Triangle Circle Shapes
Square Cross Shapes

Posted 1:00pm

‘Heads-Up’ PlayStation Plus Update – 18th July 2012

It’s the middle of July, it’s time for an update to Your Instant Game Collection!

Two new titles for you this week, from Wednesday’s Store update.

The first is Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light (84), a fantastic isometric co-op adventure, starring everyone’s favourite grave robber.

With Lara Croft and the Guardian of Light, enjoy a classic formula of combat, exploration, puzzles, and breathtaking visuals in this fast-paced arcade experience. Team up with a friend or go at it alone as you traverse deadly traps, fight hordes of undead enemies, and collect dozens of weapons, artefacts and relics.

Our friends from Square Enix have also thrown in all five downloadable content packs at 50% off, including three sets of challenges and story missions, as well as two sets of character skins that let you play as either Raziel and Kain (from the Legacy of Kain series) or Kane and Lynch.

All these packs will be 50% off exclusively for Plus-members for two weeks from Wednesday.

The second addition this week is Saints Row 2 (82), the craziest sandbox ever to grace the gaming world and another one you’ll recognise from SCEA’s Plus re-launch line-up.

Saints Row 2 brings true freedom to open-world gaming. Limitless customisation, multiplayer co-op, competitive multiplayer and killer combat are just a few of the features that make Saints Row 2 the most over the top sandbox in gaming.

Vehicles can be fully customised along with your crib. The full co-op story campaign has seamless integration (for example, one player drives while the other shoots). An array of awesome vehicles like planes, helicopters, motorcycles, boats and cars can be piloted and used as weapons. Over 40 missions, new activities, diversions, races, weapons, vehicles, cribs, city districts, and interiors make Stilwater over 50% larger than before.

Saints Row 2 also comes with three fantastic add-on packs to fill out your experience, and of course, they’re 50% off for the first two weeks, again exclusively for Plus-members.

This week we’ve also got a launch discount on NASCAR 2011, 20% off for the next month, giving you the chance to drive around and around in a gigantic circle at high speeds without risking grizzly death.

And on the 25th July, we’ll be launching Foosball 2012 from Grip Digital, again at 20% off for a full month from launch. Best of all, if you buy the PS3 version, you’ll get the PS Vita version absolutely free!

Put a date in your diary, 1st August is our next big update to Your Instant Game Collection, when we wave goodbye to Deus Ex: Human Revolution and replace it with the next big hitting Game of the Month.

What will it be? Time will tell. I won’t. But I might drop some hints again because we all had a good laugh.

Oh, just one last thing, there are some pretty nice bonus items to grab in August. More on that in two weeks.

See you in the comments!

The Instant Game Collection

PlayStation Plus Instant Game Collection
Don’t forget the eight other fantastic games available to download for PlayStation Plus subscribers.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution (89)

THE TRUTH WILL CHANGE YOU. To save his life after a deadly attack, Adam Jensen had no choice but to become physically augmented with cybernetics. Driven by his need for answers, he soon finds himself chasing down leads all over the world. The choices he makes, as he unravels a vast conspiracy, will help determine the fate of humanity.

Deus Ex: Human Revolution will be available until 1st August 2012

Darksiders (83)

Deceived by the forces of evil into prematurely bringing about the end of the world, War – the first Horseman of the Apocalypse – stands accused of breaking the sacred law by inciting a war between heaven and hell. Dishonored and stripped of his powers, War must return to Earth to search for the truth and punish those responsible.

Darksiders will be available until 15th August 2012

Renegade Ops (80)

Renegade Ops is the most explosive experience on PSN. Control five different vehicles on land and air, each with unique abilities in stunning environments. Power up your skills for the ultimate in destruction. Play alone or team up offline with two player split screen and experience the chaos of four-player online co-op with your friends.

Renegade Ops will be available until 15th August 2012

Outland (83)

In the middle of Balance and Chaos, now stands one man whose efforts may bridge the ancient divide, or doom the world to destruction. The award-winning studio Housemarque, maker of Super Stardust HD, has created an ambitious platformer inspired by epic adventures such as the Prince of Persia series. Each player’s adventure will take him between light and darkness and force him to adapt to an ever-changing world.

Outland will be available until 12th September 2012

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD (82)

In the dusty, undeveloped wastelands of Western Mudos, cantankerous townsfolk find their settlements besieged by belligerent outlaws. Along comes Stranger, a tall, dark and enigmatic bounty hunter with a mission to capture troublemakers and scoundrels and return them to civilized townships for incarceration. But Stranger is keeping a secret and needs expensive surgery to survive. In his quest to earn enough Moolah, Stranger reluctantly accepts the ultimate bounty from the owner of the Mongo River and suddenly his adventure takes a very different turn.

Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD will be available until 12th September 2012

inFamous 2 (83)

When Empire City comes under attack from a mysterious creature known only as “The Beast”, not even the electric super powers of Cole MacGrath can save the town from complete destruction. Battered and defeated, Cole finds himself fleeing towards the southern U.S. city of New Marais in search of a way to overcome this powerful new nemesis. Playing as Cole, explore the vast, decaying metropolis of New Marais and form relationships with the good people of the city, or side with their corrupt counterparts.

Available all year round.

MotorstMotorStorm Apocalypse on PlayStation Plusorm Apocalypse (77)

Test your bottle and your reflexes as you hit the streets of a crumbling city in 40 nerve-shattering races. Take your chances against the apocalypse in 13 awesome vehicle classes, from rocket-powered superbikes and lightning-fast rally cars, to formidable monster trucks and fearsome big rigs. Create your own online race events for up to 16 players, customise and share thousands of vehicles and unlock tons of perks and rewards to smash the opposition and climb the global leaderboards.

Available all year round.

LittleBigPlanet 2 (91)

Download LittleBigPlanet 2 and take your Sackboy on an adventure packed with clever tools, quirky characters and loads of multiplayer fun. Get creative and build absolutely anything you can imagine, from shoot-’em-ups and racing games to your very own movies and music. Then share your unique creations online with the rest of the LittleBigPlanet community. There are millions of levels out there just waiting to be discovered, all built by fellow LittleBigPlanet fans right across the globe.

Available all year round.

Huge Discounts

NASCAR 2011 at 20% off until 15th August

NASCAR The Game 2011 takes the next generation of NASCAR racing games to a whole new level finally capturing the very essence of what makes NASCAR America’s number one motorsport.. Players can choose to play as themselves or as one of the sport’s real-world drivers as they battle it out for the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series Championship. Each pro driver has the AI characteristics of his or her real world counterpart, setting the stage for intense rivalries played out on the track. Damage is meticulously detailed and multi-car wrecks are the most extreme ever experienced in an officially licensed racing game.

Foosball 2012 at 20% off from 25th July until 22nd August

Buy this game and get the PlayStation Vita version FOR FREE. For the first time ever, play foosball on your PlayStation 3, with local and online multiplayer, global leaderboards and full cross-compatibility with PlayStation Vita. Play this game and hone your skills to crush the online competition, or get together with your friends and enjoy foosball like never before.

Did you enjoy this?

Comments

290 Comments 36 Author replies
Show oldest first
fauxtronic 17 July, 2012 @ 1:02 pm   1

Ah, that’s the very first time I already own one of the titles (Saints Row 2), but it was inevitable at some point so I’m not bothered. It’s been over ten years since I controlled Lara Croft in any shape or form, so I’m looking forward to playing around with that. Thanks!

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:10 pm

I can confirm that over the next couple of months there’s at least 3 brand new titles that are going to be available in Plus, so don’t lose heart. :)

SGTSTEELFACE 17 July, 2012 @ 1:03 pm   2

Thanks Ross love the update Deus ex is brilliant on my 2nd playthrough trophy hunting then il turn to these games

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:11 pm

Very pleased you’re enjoying it, I too need to bash through my second playthrough.

Roxas598 17 July, 2012 @ 1:05 pm   3

Ugh got saints row 2 with saints row 3 (like most people who like saint row or bought saints row 3 did) so picking saints row 2 as the game really wasn’t a good choice IMO but can’t win them all I guess

FortyPercent 17 July, 2012 @ 1:06 pm   4

Loving Deus Ex so far since it was put up, and Saints Row 2 could be great. Thanks for the update.

Roxas598 17 July, 2012 @ 1:07 pm   5

Ross is there no day 1 discount for dyad for us or Is this clarification that we aren’t actually getting it tomorrow?

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:25 pm

DYAD is not on our release schedule for tomorrow but we’ve confirmed it’ll have a Plus discount a launch.

Bacon_Crispies 17 July, 2012 @ 1:07 pm   6

Already own Lara but interested in Saints Row 2, played 3 recently and it was awesome.

fauxtronic 17 July, 2012 @ 1:07 pm   7

Btw, are the current Deus Ex DLC prices discounted for PS+ users? It will be a month or two before I can get around to playing them and I don’t really want to get my credit card out yet until I have a few more things to buy.

