Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 8:34pm

Free Pure Chess DLC This Summer, Help Inspire A Name

We launched Pure Chess on PSN earlier this year, and it’s the first chess game available for download on both PS 3 and PS Vita. Later this summer, we’ll be releasing a new downloadable chess set which will be offered free to all PSN users — and that’s where you come in! We want you to help inspire a name for the upcoming set, which you can do by submitting an idea via Twitter (see full instructions below). Here’s an exclusive sneak peek of the upcoming downloadable set to get your creative juices flowing…

Pure Chess_1

Pure Chess_3Pure Chess_7

The set is available in both plastic and metal materials and will be playable in any of the three locations featured in the main game (Museum, Study, and Penthouse).

But what should we call this new set? Tweet us your naming suggestion to @RipstoneGames and include #PureChessComp so we can find your submissions! If you want to enter multiple times, just send multiple Tweets.

We’ll select 50 random participants (North America and EU entries only) who will will receive a copy of the game for either PS3 or PS Vita, along with the ‘Park’ and ‘Forest’ DLC packs which are already available in the PlayStation Store. If you win, make sure you’re following @RipstoneGames so we can DM you your winning code! We will notify random winners within 21 days of the closing date.

You’ll need to be quick – you can start providing name suggestions via Twitter now but be sure to send an entry by this Friday, July 13th at 11:59 Pacific Time, after which we will stop taking suggestions.

Pure Chess aims to reflect the beauty and depth of the widely respected game. Chess is one of the world’s most played, popular and recognized games and to reflect this, Pure Chess was developed with the aid of a chess Grandmaster, the highest title a chess player can attain. Created by independent games developers VooFoo Studios, the title aims to appeal to a wide audience with various tutorials to allow beginners to take part, improve their chess skills and become a Grandmaster in their own right. Pure Chess is a classic strategy board game which is brought to life with stunning graphics and a series of interactive game modes.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

11 Comments 1 Author replies
Show oldest first
chrisboers 11 July, 2012 @ 9:46 pm   1

Great idea, and I have some suggestions in mind. However, I’m not quite sure if you’re aiming for a funny wordplay-joke, or a more serious name, that describes the set.
Your earlies chess set names suggest the latter. Can you enlighten me? Thanks!

Michelle Senior 12 July, 2012 @ 9:23 am

We’re open to either suggestions – let your imagination run wild.

SuperMegaUltraMe 11 July, 2012 @ 9:49 pm   2

Checkmate !

Don’t use twitter.
I was kind of disapointed that I had to buy this game twice for both systems so I didn’t. I bought it on the PS3 and was kind of disapointed that I couldn’t direct the camera in a way I wanted to view the playfield during the whole match.

RicSim2K 12 July, 2012 @ 10:10 am   4

This game would have been ideal for me on Vita but unfortunately I jumped into too quickly & purchased it on PS3. I enjoyed the hour I messed about with it but highly doubt it will see the light of day again. I’m not buying it twice as it should have been clearly advertised that a Vita version would be available to purchase a week later.

I wish i knew how to play Chess.

Catkiller1 12 July, 2012 @ 11:53 am   6

@ aseddon

There are some fantastic tutorials explaining in great detail how to play, including some advanced tips on how to counter etc.

The graphics, physics & play by mail mode ( Basically you and a friend from your friends list exchange moves back and forth through XMB messages, which simulates how players play in real life) make this game great!

Time to move

ipitythevoofool 12 July, 2012 @ 12:49 pm   8

It’s bad enough that VooFoo studios did two releases for the game a week apart and that the game has a shoddy way of “online” gameplay. But none of the DLC for the game is compatible with each other. Don’t buy all of them if you want to mix and match.

This was said on their forums:

“It will never be possible to completely mix and match any future DLC set with any other environment.”

Don’t pay money if you want customization.

smallgaffer 12 July, 2012 @ 6:00 pm   9

The Boom Package

CometOnFire 12 July, 2012 @ 6:30 pm   10

Kings and Queens, tower rush, chess revolt and finally make your move

SAVIONW1998 12 July, 2012 @ 8:46 pm   11

sticks and stones or Kill him