually if so please tell thanks

podzzzzzzzzzzzzz 3 July, 2012 @ 11:54 am   37

great

nemo20000 3 July, 2012 @ 12:16 pm   38

Picture quality for me was really good, but I have a very good connection.

However, the UI itself is very laggy. Even the simple “choose channels” screen that only has four choices – there’s half a second delay between pressing a direction button and the highlight moving. Half a second might not sound like much but it feels a long time and there’s no reason for it. Very strange.