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:13 pm

Hello – yes the DLC and the PS2 version of Deus Ex will revert to full price from tomorrow’s update – if you want to take advantage of the 50% off deals you’ll need to pick them up before tomorrow’s update.

You can actually pick up all the DLC for less than £5 at the moment.

SGTSTEELFACE 17 July, 2012 @ 1:07 pm   8

@ everyone its gonna be inevitable that we will have some games already such as I already had infamous 2 ,lbp 2, outland and darksiders when the game collection launched and its still a good deal

hfred123 17 July, 2012 @ 1:09 pm   9

Yet another game that most gamers bought at release.. I think the people who wanted saints row 2 has already bought it. I preferred the way ps+ worked before, giving free games that not a lot of people had heard about. Also, I think the games in the US ps+ has been better if you are going to offer games most people that wanted them already have.

Oh, and during last heads up, you said we should say if we wanted you to give all the months free games at the start of the month instead of spacing it out like this. I would much prefer you gave everything at the start.

Thanks

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:21 pm

The reason we’ve created PlayStation Plus Presents in Europe is specifically to ensure that plus members will get the chance to play top-notch games that perhaps wouldn’t be on everyone’s radar, and you’ll also see plenty more games in the IGC that people won’t own.

If you’re a really engaged buyer of brand new games, there’s plenty of value to be had in the way of launch discounts coming up as well.

fauxtronic 17 July, 2012 @ 1:09 pm   10

@Bacon_Crispies Just don’t expect SR2 to be anything like SR The Third. The graphics, physics, etc., don’t compare at all, but it is still very enjoyable once you get past all of that.

Playtoy_17 17 July, 2012 @ 1:09 pm   11

HI ross

Please answer

1. Can you ask Telltale games to give us Wallace and Gromit’s grand adventures to PSN.I have done everything in my power to contact them (email, Facebook, twitter) but they haven’t replied at all and your the last hope, please get this game as soon as possible, as this has been asked for a long time now please make it happen. I really want to play these games, as do many other people. I`d rather play these episodic games then any others by Telltale (walking dead, Jurassic park, Sam and max).

2. Please also push harder for Crash Bash, Myself and a lot of people would love to play this game, its not as if we can even get from the USA PSN as they don’t have it as well, with others like Tombi and Spyro, people can just buy them off USA PSN.

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:22 pm

I’ll pass your request on to the account manager for Telltale. Regarding PSone titles, Jawad is making strides in this area just recently so we’ll have some new ones coming through in the future.

chrisboers 17 July, 2012 @ 1:09 pm   12

Thanks for Lara Croft, I was hoping for that one.
As for Saints Row, this is the beauty of PS Plus. I would never have bought it, but now I get the chance to try it out anyway, and maybe even like it! :-)
All in all, great update, also on the DLC packages.

Chocobo115 17 July, 2012 @ 1:10 pm   13

Hey Ross,
Do you know (and is able to hint about) if there’s going to be any Buy a full year of PS+ and get 3 free months and/or a extra game for free before Christmas?
Will absolutely sign up for another year, but rather hold out for such offering.

S-o-h-a-i-l 17 July, 2012 @ 1:11 pm   14

Ross, thanks for the great games. Not a big fan of Saints Row but who can pass up a free game right.

I was just wondering if you could give us a hint at whats to come next month, also is another Vita sale possible ?

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:15 pm

Andy will be working on any upcoming Vita sales, as for hints on next month’s Game of the Month, I will be dropping a few on my Twitter feed.

Lara Croft: Guardian of Light – GREAT!
I liked the demo of this and have often been tempted to buy it but always had other games on the go at the time. Really pleased to get this.

Saints Row 2 – GOD NO!
Not for me, I won’t even play this tosh for free. Good to see variety though I guess.

PS- what do the bracketed numbers after the game names indicate? Are they review scores or something?

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:23 pm

Ah well, can’t win them all. :)
    The bracketed numbers are PS3 Metacritic scores, just so you have a quick reference.

I already own both games, unfortunately, and neither NASCAR, nor Foosball interest me. Plus, I already owned most of the 10 initial games that were on offer, either on PS3, or other platforms. Still waiting for these PS+ updates to offer me something.

I hear there will be a summer sale soon on the store, any news on that? Maybe a vague date, like July, or August?

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:26 pm

I can confirm that there is a Summer sale coming up but no info ont he timings yet. Andy will keep you updated.

young_hastings 17 July, 2012 @ 1:12 pm   17

i wish saints row 2 had trophies there is still hope for a patch if mgs4 is gonna get trophies soon. cool update though i like the way we get updates in the middle of the month as well as the start

Steez777 17 July, 2012 @ 1:12 pm   18

Nice

Looking forward to play Lara Croft & the Guardian of Light.

cheeky4life 17 July, 2012 @ 1:12 pm   19

HI ross

Its been a long time, I was wondering if we are any closer to getting Crash Bash yet, its been quite a while and it still hasnt released, is it having problems with Q&A as legally it should be fine as its a Sony game.

windsorblue01 17 July, 2012 @ 1:13 pm   20

saints row 2 a game so old no trophy support and got free when bought saints row the third cant believe people wanted this just because the americans had it sold mine £4.00 ebay glad to get rid of it

CookieMonsterES 17 July, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   21

Please, Ross, consider adding all the games for the month in one go as they do in the US/CAD Store.

S-o-h-a-i-l 17 July, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   22

Also is there any word on Sound Shapes release date for Europe as well as a PS plus discount like there is for the US ?

bregalad920 17 July, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   23

Very poor choices, how old is saints row 2 now and it also has no trophy support so trophy hunters don’t bother with this game, lots of people got this game free anyway with saints 3, and guardian of light really? Played the demo thought it sucks, there are better PSN games than this limbo is one. You should be fired for this crap!

sandystrachan 17 July, 2012 @ 1:14 pm   24

Meh …
20% is “Huge”?
@Ross any chance getting “DYAD” as part of our instant collection when its released .?
Any Beta coming .?
Better games in august ?.( ie games that arent 2years plus old ) .?
Current games so we get to use the online side to them …..
( probably wont reply ) .

AndyBeans 17 July, 2012 @ 1:15 pm   25

Meh nothing for me, SR2 has no trophies and the last Tomb Raider I played was the first one on PC. Does anyone know when Tony Hawk’s is out on PSN? I gather Microsoft nabbed ANOTHER timed exclusive -_-

devill7shash 17 July, 2012 @ 1:15 pm   26

hi Ross,
any news about when we will get Deus Ex in english on the belgium store?

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:29 pm

I’ll chase this for you, we definitely set about making this happen – I’ll make sure it’s taken care of.

johngenegenie 17 July, 2012 @ 1:15 pm   27

Thanks for the update… I’ll be picking up Saints Row 2 myself (never played a SR game, but heard decent things), but not Lara Croft. I already have that (Same with Deus Ex) – Ho Hum – At least I get one more game! Yippee!

Overall of late, I can’t complain with PS+ – I just now fear that there’ll be a constant revolving door of games that I have/had, as I am known to be an early adopter of games I want lol.

Not that that is your problem, of course – It’s mine ;P

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:18 pm

Don’t worry too much, I can absolutely guarantee 100% that there will be enough content you/anyone doesn’t already own included in the subscription to more than cover the cost of membership – not to mention plenty of extra savings on Special Offers and Plus exclusive discounts.

PerttiT 17 July, 2012 @ 1:16 pm   28

Not bad at all. How about Twisted Metal, Catherine and Limbo next month? Two Worlds II GOTY would be nice too. :)

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:30 pm

Nice suggestions – probably not next month because we have ‘plans’ but I’ll take those into consideration for sure.

Great titles but i’m still getting through darksiders! How do people go through games so quick. Anyway, great service, great blog, great content, I’m a converted playstation fanboy now. Getting so much for my money. Thanks Ross and Sony.

TroubleMaker411 17 July, 2012 @ 1:18 pm   30

@15 – MikLSP
Those bracketed number appear to be (by a quick search on their site) the opverall Metacritic scores
Although they went the cheeky route and planted the slightly higher score for Darksiders (which is deserved, from all accounts the other console had serious framerate issues that the PS3 didn’t see)

OT.
Cheers for the update Ross.
Nothing really for me, Maybe Lara Croft, but that’s it!

Looking forward to the games ahead. Considering the amount I buy, I can’t complain at a couple of updates with little to none for me!

dylanwiggan 17 July, 2012 @ 1:18 pm   31

Games without trophies should not be in the instant games collection in my opinion, as it means a lot of people will never play them. Looking forward to Tomb Raider though.

Carnivius_Prime 17 July, 2012 @ 1:19 pm   32

I don’t like any Tomb Raider game or Saints Row. Was hoping for Ratchet & Clank All 4 One like the US store has had for a lil while now but I hope that’s still on it’s way.

ShadowDoGGG 17 July, 2012 @ 1:19 pm   33

Are we not allowed in betas no more then? Even little big planet karting beta seemingly wasn’t open to ps+ members as far as I can tell, it’s owned by Sony.

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:31 pm

Oh, you’re well served on the Beta front, I assure you.
    They went a different direction with LBP Karting but you’ve got something special coming up.

Pacman_Ownage 17 July, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   34

As much as I appreciate all the big titles hitting Plus for free and discounts…

I’d much, much rather have PSN titles :/

The whole of PSN for me, is to play much smaller games that wouldn’t normally see the light of day. But having to keep downloading 10+ GB games when the majority I bought on disc, (because I prefer physical copies) is a bit of a kick.

But what you’ve done in particular this time with Guardian of Light, and Saints Row 2 is fine by me, as long as there is a choice for PSN titles and disc based games, I’m fine.

I know it’s apparently the future and all, and soon enough I’m going to have to go back to Scrabble and Monopoly when it’s raining.

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

Hey, I’d never knock Scrabble.
    Let me reassure you that we’ll never stop offering download only PSN titles in Plus, you have a few great ones coming up as part of PlayStation Plus Presents, you’ve got some classic PSN titles in the line-up going forward and of course if we offer a brand new game in Plus (and we’ve got some in the running) then they’ll always be PSN.

Also if it is possible Ross, could you make all the 3 games available to download at the start of the month like the US. Thanks

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

We’re going to have a bit of an experiment with this since opinion is divided.

Tha_soh 17 July, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   36

@devill7shash The English version is already a week in the Store :) Was fixed in a day.

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:33 pm

Oh thank goodness, I thought that should have been taken care of!

UnitedDevil 17 July, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   37

Cool, looking forward to these.

It’s becomming somewhat of a dilemma deciding if to buy certain games these days. Should I get Tony Hawk HD or will it be on PS + next month? Help!

Roscoe182 17 July, 2012 @ 1:20 pm   38

i gotta be honest here bit of a crappy deal giving us a game most ppl got for free when saints 3 launched.

its a 5 year old game and looks like its off a ps2 there isn’t any trophies and there is no online..

talk about bottom of the barrel being scrapped. very disappointing.

Xtro3000 17 July, 2012 @ 1:21 pm   39

got Lara . hated saints row. love ps plus. been member since start and it gets more worth it as time goes by. ur mad not to join

crackalakaling 17 July, 2012 @ 1:22 pm   40

any chance for Jak and Daxter trilogy as one of the free games? That would be sweet.

gr0undp0und 17 July, 2012 @ 1:23 pm   41

Preferred when we had PS2 and PS1 classics.

Will SCEE be supplying larger online storage or free HDD?

devill7shash 17 July, 2012 @ 1:25 pm   42

@Tha_soh i just looked yesterday and it was the same, i will check today when i get back home thank @Tha_soh and sorry Ross

This month 2 out of 3 are already in my position. The DLC for Tombraiders is not worth the price (not even with the discount) and Deus Ex should be in any collection. That leaves the o so crappy Saints Row 2. Kind of disapointed this month,
Anyway I stopped buying games because of plus and wait till next month for a better selection of games.

Will be picking up Nascar for sure, been looking into getting it recently and was extremely disappointed to see the game not available over here at all so it’s awesome to see a game that wouldn’t otherwise be released to be available for download.

Been wanting to get Lara Croft for a while so will give that a playthrough but although have SR2 on PC so nothing exciting there. Looking forward to whatever the next update will bring :).

toxic-inferno 17 July, 2012 @ 1:29 pm   45

Hey Ross!

Could you find out when the winners for the Weekend Debate will be announced?

Thanks

Roxas598 17 July, 2012 @ 1:29 pm   46

Ah damn I was looking forward to that :( any idea when we’ll be seeing dyad?

Ross McGrath 17 July, 2012 @ 1:36 pm

Sadly I don’t know at the moment, I’ll follow up with the account management guys and see what the plan is, but you will get your launch discount.

iapetus 17 July, 2012 @ 1:30 pm   47

Any news on when Vita/PSP will come out of the PS+ ghetto and get some content on here? There are still handheld gamers out there, you know…

Skookie30 17 July, 2012 @ 1:30 pm   48

Is that it another SCEE’s lessful of a plus update the olympics are so be here in UK & this very EU blog doesn’t mark it.

but SCEA does they get more discounts then 2 plus a further 2 free game so in fact it not 12 to start of now overall 14 games SCEA has we get 10 plus 1.

i like SCEE example what partially means, because we know what it means sony doesn’t.

McMahon-Man 17 July, 2012 @ 1:32 pm   49

Excellent work, well done to the PS+ team.

The 3 brand new games are likely to be PSN games right? I should still head out and buy any new boxed games I want?

zedmayer 17 July, 2012 @ 1:33 pm   50